10/17/12 Stop talking, Mookie

Oracle For Hire!

Moderators: NevrMore, DominicDeegan, Silvsilvchan, TdotOdot2k

Forum rules
Due to popular demand, the Dominic Deegan Forum will remain online indefinitely. Happy Holidays!

1. Keenspot is not responsible for the actions of any posters or moderators.
2. Once warned to stop a behavior, stop.
3. Posts in violation of rules will be edited by moderators and noted
4. Contact NevrMore if you have a problem with another poster, do not flame troll or spam them
http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=101683 and http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=73&t=99473 for the full list of rules.

10/17/12 Stop talking, Mookie

Postby spacemansays on Wed Oct 17, 2012 3:03 pm

For such a simple comic, I had a lot of trouble coming to terms with making this update as simple as it is.

Much of today's comic is blank, and I've done this before during Dominic's episodes of Seer's Shroud. I wanted to make today's comic wordier, but I felt the dialogue was cluttering up the empty space and taking away from the effect of making Miranda look small in the absence of Masutel's normally vast mental power. So, following the advice of my friend Garth I decided to make today's comic rather brief in dialogue to showcase Miranda and Masutel's diminished size, and to have one of those poignant moments that I adore so much. I hope you fine folks enjoy it, too.

Shush, Mookie, shush. Too many words, you're ruining the moment.

Been following this clusterf*ck of a comic and lurking these forums for years, finally registered in order to say that this is the first time a death (or imminent death) in Dominic Deegan has actually felt sad. It's not the same kind of emotional impact that, say, Gunnerkrigg or XKCD can draw on a good day, but... It's certainly better than we-keep-killing-Klo-Tark.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the times when Mookie's comics actually approach decent storytelling are the times when he shuts up and stops overexplaining things.
spacemansays
Junior Keenspotter

Re: 10/17/12 Stop talking, Mookie

Postby Sin_City_Assassin on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:14 pm

"Oh this scene is now stylistically simple today. LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY."
Sin_City_Assassin
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lumino on Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:25 pm

I dunno, I think Klo-Tark's first death was pretty sad. Though it did feel a bit like 'Tying up Plot loose ends'.
Lumino
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Arancaytar on Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:29 am

As fond as Mookie is of dialogue, there is a lot of irony in the fact that the best parts of the comic are those with the least speech bubbles.
Arancaytar
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Dominic Deegan