QoW Update - Comic for 2/09

There are no monkeys in here. Really.

Moderator: Aeire

QoW Update - Comic for 2/09

Postby Aeire on Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:07 pm

Is now up
Queen of Wands - Wanna taste of religion? Lick a witch.
Aeire
Keenspot Despot

Postby squiddy on Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:11 pm

I just noticed that the comic loads insanely quicker. I'm assuming its because you're on keenspot instead of space or prime or whatever it was before
(Yeah I know this isn't a change that happened today, but I just noticed. and am glad!)

It's still good! Funny stuff.
Insert incredibly witty/hilarious/inspirational signature here.
squiddy
Keenspotter Supreme

1/09 comic

Postby DonShimoda on Sun Feb 08, 2004 10:14 pm

Yay! Boo Berry! Gotta love it! Brings back memories of Franken Berry, too, along with vague recollections of a mummy cereal, and a wolfman cereal (mixed fruit, perhaps? Can't quite remember...)

Too bad all you can find now is Count Chocula, except for Halloween.

Thanks for the nostalgia, Aeire!

(edited to put spaces in Boo Berry and Franken Berry - shame on me!)
"You always said people don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Bob Dylan, "Brownsville Girl"
DonShimoda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DamnedEyez on Mon Feb 09, 2004 12:09 am

Er...when did they change Boo Berry to only halloween? Or have I been eating old cereal all these years??

Edit: you can even order it online from General Mills http://specialty.generalmills.com/store/
DamnedEyez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam The Alien on Mon Feb 09, 2004 3:18 am

I don't think my local grocery stores carry Boo Berry even when it is Halloween...not for ages, at least.
Adam The Alien
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Paraboombo on Mon Feb 09, 2004 4:59 am

*pets his box of Boo_Berry*

Don't listen to them my precious. No my love, ignore the nasties.
Ave, GM, morituri te salutant.
Paraboombo
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby enchanter on Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:01 am

reminds me of my love of Mt Dew livewire. I have cases of that stuff in my house and buy it whenever i see it, even though they stopped selling it after the summer. It was a promotional thing.

they got me addicted, then they took it away.

::cry::

[edit: its coming back in April, just checked the site.]

(ps. captian crunch rocks)
Give a man fire he will be warm for a day, light a man on fire he will be warm for the rest of his life.
enchanter
Junior Keenspotter

Postby DonShimoda on Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:59 am

A quick Google search turned up the two I couldn't remember:

Fruit Brute (the werewolf) and Yummy Mummy, which was just Fruit Brute with a different name and monster...

Now I can sleep at night again...
"You always said people don't do what they believe in, they just do what's most convenient, then they repent." - Bob Dylan, "Brownsville Girl"
DonShimoda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DamnedEyez on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:57 am

I believe the full name was Fruity Yummy Mummy when it first came out. Alas, times were better before that...with just Count Chocula, Frankenberry and Boo Berry in the commercials.

Never saw the Werewolf, personally.
DamnedEyez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby LemonyFreshEvil on Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:36 am

I feel old just being able to remember those commercials.

Also Quisp cereal... some freaky thing with a propeller on his head.

Kinda glad movie advertisments haven't gone too far this way, I don't think the world would've been ready for 'Freddy vs. Jason Cereal' much less 'Matrix Bran'.
LemonyFreshEvil
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby jayjaybear on Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:06 pm

LemonyFreshEvil wrote:'Matrix Bran'.

Do your downloads get stuck? Are your chat rooms lagging? Message boards feeling a little slow?

Get "Matrix Bran" and your pipes will be wide open!
jayjaybear
Junior Keenspotter

Postby DonShimoda on Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:43 pm

Ah, Quisp - don't remember the commercials, but as a kid I remember happening upon a box of it on the shelf at the grocery store. The stuff wasn't bad, and yeah, I do remember an oddly psychedelic-looking character with a propellor-beanie...
DonShimoda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bloodeye on Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:48 pm

Matrix Barn.... so wrong, on so many not right levels.... and yet I can see it being a big seller, espically if it's like that weird mush stuff they eat in the movie.

Do vaugely recall the weird cereal charecters, but only one that's ever been of real intrest to me is Honeycomb and Lucky Charms.... though the later is starting to annoy me. Had perfectly fine marshmellows for years, and then started mucking it all up in promotions. Bah.
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby DamnedEyez on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:11 pm

Those marshmallows in Lucky Charms were fine to begin with...hell, I didn't even mind the Purple Horshoes too much...it just got ridiculous after that.

Matrix would need 2 cereals...the bran 'cream of wheat' type cereal to mimic what they were eating. And a sugar based cereal for the kids...Bright green in the shapes of the matrix screen characters. I'd probably try that.

(Now I want some Lucky Charms)
DamnedEyez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam The Alien on Mon Feb 09, 2004 10:35 pm

Hearts, stars, and clovers, horeshoes and balloons! Pots and golden rainbows, and the red balloons!

Give it another decade, their commercials will be twice as long just to accomodate a list of all the marshmallows.

Ah, but I have fond memories of all the cereal mascots. A lot of them have gotten so much more gimmicky and contest-happy over the years, though. You know why? Because these are the ones that now taste like crap, so they need contests and gimmicks and such to make you buy the cereal.

Especially Trix. WTF happened to my precious Trix? They were once so yummy, and then they changed the recipe...
Adam The Alien
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby squiddy on Mon Feb 09, 2004 11:26 pm

Anyone remember the cereal "Triples?" It wasn't a kids cereal..I can't stand that sugary crap (ducks all bullets aimed at her, what? it's gross!)

It had like puffed rice, puffed wheat, and puffed corn. It was SOOOO good. If anyone ever sees this shit in the aisles, you're so sending me some.
If you do, I'll send you a souvenior from Iowa. Like uhh..a corn cob with some mud stuck to it. Oh yeah.
Insert incredibly witty/hilarious/inspirational signature here.
squiddy
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RadioEyes84 on Tue Feb 10, 2004 12:15 am

I remember Triples...used to eat that stuff all the time. 'Twas good.

On a sidenote, I spent a good 5 minutes mopping soda off my keyboard because of this comic.... :-/
I think I hear my halo screaming...
RadioEyes84
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bloodeye on Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:08 pm

Remember Triples. Were decent, but not anything I really cared for. I need sugar first then in the morning. Sugar, caffinee, and steak....
bloodeye
Keenspot Despot

Postby Gerbie on Tue Feb 10, 2004 11:31 pm

RadioEyes84 wrote:On a sidenote, I spent a good 5 minutes mopping soda off my keyboard because of this comic.... :-/

Just soda? lucky.. after reading This S*P strip (you'll know which bit when you read it) I had to go buy some windex and clean rice and melted cheddar off my monitor. And when I told Randy about it, the only consolation he gave me was "My job is done."

Thanks to Randy I don't eat OR drink for 10 mintes before AND after I read webcomics!

As for cereals.. Froot Loops!! If I don't get froot loops in the morning the rest of the day tends to be vulgar and violent. GRAAAH!! Though there're a small number of slightly healthier ones I'll try on occasion: Chex, Corn Bran, Quaker Harvest Crunch.
Sailing on the seas of life under full sails, with no one at the helm.
Gerbie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RadioEyes84 on Wed Feb 11, 2004 12:01 am

I've learned that lesson well, now. No more soda with QoW...or S*P, for that matter!!
RadioEyes84
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Adam The Alien on Wed Feb 11, 2004 5:45 pm

squiddy wrote:Anyone remember the cereal "Triples?" It wasn't a kids cereal..I can't stand that sugary crap (ducks all bullets aimed at her, what? it's gross!)

:o

Gross? Sugary stuff? YOU LIE!

I couldn't live without my precious sugar...now, mind you, I agree that the flavor of some cerals fluxuate as they stupidly mess with the recipes (Trix was crap last time I tried it, after loving it for years; Lucky Charms went bad and then good again)...but some have never lost it (Froot Loops, baby!).

And I should probably add that, in Kestrel's defense...cereal that's only a few months old is still good. Look at those expiration dates...usually takes at the very least a year before it has to be taken off the store shelf, and even then it's still good for a bit.
Last edited by Adam The Alien on Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam The Alien
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Gerbie on Fri Feb 13, 2004 12:34 am

Adam The Alien wrote:And I should probably add that, in Kestrel's defense...cereal that's only a few months old is still good. Look at those expiration dates...usually takes at the very least a year before it has to be taken off the store shelf, and even then it's still good for a bit.

Dude.. when we used to go over to my grandma and grandpa's place, which was on a small-ish island near Vancouver (BC, Canada), we'd eat the cereal, just whatever they had at the time, cause they weren't hip enough to buy froot loops. Sometimes, if we felt courageous, we'd actually stop averting our eyes from the box and read the contests on them. Contests which said things like "All entries must be submitted by April 3, 1982." And we would read this in say.. 1994.

It's always fun to say "Hey mom! I'm eating cereal that's older than me! Check it out!" and watch her reaction.
Sailing on the seas of life under full sails, with no one at the helm.
Gerbie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Adam The Alien on Fri Feb 13, 2004 2:18 am

See, I never used to care about expiration dates.

Until an experience involving Apple Jacks. Now, not only was I dissapointed that I could not win the bike advertised on the box, as the contest was looooong over...but I also realised, after eating three fourths of a large bowl...that the cereal I was eating had more live bugs than it did cereal. And I never have identified those bugs. But let me tell you, that realization combined with the sensation of, believe it or not, at least two of the little suckers hanging on for dear life in my throat and another crawling on my tongue...

Oh, and that was an open box. It happened again not a year ago with a closed box of Raisin Bran.

Adam checks his cereal very, very carefully these days.
Adam The Alien
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DamnedEyez on Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:46 am

Raisin Bran seems good for it...sometimes those aren't really raisins.
DamnedEyez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby RadioEyes84 on Fri Feb 13, 2004 5:41 pm

Thank you Adam, I will now be obsessively checking every bite of cereal I consume from here until eternity.
RadioEyes84
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Queen of Wands