Dragon Ball Whee (12/10/2012)

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

Dragon Ball Whee (12/10/2012)

Postby The Traveler on Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:42 am

http://dominic-deegan.com/comics/20121210.gif

...well, I guess we were silly for thinking that the vision of "Dragon Luna" was just on the psycho-planes and not a physical thing. No, she actually turns half-dragon and turns this into a ridiculous anime beam-fight.
The Traveler
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Dragon Ball Whee (12/10/2012)

Postby SamTheUnPokeable on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:16 am

I'm out. I'm fucking... I'm out. I'm done. I'm just... this is it. I'm done. I'm out.

*Sound of someone slamming a door, getting in their car, then peeling out.*
Xejan wrote: I said if I WAS the sniper in bush's security, I would have shot him.

The always level headed Xejan wanting to kill the President of the United States.
SamTheUnPokeable
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bahamutkod on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:41 am

Okay... this is at once hysterical and sad. Luna just turned all super form and instead of casting amazing spells like Doctor Strange... she's charging headlong at the threat like... well... a jock. I'm saying this because the obvious parallel to DBZ has already been made and frankly, Mookie lauds the idea of clever, less-physical characters being the heroes and when since the whole "illusion" gag have these jerks done ANYTHING but just plainly overpower the foes on one level or another?

I think what REALLY gets me is this dialogue. The dialogue and general narrative doesn't come off like something for adults or even teens. Does everyone remember the old DC children's book in which Lex Luthor steals 40 cakes and Wonder Woman gets her shoes stolen by a whale? Yeah, this is maybe a few years ahead of that.

Didn't Mookie get a creative writing degree? Why, then, does this come off as something a bored teen would half-ass during a break period in school? This is the kind of narrative you expect to see in those starter comic books for 7-10 year old readers. Now, that wouldn't be a problem if that was Mookie's target audience for this comic. The sequel to Dragonheart dumbed down the same concept for younger kids without all the themes that a kid shouldn't have been exposed to. However, Mookie's comic contains...

Attempts at hypersexualization--particularly focused on huge boobs.

Attempted suicide because a character is perceived as "different."

A callous beheading of a criminal.

Torture and mutilation--focused in part on a character literally wielding powers from hell.

Making light of non-consensual--and clearly sexual--encounters (Dominic tied to a bed by Rachel).

Cripple-beating.

More torture and mutilation with as much gory detail as Mookie's limited style is capable of portraying.

Homosexual-shaming on the part of sports players.

Racial genocide and a ham-fisted portrayal of racism in general.

An entire side-plot devoted not only to the rape of a young girl, but to her heroic and "sexy" (Mookie's own words at what he was attempting) rapist... visited not just once but at least twice.

Side-plots that involve the brutal murder (and often torture) of poachers by characters who are meant to be on the side of the "good guys" (imagine if they did this on Captain Planet).

Confusing plot elements like what was supposed to be a self-made king who is clever and successful despite a clear disability... only to turn on the heel and portray him as this sneering villain who plays the system and is consistently outclassed by the "heroes."

---

I could go on, but honestly I probably should have stopped well before the whole "rape storyline" bit...

...and Mookie should have too.
bahamutkod
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby daveshan on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:51 am

Seeing the dragon-zombie and now Luna attacking it:

daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Postby yuskeyurameshi on Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:40 am

I've been seeing dragon ball tendancies ever since Jacob (in a people suit), held up Dominic with one hand and head down bored. That was a dragon ball pose if I've ever seen one and this series was destined to devolve since that moment, but I never would have forseen how. And I am sorry to see it has.
yuskeyurameshi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby IrishFino on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:33 am

Bitch naw.
There is a baby on my booby.
IrishFino
Keenspot Despot

Postby SLTE on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:30 pm

This is the part where the dragon spits out an egg containing its demonic offspring, which comes back in several years to compete against Luna in the Tenkaichi Budokai.

I mean, what?
SLTE
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby daveshan on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:05 pm

SLTE wrote:This is the part where the dragon spits out an egg containing its demonic offspring, which comes back in several years to compete against Luna in the Tenkaichi Budokai.

I mean, what?

Wrong! Wrong, wrong, wrong! This is the part where Luna shows off to the dragon that she's more powerful and punishes it for being a scourge on the Earth and absorbing the androids. However, her ego will get the best of her and the dragon will begin to self-destruct with no way of stopping it. However, Dominic will use himself to teleport the creature away and face the explosion alone.

EXCEPT DOMINIC WILL LIVE BECAUSE HE HAS THE WILL OF HIS FRIENDS TO KEEP HIM GOING!
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Return to Dominic Deegan