5/4: Lost Another Loan To Ditech!

A girl, her dog, and the Aztec God of alcohol.

Moderator: pablo

5/4: Lost Another Loan To Ditech!

Postby Burger Nerf on Tue May 03, 2005 11:27 pm

Oh, no, Shelley's getting worse. God help us all.

Speling Natzi sez control hass onley 1 "L."

(Dammit, I know Kramer's a doctor, but she's so cute.)

Postby Tanukitsune on Tue May 03, 2005 11:33 pm

Is Shelly watching a soap opera or the bussines channel? :-?
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby Starline on Tue May 03, 2005 11:38 pm

I hate those commercials.

:(

Starline
Starline
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tanukitsune on Wed May 04, 2005 2:02 am

Something tells me only US wapsites will get this strip... :cry:
What commercial?
Having nothing to worry about makes me nervous...
Tanukitsune
Keenspot Despot

Postby plainjim on Wed May 04, 2005 2:11 am

Shelley wrote:On the TV - *SOB* - Ned lost another loan to Ditech!

Yeah. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Meds and/or sleep deprivation will do it to ya. Stick with it, girl.

As for the doc being cute, I agree. And I think it's discrimination. C'mon, Pablo; we unattractive people want some representation on Wapsi!
I am still in the thrall of one insatiable desire, which hitherto I have been neither able nor willing to check. I cannot get enough books. It may be that I have already more than I need, but it is with books as it is with other things: success in acquisition spurs the desire to get still more. Books, indeed, have a special charm. Gold, silver, gems, purple raiment, a house of marble, a well-tilled field, paintings, a steed with splendid trappings -- things such as these give but a silent and superficial pleasure. Books delight us through and through, they talk with us, they give us good counsel, they enter into a living and intimate companionship with us. What is more, not only does a book win the reader's affection for itself, but it mentions the names of other books, so that one stirs the desire for another. Francesco Petrarca (1346)
plainjim
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Burger Nerf on Wed May 04, 2005 2:32 am

Tanukitsune wrote:Something tells me only US wapsites will get this strip... :cry:
What commercial?

Ditech (ditech.com) is a loan company. "Ned" is an unscrupulous competitor who's constantly trying to pressure customers into signing high-interest deals like some loan-industry Wile E. Coyote. He turns his back for a moment each time, only to discover his marks have abruptly escaped after seeing something--a blimp or sign outside the window, for example--that reminds them they can get a better deal at Ditech. Ned then exclaims in disgust, "Lost ANOTHER loan to Ditech!!"

(not an endorsement)
Burger Nerf
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Elfbiter on Wed May 04, 2005 2:53 am

plainjim wrote:Yeah. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Meds and/or sleep deprivation will do it to ya. Stick with it, girl.

I would have a number of those t-shirts...

plainjim wrote:As for the doc being cute, I agree. And I think it's discrimination. C'mon, Pablo; we unattractive people want some representation on Wapsi!

Rather impossible to define, I'm afraid, because one person's "unattractive" is another persons "very attractive". Just because one does not look like a supermodel or playboy centerfold (urgh!) does not mean one is ugly.

One might scare some people off with some other features, though.
---
Living is easy with eyes closed.
Elfbiter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Dreamishness on Wed May 04, 2005 4:26 am

Elfbiter wrote:
plainjim wrote:As for the doc being cute, I agree. And I think it's discrimination. C'mon, Pablo; we unattractive people want some representation on Wapsi!

Rather impossible to define, I'm afraid, because one person's "unattractive" is another persons "very attractive". Just because one does not look like a supermodel or playboy centerfold (urgh!) does not mean one is ugly.

I find most of the Wapsi characters to have what I call "Non-Standard Beauty". Being, attractive bits not commonly associated with supermodels or centerfolds. Wide variations in height (Monica/Lakshmi), skin color/complection (Jaqualine, Katherine, Shelly, Lakshmi again), and so on, the only body types I don't see represented is the heavier builds.

And even then, all that's just refering to the physical. The personalities are what really brings out thier characters' beauty. ^_^
Dreamishness
Junior Keenspotter

Postby NorphTehDwarf on Wed May 04, 2005 5:57 am

Meh. Let's face it, just because most of the characters ain't precisely beautiful in the classic sense, they're plenty good-looking. Now, me... I'll put it simply: If you saw me without a shirt on, you'd see a dead ringer for the yellow bastard from sin city.
NorphTehDwarf
Keenspotter Supreme

Comic relief in the comic

Postby Yakko_Rex on Wed May 04, 2005 6:07 am

We now see that Pablo has taken us to a lighter tone. I predict that the rest of this week reveals a tribute to ep 92 of 'Gilligan's Island', the one where MaryAnn gets clonked with a rock and wakes up believing that she is Ginger. Who will Shelly turn out to be?
Yakko_Rex
Junior Keenspotter

Postby MsFrisby on Wed May 04, 2005 7:37 am

I love this strip. It's so true. Also, it's just the same as when you are pregnant.

"You made fun of a movie I love and that means you don't love MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" *wail*
"Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie."
-- William Shakespeare --
MsFrisby
Keenspot Deity

Postby Serge_Storms on Wed May 04, 2005 8:22 am

The lighter tone and traditional comic gag style this week is great as it is counterposed against all that has happened lately. There is also that lingering romantic (?) tension in my mind as I read the strips and laugh. I want to see what happens if Heather and Shelly address what level their relationship will be but the journey is more than half the fun. It is no mystery why in a romantic comedy the formula is that the pair do not meet up until the very end. So I hope Pablo takes his time.
Serge_Storms
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby da'G-ELLO on Wed May 04, 2005 2:39 pm

rofl That was awesome.
da'G-ELLO
Junior Keenspotter

Postby DeaExMachina on Wed May 04, 2005 4:36 pm

plainjim wrote:
Shelley wrote:On the TV - *SOB* - Ned lost another loan to Ditech!

Yeah. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Meds and/or sleep deprivation will do it to ya. Stick with it, girl.
Actually, loss of control over emotions is a symptom of a brain injury. It may be poetic to say feelings are from the heart, but they are, in fact, a product of the brain.
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ryalyn on Wed May 04, 2005 7:38 pm

Tanukitsune wrote:Something tells me only US wapsites will get this strip... :cry:
What commercial?

I've never seen it, either. ;)

So, has it really hit Shelly that she's in the hospital and Heather brought her there? There are so many places this could go and I'm so very curious!

Tomorrow's Thursday.
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Serrith on Thu May 05, 2005 6:10 am

Elfbiter wrote:
plainjim wrote:
As for the doc being cute, I agree. And I think it's discrimination. C'mon, Pablo; we unattractive people want some representation on Wapsi!

Well I think all the characters on Wapsi are just a little above average for looks. There are people who would look more attractive, and there are some that would look less attractive. Combine all the girls and you will have the 'ideal' at least what marketing tells us is idea -- right height, weight, skin tone (not too white, not too dark), right hair -- straight, with just a little wave.

I hate marketing -- if what they sold was true, I'd be a beer-drinking-Body-by-Jake-Mountain-Dew-guzzling-Bowflex-nonsugar-eating maniac. However, they lie, and I am not, so there :lol:
Serrith
Junior Keenspotter

Postby The Great Giant Panda on Thu May 05, 2005 3:57 pm

Dreamishness wrote:
Elfbiter wrote:

I find most of the Wapsi characters to have what I call "Non-Standard Beauty". Being, attractive bits not commonly associated with supermodels or centerfolds. Wide variations in height (Monica/Lakshmi), skin color/complection (Jaqualine, Katherine, Shelly, Lakshmi again), and so on, the only body types I don't see represented is the heavier builds.

Yeah, Pablo. I noted the immense diversity, but I've never seen a bbw in Wapsisquare...

Anyway, How tall is Katherine supposed to be? I think she's about 6 feet tall, but I have friends geeky enough to debate such things.

There was one guy who wasn't too handsome: Allan, Kevin's friend.
The Great Giant Panda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Serge_Storms on Thu May 05, 2005 5:20 pm

I always assumed that the reason the characters were somewhat better looking than normal is the same reason they are on most sites: comic drawing is an extremely simplified charactaturish representation of people. That does not mean it is simple to do or crude in its effect. I think the opposite is true. The limitations probably push the technique and artist. But due to the limitations, a lot of the nuances that make us distinct and less than perfect get left out, especially like in Wapsi where the people are supposed to be more lifelike than in, say, Peanuts.
As an example, Davan in Something Positive is pretty normal looking in the comic but a huge part of the humor is that he, in that fictional world, is allegedly pretty ugly, or at least below average.

I think part of the fun of the comic is placing my emotional attachment to it in the hands of the artist and riding it out.
Serge_Storms
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Wapsi Square