11/13/12 Fut the whack?

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

11/13/12 Fut the whack?

Postby daveshan on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:37 pm

I...

I...

What?
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Re: 11/13/12 Fut the whack?

Postby Lumino on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:10 pm

Look to the stars Bow-er...Luna.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby yadumey on Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm

I've seen this one before. Luna survives her mortal injury, turns into an insufferable princess, and the dragon has to be slain by the last of the Knights in order to end her terrible reign.
yadumey
Keenspot Despot

Postby spacemansays on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:12 pm

yadumey wrote:I've seen this one before. Luna survives her mortal injury, turns into an insufferable princess, and the dragon has to be slain by the last of the Knights in order to end her terrible reign.

I don't care what Mookie writes from now on. In my heart, this is how Dominic Deegan ends.
spacemansays
Junior Keenspotter

Postby yadumey on Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:16 pm

spacemansays wrote:
yadumey wrote:I've seen this one before. Luna survives her mortal injury, turns into an insufferable princess, and the dragon has to be slain by the last of the Knights in order to end her terrible reign.

I don't care what Mookie writes from now on. In my heart, this is how Dominic Deegan ends.

DD ends as a complete rip off of Dragonheart?...

Yeah, that would be better than whatever Michael will no doubt write instead.
yadumey
Keenspot Despot

Postby yuskeyurameshi on Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:22 am

*Reading the comic gets filled with rage* You're going to rip off Dragon Heart! And I bet you'll say in your comments what's Dragon Heart or I didn't realize I did that like you did with Rorshach that one time!

*Calming down slightly* You know, the last time that she got power from this dragon it almost killed her...and the dragon had his heart and look what good that did.
yuskeyurameshi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lumino on Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:45 am

As silly as it seems, the man has a good point.

I know it may seem cliche, but I'd be willing to bet that any fantasy fan is still affected by the very idea of a dragon; whether it's empowered by them, allied with them, slaying them, descended from them, or riding one into battle. Dragons are the backbone of the fantasy genre, in my opinion.

I cannot argue that point.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby daveshan on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:06 am

Lumino wrote:As silly as it seems, the man has a good point.

I know it may seem cliche, but I'd be willing to bet that any fantasy fan is still affected by the very idea of a dragon; whether it's empowered by them, allied with them, slaying them, descended from them, or riding one into battle. Dragons are the backbone of the fantasy genre, in my opinion.

Do you think, for one second, that the fact that he's specifically using a dragon is the problem we're having with today's strip?
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Postby ZaneS on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:07 am

Lumino wrote:As silly as it seems, the man has a good point.

Up till this past two weeks I've had very few problems with his writing, and i'll admit the hate on this thread is infectious but there are PLENTY of ways to argue with that point.

Simply put, dragons are a major fantasy element, but most of the time they are treated better. As said in the last thread this dragon is just big, we've never seen him in combat and we are supposed to believe he is mighty when mookie has done a "not all large things are mighty" here: http://www.dominic-deegan.com/comics/20100825.gif

Anyone who is a huge fantasy fan also knows that most forms of dragons can in fact be displayed with different attributes, and I'll use Dragon heart as Our lead dragon, though capable of combat (which we are shown by the three days and night fight) is also a bit of a philosopher and looks at the story's conflict not just at one level but at a few. This dragon is much more believable since we see all these elements in the dragon, it isn't spoon fed to us.

I'm under the impression that Mookie wrote this having us consider it's size , and it knowing the Old Words as proof that the dragon is powerful. Knowledgeable I'll give it, but not pure power, which is what the "Beast" has been building up to be since day one.

And now to get to my really complaint. A FUCKING DRAGON'S HEART! YOU RIP OFF BASTARD! REALLY REALLY REALLY!?!?!

My rage aside, this just feels in very poor taste. Even just saying "dragon's soul" would have been better. A heart automatically would draw lines to dragon's heart which does what again? Oh thats right, in creases the bearer's powers and lets them live so long as the dragon is killed. Bit different here, but yea, as said above it feels like dragon heart.

Also I feel horrible for saying this, but what is with so many stories feeling the need to gain some ultimate powers to face the final evil. This is supposed to show the beast is beyond the abilities of humans, I get that, but really every arc with a real threat that couldn't be beaten by compassion required these power ups and I personally miss when they, oh I don't know, had to use their brains in constructive ways to create magic spells themselves.

In the Soul of Storm arc, Luna's power up was a staff, it was her use of the weapon and her own knowledge of magic that fended off Helixa for most of that battle. Dominic getting power ups was fitting in that story, and built up that it would happen from the start. Dominic also lost those at the end, as the energies had their own job to do.

War in hell, We saw the use of the straw dolls. A simple item that was used as a focus, and also granted protective properties. The idea was inspired by StoneWater, but there wasn't any "super power up!" It was use of intelligence and creativity that kept everyone alive.... ish.

I'll skip ahead and only list two more, but as you can see I have a point to make. In the Oracle Hunter we get to see the return of Dominic's intelligence in magic crafting, something that was key in soul of storms, and used to give Dominic the energy boost he needed. This is used once more but fueled with black magic in return. In both cases, this power up is simply the same as siphoning the energy from a willing living host. This is a very common and acceptable fantasy power up.

Now let's look at March of Maltak. I like Luna, I think her story of growth is heartwarming... What did she do directly? That always bothered me. What did she do directly besides get the Nataka(sp) clan to march? Yes that is important, but Luna was one who in my opinion, inspired others to act, her actions themselves didn't solve the conflict but brought the chess pieces to where they needed to be to get the checkmate. Lune was supposed to get this as her crowning arc of awesome, but really I couldn't disagree more. Luna sadly felt like her best moment in that arc was coming in and shouting the old words at the chief, that was about it. After that point, her role was again to inspire. Why do I bring all this up?

http://www.dominic-deegan.com/comics/20100128.gif

"We saved" No you didn't. You were compelled to go, but ending up being used by the gods of Maltak to make the orcs do their own good. Yes you "returned" the curse, somehow, that part never made sense. But did you DIRECTLY make the two orcs that had the Nakala and Takla(I think I don't know the spellings of the death and life forces)work together, thus showing Spirit father to be incorrect? Did you MELT HIS ARM? I was always bothered how we are supposed to feel at times that Dominic puppet master plans (Battle for Bathris and SnowSong) are somehow 'mean spirited' when Luna plays the same damn role in this arc and she is a hero.

So finally FINALLY to the end of my point. Luna's proof of grand power was her being a GIANT tool. and we had lost what would have been an amazing battle of the dragon fighting a giant construct outside the Magi Sanctum. Gee, I'm so glad we needed Luna to be powered up over that. Ya know, something powerful enough to be the perfect distraction, and it wouldn't be a complete risk to their life.

Also anyone else just feel uninterested that this dragon is dying?
ZaneS
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby IrishFino on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:27 am

I cared enough to comment to say that I don't care.
There is a baby on my booby.
IrishFino
Keenspot Despot

Postby LordGolbez on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:45 pm

Guys, get real. Like Dragonheart was so original? Who ever thought of pairing up those words before that movie? Right. I'll give Dragonheart claim to a more limited set of plot points, but not the mere idea of a dragon heart having some significance. If the heart were being used to heal Luna, I'd call it a ripoff. This is just to draw a parallel with the Heart of Magic. I'm sure Mookie thought of Dragonheart when he did this (how could he not?), but that alone doesn't make it a ripoff. That doesn't exactly nullify the other problems, however.
LordGolbez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Traveler on Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:52 pm

It's still a BS Dragonball Z style powerup for a character that really shouldn't need one.

Just like discovering that Miranda was subconsciously holding back due to the king's enchantment was.
The Traveler
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby LordGolbez on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Well, I figure Mookie wants to go the rounds giving characters power boosts. Maybe Szark will get some some uber sword. Dex will become so resistant he creates a sphere of magic nullification. Milov will power up with moon rocks or something, Greg will even come up with a new way to be even more annoying than either Facebath or Super Greg.
LordGolbez
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lumino on Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:41 pm

LordGolbez wrote:Milov will power up with moon rocks or something

First thing I thought of.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Dominic Deegan