In before the terrible

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

In before the terrible

Postby lamepudding on Thu May 23, 2013 9:22 am

i feel today should be dedicated to all that we most hate and love(d) about this comic.

or, rather, how we all got sucked into its whirlpool of bad that we can't seem to wade out of.

I'm not sure i quite understand how his characters (at least the primary ones: dominic, luna, siggy, gregory, bumper, stunt, Jacob, szark and Celesto) started out with promise, were endearing, and then- as if by magic- all turned out terrible and shallow, or dead.
I amend that statement.
all of them are dead- none of them have ANY PERSONALITY ANYMORE.
NONE.

I regret ever clicking the link that lead me too it

The rest of this is gonna be TL;DR, so i'm putting it in a spoiler tag.
SPOILERS:Dominic used to be sarcastic and almost, almost nihilistic- at the very least cynical. He used to be judgmental and jerky- he DISLIKED PEOPLE IN GENERAL. THATS what made his character likeable and believable- thats why it was endearing when he showed kindness to before-the-awesome Luna. Now he's just this- peace and love hero of epic purport ions. For every effort to make him tragic- I'm left asking myself why i should care.
I shouldn't.

I actually liked Luna. I liked her. When we first met her she was somewhat deformed, totally decimated emotionally and mentally, and was just plain pathetic. She seemed so terrible at life that i had to like her. ya know, back when she used to use her illusions to scare people off instead of BLOWING EVERYTHING UP LIKE THE NUKE THAT HIT JAPAN. Half of mookies characters were ruined by him INSERTING HIS SENSITIVITIES INTO THE WORLD AND/OR CHARACTERS

Siggy was a jerk
siggy was a jerk until his dying breath
and i love him for it
screw you mindless demon siggy, siggy died that day and died for good.

Gregory was always a "take him or leave him" character for me, i feel like he was mostly there to expand on Dominic's love for his family- and there is little else that is more endearing than the love between brothers. Gregory wasn't a terrible character though- he was just a regular young adult trying to live his like in spite of his disabilities. I don't even know what happened
i-
i-
i-
give up

Jacob is okay. of everyone who isn't dead- he's the least awful- probably because he doesn't SPEAK MUCH. Though I- i don't mind that he reconciled with his family- but I feel like he was too easily forgiven. Fortunatly it doesn't matter, he doesn't seem like he gives a flying-flip if anyone forgives him or not.
I disregard his almighty death powers, though.

Bumper and Stunt should have stayed bumbling comic releif- they were way better than the cat. I can't even remember that cats name
does it have a name
i don't even remember

Szark
His Gayness went from pitiable to vomit inducing. I'm not even sure exactly where his character went wrong- but its so wrong now. he is CLEARLY just there to show how sensitive mookie is towards minorities.

and
Celesto
you were/are the diamond in the rough. I love you, man. You pig-headed, stubborn, morally confused, weak minded, tortured, misguided man. There is so much to hate about you that you are just so loveable.
The only negetive thing i can bring myself to say is
YOU SHOULD HAVE KILLED DOMINIC
BUT I CAN'T BE TOO MAD AT YOU FOR IT BECAUSE I DON'T THINK YOU ACTUALLY WOULD KILL DOMINIC
because of your
wacky fascination with him

IN CONCLUSION
End stories before they turn bad
lamepudding
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: In before the terrible

Postby IrishFino on Thu May 23, 2013 9:31 am

The cat does have a name.

It's - uh - that is to say - uhm...

Shit, I forgot.
There is a baby on my booby.
IrishFino
Keenspot Despot

Postby PantherScott on Thu May 23, 2013 2:36 pm

The problem isn't that Mookie decided to put his opinions and thoughts into the characters. This is a natural process for many writers, since you're supposed to write what you know it's only natural that a writer will put himself into his characters. This can be done well or poorly.

No, the problem is that Mookie decided somewhere down the line that the world is a painful, sad, and trivial world and that he would launch the first volley at it! That means not letting anything bad stick. That means that no matter what happens, the characters he assumed we loved would pull through and they would change to reflect this. Ignoring that a nihlistic character can be an optimist. Just because you believe that existence is meaningless, life is pain, and there is no inherent justice to things does not mean you have to make it worse. That could have even made Dominic more interesting rather than what he became.

I remember he went off on a rant complaining about how one of his comic book characters died. He admitted that it was well written and made sense but he drew the line at one of the characters being killed. Keep in mind he is obsessed with comic books, especially the cop outs in the genre it seems to be that he allows some of the comics to influence his writing. In very bad ways. Comics can be great, or they can be bad fanfiction. Compare Demon in the Bottle (Iron Man) to Brand New Day (Spiderman). He is distinctly influenced more by Brand New Day type stories than Demon in the Bottle which is sad because this webcomic at one point was a very intriguing and fun read. Now it's just snark fuel.
PantherScott
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby IrishFino on Thu May 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Spark.

The goddamn cat is named Spark.
IrishFino
Keenspot Despot

Postby lamepudding on Thu May 23, 2013 4:22 pm

what? his name is what? Stupid?
alright, i guess thats relevant.

and
there is so much more wrong with everything thats gone on that a 10 page essay couldn't even encompass all the storymaking sins
lamepudding
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Faunis on Thu May 23, 2013 4:33 pm

He did kill the farting golem though

So...

Everything redeemed? y/n
Conscious attempt to be less of a dick in five... four... three... two...
Faunis
Keenspot Despot

Location: A buried makeshift the Middle East somewhere in a coffin

Postby lamepudding on Thu May 23, 2013 4:38 pm

not even close
lamepudding
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby IrishFino on Thu May 23, 2013 4:44 pm

Faunis wrote:He did kill the farting golem though

So...

Everything redeemed? y/n

y

But only in response to the awesomeness of the Faunis beard.

That is all.
IrishFino
Keenspot Despot

Postby preseac on Thu May 23, 2013 9:03 pm

Originally, I loved this comic for its little puns and likable characters. I've stuck with it this long out of some misguided sense of duty to a comic that helped me during a rough patch in my life. I felt like sticking with it to the end even though I stopped really enjoying it a long time ago. I try to be optimistic about stories and find the silver lining, but even I stopped seeing it after a while. Here's my piece on it:

SPOILERS:Dominic used to be grumpy and was seen as just this crazy seer who lived alone with his cat. That was the Dominic I liked. His pessimistic attitude brought a lot of comedy and fun to the comic. He was destroyed when he became an optimist.

Luna was once my favorite character. She reminded me of myself in some ways and seeing her get through that level of depression early on and help Nimmel really made me feel like there was a good character with a realistic struggle. I'm glad she got better, but I don't like how it happened. There were little signs of her character getting worse over time, but the clincher for me was The March Across Maltak. Before this terrible arc came to be, that was my least favorite arc in the series. It was built up like it was going to be about her becoming the hero and growing confident. Instead it was a giant let down and, to me, it looked like she was cured of her depression by magic rain. Ever since then she's become insufferable and I couldn't stand her any more.

Siggy was a great character with tons of potential that got stolen from him. I think I don't have to expand on that.

Gregory was silly and fun when the comic started, but he somehow became more annoying as the comic progressed. I think it was his happy, bubbly nature countering Dominic's grouchy nature early on that made him likable. Once Dominic's grouchiness went away so did Gregory's silly hijacks like the couch forts. He became more 'metal' and less childish and goofy. That really ruined him.

Jacob was once one of my favorites because I love zombies and dark magic in fantasy stories. He used to be intimidating, creepy, and interesting due to his doing it all for science. Like Luna, for me Jacob was ruined in The March Across Maltak. His death was horribly done and then he came back as a different character from the one I liked.

Stunt and Bumper were side characters and the only thing they should have been allowed was the one story arc maybe. Bumper's death didn't have much meaning to me and Stunt's back story wasn't intriguing enough to make me care.

Szark used to be the cool sword guy with the tragic past and room for growth. His being gay didn't affect my view of him and I liked his character. Then he met Chance Masters and somehow became... I don't know, but I don't like it. It was like he lost something that made him special.

We never found out what became of Karnak. I'm a little annoyed by that. He was such a cool villain with a semi-interesting back story with some potential and then there was a magic mirror and a cliffhanger ending. So much potential once again flushed down the drain.

I'm still curious about Mosly.

All of the orc characters, even Melna (who I originally liked), were ruined at some point. I could rant on this, but I'm already getting long winded.

Celesto was a badass. He had terrible tragedy after terrible tragedy occur in his life and he fought what was likely the hardest emotional battle of any of the characters. I'm annoyed that no one mourned his death when he is THE reason they all got their happy endings. Heck... I'm annoyed by a lot of things that were done to his character.

All in all, I'm glad that I stuck through to the end. This story has taught me what NOT to do if I ever try to create a story of my own. The biggest mistake with this story IMO was the author not ending it when his passion for the story burnt out. He didn't map out a clear ending for it beforehand, so it kept dragging on after it should have ended.
preseac
Junior Keenspotter

Return to Dominic Deegan