Wow

Ever have one of those days?

Moderator: JoeEngland

Wow

Postby Zirik on Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:15 am

Just the other day I read through the entire archives of Zebra Girl, from start to finish.

Wow.

I have to say it's now my favourite webcomic. Perhaps my favourite comic full stop. No other has been so emotionally moving as Zebra Girl.
Zirik
Junior Keenspotter

Re: Wow

Postby Skullduggerous on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:29 am

I did the same, a few days ago. And I feel the same way. I could go on for days about it...instead I'm just going to relish how incredible it is.

Sorry to sound like a me-too-er, but this comic is...amazing.
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Wed Nov 26, 2008 5:32 pm

we have all experianced it when we first read the comic for the first time... I actually saved all of the archives up to a point lol...

oo and Zirik, ive done my monthly FIRE!! (Plus im out of matches xD) so ill let some of the others do it >:3
BURN, JACK, BURN!
*This is not a subliminal message*
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby Zirik on Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:33 pm

I'm in the progress of saving all the archives. I have gotten up to about 2004 or so. Still going, and it's nice to read through again. :)

It's so incredible. I probably sound like a loony, but I empathise so much with what Sandra has to go through. I'm something of a demon myself, figuratively speaking.

Blegh. Is this comic supposed to bring me to tears on a regular basis?
Zirik
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Skullduggerous on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Saving the archives? That's an interesting idea. Personally, I'm just waiting for Joe to pop this thing out in book form, and then I'm going to buy it like that.

And...I'm surprised on how much I agree with you in terms of the emotional power of this comic. I'm not sure if we're even supposed to sympathize with Sandra, at this point, but I certainly do.

Zebra Girl hasn't managed to bring me to tears yet...but it's come very close. I know I've been on the edge of my seat with suspense, wide-eyed and definitely slack-jawed during some parts. Recent events have incited genuine grief in me for the demon girl.

In my eyes, when a comic or any medium manages to convince me one hundred percent that a character is real (at least while I'm reading), to the point where I truly feel sorry for her, then the author has definitely won.

Hmm. You're a newcomer. As am I. It's apparently tradition on this forum to do a certain something when a new forum poster arrives. So without further ado...

*taps maestro's pedestal* ...Ahem.

FIRE!!
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Zirik on Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:26 pm

Mainly its the parts where Sandra wants to tell her mother but can't. I'm in exactly the same situation. I fear my mum would be devastated to know what I am, and my father would probably want to get me an exorcism (no exaggeration) if he found out. It's not nice to be something that is widely feared and hated. Still, it is comforting to have people around that understand and are willing to help.

And now I'm getting teary just thinking about that. Sorry. Enough about me. The comic is awesome. :D
Zirik
Junior Keenspotter

Postby vole-in-hand on Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:09 pm

Ironically I started reading this comic right at the start of the "dark crystal" storyline, a weird period when I myself was nocturnal.
I considered Jack "Nailthumb" one of the coolest characters in anything, ever.

I've changed a lot since then, but.. still here I suppose.
vole-in-hand
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BrianJ on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:42 pm

I started reading just as the Zinderella arc was starting, and I've archived the ENTIRE thing (less a couple of faneramas). 497 images, 70.5Mb of comic, 124 images, 9.37 Mb of journal. Yep. Just a little bit of a fan.

Speaking of which, Sandra hasn't made a Journal entry for a while. Guess she's been too busy terrorizing the town, and filling in for Joe, too!

Any way, Zirik and Skullduggerous, welcome. Nu's burning Nu's. Neat. Anyway, I always like hearing how people stumble across Zebra Girl. How'd you guys find it?
"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:35 pm

Anyway, I always like hearing how people stumble across Zebra Girl. How'd you guys find it?

I was thinking about that the other day. And you know something?

I don't actually remember.

All I remember is reading the ENTIRE thing through over the course of 2 entire days, breaking only for sleep, train ride, and classes. I remember the first page crystal clearly...but before that, it's blank!

I swear we got some Parkman brain mojo thingy goin' on here. Or else Joe's hiring aliens to steal my memories. Or maybe I just forgot.

The closest connection I can make is that the day before, I had started on a webcomics kick, and I was reading through Daisy is Dead, which was surprisingly funny. I got bored with D.I.D., and then...my memory just skips to Zebra Girl.

Just thought I'd mention that...it's odd for my memory to be completely blank like that. I usually remember SOMEthing...

Speaking of which, Sandra hasn't made a Journal entry for a while. Guess she's been too busy terrorizing the town, and filling in for Joe, too!

I'm perfectly happy with a break in the journals. By the end of my massive read-through of everything Zebra Girl, they were really starting to creep me out. Which, I suppose, is the point.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Briareos on Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:35 pm

Well, for me it was the Keenspot ad with Sandra climbing down the church(?) wall and giving the girl 20 dollars to make a ruckus (well, it ran at that time and was composed of these frames IIRC)...

I bookmarked the site, ignored it for a few weeks, then I got bored someday and read everything in one or two days... :D

np: Gas - Track 7 (Zauberberg)
Briareos
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby vole-in-hand on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:01 pm

Briareos wrote:Well, for me it was the Keenspot ad with Sandra climbing down the church(?) wall and giving the girl 20 dollars to make a ruckus (well, it ran at that time and was composed of these frames IIRC)...

I just watched Aliens for the first time today. Didn't even realize there was a little quote in that strip.
vole-in-hand
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SleepyOrigami on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:56 am

This comic moves me too. The plot, characters, and gorgeous artwork have stolen my heart . . . and burnt it to ashes.

I started reading Zebra Girl when the comic for April 30, 2007 was the newest. I saw that page and was instantly smitten. I had to know what was going on and so I hit previous to read the next page. I ended up reading the entire comic in reverse chronological order within a matter of days. I then read it from beginning to end like a *cough* sane person. :shifty:

As to how I came across this masterpiece, its a fairly simple story. I read El Goonish Shive in late 2005 which lead to the Wotch a year later and from the link page there I saw a little animation of Sandra on fire and thought I'd click the link since it was time for me to find a new comic. It has been a part of my daily schedule ever since.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BrianJ on Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi, SleepyOrigami.
YOU! FIRE!
Welcome! It's always good to see some new faces in here.
"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:13 am

Ah, tradition. Everybody loves a good (imaginatory) burning.

In other news, speaking of "wow," lookee what I found!

http://www.clickwheel.net/features/41
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby stardrive on Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:51 pm

I can remember how I found her. I was looking for the Zebra LADY on the front of the Heavy Metal magazine (I still have that issue) and I put in Zebra GIRL. My happy accident!(the lady has the stripes and the "horse" has nearly none. Must see to appreciate.) Can I tell you how great it was to see such a good story pop up from the net? That's why I'm hangin. GO SANDRA!
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:24 am

Ignoring spam zombies which will be banned shortly, I return.

A very "wow" worthy comparison is the one between the old stuff and the new stuff. I mean, look at this.

http://zebragirl.keenspot.com/d/20000804.html

And now we've got...woah.

http://zebragirl.keenspot.com/d/20080405.html

I mean, I know it was eight years ago, but wow. I rarely see a comic come this far. Incredible.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby stardrive on Sun Dec 28, 2008 12:51 am

Hey, now. The old stuff was just that...the first stuff. There was genius there as well. Did someone say (new thought) that there was a quote in ALIEN that was also in ZEBRA GIRL? That was some scary movie...when you didn't know that something was gonna jump outta that egg case. Three girls sitting in front of me at the theater jumped and screamed at that point....and THAT didn't do me any good! I still say...this script...handled well...could make a terrific movie on the big screen.
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:10 am

I think I disagree. There are things you can do with comics that you just can't do with movies. It's a cool idea, though. But I would nix a live-action proposotion. Animation actually seems like it would work better. Just sayin'. (You all just wait till I get Flash Animator, and then, oh the things we shall see!!)

I agree there was genius in the original years of the comic. It was a different kind of genius. The awesome humor of the initial Zebra Girl is, in fact, what's so striking about the newer issues--er, I mean updates.

The tone is completely different now. Yet we do see remnants of the old hijinx, and that is one of the reasons the comic is so good. It doesn't forget its roots.

(And man...I wasn't even ALIVE when "Alien" was in theaters. That must've been something to see!)
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby vole-in-hand on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:17 am

I'm having so much deja vu right now.
vole-in-hand
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby stardrive on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:00 am

Sleepy origami.....love your "alien". Like Yogi Berra said...It's like having deja vu all over again. Happy New Year! This waiting for the next issue is tough. Does Sandra blow a gasket? Nah...I don't want to see the creepy rabbit with the sharp teeth. Does remind you of Sam and Sandra though. Why does Sam keep asking for beer? (other than he may like the taste) Whatever they do to "ward" off Sandra...they don't want to hurt her. Yeah...Jack's OH SHIT face was great. Thanks, Crystal. Would Sandra mess with Crystal? Would she listen to her? Hmmm. What are some things that have stopped Sandra? (NOT MUCH) C'mon, next issue!
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:46 am

In all respect, Stardrive, maybe ya might wanna put yer thoughts on the current comic...in the current comic thread. >_>

And ease off on the ellipsis use. I'm starting to see dots.

Anyhow, I have a question for all you folks. I've been tinkering with ZG fanfiction for a while now and I can't help but wonder: has anyone else here given it a try? I don't think I noticed you guys in the fanfic section of the site, but I'm curious as to whether any of you current posters has tried out making Zebra Girl fan works.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:52 pm

I haz, Ive made 3 Fan Pictures (one of which is in one of my fanfics, but the other 2 are lost in the 'old news' posts)... Ive also made 3-5 fanfics, some of which are in the fanfiction section of the ZG website. Only thing is that Operation: Silent Move's ending wasnt updated and was on my failed Fansite... I dont know if I can get it back lol. I may hafta write another ending for it xD
BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:39 pm

That's cool. I checked the Fanworks area tho; couldn't find any of your stuff. Had fun looking through the rest of it though.

Anyone else here done any work in that regard?

Oh, and I wrote a new fanfiction (separate from the larger project.) I threw it at Joe; it should be here along with the next update. Which should be coming soon. My brain senses it.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:58 pm

BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Return to Zebra Girl