Current Comic Thread

Ever have one of those days?

Moderator: JoeEngland

Current Comic Thread

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:50 am

Why? Because we need one.

Admit it, there are literally hundreds of threads on comic updates. I know this makes more topics to post in, but do we really need that in a forum that is so darned quiet most of the time? It's like buying a lake to put a couple goldfish in.

So, seeking to make things simpler, here's this thread. "Current comic" threads have been done before by my other favorite webcomics forums, and I see no reason why we can't have one here. (If Joe prefers the update threads, he is free to asplodinate this thread and we can go back to the update threads. But somehow I don't think he will.)

Alright! Having made the thread, I will now express my opinion on the newest update, 02/05/09 comic.

JEEZ!

Every time we see Sandra she gets creepier. A long time ago, gravity control was just another cool thing she could do. Now she uses it to scare the crap out of people.

And has anyone noticed how skinny she's gotten? I mean, I know Joe's style has gradually changed, but the poor girl's getting really bony. Must be the whole demon lifestyle--she isn't even eating to supplement her diet of soul-munching, so I guess it makes sense. In addition to that, the only healthily curvy demons out there are succubi, and we don't see Sandra seducing anyone.

She looks so cool just hangin' there on the ceiling, though. One thing I like about good villains is that even when they're flipping out, they act like they have everything under control. And half the time, they do.

Alright, that's my two cents. Posting can start whenever there's updates, as Shorty has already started a thread for the "Dust" comic.
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: Current Comic Thread

Postby Shortyland05 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:07 pm

lol, i might as well post in this one...

I have just noticed that she is getting more skinny. Perhaps its something that changes according to her mindset/mood? Like for example when she was trying to do good or looking for a way to 'cure' herself she had a 'normal' body size. But when her mindset is to be evil and sadistic perhaps her body changes in accordance?
BURN, JACK, BURN!
*This is not a subliminal message*
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby BrianJ on Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:27 pm

A "Current Comic Thread" could work. I'll try it out for size. The first poster to it for a new update should probably put something at the beginning of the post to note the latest comic being referred to, such as:

Feb 5, 2009 - Pardon Our Dust

but that might be overboard.

Her skinniness might be a topic for ye-ole-science-debate thread, wherever THAT has gotten to these days. She might have total control over her slenderness, such as she does over the length and rigidity of her tail, the length of her claws (and how sometimes her claws seem to more resemble rounded fingers, while other times they are definitely sharp and pointy), and whether or not she even HAS wings. It may even be subconscious for her.

Also, lookie-lookie. Sandra updated her Journal again. hee hee! :D Poor Sam.
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Omeg@ on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:14 pm

so drunk....

allright....

Good to see another update, even it it's a short one

Fûll pages were a luxury for me anyway.....

Updates are what keeps this place /forum) alive. new stuff

that shit. yeah!

Tgatäs what keeps this place going. Gonna have a meeting with my army buddies. Four days drinkin' ya hear!!!

straight up four days. No sobber momment

nonononoooooooo~~~~

Gonna bost something next week. Glad to see that Joe's alive once again. Though he's starting to ruin the supprise by repeativle turning alive. or somethingsssssss...

perkele...

Edot: OI gets ya Mr. England. Though not sure how improtant you think of his place. yousa some big artist, yeh? well you kan shove it!! you don't givys some updates, yousa foot as nothing!11
Real life hard, man. I'll buyes you a beer when I see you. If you think that this is the best way to continue with Zebra girl, then i's up to you. I'll make my own webcomic, with blackjack and hookers and forget about the damn webcomic!!!
Last edited by Omeg@ on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If Pavlov and Mengele had a child together, his name would be Omeg@.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby Shortyland05 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:19 pm

lol

just noticed that Sandra had updated her journal, one of the funniest ones she as done xD
BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby SleepyOrigami on Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:24 pm

Sandra looks particularly creepy in this update. The first thing I noticed was how her hair frames her head and gives her this look of falling while floating at the same time. Then I noticed the hand-like bones in her wing and how loosely her clothes fit her...

Shortyland05 wrote:lol

just noticed that Sandra had updated her journal, one of the funniest ones she as done xD

I have to agree with you on this one. This journal is awesome.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Skippy the Neandert(h)al on Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:36 pm

Hooray! I luv updates. Hmm. Maybe Sandra's skinnier because her growing evil strength needs more sustenance than usual? She may have to resort to eating something larger than bacteria!

Poor Sam. That's hilarious!

Just want to mention to Joe, your new way of updating is the same kind of idea I've had for my website, the Corrigendopedia. I am trying to construct it beginning with blog posts (http://corrigendopedia.blogspot.com) and then transfer them to the web. Well, why not? I've just discovered that doing a huge entry takes way too long while doing one small chunk or something every few days can work, but I keep getting stuck, what with having a life and three other blogs, etc.
` However, you've actually given me an idea - I could do any size of chunk, really, rather than just small parts. Why did I not think of this before? Sigh! (Still hard at work on that 'abstract thought' thing!) Maybe I will be able to move on, after all! Thanks, Joe!
` Through the Goggles of Science and Wackmobiles, I can see into the mind of anyone... Occasionally, this sensory madness causes me to have Spurious Brainchildren. Want proof? Be my guest.
` While you're visiting, feel free to wander into my lab. Watch that I don't keep you there.
` Oh, apparently I'm also some sort of artist and lame photo comedian. Who knew?
Skippy the Neandert(h)al
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:45 pm

WOAH! Didn't notice the journal update. As always I am creeped out and fascinated.

Sandra's journal is one of my favorite parts of the site. We never really know what Sandra's thinking when we see her in the regular comic; the current moment would be an excellent example. She's just hanging there...

I love the journal because it's a direct window into what used to be her mind. It provides so many wonderful minor revelations on her state of mind that we just wouldn't have otherwise. As chilling as it is, it's still fascinating, because you can not only plot the course of her downfall through the journals, but you can really infer a lot from it. For instance, it's difficult to wrap one's mind around Sandra's sheer power. She can be everywhere at once, mentally. And possibly, physically. The idea of her lounging on Jack and Crystal's ceiling, and at the same time crouching in her cabin scribbling out her latest journal, is just eerie.

But for me the most interesting part of who Sandra is now, is how utterly removed from humanity she is. The trauma of the Hellbubble doesn't sufficiently explain her current madness. I believe that the expansion of her mind into its new "demon mode" practically snapped her human mind in half--she doesn't seem capable of thinking in much of anything but a demonic fashion now.

Just me babbling. Other opinions?

Oh, and by the way, feel free to start a discussion on the science of Sandra's form in here. Hopelessly speculative as they are, such discussions are endlessly fascinating to me. And the Science Debate thread is probably buried in the sands of the forum's lost threads anyway.
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:21 am

hmm, perhaps shes had a 2nd conciseness ever since she has turned into a demon? This Conciseness could of been a basic shell, like a blank slate sort of thing. Along the way it could pick up Sandra's personality, her memories, her mind itself... and with the whole hellbubble incident that could of been the opportunity for it to emerge and take over. But that's just my midnight ramblings
BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby vole-in-hand on Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:33 am

She hasn't slept in weeks, and you're surprised she's looking a little peakish?

What I find disconcerting is how much she resembles a painting of the Virgin Mary right now.
vole-in-hand
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Skullduggerous on Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:04 pm

It shouldn't matter to her, physically, that she isn't sleeping because as far as I can tell demons don't sleep, or aren't supposed to. Although mentally, that can't be good for her. I wonder what it's like to never sleep?
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby stardrive on Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:20 am

I'm still looking for Sandra to blow a gasket. She's being quite calm at the moment. I wonder if she's actually there, or just projected into their minds like the dog-owner saw his wife when she wasn't there. I'm glad to see Crystal is finally having a go at reasoning with her. (And another thought that someone mentioned)-- I think she did stop to sleep in the house she was in, when she had Sam trapped. So..demon's sleep..or just Sandra does. But..she doesn't eat..anything? You say she absorbs..something to keep going. (?) Strange.
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:29 am

She's an O-class demon, according to Mr. Chalk. That means she absorbs life force. She constantly sucks the energy out of the microbial life around her, which makes her personal space very cold.

Wacky stuff.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:16 am

Current Comic: DON'T!

well now, that is one quality piece. I quite like how Joe has drawn Sandra in that 3rd panel, one of the first of his current style showing Sandra's true demon side
BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skeik_Sprite on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:30 am

Wow, I have to say how scary this frame is. Her facial transition from frame 1 to 3 is just insane to me :o
Skeik_Sprite
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Omeg@ on Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:34 am

Oh fuck yeah! Fire breathing. Kinda cliche, but the the look on her face is brilliant.
If Pavlov and Mengele had a child together, his name would be Omeg@.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby stardrive on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Dammnnnn! Sandra's a firebreather?! Wicked expression on her face.Shades of ..YOU FIRE! Is Jack still rated for this? Been a while since he got torched. But..this time only the table got it. (Here comes Andy Rooney..) Did you ever notice..once you finally get to a new update..it only increases your wanting the new one to come sooner? Good strip..way cool. I'll be here.
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby vole-in-hand on Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:28 pm

good god
vole-in-hand
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Skullduggerous on Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:25 pm

HOLY SHYTE!

I actually JUMPED when the page loaded!

That face has to be THE SCARIEST thing I have seen yet in this comic. When a character has changed this much it truly frightens me.

Yeesh.

Although the table-burning is kind of...anti-climactic. I expected her to burn someone, not something. But hey, I bet she HATES the house by now anyway. If that's her motivation I'm all cool with her burning it down. It was her prison for a long time, after all...
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:57 am

I can only expect someone to put the words YOU FIRE! in the bubble where DON'T is atm
BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby SleepyOrigami on Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:14 am

Whoa! The mood changed from creepy to scary in record time. That face. DAMN

The fire breath shows that she means serious business. This fight could get really ugly really fast. I can't wait to see what else she does.

The face. *shudders*
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Skullduggerous on Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:10 pm

If she wasn't scary before, she's terrifying now.

That expression is somehow deeply, deeply disturbing...to the point where I like the photo-inverted version BETTER. (It doesn't stare into my soul quite as much.)
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Magugag on Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:50 pm

You know, this new schedule already makes me feel like this comic's being updated more.

God I love this story. We're finally to a confrontation between Sandra and her (admittedly messed up) family!
Magugag
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:16 am

the only person missing is her mum ;)
BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:34 am

I've got that covered. *Hoards fanfic*
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Zebra Girl