7/23/07 - Okay, so they do have comic books in this world.

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:59 am

The Rabbity Thing wrote:That name's pretty fitting, Paladin; you're an exemplary example of the negative connotations brought to mind by "paladin". You might find the livejournal forum more agreeable.




...that sentence had too many big words, ew.


Try as I might, I just can't find any evidence that Paladinman goes out and murders people who don't agree with him, or declares war over religion, are we thinking of the same guy?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
User avatar
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:26 am
Location: Probably not where I'm supposed to be

Postby NevrMore on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:01 am

Illusionist wrote:
The Rabbity Thing wrote:That name's pretty fitting, Paladin; you're an exemplary example of the negative connotations brought to mind by "paladin". You might find the livejournal forum more agreeable.




...that sentence had too many big words, ew.


Try as I might, I just can't find any evidence that Paladinman goes out and murders people who don't agree with him, or declares war over religion, are we thinking of the same guy?

Those are traits of paladins?!

Oh, fuck, oh fuck...I think I'm going to be sick. I have to re-evaluate my life, now.
Cut off your head. Don't hesitate. Do it today; it's great! Toss out your brains - they're a disease - cut off your head and think with your knees.
User avatar
NevrMore
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 5081
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:24 pm
Location: In a psychotic nightmare and loving it.

Postby Warde on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:50 am

NevrMore wrote:
Illusionist wrote:I thought it was violence.

No, no, no, violence is the answer to all life's problems.


Image
User avatar
Warde
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:28 am

Postby NevrMore on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:03 am

I once shot a man in Reno just to watch him die.
Cut off your head. Don't hesitate. Do it today; it's great! Toss out your brains - they're a disease - cut off your head and think with your knees.
User avatar
NevrMore
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 5081
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:24 pm
Location: In a psychotic nightmare and loving it.

Postby Warde on Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:04 am

When I hear that whistle blowin', I hang my head and cry.
User avatar
Warde
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Wed Sep 27, 2006 12:28 am

I kind of miss the old days of this comic.

Postby PsychicJester on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:17 am

Gemini Sun wrote:
PaladinMan wrote:
Gemini Sun wrote:AAAAARGH.

... I just. I can accept them having their own comic books, that is a bit of worldbuilding I'd be fine with.

I can't accept them having our comic books. I know it's supposed to be a cute reference but it doesn't belong in a constructed world. It just doesn't!


Maybe she was going to say something like Supermagus or Supermage? We don't know, she was interrupted before she could finish her taunt. :D

Chill.


No, we don't know, but it's clearly supposed to parse as "Superman", even if someone does say "So did you pick up this month's Supermagus issue?" later on - it's a classic style for referencing real-world properties in fiction, having someone start to say the name and be interrupted.

It just makes my teeth grind. I know Mookie is capable of better than this. He was DOING better than this, for a long stretch, and then suddenly there's this storyline that doesn't seem to be sure what it wants to be, and then hueg anachronistic comic book reference BAM right in the middle of an otherwise highly dramatic and disturbing situation.


That's the thing I liked the most about this comic... it was its own self contained and original universe. Previously, if there was any references to pop culture, they were really, really subtle.

"And for his next daring feat, SuperGreg will jump over a shark!"

*sigh*

The artwork has improved so much, but I miss the old days when Dominic just relied on himself and Luna. When Greg wasn't an overpowered healer/tanker. When we didn't know his parents were such influencial and powerful people. When he didn't have the fate of the whole world in his hands, like the Storm of Souls arc.

I miss the days when he was simply a grumpy, sarcastic ORACLE FOR HIRE. That subtitle doesn't even seem to fit anymore does it?
User avatar
PsychicJester
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 260
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 7:38 am
Location: Miami, Florida

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:27 am

San Quentin, I hate every inch of you.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
User avatar
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:26 am
Location: Probably not where I'm supposed to be

Postby hazardswake on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:08 am

PsychicJester wrote:That's the thing I liked the most about this comic... it was its own self contained and original universe. Previously, if there was any references to pop culture, they were really, really subtle.

"And for his next daring feat, SuperGreg will jump over a shark!"

*sigh*

The artwork has improved so much, but I miss the old days when Dominic just relied on himself and Luna. When Greg wasn't an overpowered healer/tanker. When we didn't know his parents were such influencial and powerful people. When he didn't have the fate of the whole world in his hands, like the Storm of Souls arc.

I miss the days when he was simply a grumpy, sarcastic ORACLE FOR HIRE. That subtitle doesn't even seem to fit anymore does it?


Seeing as we're all upset over his reveal that SUPERMAN exists as some sort of character in the DD-verse, I wouldn't be surprised if Mookie changes it to SUPERMAGUS or something just to dodge the bullet.

Seriously, unless one wants to give some sort of commentary on today's super hero comics, why would you make a fantasy world have our world's super heroes? I mean, even some comics set in a modern setting still make up their own heroes, even if they are blatant mirrors of existing superheroes.

This opens the floodgates for all sorts of references in DD to any sort of fiction that we have in our world. I mean, to have subtle puns like "Seer's Catalogue" is one thing, as the name just punishly coincides with a real-life counterpart and thus is funny, but on the other hand outright saying "YOU'RE DRESSED LIKE SUPERMAN!" really crushed things in my mind.

It's not world-shattering terrible, just something that seems overly unfortunate to me.

And no, I didn't think today's comic was funny, either. Maybe because of the above reasons.

The Rabbity Thing wrote:That name's pretty fitting, Paladin; you're an exemplary example of the negative connotations brought to mind by "paladin". You might find the livejournal forum more agreeable.


I dunno, I thought he proved himself worthy there at the end. Few will actually admit that they're argument wasn't holding together. Most people will just stop talking when they've got no counter-argument. I think Paladin's a-okay from what I've seen on this thread.
Image
Hazard's Wake the Webcomic!
User avatar
hazardswake
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3257
Joined: Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:35 am
Location: Burning in water and drowning in flames

Re: I kind of miss the old days of this comic.

Postby Zanfib on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:34 am

PsychicJester wrote:I miss the days when he was simply a grumpy, sarcastic ORACLE FOR HIRE. That subtitle doesn't even seem to fit anymore does it?


Thank you.
User avatar
Zanfib
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 45
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:22 am

Re: What a twist!

Postby Darlid01 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:21 am

synkr0nized wrote:Mookie has taken the initial joke, ran with it, and pulled a Forrest Gump, forgetting to stop to score the touchdown.

At this point, we may as well keep going. DD and friends live in the middle of Iowa.


Synk++
User avatar
Darlid01
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:45 am

Postby Sipex on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:23 am

So how long do you think it'll take for Pam to realise she has a passion for journalism and for Jacob to lose all his hair?
Interested in a play by post D&D 4th edition game?

D&D OOC thread
D&D IC thread
User avatar
Sipex
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:06 am
Location: Canada

Postby Merry on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:45 am

Sipex wrote:So how long do you think it'll take for Pam to realise she has a passion for journalism and for Jacob to lose all his hair?


I seriously doubt Jacob is a good Lex Luthor. Isnt there a rich bald bastard already in DD? I am not terribly fond of digging the archives atm, and his name escapes me...

I dunno, Superman was never interesting for me anyways, maybe its why i despise this Storyarc (yes, from the beginning with the "secret Identity") with all my heart. Superman is just too munchkin to be fun, in a Roleplayers worldview.
Yarr!
Merry
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 192
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:16 am
Location: Switzerland

Postby Sipex on Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:52 am

Oh yeah, completely forgot about him.

I wonder if he'll re-show himself?
Interested in a play by post D&D 4th edition game?

D&D OOC thread
D&D IC thread
User avatar
Sipex
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:06 am
Location: Canada

Postby PinkSpider on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:06 am

Probably not, now that everyone knows his horrible secret.

I hope the next strip is meteors falling on Greg and Snowsong, killing them both, so that this arc CAN JUST END.

Also: I missed some fun drama earlier, I read the comic and comment on it because it's fun (and quite easy) to make fun of it.
User avatar
PinkSpider
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:05 pm

Postby PaladinMan on Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:41 am

Illusionist wrote:
The Rabbity Thing wrote:That name's pretty fitting, Paladin; you're an exemplary example of the negative connotations brought to mind by "paladin". You might find the livejournal forum more agreeable.

...that sentence had too many big words, ew.


Try as I might, I just can't find any evidence that Paladinman goes out and murders people who don't agree with him, or declares war over religion, are we thinking of the same guy?


War over religion? What do I look like, a Christian fundamentalist?

Livejournals are not forums. They are journals with comment functions, and harder to read if one wants to follow a discussion.

And y'all need to chill, Bunny rabbit. My question was a legitimate asked one, not an attempt to drive him off. I was confused as to why NevrMore was still here if he was so frustrated with the comic. I've already conceded the win to him.
http://knightmysterio.tripod.com/whitetigershrine.html
--- Proud To Be White Tiger's Only Fanboy
User avatar
PaladinMan
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 11:37 pm
Location: The floating island, Alternia

Postby TdotOdot2k on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:01 am

Good god. I was hoping this would get better, not WORSE.

They have SUPERMAN in the Dominic Deegan world?!? So that means they read about a modern planet Earth? A Metropolis environment, with airplanes, trains, and automobiles? They read about Clark Kent and Lois Lane....this is just too much. Hulk Smash we could sort of maybe possibly relate to some crazy ass big monster in the DD world, perhaps a golem...but wow. Wow.

I think he could have gotten away with the action comics tribute in the last panel. That wouldn't be unforgivable, and it would be a nice little tribute.

Actually calling Gregory Superman? Where's that picture of Gregory jumping the shark? This is rediculous.

(And before someone decides to call me out on my opinion, I will make note that it's retarded to think everyone in the forum should go YAY MOOKIE and throw flowers everywhere. This place would be boring as hell, and the most fun I've had with the comic, was in the discussions of the good and the bad. If you just want to read YAY MOOKIE posts, then by all means, visit the LJ community. They're not bad people, but if you insult the comic, they're all over you, so constructive criticism isn't welcome there. So before anyone tells me to leave, I welcome them to go THERE. Chances are I was here first anyways. :lol:)
Dotty wrote:I almost see those two as disgrunted DD readers. Celesto is the casual fan who snaps after enough cliffhangers and racist/dumb bad guys, and proceeds to kill them one by one. TIM is a step further. He's completely lost his mind after the SuperGreg arc and proceeds to insert himself into the comic with the goal to kill absolutely anything that moves, as it might become a secondary cast member if he leaves it alone too long.
User avatar
TdotOdot2k
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4288
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:52 am
Location: TAMARA LOVE vs THE WORLD: The Game!

Postby Sipex on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:05 am

Okay, we need to stop telling each other to leave and crap (not saying you were saying that Tdot).

YES, it's okay to hate the comic.

YES, it's okay to like the comic.

And YES, it's okay to debate and argue about said comic.

I mean, after all, it's a forum.

But none of this "OMG, leave" crap, okay?
Interested in a play by post D&D 4th edition game?

D&D OOC thread
D&D IC thread
User avatar
Sipex
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3889
Joined: Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:06 am
Location: Canada

Postby PinkSpider on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:08 am

Here's a slapdash one I did, without putting in any effort.

Image
User avatar
PinkSpider
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:05 pm

And he brings forth clanBOB memes!

Postby synkr0nized on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:22 am

Darlid01 wrote:Synk++


Oh my God, it's Darlid! Hi!
Image
As if.
User avatar
synkr0nized
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 3506
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:00 am
Location: Everywhere, traitors.

Postby TdotOdot2k on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:43 am

PinkSpider wrote:Here's a slapdash one I did, without putting in any effort.

Image


I've seen one with that exact same Jumping shark picture...only it had color gregory there. That was the one i was calling for. Yours works just as well, though. :lol:
Dotty wrote:I almost see those two as disgrunted DD readers. Celesto is the casual fan who snaps after enough cliffhangers and racist/dumb bad guys, and proceeds to kill them one by one. TIM is a step further. He's completely lost his mind after the SuperGreg arc and proceeds to insert himself into the comic with the goal to kill absolutely anything that moves, as it might become a secondary cast member if he leaves it alone too long.
User avatar
TdotOdot2k
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4288
Joined: Sat Sep 20, 2003 4:52 am
Location: TAMARA LOVE vs THE WORLD: The Game!

Re: And he brings forth clanBOB memes!

Postby Darlid01 on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:47 am

synkr0nized wrote:
Darlid01 wrote:Synk++


Oh my God, it's Darlid! Hi!


Where? Oh, yeah. Hi!

I've been reading DD for a while, just more a lurker than a poster here.
User avatar
Darlid01
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:45 am

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:19 am

I'm just hoping this whole arc gets Dis Continuity'd.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
User avatar
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut
 
Posts: 4697
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:26 am
Location: Probably not where I'm supposed to be

Re: I kind of miss the old days of this comic.

Postby Gemini Sun on Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:15 am

PsychicJester wrote:
Gemini Sun wrote:
PaladinMan wrote:
Gemini Sun wrote:AAAAARGH.

... I just. I can accept them having their own comic books, that is a bit of worldbuilding I'd be fine with.

I can't accept them having our comic books. I know it's supposed to be a cute reference but it doesn't belong in a constructed world. It just doesn't!


Maybe she was going to say something like Supermagus or Supermage? We don't know, she was interrupted before she could finish her taunt. :D

Chill.


No, we don't know, but it's clearly supposed to parse as "Superman", even if someone does say "So did you pick up this month's Supermagus issue?" later on - it's a classic style for referencing real-world properties in fiction, having someone start to say the name and be interrupted.

It just makes my teeth grind. I know Mookie is capable of better than this. He was DOING better than this, for a long stretch, and then suddenly there's this storyline that doesn't seem to be sure what it wants to be, and then hueg anachronistic comic book reference BAM right in the middle of an otherwise highly dramatic and disturbing situation.


That's the thing I liked the most about this comic... it was its own self contained and original universe. Previously, if there was any references to pop culture, they were really, really subtle.

"And for his next daring feat, SuperGreg will jump over a shark!"

*sigh*

The artwork has improved so much, but I miss the old days when Dominic just relied on himself and Luna. When Greg wasn't an overpowered healer/tanker. When we didn't know his parents were such influencial and powerful people. When he didn't have the fate of the whole world in his hands, like the Storm of Souls arc.

I miss the days when he was simply a grumpy, sarcastic ORACLE FOR HIRE. That subtitle doesn't even seem to fit anymore does it?


Yes, exactly. I don't mind the occasional epic storyline, but the comic is really strongest when it's about the characters we like just doing stuff and going about their daily lives, letting us explore this world and the little details of how it works at a nice, unhurried pace. Gregory's development into what he is now was pretty cool by my books, but he was also REALLY INTERESTING as the crippled, blighted healer. Same with Dominic growing into OMG HERO.

I think Mookie is too fond of his OMG EPIC plots and making things huge and dire and ZOMG ACTION, when that honestly doesn't seem to be his strength. His strength is (generally) in just writing these characters doing normal stuff, letting "normal" be defined by the world they live in. That's fun. What he's doing now is just... can it never have happened? Please?
Gemini Sun
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2004 3:55 pm
Location: Arizona

Postby Wesley Fox on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:08 pm

TdotOdot2k wrote:They have SUPERMAN in the Dominic Deegan world?!? So that means they read about a modern planet Earth? A Metropolis environment, with airplanes, trains, and automobiles? They read about Clark Kent and Lois Lane....this is just too much.


Perhaps, but if it does have all that stuff, it'd be high fantasy to them. :shifty:
Not really here anymore. Go read Homestuck/Problem Sleuth to counter-act the suck.
User avatar
Wesley Fox
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2565
Joined: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:51 am
Location: Indiana

Postby H Hog on Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:10 pm

Ouch, not a smooth move, this comic.
Apart from the blatant anachronism, you could have at least gotten away with it if it wasn't that much of a direct reference.
For instance, a better line would have been something like "..dressing yourself up like some kind of super he--...".

I dunno, maybe you'll edit this, maybe you won't, maybe it'll turn out that she wanted to say something else then we thought she would, maybe you'll throw a curveball at us, such as Snowsong actually being a girl who has seen visions of humanity's decline being sent from the future by the use of a ruined civilization's final experiment (thank you, Arjen A. Lucassen...), who knows.

But you really should fix this somehow.
Image
Warning: May not even be human.
User avatar
H Hog
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 2:25 am
Location: Amsterdam, the Netherlands

 
PreviousNext

Return to Dominic Deegan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest