General Fanwork Thread

Ever have one of those days?

Moderator: JoeEngland

General Fanwork Thread

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:30 pm

Okay, this might be pushing it. But I figured it might come in handy.

Anyone with fan-work to post, throw it up here! If you want to make your own thread that's fine too. But the surplus of threads in the forum makes me think we should compile stuff.
Last edited by Skullduggerous on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: General Fanwork Thread

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:32 pm

Joe keeps saying he'll post my story along with the update. I have faith he will eventually, and then finally you will all taste the delicious evil of Diabolicky-O's!!

Or just read my story. That works too. It's got the same evil, fruity flavor.
Last edited by Skullduggerous on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rone on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:33 am

Okay, so this will be the third time I've posted this on this forum (oh god, I'm a spammer! Must go commit seppuku...) but this IS a thread for Fanworks so...I recently wrote/sang/mixed a song called "Burn", written from Sandra's perspective in the most recent comics. You know, the ones where she's all evil. Yay evil!

*cough* I mean...boo...evilness...

But it compels me to make songs so much more than goodness! How can that be wrong?
An Online Comic. Updated Wednesday and Saturday.
Rone
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:10 am

WOW! Color me impressed! That is a very excellent piece of work. I can't get over the lovely vocals. Who did the singing for that?

Comments, also, 'cuz I have to point out stuff 'cause I'm a critic. One, I woulda liked to see some instrumentals in there. A cappela worked great for most of it, but maybe a little bit more music might have enhanced the effect. On the other hand, the lack of real instrumentals is what made "Tick Tock" so unbelievably awesome, so you decide.

Secondly, I LOVE the lyrics. They quite capture Sandra's personality at the moment, and I could picture her face quite clearly at certain parts of the song.

In all, VERY good work. I likes it! And that voice is lovely.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rone on Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:14 am

I did the singing. I like making songs. It's a hobby. Sadly, I don't have any instruments other than my voice, and I haven't really grasped how to use GarageBand properly yet. I'd love to have some epic guitar in there too. Maybe some drums.

Since I don't have any of those things, I tried to add some layers with my voice instead.

Glad you liked it!

((I haven't had a chance to read your work above. Sorry! Studying up for an interview next week! Blurrrg...As soon as I have a chance, I'll read/post thoughts!))
Rone
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:44 am

Well, you have an incredible voice, that's for sure. (Funny thing is, I never imagine forum posters as being able to sing, since I never imagine them as anything other than gray facsimiles of generic male silhoettes...kinda like Mr. Chalk but without the evil.)

And don't worry. I just put my fanfic up to fill space...

And because it's the beginning of a terrible saga of evil, violence, hatred, and destruction! (Yes, there will be spontaneous combustion in there, too.)

Oh, and I thought you layered the lyrics quite well. It made kind of an echoey spooky effect (at least I think that's the technical term.) It helped the song do well even without music.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MrBigMr on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:22 pm

This, this, this, this,these... Maybe some abscure stuff here and there. Nothing big, I think.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
- Edel, Princess Tutu
MrBigMr
Keenspot Despot

Postby Omeg@ on Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:58 pm

MrBigMr wrote:this

Errr... Why is this "not available in my country" if we both live in the same country?

Unless...

You're really A RUSSIAN!!
If Pavlov and Mengele had a child together, his name would be Omeg@.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby MrBigMr on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:37 pm

I can't see it either, but I put up a link to it for those that can. Put the blame on the person who uploaded the video on put a ban on all foreign devils.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness. May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
- Edel, Princess Tutu
MrBigMr
Keenspot Despot

Postby BrianJ on Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:05 pm

Well, I hosted the videos there on YouTube on mBm's behalf, mainly because at the time, he had lost his own copies of them. I didn't put any sort of restrictions on them at all. I don't know why they would be limited to only some countries. Anyone else not in the US having a problem viewing them? I guess YouTube decided to meddle with it or something. At one point, they threatened to take the Can't Say Goodbye ones down, because of music copyright stuff, or somthin'...

The "this" you were referring to, Omega, was mBm's video "A Girl Like You". I notice now that YouTube has decided to tack on an "ITunes" advertisement to that particular video so viewers can buy the Edwyn Collins song. Maybe that has something to do with you guys not being able to view it where you are... Dang youtube...

Rone: Superb job on the song! Love it. There are parts of it that remind me a little of "Gollumn's Song" from Lord of the Rings - The Two Towers, and then again, it's very different as well. You have a very nice voice, and I love how you sing harmony with yourself. Very well done. I could see where some background music would fit, but also think the lack of it (with the echo effects) makes the singer seem more... alone. Any way you could post the lyrics here as well?

Skullduggerous: Can't wait to see your "Damaged" fan work.

Some day I'll get off my duff and make some fan stuff as well...
"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Rone on Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:49 am

Any way you could post the lyrics here as well?

"Burn"

Been lost so long,
No one left to find me.
Walking so long,
No one left behind me,
But enemies
And shattered friends
Can never mend.

I guess I'm better off alone...alone...alone...

Cuz it's gonna burn! Burn, burn!

I can't stop this fire
Rising up in me!
All these dark desires
Are all that I can see.
I am the shadow,
Often felt, but rarely seen!
I own your tomorrow
Say goodbye to all you've seen.

Cuz it's gonna burn.

I live in a town (sweet town) of loving fear,
And gentle pain, and sweet soft rage,
And comforting despair.
I have my place.
I have my role.
A purpose in this town!
You've got nothing here to offer,
Compared to happiness I've found (I've found)!

And I'll let it burn! Burn! Burn...

I fly so high
No one left to hurt me.
So much is mine
Darkness can't desert me.
I own this realm (my realm)
Of broken souls (your souls)
Shattered hearts and bones (your bones).

Now can't you understand?
I wanna be alone!

I want to see you burn.
Rone
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BrianJ on Thu Feb 26, 2009 2:58 pm

OK. I'll just throw these old things out there.

Still Images:
Sandra vs Morrigan - I always thought Sandra would clean house in a fight game.
Deadly Showdown - There once was a forum discussion about what would happen if Sandra, Ash from Army of Darkness, and Hellboy ever met up. It was finally decided they'd end up playing Monopoly. go fig.
Zebra Girl Stereogram - It's a Magic Eye, made of text! Unfocus/cross your eyes until two of the # symbols at the top overlap each other, and a 3-D image appears! MaaaAAAaaagiiiiic!! (revealed)

Special occasions:
Joe's Birthday 2003 - A tribute to the best sound effect ever!
Joe's Birthday 2004 - Oooh! Ahhh!
Joe's Birthday 2006 - Something different for his BDay? Nope!
Christmas Dream - Note the reference to BS's Cast Bio.

Animated GIF "NewsBoxes":
These were ideas that were submitted for potential Keenspot Newsboxes to promote ZebraGirl. Some of them were used. Some I don't know if they ever were. Some were probably just too dang large to use. Anyway, here they are:
1 - Stripes - Slide down the stripes with me
2 - R-E-S-P-E-C-T - Find out what it means to me
3 - One of those days - Can you FEEL the angst?
4 - Villains - See if you can name them all (you can't. One was never named)
5 - Relearning To Type - Chopsticks on your fingers nothing...
6 - Meeting New Friends - I love Jen Stone. She needs a spin-off comic!!
7 - Valentines (COLOR Version!!) - How romantic!
8 - Who is Who - The lead-up to their final confrontation!

The Adventures of Stubby:
One time, Sandra decided to create a new character in her Journals. I had a little fun with him (as it turns out, not NEARLY as much as Sandra had with him...)
Stubby 1
Stubby 2

Now, you may have noticed a theme in all of these fan works: the fact that I'm just manipulating Joe's outstanding artwork instead of using any of my own. Well, it turns out there's a REALLY good reason for that: I can't draw my way out of a wet paper sack!! To prove it, here is the only completely original artwork I ever drew. The background is, a long time ago (in a galax... never mind), there was a "Cute War" here in the forums, where all the characters that ever appeared in the comic were drawn in uber-cute-chibi form by various forumites. The carnage was unbelievable. Some of us never recovered from the amounts of cuteness heaped upon us. Oh the humanity!! Anyway, I thought that the only way to combat non-cute-characters-being-drawn-cute was to draw cute-characters-being-not-cute. Here is the result: Evil Crystal *cringe*

OK. I'll shut up now...
"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:50 pm

Actually most of those are quite good. Except for...that last one...*shudder* So THAT'S what happened to all the forum posters...they must have been consumed in the war of cute...

Anyhoo, those are some really respectable applications of Joe's art. I myself was hankering to get Flash Animator and do AWESOME things until I figured out Sandra was a bitch (no pun intended) to draw. How does Joe keep all those stripes so EVEN?! God damn it!!

Well that didn't work, but a moving animated Zebra Girl always catches my interest. Nice banners.

Oh, and I found the Broadshoulders one particularly interesting. When I was first reading that storyline it sort of snuck up on me--I wish I'd known earlier on how much their battle would decide. I think that banner pretty much sums it up.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MrBigMr on Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Ah, found some stuff off of my hard drive.
The happy couple now:
After a few years together:

Ah, ye olden "Joe likes your money" topic when the bunnyboy first started weaseling off of our backs.

I still seem to be missing the old "I don't like that look" shop I did.
- Edel, Princess Tutu
MrBigMr
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:38 am

Hey, those aren't bad.

In other news: http://zebragirl.keenspot.com/damaged.html

My fanfic is up. And Joe did the unthinkable, the impossible, the utterly awesome. He drew for it.

Verily, I worshipeth him now. No, really. You have no idea.

Go see it! It's been in the works for weeks! Blood and sweat and tears were involved in its creation! It might not eat your soul!

And please let me know what you think. I made it partly for you guys, after all.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:48 pm

Come on! Somebody read it!

...Please?
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:30 pm

I read it when it was in the thread, couldnt read it again recently cus of time issues... but the artwork that Joe provided reminds me strongly of Invader Zim
BURN, JACK, BURN!
*This is not a subliminal message*
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby BrianJ on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:23 pm

Currently in the process of reading it now. So far, I like it lots. Very nice style. "Nothing ever happens around here..." :lol: Congrats on the added artwork. That *IS* an honor! I'll have more when I finish reading.
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:42 pm

YAY! RESPONSES!

You guys made my day. Although I can't help but wonder if this entire forum's members are actually robots that awaken from cryo-sleep solely on Teusday and Friday evenings...

Thanks for the opinions so far. And my dear Mr. Shortyland, you are indeed correct in drawing a line between Zim and this noxious fanwork of mine. It is, in fact, the very evil brain behind Invader Zim that created Nny, the physically emaciated psychopath from the story. I have Jhonen Vasquez and his madness to thank for creating such a weird and charming character.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby vole-in-hand on Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:44 pm

Skullduggerous wrote:I can't help but wonder if this entire forum's members are actually robots that awaken from cryo-sleep solely on Teusday and Friday evenings...

OH SH-
vole-in-hand
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kubrick on Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:24 pm

I couldn't resist. Oh how I couldn't resist.

lol, somehow I've a hunch good old Jacob was inspired by the original graphic novel. It's certainly not the first time Joe's made reference to some of the greats.
Kubrick
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kubrick on Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:04 am

Oh, Rone?

Forgot to mention: New song is fantastic.
Kubrick
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Rone on Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:21 am

Thanks! I'm still trying to figure out how to add music to it.

Step One: Get a piano. Get the money to get a piano.
...I think I'll be on this step for a while.
Rone
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MrBigMr on Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:16 am

Or get a friend who knows some people who know some people who find stuff that fall off the backs of trucks.
- Edel, Princess Tutu
MrBigMr
Keenspot Despot

Postby Briareos on Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:13 pm

Rone wrote:Step One: Get a piano. Get the money to get a piano.
...I think I'll be on this step for a while.

Get a MIDI keyboard for your PC and this (and a VST host if you don't have one).

Helluvalot cheaper than a real piano. :D
Briareos
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to Zebra Girl