2012-11-09 Mundane Man in a Magic World

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

2012-11-09 Mundane Man in a Magic World

Postby Lumino on Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:29 pm

Gotta say, I like this. He always tried to portray Donovan as a hopelessly optimistic and cheerful character, no matter what was happening. He was even able to laugh while he was slowly dying by poison. To see him truly wracked by real adult fear, it's a different side to the character that we rarely see.

Also, the Maestro. Back again, to continue being awesome.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: 2012-11-09 Mundane Man in a Magic World

Postby yadumey on Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:29 pm

Lumino wrote:Also, the Maestro. Back again, to continue being awesome.

He looks younger. Like, he's a kid now, not any age of adult.
yadumey
Keenspot Despot

Postby daveshan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 3:47 am

At least Mookie's newspost isn't screaming about how awesome he is for doing gender-role reversal in those first few panels.
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Postby bahamutkod on Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:24 am

daveshan wrote:At least Mookie's newspost isn't screaming about how awesome he is for doing gender-role reversal in those first few panels.

Give it time.

Also, momgan had to pitch in that she's going to cry as well. I don't like the way Mookie handles crying, putting more and more of it forward at this point than any other. At least in previous strips there was an attempt to make it truly relevant. Look at Bumper's death... while he made a rather prominent show of how many people apparently loved him without any previous comics to really set it up save for him doing magic tricks in front of kids, no one shed a tear. Dominic walked into the belly of the beast for reasons that still seem to stand out as utterly foolish and narcissistic and everyone's a sad sack of tears.

It doesn't feel natural; it feels like Mookie's trying to hold our hand and say, "See? It's sad that Dominic is in this position" in as many ways as possible. First he gives up willingly, then he gets a big scare! What, don't feel bad for him yet? What if Rilian tells him that he's totally going to die? You say that effect was cheapened and altogether destroyed by Jayden and Stunt's little pilgrimage? Er... Okay, cut to everyone crying because poor Dominic! You want to fit in, don't you?

As I said, he used to have crying fit a situation or a development. Much as people dislike that Luna's weepy nature comes across as sexist--bolstered by other elements in the comic--at least it was a consistent character trait. Klo Tark, introduced as one of Dominic's mentors, dies and Dominic cries? Good. Dominic, battered in the aftermath of a horrible battle tells Siegfried's two best friends in the world that the knight died and they explode into tears? Fitting and timely.

This just feels off. Maybe it's the abrupt change in tone at the end, I dunno.
bahamutkod
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ZaneS on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:36 pm

bahamutkod wrote:
daveshan wrote:At least Mookie's newspost isn't screaming about how awesome he is for doing gender-role reversal in those first few panels.

Give it time.

Also, momgan had to pitch in that she's going to cry as well. I don't like the way Mookie handles crying, putting more and more of it forward at this point than any other. At least in previous strips there was an attempt to make it truly relevant. Look at Bumper's death... while he made a rather prominent show of how many people apparently loved him without any previous comics to really set it up save for him doing magic tricks in front of kids, no one shed a tear. Dominic walked into the belly of the beast for reasons that still seem to stand out as utterly foolish and narcissistic and everyone's a sad sack of tears.

It doesn't feel natural; it feels like Mookie's trying to hold our hand and say, "See? It's sad that Dominic is in this position" in as many ways as possible. First he gives up willingly, then he gets a big scare! What, don't feel bad for him yet? What if Rilian tells him that he's totally going to die? You say that effect was cheapened and altogether destroyed by Jayden and Stunt's little pilgrimage? Er... Okay, cut to everyone crying because poor Dominic! You want to fit in, don't you?

As I said, he used to have crying fit a situation or a development. Much as people dislike that Luna's weepy nature comes across as sexist--bolstered by other elements in the comic--at least it was a consistent character trait. Klo Tark, introduced as one of Dominic's mentors, dies and Dominic cries? Good. Dominic, battered in the aftermath of a horrible battle tells Siegfried's two best friends in the world that the knight died and they explode into tears? Fitting and timely.

This just feels off. Maybe it's the abrupt change in tone at the end, I dunno.

Does my own displeasure count? Really out of Stunt and Bumper, Bumper was the better character so his death was sadder to me because of it.
http://www.dominic-deegan.com/comics/20120525.gif
Also I'm not sure if Quilt can physically cry, but he looks like he is about to there. So Stunt and Quilt... just two.
EDIT: Everyone else just looks sad, this is someone they knew for years. Yes he is dead, and such, but really, Dominic has known Bumper as long as he has known Luna, so it always bothered me that he didn't shed any tears there.
ZaneS
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby daveshan on Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:37 pm

Heh... In-universe defense for Bumper's death, they are all in shock that a member of the Deegan Clan was actually able to die.
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Return to Dominic Deegan