Tic-Tok

Ever have one of those days?

Moderator: JoeEngland

Tic-Tok

Postby Kubrick on Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:52 pm

First to comment about the newspost? Really? Cool :)

So, Tic-Tok.Haunting, beautiful. Am I the only one left wanting more?

For those keeping track, this is the third song composed for Zebra Girl to date. The other two are in Fan Works section, for those who haven't heard them yet. In my humble opinion, I think Tic-Tok is possibly the best so far.

Makes me want to have a second go, myself!
Kubrick
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Re: Tic-Tok

Postby BrianJ on Mon Jun 23, 2008 9:18 am

I agree! That's a cool song. Great job, Robin! It sounds awesome. Captures the mood very well. I also like the art you made for it. Sam in the hourglass was a nice touch.

Joe! Very nice with the 10 Doctors! You capture each one very well, and areat Tardis effect.

Lasers in the eyes. Can't wait! :evilgrin:
"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby B.T. Isaac on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:54 pm

Doctor Joe, eh? I'd say, this is the BEST donation animation so far.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Pnelma Tirian on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:00 pm

I love what I can hear of it, but whenever I dl it I get extremely bad quality audio. Could somebody be so courteous as to email me a version through PM or something?
"Hey, when ya gotta go, ya gotta go."

http://asylum.scarredions.com/
VAMPIRES! NECROMANCERS! LITTLE KIDS! PSYCHOS!
Pnelma Tirian
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Oh, very neat.

Postby Skullduggerous on Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:10 pm

I found the picture first, and really liked it. It captures the creepiness of Sam's imprisonment well, and Sandra's newfound psychosis.

Then I listened to the song. Way cool! Fits the picture well, the lyrics were done excellently. I'd recommend maybe some small instrumentals but other than that the song is a credit to its inspiration.
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby stardrive on Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:07 am

Gad! I love Tik-Tok! Did you do that yourself? Where are these pictures someone spoke of? Keep finding neat stuff here. The Sandra bit on you tube is haunting and beautiful. "Your hate of me .....will set me free..." BUT...I can't ....hate her!She didn't ask to be a demon. She's doing what she can with it...and what makes her feel better, she said. If this makes you hug your special someone closer...is that SO bad? :-?
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:53 pm

Who did make Tik-Tok, anyway? Whoever they are deserves an award. It's kind of...beautiful. The singer made my spine tingle.

I for one, found the picture by accident, on a Google image search for "zebra girl." I was bored; I found it on the 2nd page of search results.

She's referring to Sam's hate of her, in the song, I believe...

It would be easy to hate her and call her a psycho bitch. But of course I feel too sorry for her to do that. I've been comparing the early strips, where's she's a cute (angry) confused girl, and now...It's quite saddening.

Stupid Broadshoulders.

Stupid comic, making me emotional over a character. No, don't stop; I love it. Carry on.
___

"It was like having Jiminy Cricket in your head, if he was a serial killer and kept telling you to eat people."
Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BrianJ on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:55 pm

This was extracted from the OLD NEWS archive from ZebraGirl:
Joe **THE MIGHTY GODBUNNY** England wrote:Now, continuing on with regards to fancraft, here's some remarkable work by Shades of Grey's Robin Dempsey... which I'm highly ashamed to have not shown by now, going on a year after it was sent to me. I apologize, Robin. You may hit me if you like. It was inspired by this comic from last July, in which Sam is in Sandra's thrall. Robin actually created a brief tune appropriate to the scene, and then lyrics appropriate to the tune, and then recorded it. I have it on my iPod, and so should you, because it is haunting and neat and probably very much like what Sandra would sound like if she were musically inclined. So... enjoy. And Robin even made some more traditional fan art to go with it! For creative fans, I give thanks.

Yep. Some good stuff there. Robin "Rone" Dempsey drew the image, wrote the song, and sang it too. Robin rocks. 8)
"Man. Floating in a Mindscape while getting sucked on by an evil parasite isn't NEAR this boring in the comic books." -Jack
BrianJ
Keenspot Despot

Postby Rone on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:51 am

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I've been away from the forums for a rather long time and missed all these posts! Thank you for the praise on Tic-Tok! It was the first song I ever attempted to record and I am shocked beyond belief that it turned out so well! Thank you for all your kind words! I'm glad that you enjoyed my little tune. Singing is one of my favorite things to do!

Little tid-bits on the additional sounds: At the time I recorded this (July 2008) I was at an internship in Utah and far away from any device to create music or sounds with. So I decided to improvise. The ticking sounds were created by clacking the lead around in a mechanical pencil next to the microphone. The mic was then relocated to the floor, where I scraped a bit of cardboard against the carpet of the room I was renting for the "shaah" sounds. Finally, the squeaky popping sounds (around "gears grind and pop") were made by beating up an innocent plastic ketchup bottle. Poor thing never knew what hit it.

Thought it might be fun for y'all to know! Thank you again for the praise!
An Online Comic. Updated Wednesday and Saturday.
Rone
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby stardrive on Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:05 pm

More...?...may I ask..from Tik Tok. It was very well done. The explanation for the sounds was great, also. Maybe you could capture some of these later events and put them to melody. Encore,encore. I'm not playing this up. If you read ZG, and know what a bind Sandra and Sam are in..Tik Tok is amazing. ( I still hate that she said "Hate Me" to release her) You want to help her..but you can't HATE her.
stardrive
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rone on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:59 pm

Unfortunately I don't know if I have the original layered file. So no extension on that one.

But I DID make a new song, which I'll be sending to Joe, inspired by the latest pages. Perhaps that will suffice?

Burn
Rone
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Shortyland05 on Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm

That song was pretty good :D, pretty good lyrics there. Some music in the background would probably be good, but I guess that cant be helped if ya dont have the resources tho
BURN, JACK, BURN!
*This is not a subliminal message*
Shortyland05
Keenspot Despot

Postby Skullduggerous on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:43 pm

THAT'S how you made those sound effects?

I feel very uncreative now...All I do is sit at a computer and punch the keys. :(
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rone on Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:30 pm

I WISH I could punch keys. Frankly, it's amazing I'm able to produce anything at all, as I am so intimidated by technology that I only learn the bare minimum to get by. If I knew the right keys to punch, and where, and how, I might actually be able to make background music for the songs I sing.
Rone
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:24 pm

What you should do is find someone who can do musicking things. I know I can't, but there's bound to be someone who can take your a cappella music and put some music to it.

Maybe poking around here would produce results. I just wish there were more fans frequenting the forums...you'd be more likely to find a GarageBand user or someone if there were more people around.

If you were to put music to your (admittedly very fine) work, what kind would you put in there?
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Rone on Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:09 pm

Something soft and spooky for Tic-Tok...strings maybe.

And I'd rework Burn to be much less eerie and much more rock guitar.
Rone
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Skullduggerous on Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:50 pm

Yay for electric guitar!

Although I also kind of want the existing version on my iPod...>_>
___

Skullduggerous
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Zebra Girl