Lookee what I made!

Ever have one of those days?

Moderator: JoeEngland

Lookee what I made!

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:59 am

I figured I should make a topic for my fanfiction, just to see what you guys think.

http://zebragirl.keenspot.com/chatroom.html

Well? Opinions, thoughts, razor-sharp criticism? C'mon, I thrive on feedback. How do you like it?
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Lookee what I made!

Postby BrianJ on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:13 pm

Excellent! I think you captured Mary (for as much as we know of her) and Sam very well in this. Cool concept: the return to the message boards after his recent ordeal. The format of the original comics for this leads very well into doing message board fan-fiction. Very neat.
"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Shortyland05 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm

yea, that was a pretty good Fanfic, quite original format as well :)
BURN, JACK, BURN!
*This is not a subliminal message*
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skippy the Neandert(h)al on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:45 pm

That was effin' cool! What they said!

To be critical, because I love being bombarded with critique; I thought it was slightly lengthy in the middle, but then again, I have a very short attention span, so it might just be me. I mean, seriously, nothing to get all doubtful about yourself on.
` Through the Goggles of Science and Wackmobiles, I can see into the mind of anyone... Occasionally, this sensory madness causes me to have Spurious Brainchildren. Want proof? Be my guest.
` While you're visiting, feel free to wander into my lab. Watch that I don't keep you there.
` Oh, apparently I'm also some sort of artist and lame photo comedian. Who knew?
Skippy the Neandert(h)al
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:31 pm

Actually, I value criticism far more than I value praise. I've found it to be a million times more helpful.

I did lose my train of thought at some point while I was writing--that might account for some wandering during the middle.

If you guys like this, I have more coming up. I've got several scenes I want to try out, which also stand on their own. Of all the universes I've messed with in my fan-writer career Zebra Girl is the most fun to imagine new scenaries for. The trouble is making it look good in text form.

Thanks for all the opinions so far! I'm glad to hear you liked it!
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BrianJ on Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:59 am

I didn't think it got to be rambling in the middle. That's kinda the way chats tend to go, from what I've seen.

The one thing that DID catch my eye the first time I read this through was the fact that Sam's giving Mary grief for use of ellipsis ("GiantTalkingCartoonRabbit: There it is again. There must be an epidemic going around."), then, just three of his entries later, HE'S using ellipsis ("GiantTalkingCartoonRabbit: Maybe another time. Right now I've got a headache and I don't really want to think about it any more...I'm tired of thinking."). It wasn't until much later that Mary noted his use of them (when she thought he was offended)...

Actually, I hope you revisit this arc and add other conversations. I think there's a lot to explore here. Then again, I REALLY hope Joe will go back and explore the Sam/Mary thing as well (I'm sure he will someday).

"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:45 am

Yeah, I see what you mean. I will admit I tend to use ellipsis a LOT in my writing, so frequently I will forget I even put them in there.

I definitely intend to continue this. When I wrote it, I figured there would be MONTHS before I could keep going with it, but now that Joe's established his new status quo for updates, I might take another stab at it much sooner than expected.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Zebra Girl