April 28 - Go play

A girl, her dog, and the Aztec God of alcohol.

Moderator: pablo

Postby Serge_Storms on Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:28 am

Spectre_General wrote:*And in the next storyline, we find out that Owen is short because his Dad forced him to live in a box like human veal till he was 15*

I'm sorry guys. I love Wapsi Square and I love what's happening here art wise... but I'm afraid the story is getting a little melodramatic for me, now that everyone has some deep dark scarring secret from their childhood manifesting itself in portentious metaphor.

I'm sure this is the wrong place to say this, and I'm sure to get flamed. It's great that everyone else is getting so much out of it, but it just seems (particularly on the heels of a very similar storyline involving Monica) that it's a bit heavy handed. I tend to think that these revelations should be sparing and spaced out.

That said, the art and its use just keeps getting better, so kudos.

This is a fair point to make in the forum. I disagree with it but I can relate to the concern. There was another comic I read that has ended that had a big following, was good for some laughs, but often degenerated into a poorly written Lifetime movie with all the psychobabble and superficial emotionalism about relationships. So I can relate to believing that there should be theme consistency and feeling uncomfortable when a cartoonist gets over his or her head.

I think Wapsi has consistently addressed these deeper themes, though. It has walked a balanced line between laughs at the foibles of the characters and their dealings with their inner demons. You point out Monica
Serge_Storms
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TangledMyth on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:07 am

I cried.

Thank you Pablo.
*hugs*
TangledMyth
Junior Keenspotter

Postby MsFrisby on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:15 am

I love how lil shelly's eyes become people's eyes, and no longer are empty holes in her head. She's SEEING for the first time. She's seeing that her mother is still with her, emotionally. The ability to look back on such a tragic event in her life and no longer only see the pain, but look back with love on the person it involved is a very difficult accomplishment. Some people never can see beyond their loss and treasure what they had.

Also, top notch art again, Pablo.
"Graze on my lips; and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie."
-- William Shakespeare --
MsFrisby
Keenspot Deity

Postby azalea2 on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:17 am

*thumbs up*
You don't know me.
azalea2
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby bunnyThor on Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:31 am

Lee M wrote:While I'm aware that the language cannot and should not be set in stone but rather allowed to grow and develop naturally, it still grates when I see words like "alright". Also "sci-fi" and "guesstimate".

You should chill, dawg.

A dynamic, living language is all upons, for shizzle.

Seriously, you have little cause or basis to grate unless you can honestly say that you never use "Hopefully" in a improper manner. 8)
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby plainjim on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:10 pm

1. Son-of-a-B|TCH! I go away on a conference for three days, check back in with my favorite comic, and Pablo's got me weeping. Twice. In a row.

That was pretty piggy. But well done. I'm impressed. (And sniffling.)

2. As a linguistic-conservative-intellectual-snob, just because a word's on the Merriam Webster site doesn't make it all right; both American Heritage Dictionary (2000) and Princeton U's WordNet (2003) describe "alright" as "nonstandard". All right, all the usages in Partridge's Dictionary of Slang and Unconventional English are in a dictionary, but you wouldn't necessarily use them, especially in writing. That said, it's also all right to say that usage drives orthodoxy, else none of Shakespeare's neologisms (or those in the King James Version of the Bible) would ever have made it into common speech. All right?
I am still in the thrall of one insatiable desire, which hitherto I have been neither able nor willing to check. I cannot get enough books. It may be that I have already more than I need, but it is with books as it is with other things: success in acquisition spurs the desire to get still more. Books, indeed, have a special charm. Gold, silver, gems, purple raiment, a house of marble, a well-tilled field, paintings, a steed with splendid trappings -- things such as these give but a silent and superficial pleasure. Books delight us through and through, they talk with us, they give us good counsel, they enter into a living and intimate companionship with us. What is more, not only does a book win the reader's affection for itself, but it mentions the names of other books, so that one stirs the desire for another. Francesco Petrarca (1346)
plainjim
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ryalyn on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:24 pm

Alright. ;)
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Milligan on Thu Apr 28, 2005 12:36 pm

Gave me chills, man, chills.
Well done.
Go Read Lost & Found Already!
Milligan
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby amazon princess on Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:15 pm

:cry: Omg Pablo. this is such a touching strip. Made me and my girlfriend cry as we read it as I was in her arms. I dont cry often but this strip made us cry like little girls. totally. :cry:
amazon princess
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby libertango on Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:51 pm

bunnyThor wrote:
A dynamic, living language is all upons, for shizzle.

Seriously, you have little cause or basis to grate unless you can honestly say that you never use "Hopefully" in a improper manner. 8)

Well. One hopes I don't. :)

In all seriousness, I apply to "hopefully" the test of phrasing it in the negative -- "Hopelessly, we'll be there in an hour." No, just doesn't work at all. "I entered the room, hopelessly," -- perfectly valid if one is in a doom-and-gloom frame of mind.

The difference between "for shizzle" and "alright" (from a "dynamic, living language" point-of-view), is that the first actually adds something to the language -- texture and flavor. The second is just a typo spread widely by people too lazy to be literate. About the only way to use it without embarrassing yourself is as camp (cf., "teh").

You may well disagree. Hell, I'm so old fashioned I think "lend" is always a verb, and "loan" is always a noun.

On the other hand, when someone thinks I'm an idiot, it's because of what I say, not how I say it... Which gives me a leg up on people who score on both counts. :)
libertango
Junior Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:34 pm

Moms invoke a pretty powerful emotional reaction among Wapsi fans
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinako mochi on Thu Apr 28, 2005 3:39 pm

Spectre_General wrote:I'm sure this is the wrong place to say this, and I'm sure to get flamed. It's great that everyone else is getting so much out of it, but it just seems (particularly on the heels of a very similar storyline involving Monica) that it's a bit heavy handed. I tend to think that these revelations should be sparing and spaced out.

Well, you were right about one thing at least. ;)

Feel free to show us your strip, free of such heavy-handedness.

Enjoy your minority of one. :lol:
Then light
kinako mochi
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kestralyn on Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:12 pm

This was a crazy day, and I'm just now getting a chance to get online. I am aware that my latest bout of vertigo has left me much more emotional than normal, so take this with the requisite grain of salt:

Pablo, you left me weeping. Shoulders heaving weeping. So beautiful. I so hope the scissors never get picked back up.

And honestly, anything he put on a Friday would be a cliffhanger, simply because there is a cliff. The fact that we await Monday's post so eagerly makes it a cliffhanger.
"Wherever a dancer stands ready, there is a holy place" - Martha Graham
"and where she walks, there are sequins" - any Raqs Sharqi dancer
Kestralyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Spectre_General on Thu Apr 28, 2005 7:05 pm

kinako mochi wrote:Enjoy your minority of one. :lol:

This is wicked! Not only do I get my first flame ever, but I get compared to Jesus at the same time! :D

Thanks to Serge too for saying a lot of interesting stuff. As it stands, I'll continue thinking it's a wee bit clich
Spectre_General
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Animal on Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:07 pm

You da man, Pablo. You da man.
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ryalyn on Thu Apr 28, 2005 8:09 pm

Animal! Haven't seen you in ages!

Tackle-hugs him.
Unicorn bait

A kitty is a young cat and a canoe is made of plastic and I have no idea what you're all laughing at.
Ryalyn
Keenspot Despot

Postby Prederick on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:24 pm

Spectre_General wrote:
kinako mochi wrote:Enjoy your minority of one. :lol:

This is wicked! Not only do I get my first flame ever, but I get compared to Jesus at the same time! :D

Thanks to Serge too for saying a lot of interesting stuff. As it stands, I'll continue thinking it's a wee bit clich
Pants. Only neccessary if you think so.
Prederick
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tsula on Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:35 am

First off, I just wanna let Pablo know that I've been a faithful WP groupie since I discovered it a few months ago. It's what really makes me want to wake up in the A.M. And these little arcs are reminds as to why that is. Great stuff, Pablo. :D

Now, I'd discovered WP after I first became hooked on another webcomic called GPF and was curious about the whole Keenspot craze. So I pulled up Keenspot's main page and picked a random comic from the lists. That being said, Wapsi Square is listed under the "Life" section.

My point is that you can't really say WP is playing the dramatic card too much because these days a vast majority of people IRL have issues like these. It's Life. You show me someone's life that's always filled with hahaha and no tears and I'll show you the way to the nearest mental ward. Stuff like this happens, and can be this dramatic when you have people that care about you on the level that these characters care about each other.

If you want 24 hours a day, 7 days a week of roiling laughter, check out something in the "Funny" sector of Keenspot's webcomics list. If you want a comic that can be realistic about what people go through, but can equally have sunny spots of fun and zaniness... well, stick around.

With that being said...Pablo, you rock my world. :wink:
"My computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kickboxing."
Tsula
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Serge_Storms on Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:38 am

[quote="Spectre_General
Serge_Storms
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Llewellian on Fri Apr 29, 2005 6:26 am

Tsula wrote: It's Life. You show me someone's life that's always filled with hahaha and no tears and I'll show you the way to the nearest mental ward. Stuff like this happens,....

Well. In a way: Yeah. But: I know life from the ups and downs and met a bunch of the strangest people of this planet.... and call some of them my friends. All have issues. But i never met anyone that shares his flat with the aztec god of alcohol..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ok, just kiddin. Got to go, its 16.15 now (German Time) and my works over. Weekend begins.... Sun is shining.... grab myself a coffee to go and sit myself down to the river danube on a sunny field... thinking about life... heh!
Nothing is as bad as it looks on the first view...
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tchjdaedn on Sun May 01, 2005 12:10 pm

Tsula wrote:You show me someone's life that's always filled with hahaha and no tears and I'll show you the way to the nearest mental ward.

A lot of people often accuse me of lying to myself when I say this, but my life is perfect.

It's not to say bad things don't happen, but it's not a matter of events, it's a matter of worldview. I haven't shed an honest tear since 1997 (except for a single inexplicable statistical outlier* which I'll conveniently ignore for the moment) and cannot think of any possible event in the future where I would simply because I am an eternal optimist. No matter how bad things get, I always figure that they can't get any worse. And even if some how I believe things ARE as bad as they could get, hey, at least they can't get any worse. That may be oversimplifying it, but my inability to get upset over anything can frustrate people to no end (especially my ex). People ask me how I can do this and I honestly can't explain. I don't know what in my past opened my eyes, but somewhere I picked up an appreciation for all things, and life has had no hardship or strife for me since.

That doesn't mean my life is what other people would consider to be perfect. Life is never without effort; and in my eyes, complacency is not perfection. But the goodness or badness of any event is not universally set, it's culturally defined. To use a christian analogy, everyone wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die. We all want what we consider to be good in the world, but it is our pain and experiences with hardship that make us who we are. Is it a bad thing to know thyself? If not, how can you call any sort of pain bad?

The suspense of this storyline is keeping me on the edge of my seat. I can feel sympathy, but I cannot feel sorry for Heather or Shelly. As I see it, these tribulations are necessary self-defining moments for both of them. Should Shelly have continued to bury her past and refuse to deal with it just because it would be painful? Heck NO! Still, many people deny these sorts of things until they have no choice but to confront them.

I say carpe vitaem and enrapture yourself in the flames that are the forge of your character. If sanity is defined by an inability to laugh at one-self; an inibility to cope, learn, and grow from tribulation; a mandatory view of defining things in terms of pro and con; an inability to find within one-self the acceptance of all things and experiences; and a lack of appreciation for all that the act of purely existing has to offer, then ticket master, I'll take a one way to the looney bin.
Smile, because despite whether or not the decisions you have made in the past were the best, they were ultimately, and in all ways, FOR the best. - - A picture may be worth a thousand words, but the sight itself, a thousand lifetimes.
Tchjdaedn
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Llewellian on Mon May 02, 2005 4:51 am

Hm.... i reread all the last weeks strip.... and my stereo played Linkin Park... from a point of view i really found this fitting....

Linking Park: Somewhere i belong....

http://www.wapsisquare.com/d/20050427.html

When this began
I had nothing to say
And I'd get lost in the nothingness inside of me
I was confused
And I let it all out to find that I'm
Not the only person with these things in mind
Inside of me
But all the vacancy the words revealed
Is the only real thing that I've got left to feel
Nothing to lose
Just stuck/hollow and alone
And the fault is my own
And the fault is my own

http://www.wapsisquare.com/d/20050428.html

I wanna heal
I wanna feel
What I thought was never real
I want to let go of the pain I've held so long
[Erase all the pain 'til it's gone] I want to heal
I want to feel
Like I'm close to something real
I want to find something i've wanted all along
Somewhere I belong
Nothing is as bad as it looks on the first view...
Llewellian
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to Wapsi Square