No tears for Celesto... (5/16/2013)

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

No tears for Celesto... (5/16/2013)

Postby The Traveler on Wed May 15, 2013 7:14 pm

...but here's some bits of Dom being emo about the loss of his second sight.
The Traveler
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: No tears for Celesto... (5/16/2013)

Postby yadumey on Wed May 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Oh no...when Greg lost his magic...he started Facebath...
yadumey
Keenspot Despot

Postby daveshan on Wed May 15, 2013 7:54 pm

yadumey wrote:Oh no...when Greg lost his magic...he started Facebath...

Oh crap, tomorrow, it's going to show Dominic starting Mookie's next comic.
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Postby TheBlackPaladin on Wed May 15, 2013 8:27 pm

Actually. Greg's talent besides White Magic was music. Dominic was, as we found out during the Oracle Hunter Arc, an Actor. Dominic will soon become the worlds most famous and beloved actor ever. And if Jacob lost his Necromancy, he'd likely become Edgar Allan Poe.
Brett:Yeah? How about I break your face instead?!
Rachel:I invite you to try, Taggerty.
KRAK
Brett:AAAAAGGH!
Rachel:I break things with my face.

He's an uncontrollable arachnophobic cyborg on the edge. She's a provocative impetuous detective in the wrong place at the wrong time. They fight crime!

Which FF Character Are You?
TheBlackPaladin
Keenspot Despot

Postby yadumey on Wed May 15, 2013 8:30 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Actually. Greg's talent besides White Magic was music. Dominic was, as we found out during the Oracle Hunter Arc, an Actor. Dominic will soon become the worlds most famous and beloved actor ever. And if Jacob lost his Necromancy, he'd likely become Edgar Allan Poe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8cZUhiP3us
yadumey
Keenspot Despot

Postby IrishFino on Wed May 15, 2013 9:04 pm

I KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GOING THROUGH BRO.

EXCEPT I DON'T.

Well, maybe just the loss of magic part. The rest I know shit about. Would be a cool song though.

...Hey, Dominic?
There is a baby on my booby.
IrishFino
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sonoran_Simpleton on Wed May 15, 2013 10:22 pm

Its like no one in the family realizes its up to greg to continue the deegan family bloodline.
Shari wrote:you're Mexican,etc...
Sonoran_Simpleton
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lumino on Thu May 16, 2013 3:36 am

Ya know, in his defense, think back in the comic to a time where Dominic was doing something not based on either his magic, his Second Sight, or his visions.

His research, his teaching, everything he has ever done has been connected to that. To lose that all can be...jarring. I actually think Mookie is displaying his own version to PTSD remarkably well.

Of course, something will happen to fix everything and completely undermine it, but for now it isn't bad.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby bahamutkod on Thu May 16, 2013 4:00 am

Lumino wrote:Ya know, in his defense, think back in the comic to a time where Dominic was doing something not based on either his magic, his Second Sight, or his visions.

His research, his teaching, everything he has ever done has been connected to that. To lose that all can be...jarring. I actually think Mookie is displaying his own version to PTSD remarkably well.

Of course, something will happen to fix everything and completely undermine it, but for now it isn't bad.

Personally, I think he's underplaying it. He's all whiny emo but he's not really having a breakdown like someone should if they lose what is an essential part of themselves. This is more like someone who's complaining that they had their car taken away and so they can't get anywhere.

Contrast that to the time he couldn't get his favorite candy.
bahamutkod
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lumino on Thu May 16, 2013 9:03 am

Speaking as a veteran myself, PTSD is very rarely the 'Bat Shit Insane' style. What Mookie is showing is the far more common version of it. Massive depression, lack of drive, inability to sleep, suicidal thought, isolationism.

As an illness, it tends to be remarkably 'quiet' in most cases.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby daveshan on Thu May 16, 2013 11:15 am

I know that's Luna in panel 5, but does anyone else think it looks like Gregory?
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Postby yadumey on Thu May 16, 2013 3:31 pm

daveshan wrote:I know that's Luna in panel 5, but does anyone else think it looks like Gregory?

I thought that was pillow/blanket.
yadumey
Keenspot Despot

Postby PantherScott on Thu May 16, 2013 3:39 pm

I'm going to take a different tact on this strip. I would say the reaction depends on the person. I know if I was to grow up with all this power that made me all knowing and then took it away I would react with despair and rage bouts with destruction of everything around me and then mourning for what I lost. But I tend to be a passionate person.

Dominic hasn't really had too many challenges to his life so with one big one that looks like it could stick, he's going the Captain Hammer direction where he becomes pitiable and pathetic. I just wish he'd say something like "Is this how normal people feel?"

So overall I like this strip. It's not perfect and it's certainly not redeeming this web comic through all it's failings, but it's acceptable.

Edit: My problem here is the comment about the beast's theft being absolute. When you make a villain officially completely laughable you cannot suddenly make him a threat unless that was part of his plan from the very beginning. This case, the Beast was beaten and Dominic said he couldn't believe he was ever afraid of him. Then it got repeated. Then suddenly you try to make him seem rough trade with the theft being absolute? I know Mookie painted himself in a corner and whenever he does that he just ignores it, but that's ridiculous.
PantherScott
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ashitaka1110 on Thu May 16, 2013 7:42 pm

Wait, didn't his SS and magic disappear after he looked into the Heart of Magic/Giant Door thing? What's this about it being the beast's fault?
Ashitaka1110
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby PantherScott on Thu May 16, 2013 9:24 pm

Inconsistent writing. It happens when the writer just pretty much doesn't care anymore. The series is coming to an end hopefully. He hopes people are too busy looking forward to the new project to notice a little something like changing the story within 3 strips.

I just noticed something, the only challenge Dominic has faced that has stuck or in this case he had to actually go and solve with trouble was the fish curse at the beginning. Everything else kinda just fixed itself or he just ignored. A damn comedy curse to poke fun at his smoking habit was more credible than infertility and brittle bones!
PantherScott
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Return to Dominic Deegan