Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby The Traveler on Thu May 16, 2013 8:07 pm

Image

Just look at them.
The Traveler
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 922
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2002 4:00 pm

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby PantherScott on Thu May 16, 2013 9:27 pm

I know I'll never be able to rebound from this crap. It will cause nightmares every time I go to sleep too. Tis the curse of the Deegans.
User avatar
PantherScott
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby Sin_City_Assassin on Fri May 17, 2013 1:13 am

I'll celebrate the time I spent with this comic down the end of a bottle.
Image
User avatar
Sin_City_Assassin
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2005 5:29 pm
Location: I'm everywhere. EVERYWHERE.

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby daveshan on Fri May 17, 2013 2:13 am

We will tell St. Peter to let us into Heaven, because DD has already "saved" us from Hell.
User avatar
daveshan
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:11 am

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby PantherScott on Fri May 17, 2013 8:00 am

And no one can ever take that away from us.
User avatar
PantherScott
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby yuskeyurameshi on Fri May 17, 2013 1:57 pm

Next week is going to be sappy. You've been warned. It's the final week of the comic and I feel like going out on a sweet note. This year of comics has been full of battle, hardship, violence and loss. It's about time there was some romance, silliness, and hope.


He apparently isn't aware that at no point in this story has the audience felt dread for what was going to happen.

And it's going to end sappily....oh god...he's trying to kill us with our own vomit!
yuskeyurameshi
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 10:08 am

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby IrishFino on Fri May 17, 2013 2:06 pm

It's going to be sappy because he can't let go.

Seriously, we all knew no one significant was going to die. There was no tension. There was no dread. There was nothing.

Okay, there was probably rage. But, that just... happens.
There is a baby on my booby.
User avatar
IrishFino
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby MOG on Fri May 17, 2013 6:30 pm

Celesto died.

Bumper died.

Quilt died.

Some of the better characters died.

And we are left with the damn Deegans. Not one of them died.

This is the same problem I had with Gamaran. The author loves his pet character so much that even with his guts themselves attacking him, through a gaping hole in his stomach, ripping them out, after being impaled with something roughly the length of his torso, he won't die.

When Guts from Berserk does this, its awesome. When the Terminator does this, its cool. When Dominc Deegan does this, it is not. He has not shown the strength, and he does not have the endurance, He has not earned the right.


I'm still holding out for the vague hope that the last comic, or panel will be similar to this.

http://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1375

He's done it before, and he should be able to do it again.
MOG
Keenspotter Supreme
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:10 am

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby Pondera on Sat May 18, 2013 1:33 am

Sin_City_Assassin wrote:I'll celebrate the time I spent with this comic down the end of a bottle.


Oh come now. Surely it can't be that bad.
IrishFino wrote:It's going to be sappy because he can't let go.

Seriously, we all knew no one significant was going to die. There was no tension. There was no dread. There was nothing.

Okay, there was probably rage. But, that just... happens.


I disagree. I thought for sure that Dominic was going to die in the Elemecca, and honestly, I'm pretty glad that he didn't. After all the crap he's gone through, Dominic deserves a nice quiet retirement.

This comic practically got me through high school, gave me some great ideas to use in roleplays and writings of my own, and has been the favorite of everyone I've shown it to. For it to end in such a happy, sappy-sweet way, I'm kind of okay with that. I think it's a good ending.
Pondera
Junior Keenspotter
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat May 18, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby daveshan on Sat May 18, 2013 2:36 am

Pondera wrote:
Sin_City_Assassin wrote:I'll celebrate the time I spent with this comic down the end of a bottle.


Oh come now. Surely it can't be that bad.
IrishFino wrote:It's going to be sappy because he can't let go.

Seriously, we all knew no one significant was going to die. There was no tension. There was no dread. There was nothing.

Okay, there was probably rage. But, that just... happens.


I disagree. I thought for sure that Dominic was going to die in the Elemecca, and honestly, I'm pretty glad that he didn't. After all the crap he's gone through, Dominic deserves a nice quiet retirement.

This comic practically got me through high school, gave me some great ideas to use in roleplays and writings of my own, and has been the favorite of everyone I've shown it to. For it to end in such a happy, sappy-sweet way, I'm kind of okay with that. I think it's a good ending.


'Great ideas'? What were you comparing it to, Twilight fanfics? Because I'm pretty sure even those would have better writing.
User avatar
daveshan
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 1283
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:11 am

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby PantherScott on Sat May 18, 2013 7:05 am

Let's be fair Daveshan, DD started out pretty decent. And if it helped out Pandera, that's all right too. I admit, I even liked the line Dance Puppets Dance line as I had uttered the line many times before myself. Of course it's utter crap now and I don't see how anyone can drag tension from it.

We discuss whether or not killing a character is needed in the story. Well, let's look at Wreck-It Ralph where the only character that dies is the villain. It's still a great viewing. Whereas unlike here it's well written, it's funny, it doesn't insult its viewers. It also has moments where the near death experience of two characters is incredibly funny and in fact leads up to a Crowning Moment of Funny. If you haven't seen it, I won't spoil it. If you have, you know what I'm talking about. Let's just say it was a brilliant piece of product placement all the way through the scene.

Ok, aside from that, what makes the fact that none of the good guys in Wreck-It Ralph better than this crap? First off, it's shorter. It's close to 2 hours while this has spanned years. They didn't have time for the character development to truly come to an end. Ralph finally accepts who he is, Vanellope is now in a better position than she was in before, and Fix-It, well he's happy and understands that not everything was as happy as he thought it was. There's still room for character exploration.

Dominic Deegan has run out of character development a long long time ago and sometimes a dramatic death of one of the protagonists is in fact called for. Luna/Siggy is an example of how this was bungled up. Luna was at the end of her possible character development, she was finished and a poetic death could have only served the story. It could have actually been used to cement Dominic into something more than a grouchy seer, and I'm sorry love does not conquer all. If someone is a misanthrope, they do not get better from the love of a good woman. That's cliche romantic bullshit. Siggy had plenty of room for interesting writing and was in fact the most interesting character. I remember he was the first recepient on the comic to have his own fan page. He was flawed but interesting and was an intriguing character. What does Mookie do? He retcons Sigfried into a racist monster that despises and victimizes his perfect race. In lieu of drama and a good story he does a character assassination of one of the characters.

It's at that point you know there's no chance in hell of the A cast from risking anything. That destroys drama as you know he'll do anything to avoid harm to his characters. And while you may not need to kill a main character from drama and a good story as I pointed out over Wreck-It Ralph you need to make it seem like they're in viable danger. Whether it's the Cy-Bugs genuinely eating everything or the Beast trying to rule by fear. The difference? We were shown the Cy-Bugs weakness so that when they're defeated it's not hackneyed and silly and the Beast we got told there was no reason to fear him. Again, crushed drama at the hands of a Deegan.

And that's why we will all try to drink the pain away.
User avatar
PantherScott
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:12 am

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby IrishFino on Sat May 18, 2013 7:09 am

Pondera wrote:
Sin_City_Assassin wrote:I'll celebrate the time I spent with this comic down the end of a bottle.


Oh come now. Surely it can't be that bad.
IrishFino wrote:It's going to be sappy because he can't let go.

Seriously, we all knew no one significant was going to die. There was no tension. There was no dread. There was nothing.

Okay, there was probably rage. But, that just... happens.


I disagree. I thought for sure that Dominic was going to die in the Elemecca, and honestly, I'm pretty glad that he didn't. After all the crap he's gone through, Dominic deserves a nice quiet retirement.

This comic practically got me through high school, gave me some great ideas to use in roleplays and writings of my own, and has been the favorite of everyone I've shown it to. For it to end in such a happy, sappy-sweet way, I'm kind of okay with that. I think it's a good ending.



If you honestly thought Dominic was going to die then you haven't been paying attention to anything that happens in this comic. Ever.

The sappy, everyone-lives-happily-ever-after-except-those-one-guys-who-died-but-really-who-cares-about-them ending is a cop-out. You go ahead and enjoy it. I won't be. I could throw a stone into the frequent posters in this forum and hit someone else who won't like it either. In the face. With a rock.

Peace out, new poster.
There is a baby on my booby.
User avatar
IrishFino
Keenspot Despot
 
Posts: 2400
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:28 pm

Re: Luna's Crazy Wedding Eyes. (5/17/2013)

Postby PantherScott on Sat May 18, 2013 1:45 pm

Pondera, welcome to the hate club of Dominic Deegan. We don't celebrate this comic. We don't even like it. We hate the comic and we often disagree with Mookie which has to be the dumbest name by far. Mookie.... Sounds like something I do on the toilet every morning. We criticize the comic, mention stuff that could drastically improve it whether it be the art or the writing.

Why do we do this even though we can't stand it? For one thing, we like the camraderie. We enjoy having people around that share our views. And for a second thing, most of us actually liked the comic at one point and hate the idea of just letting it go when we spent so much time reading it. And a third thing, Mookie has been known to send friends and family into our midst and get angry at us so there's a level of fun telling them what we think. So, enjoy the comic, if you can do. Someone needs to. But keep in mind we're cynical and have poisonous tongues when it comes to Dominic Deegan.
User avatar
PantherScott
Grand Poobah Keenspotter
 
Posts: 666
Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:12 am

 

Return to Dominic Deegan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests