So who's afraid of Sandra?

Ever have one of those days?

Moderator: JoeEngland

So who's afraid of Sandra?

Postby Skullduggerous on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:22 pm

I don't think any other comic has ever had a character who subtly frightens me in the way that Sandra does.

I could cite her metamorphosis from a sad, beloved protagonist to a malificent creature of the night. Or I could use all the colorful words that fill my head when the picture on my screen loads, and I see the incredibly sadistic look on Sandra's face as she threatens to rip out Jack's fingernails.

Instead I'll just ask a simple question:

Who here is afraid of Sandra?
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: So who's afraid of Sandra?

Postby Shortyland05 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:32 pm

If my mind wasnt bombarded with many concepts and forms of entertainment that involves violence and bloodshed (if that makes sense lol) I would say that I would be a bit afraid of what Sandra has become...

And welcome,
YOU! FIRE!
BURN, JACK, BURN!
*This is not a subliminal message*
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Ah yes, the fire.

Postby Skullduggerous on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:43 am

*sizzles* Thank you.

I wouldn't say it's the violence that scares me. I enjoyed that all through the comic. It's definitely something else.
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Omeg@ on Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:51 am

I don't think fear is a right word for it. Well, yeah, she's scarry, but all the women are if you say something that upset them.

It's silly to be afraid of a comic character anyway, but I do understand what you mean, Skullduggerous.
Maybe I've been reading this comic for too long, from the time when Sandra was just the emo-demon, with some issues. Alright, so now she's an egoistic, selfrighteous hell-bitch, can't really say that she's the first one of her kind. What makes her even a bit unique, is that she didn't born that way.
If Pavlov and Mengele had a child together, his name would be Omeg@.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:07 pm

Good points, those. I would say that I use the wrong word when I say "fear." Not sure how to say it, really.

And yes, it is silly to be unnerved by any comic persona. :D

Maybe I've been reading this comic for too long, from the time when Sandra was just the emo-demon, with some issues. Alright, so now she's an egoistic, selfrighteous hell-bitch, can't really say that she's the first one of her kind. What makes her even a bit unique, is that she didn't born that way.

Yeah, the whole self-righteous hell-bitch thing is really interesting to me. I don't know how she keeps it up, actually, considering all the times she's shown antipathy over it so far. A person can only hold up a facade for so long--eventually, it cracks. But then there are all the other factors holding her to her new "evil agenda."

A complicated girl is Sandra.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby stardrive on Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:43 am

We probably read it because we'd like to see what Sandra will finally do with herself. She has great "powers"....strength,flight,mind control,setting Jack on fire (ha!)and some quite nasty sides to her situation, too. The demons from hell want her. Can you think what you would do, if you had been thrown into the same situation? Crystal seemed to quite enjoy being changed for a while. Wally is making the best of his condition. He couldn't have a better friend than Crystal. The artistry of this strip is quite good, the problems are dealt with...in a believeable way. Once you get that a book of magic did this to a girl. And that a regular girl has a werewolf for a boyfriend. It holds my interest. :)
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BrianJ on Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:00 pm

I came for the artistry. I stayed for the story. It's a rare thing when the two are done so well.
"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:12 am

The artistry improved along with the story. A rare thing in a webcomic.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Omeg@ on Mon Dec 29, 2008 12:50 am

Skullduggerous wrote:A rare thing in a webcomic.

Really?
I've seen quite a few examples. Then again, I do read webcomics a bit too much.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:51 pm

I've seen quite a few examples. Then again, I do read webcomics a bit too much.

And I feel as if I don't read enough. There's simply too many good stories on the 'Web for me to read them all, which is a damn pity, because I like being supportive of good work. I tend to pick a couple comics and become a diehard lurker fan for a while. That's seemed to work so far.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Omeg@ on Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:53 pm

Skullduggerous wrote: I tend to pick a couple comics and become a diehard lurker fan for a while.

What made you come here then?
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:34 am

Boredom and serendipity.

Comics like Megatokyo and Muertitos aren't exactly frequent in their updates, and I got bored waiting, so I started poking around and found the wonderful wackiness that is Zebra Girl. My enthusiasm was fairly intense, so I dispensed with the lurker attitude after about a day and started posting. I figured the forums could use a little zap to bring 'em back to life anyway.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:46 pm

Skullduggerous wrote:I figured the forums could use a little zap to bring 'em back to life anyway.

Soon you shall become one of us, and the forum will be lifeless once again! MUHAHAHAHA
But really, topics have been a little bit more lively since you came along. :)
BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:37 pm

Glad to hear it! That's what I was aiming for. It is a tad embarassing, though, to go on a posting spree and then see my name as the most recent poster for about 8 topics. Heh.

I'm working on channeling my fanboyish impulses into homages to the comic, both delightful and monstrous. These testaments of worth are coming along about as slow as the comic itself, though. And the forms they take are downright odd...England/Vasquez crossover fanfic, anyone? O_o
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Omeg@ on Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:58 am

Skullduggerous wrote:England/Vasquez crossover fanfic, anyone? O_o

Probably wouldn't be the first one. I remember the golden days, when Joe updated (or pretented to) update weekly. This place was so alive, so full of enthusiasm. Fan works kept coming like beer from the tab. If you were hungry for more, all you needed to do was ask for more. We all had our stomachs full of this little piece of phantasy. Ofcourse, the fan works rarely were anywhere near the true story, but they kept us distracted for few weeks before the next update would show up.

After some time, the more or less steady flow of updates started slowing down. The quality of Joe's art and storytelling kept ever improving, but with out the fuel, the fire burned itself out too soon. People cried out for more, but by doing so, they feared that they'd cut open the goose that laid the golden eggs. Then came the hiatus. It was offical after that. The masses would have to learn to live without Sandra&co. for a while. Most of us couldn't hadle that and withered away. We've never seen them after that. I had many friends in here, but now only a handful of the most loyale still remain.

*sigh*
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby Shortyland05 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:36 pm

So would you say that this comic has passed its 'Golden Age'?
BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:31 pm

I would say yes.

A golden age in any civilization is the period where troubles seem brief and impermanent, where diversity and culture reach the highest point. The forum, at least, has passed its golden age. The comic reached incredible heights and stayed there, but fell in the eyes of many viewers when the updates became infrequent, unable to satisfy the fan-horde's thirst.

[dramatism/]

Now has come the "dark ages" of the comic. The old faithful and a ragtag band of newbies stick with the comic, which has effectively entered some sort of mystical slumber with its lack of frequent updates. It's still awesome, it's just awesome a lot...slower than the fast-and-quick posters of old would like.

If a "golden age" is a fan horde of hundreds and a live and thriving forum filled with joyous fanworks, I have to say, the comic has indeed passed its golden age. Like medieval times, now comes the time of waiting for the next update, holding our positions like feudal sentries in the forums, and generally accepting that the old times are gone and won't be back. This is the Dark Ages.

But what comes after the Dark Ages? We know the comic is still good--it's arguably better than it ever has been, in terms of depth and content. I for one (being a fairly new follower of ZG) retain my youthful optimism that despite the slow pace and whatnot, things aren't bad. And they can still get better.

It just may take a while.

[/dramatism]

(Man, I shouldn't sign on here when I'm crazy bored, just look what happens. Do I always make no sense like that? Well, give me your opinions--and if you really want to know, I think I know when this comic's next "golden age" will be. -_o )
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Omeg@ on Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:34 am

Not the comic, but this place, the forum.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby stardrive on Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:46 pm

I need my Sandra update fix. This is still a great story...just like you said...only a little slower on delivery. Newbies on watch.
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:37 pm

In pondering why it takes our good buddy Joe so long to update, I started to look at the actual comic pages themselves. I slowly realized the amount of detail he puts into them. The elaborate cross-hatching and shading is incredible, and as a part-time doodler/wannabe comic artist I can tell you that sort of thing takes FOREVER.

I'm pretty sure an update will come any day now, actually. My psychic powers tell me so.

The next page is going to be intense. The flip-out cometh! Run for your lives and hide in your special anti-Demon-Girl bunkers that all Zebrites should have prepared the day they found this comic! O_O

Meanwhile, I'll be working on my fanfic.
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Omeg@ on Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:43 am

Hmm... Have you read any old ZG fanfiction?

You might not want to tell a same story that's been written before.
-MrBigMr
Omeg@
Keenspot Despot

Postby BrianJ on Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:45 pm

stardrive wrote:I need my Sandra update fix.

Skullduggerous wrote:I'm pretty sure an update will come any day now, actually.

"I see how you quiver with antici...
"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:55 pm

Ding! Update! ^_^ Who's crazy naow?!

I think I might have discovered my supah-powah.

Hmm... Have you read any old ZG fanfiction?

You might not want to tell a same story that's been written before.

That is a very valid point. In fact, I was brainstorming a Hellboy crossover right before I found "About a Boy." It was so much more interesting than anything I could come up with that I laid aside my idea immediately.

Thus, I tried other avenues. Nothing seemed to click in my brain until I came upon an utterly bizarre crossover idea and started writing. After persistent pestering, I managed to establish brief communication with Joe, and he seemed interested in it--more significantly, he did not mention that anyone had attempted to create a similar work in the past.

So I win.

(However, it's a tricky endeavour. I would be very open to any PMed suggestions for the storyline. Also, I'm wondering whether to post what I have on the forums...)
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:51 pm

Hey Skull, what exactly is your fanfiction about... I have heard the word 'Vasquez' but I have no idea on what that is lol
BURN, JACK, BURN!
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby stardrive on Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:08 am

So....maybe she's stayed away because she's afraid of something? Yeah..Maybe. But nothing I can't IGNORE! (Ah,crap!) Gotta wait again for the next update. Closer and closer. You notice the last picture shows a terrific angle on the group not often used? And not a peek of Sandra! What is Wally spaced-out about? He can fight better as a wolf than a (human), can't he? Crystal is gonna be the secret weapon...bet ya. Notice, she's the only one not freaking out. Goooo Crystal!!
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Zebra Girl