10/18/12 - Mary Sue who?

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

10/18/12 - Mary Sue who?

Postby bahamutkod on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:06 pm

http://dominic-deegan.com/comics/20121018.gif

not only destroying every last detail that made his final baddie threatening and intriguing... but also cementing the fact that fate itself kisses Deegan ass and they are essentially treated as gods.

Why not something poigniant? Why not, "Perhaps humanity is not ready for this kind of power... please, prove me wrong." no... it's "Miranda, you are awesome and perfect and Deegan."
bahamutkod
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: 10/18/12 - Mary Sue who?

Postby daveshan on Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:36 pm

I'm sorry, when did Miranda turn into a crying baby sister? She's taken on infernomancers, super-charged necromancers, had a one-on-one with the ultimate human mage and held her own,... When? When has she ever been shown to absolutely need the other archmages for guidance? Yeah, when they wanted to mount an attack against the beast, but that's not guidance. That's rallying troops and SHE was doing the rallying.

As far as I'm concerned, the only good characters left are TIM, Celesto, David, and that little slime guy. I suspect Mookie will ruin them all by the time this story is done.
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lumino on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:23 pm

She is the most junior archmage. It can be a bit frightening to go from the bottom to the top with no guidance or aide available to you. Many of us in real life have had to deal with that in our professional lives.

Miranda's power, and therefore the stakes, are much higher then any of us ever had to deal with.

Sides, I don't think he's neutered the king yet. He is still a very major threat.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Reaver225 on Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:15 am

Don't forget, when it comes to archmage's influence, she's been under enchantment the whole time.
| Mental note: Refrain from using the Force while drunk. | Caption contest winner! | "Screw it. Rocks fall, everyone dies." |
I shall delete you, recreate thyself. - Mutamu
"All citizens to either go to the graveyard and dig up corpses or become corpses for not complying." - hazardswake
Maldraugedhen wrote:That would only be if stupidity was a Boolean thing, or if it was like always multiplying a pair of negative numbers (assuming positive is intelligent).
Stupidity has its own infinite continuum, from bordering on the brain dead to just shy of normal.
...I need to not delurk right after a long coding session.
Reaver225
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby yadumey on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:19 pm

Mary Sue-ism aside, wasn't David the one who introduced Miranda to the Archmages AFTER he chose to step down? As in, she wasn't even in the game until well after they allowed him to join? How was she always intended to be the first?
yadumey
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lumino on Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:37 pm

I'd assume archmages of phenomenally cosmic power keep their eye(s) open for potential threats and allies in the magical worlds. When someone gets strong, they start gathering a lot of attention.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby spacemansays on Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:16 pm

Oh god dammit Mookie. YOU WERE DOING SO WELL.

I dislike this twist, not just because it makes Miranda even more of a special snowflake, but because Mookie keeps undercutting David every time that the guy starts to feel really menacing. He's managed to take out all the Archmagi? Cool, but he's really in service to an eldritch horror made out of his own rotting eyeballs because he made one bad bargain. He's kicking Dominic's ass? Sure, but he's never going to be as good as Miranda, because SHE was the REAL Archmage all along and he was just a second-rate usurper.

Come on. Let the guy stand on his own accomplishments. Just because he's a villain doesn't mean he has to be all smoke and mirrors and trickery: let him be a legitimately potent mage in his own right.
spacemansays
Junior Keenspotter

Postby yadumey on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:33 pm

Lumino wrote:I'd assume archmages of phenomenally cosmic power keep their eye(s) open for potential threats and allies in the magical worlds. When someone gets strong, they start gathering a lot of attention.

I'll give you that, sure, but unless we get a timeline of events, I had assumed that he was the sole archmage candidate for some time, and Miranda had not even been brought into the picture until well into his reign, up and coming or not.
yadumey
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lumino on Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:15 pm

My take on it wasn't that they rejected David due to power but due to his motivations. He was too power hungry, and they could see it (until he enchanted them at least). He could very well still be stronger then Miranda, but power alone does not make one a worthy archmage.

They may have seen her as the better choice because she had power tempered with wisdom of how to use it and what is too far. She didn't seek power for power's sake.

Of course, this doesn't stop her from being a Sue, but it explains why the archmages might have prefered her over David had they their free will.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby daveshan on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:04 pm

spacemansays wrote:Oh god dammit Mookie. YOU WERE DOING SO WELL.

I dislike this twist, not just because it makes Miranda even more of a special snowflake, but because Mookie keeps undercutting David every time that the guy starts to feel really menacing. He's managed to take out all the Archmagi? Cool, but he's really in service to an eldritch horror made out of his own rotting eyeballs because he made one bad bargain. He's kicking Dominic's ass? Sure, but he's never going to be as good as Miranda, because SHE was the REAL Archmage all along and he was just a second-rate usurper.

Come on. Let the guy stand on his own accomplishments. Just because he's a villain doesn't mean he has to be all smoke and mirrors and trickery: let him be a legitimately potent mage in his own right.

There can still be a few saving graces, none of which I'll imagine Mookie doing.

1. The king could cast an illusion spell to make it look like Masutel is attacking everyone and then stop him. We've seen he's quite good at those.

2. He has the original necromancer guy under his power. He could resurrect the corpse in an almost perfect fashion (or at least enough that an illusion spell could patch up the mistakes) and then have it attack.

3. The Beast could possess Masutel's lifeless body and proceed to attack people.

Like I said, though, I don't see Mookie using any of these.
daveshan
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lumino on Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:35 pm

I really like the Rilian idea.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Dominic Deegan