Drag it out, drag it out... (5/1/2013)

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

Drag it out, drag it out... (5/1/2013)

Postby The Traveler on Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:54 pm

Yes, clearly we need more of the protagonist explaining what's happening, rather than just getting on with it.
The Traveler
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Drag it out, drag it out... (5/1/2013)

Postby TheBlackPaladin on Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:58 pm

TAKING BETS! Taking bets that we will see Mookie's damn face behind that door.
Brett:Yeah? How about I break your face instead?!
Rachel:I invite you to try, Taggerty.
KRAK
Brett:AAAAAGGH!
Rachel:I break things with my face.

He's an uncontrollable arachnophobic cyborg on the edge. She's a provocative impetuous detective in the wrong place at the wrong time. They fight crime!

Which FF Character Are You?
TheBlackPaladin
Keenspot Despot

Postby Katharos Ombre on Wed May 01, 2013 12:12 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:TAKING BETS! Taking bets that we will see Mookie's damn face behind that door.

It would make my day if Mookie just put a real picture of himself in there.

My first theory is what you said. My second theory is... Dominic's soul will enter the door and be transported to our world and be reborn as... MOOKIE.

Also... how is Mookie handling shading better than I do? Considering he prefers drawing entirely in ink, I think the whole comic would have been more bearable to read if he drew everything in Noir style with only hard light and pure shadow. Oh well, it'll be over soon. Kudos on the last rows of panels, they looked pretty nice.
I don't understand. 0_0
Katharos Ombre
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby daveshan on Wed May 01, 2013 7:40 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:TAKING BETS! Taking bets that we will see Mookie's damn face behind that door.

My theory is that it will be a giant Dominic Deegan, but it'll have the "Taken a form that you can understand" tagline slapped on to it.
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Postby PantherScott on Wed May 01, 2013 7:42 am

Ok, for any would be writers, don't drag it out like this. The "death" (Who are we kidding? Dom isn't going to stay dead!) the death of any major protagonist requires a certain treatment. It should be awesome, it should be spectacular, and it should be dramatic. Having your character's last words be insulting the guy that killed him for not being scary ruins the drama. Furthermore, having someone else comment the monster isn't scary ruins more drama. Why is your hero the hero if he get's killed by something harmless and not scary after all?

Dragging it out like Mookie has done also strips it of gravity it might have. In fact, right now when I read the strip, I'm humming What's This from Nightmare before Christmas. Maybe one or two strips of a head towards the light sure, but make it clear that they're going to the afterlife, not the fricking Kingdom Hearts door to become unto a god ok? Drama good, drawn out Mookie Mouse scenes bad!
PantherScott
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lumino on Wed May 01, 2013 8:10 am

The issue isn't from this particular scene though, it's a long standing problem.

The reason this doesn't induce drama is because Mookie doesn't get a very basic rule of creation. Your readers are not idiots. If you use the same literary device over and over (in his case, the threat of death) then eventually nobody is going to buy it anymore.

Taunting with death is all well and good, but if you do it ALL THE TIME (as he does) and nobody important ever dies, then your audience will (rightfully) lose all sense of suspense when someone is in mortal danger.

The people who shout for Mookie to kill off characters aren't 'right' per say. I do agree with what he said, that a story isn't made good by it's body count. But if you want to taunt your audience with death, then you have to be willing to follow through. And not with Second String characters.

If you aren't willing to kill your characters, then you need to find some other way to induce drama. Something the audience preferably hasn't seen five hundred times.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby SLTE on Wed May 01, 2013 4:59 pm

This seems like it should be a Dark Tower moment. He goes through, finally learning the truth of all existence... and is shunted back to the first strip in the comic, doomed to live it all over again.
SLTE
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TheBlackPaladin on Wed May 01, 2013 7:00 pm

...I just thought of something else. The Heart of Magic is the Face of God. Meaning that door likely leads to heaven as well, meaning we will be seeing every good person who ever died. Klo-Tark, Rillian, Luana, Acibek and the old Sylvian Oracle, Bumper. Won't be seeing Siggy though since he went to hell and ate his fathers face.
Brett:Yeah? How about I break your face instead?!
Rachel:I invite you to try, Taggerty.
KRAK
Brett:AAAAAGGH!
Rachel:I break things with my face.

He's an uncontrollable arachnophobic cyborg on the edge. She's a provocative impetuous detective in the wrong place at the wrong time. They fight crime!

Which FF Character Are You?
TheBlackPaladin
Keenspot Despot

Postby daveshan on Wed May 01, 2013 7:25 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:...I just thought of something else. The Heart of Magic is the Face of God. Meaning that door likely leads to heaven as well, meaning we will be seeing every good person who ever died. Klo-Tark, Rillian, Luana, Acibek and the old Sylvian Oracle, Bumper. Won't be seeing Siggy though since he was a character we liked but who was being mean to Dominic so Mookie had it so that he went to hell and ate his fathers face.

Fix'd.
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Return to Dominic Deegan