5/18: Cholesterol talking

A girl, her dog, and the Aztec God of alcohol.

Moderator: pablo

5/18: Cholesterol talking

Postby MarkusN on Tue May 17, 2005 11:25 pm

To testosterone, so you're even ;-)
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby Burger Nerf on Tue May 17, 2005 11:41 pm

Testify, Kevin, testify.

Look, I know that when I start barking about healthy diet I bore the crap out of everyone here. But lemme tell you, Monica, there are some other things that will destroy your girlish figure: a lengthy hospital stay following heavy-duty surgery might do it.

Monica knows this. She's the one who told Kevin, and asked for his help--and has proceeded to JERK HIM AROUND. THIS is one aspect of Monica--or anyone else--I can't stand. This "Mars/Venus" horsecake. "I'm playing Russian Roulette, but you can't get mad at me or try to stop me because women are from Venus!" Crap.

(To be fair, men do lots of stupid things with a similar pissweak defense. I only mention Mars/Venus because it's the most oft-cited defense of the defense of the indefensible.)

Kevin, arrange an intervention. If the other Wapsi Women proceed to take her side, you might as well cut your losses. If you stick around for the heart attack, it'll be all YOUR fault for not trying harder to stop her.

Postby rich on Wed May 18, 2005 12:08 am

From the tone of Kevin's statement about the conscious lifestyle change I think he has had to do that in the past. Maybe he was the fat kid in school and it's a really personal issue to him and he doesn't want someone he cares about to have their health affected because of their own lifestyle choices.
I do also think that he's not talking to Mon in the best way but as long as he explains the reasons for his concern then their relationship can deepen.
rich
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tanukitsune on Wed May 18, 2005 12:50 am

The 3rd panel is as sweet as sugary as the cone she's eating....

PS: Congratz on your independence, Pablo!
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby Elfbiter on Wed May 18, 2005 1:13 am

Tanukitsune wrote:PS: Congratz on your independence, Pablo!

I wonder how it might affect the forums.
---
Living is easy with eyes closed.
Elfbiter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tanukitsune on Wed May 18, 2005 1:40 am

Elfbiter wrote:
Tanukitsune wrote:PS: Congratz on your independence, Pablo!

I wonder how it might affect the forums.

Wapsi will have it's own forum and this one will eventually close, I guess...
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby MarkusN on Wed May 18, 2005 4:43 am

I am beginning to think that this might lead to a first dispute between those two.

Kevin seems to view the subject rather seriously, while Monica has the more typical attitude for her age. What's worse, he appears intent on shoving his worldview down her throat. Never a good thing to do. Not with a lover, not with friends, not with acquaintances, not with strangers.

As Calvin said: "You can present the facts, but you cannot make me care!"

And on that whole "It will give her a heart condition!" discussion: Maybe. Probability of umpteen percent. 40 years down the line. If she eats like that three times a day.

Come on, folks! Life in your tweens is not about a healthy lifestyle, it's about having fun. If you enjoy eating halthy, fine! If you like sports, fine! If you enjoy junk food from time to time, that's fine, too. At this age you should not select your pastime based on some rational decisions founded in dubious statistics. Mental sanity (of the profound sourt, not just "I am not a flake") is at least as important as calories burned.

Same about that Buddhist monk argument brought up yesterday: Buddhist monks (not buddhists in general, mind you!) aspire to free their spirit from the afflictions of earthly enjoyments. Which doesn't prevent them from enjoying them all the more later on. Since they have freed their spirit, it is not afflicted anymore, so endulging said enjoyments does no harm...
The "duty" character of puritanism is a strange concept to buddhism.

Heh! and here I go and do exactly what I told Kevin not to do...
definitely: 92.5 million; definately/definatly: 10.16 million. 11%. Strong the disturbance in the force is.
MarkusN
Keenspot Despot

Postby oof on Wed May 18, 2005 5:51 am

Must be rainy everywhere today, all these dour health warnings! Well, just to undercut the dour tone of this thread; is it just me, or does Monica seem to be sorting...double cleavedge?? You know, it looks like there's 2 litttle "v"'s nestled in the vicinity of her collarbone. It's official, even her cleavege as cleavege!
Pastor of Muppets
oof
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Wed May 18, 2005 6:30 am

Aw, curvey pigtails with curvy figure! Too cute! :) Shoulders back, crocked eyebrow, and workin' it.

But I don't think Kev's buying it. It's a good thing. I'm starting to get annoyed with her, too. Yeah, ice cream is a wonderful thing, especially on a hot day and all. But just because it's yummy, doesn't mean you should eat it.

Poor Kevin. Just look at what he has to put up with. ;)
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby GrassyNoel on Wed May 18, 2005 7:16 am

A point to ponder: without cholesterol, there would be no sex hormones. IIRC they are all made from it.
Avalon Code: R++ S F++ IRC+ FA- GA- FF+ SN LY+ f{L>+++ G>++ 2:185} D{A-- H<-} rJ+ PSL+ P{LI+++ CJ+++ !GB !PC !L(~I) QM-} W+++
---
Read my LiveJournal. Comments welcome, of whatever flavour!
GrassyNoel
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DreadCatPirate on Wed May 18, 2005 7:43 am

Kevin should be a good sport and help her destroy that delicious health hazard by using his awesome licking skills!

Ph34r the tongue! We cats can do EVERYTHING with our tongues! Meow meow!
DreadCatPirate
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Great Giant Panda on Wed May 18, 2005 10:50 am

I wonder if Kevin will talk Monica into swimming or weightlifting. They are healthy pursuits, and jiggling around isn't problematic.
The Great Giant Panda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby amazon princess on Wed May 18, 2005 12:31 pm

Monica as such a great power of seduction :P talking girly like that would make anybody melt like her ice cream ;)
amazon princess
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby IS_Wolf on Wed May 18, 2005 4:30 pm

MarkusN wrote:Kevin seems to view the subject rather seriously, while Monica has the more typical attitude for her age. What's worse, he appears intent on shoving his worldview down her throat. Never a good thing to do. Not with a lover, not with friends, not with acquaintances, not with strangers.

She asked him for help though, if she didn't want him to be fussy about this, then she shouldn't have bloody asked for his help. That's just wasting both of their time.

MarkusN wrote:And on that whole "It will give her a heart condition!" discussion: Maybe. Probability of umpteen percent. 40 years down the line. If she eats like that three times a day.

:roll:
Youth != immortality.

10% of the people who suffer a heart attack are younger than 45. Source
There are 1.5 million heart attacks a year in the US, with roughly 500.000 of these cases leading to death. In addition the total of female deaths from CVDs is only equaled if you tally the next 16 causes of death amongst women. together. Source

Even more numbers in pdf format

Having fun does not equal being foolish either. Going bungy jumping may be fun, or sky diving for that matter, but you still need to check your equipment before making the leap. If you don't, then you're just asking for trouble. This situation with her cholesterol is no different really.

MarkusN wrote:Same about that Buddhist monk argument brought up yesterday: Buddhist monks (not buddhists in general, mind you!) aspire to free their spirit from the afflictions of earthly enjoyments. Which doesn't prevent them from enjoying them all the more later on. Since they have freed their spirit, it is not afflicted anymore, so endulging said enjoyments does no harm...
The "duty" character of puritanism is a strange concept to buddhism.

Who said anything about Budhist monks yesterday?? I'm the one who brought up Budhism and I didn't say squat about monks. You may want to rethink your argument there.

amazon princess wrote:
Monica as such a great power of seduction :P talking girly like that would make anybody melt like her ice cream ;)

Wouldn't be too sure about that. Some of us get annoyed when our time is wasted by folks who claim that they want help, and subsequently do the exact opposite of what they're supposed to do.
IS_Wolf
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haesslich on Wed May 18, 2005 10:25 pm

Cute is fine... but it only goes so far. Especially when it comes to health issues.

Heck, if she ws saying the same things about meth, cocaine, or rat poison, would anyone here buy into it? :evil:
Haesslich
Keenspot Despot

Postby Amethyst Shadow on Thu May 19, 2005 6:10 am

I think Kevin should be more worried about the stuff she eats when visiting family more than the once in a blue moon ice cream.

Well not so much what she eats but how much she eats :)

Although, if Kevin knew what Monica had to deal with daily (Tepz, the girls, and other random supernatural crisis, etc) he wouldn't deny her an ice cream cone. Heck he'd probably buy her the whole truckload :)
"There is no true equity of power. There is only more and less" -- Dega Disciple

The media and fashion industry's view of the ideal female body is garbage. I like my women with curves, not angles.
Amethyst Shadow
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Burger Nerf on Thu May 19, 2005 10:46 am

GrassyNoel wrote:A point to ponder: without cholesterol, there would be no sex hormones. IIRC they are all made from it.

Brain's composed largely of fatty tissues, too. (Who says you don't learn nothin' from Sealab 2021? Verified elsewhere, of course.)

So if someone ever calls you "fathead"...

...well, no, you still want to smack the crap outta them, I guess. Nevermind.

Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby azalea2 on Thu May 19, 2005 11:27 am

Yup. Cholesterol is a building block for many hormones (estrogen, progesterone, testosterone), and is also liked to serotonin production. People with very low cholesterol are more likely to be anxious, depressed, and commit suicide. (Remember, though, that correlation is not causation.) Then again, our dear Monica is not in any danger of having too low of a cholesterol level. :roll:
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby PrettyPrincess on Fri May 20, 2005 7:29 am

Plus, years ago, she was diagnosed with high cholesterol - that's what started her mania with the bikes...

I know I've also got extremely high cholesterol, and the only ice cream I'm supposed to eat it the non-fat no sugar added kind. Ususally I just refrain and then have regular ice cream once or twice a year - it's better than guzzling processed crap. SO I can totally sympathize with Mon.
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Return to Wapsi Square