The Real Monica (PLEASE READ FIRST POST!)

A girl, her dog, and the Aztec God of alcohol.

Moderator: pablo

The Real Monica (PLEASE READ FIRST POST!)

Postby pablo on Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:58 am

This is an experimental thread for this forum and will be quickly deleted if it degrades into innuendo or a venue for anyone acting like a creep. This will be a spot for any serious breast or bra related questions, Wapsi related or not. There are resources out there for women to find better fitting bras and a good 70 some percent of the women out there are wearing the wrong size bra (big busted or not)! Please feel free to join in but as I said, lighthearted fun is good but keep the spirit of this thread serious, please.

The Doodler wrote:Just one question, how big is her chest supposed to be? Is she realy something like an F-cup or is it just cartoony exageration?

Nope, that's not an exageration at all. The girl Monica is physically based on was a 28G when I met her and she had grown to a 28H.

Ooka wrote:Also to clarify bust sizes, the number value refers to the size of the female's chest sans breasts(they measure underneath for that) so the letter refers to the size of the rest.

Exactlly, her ribcage measurement was 28" around and the measurement around her bust was 36.5". That's a difference of 8.5" making the cup size a G cup. Although that doesn't mean the breasts themselves are huge but on a tiny frame like the girl in question (or Monica for that matter) they are big for her frame, thus they look big. Remember, monica is only 4 feet 11 inches and really skinny aside from her chest.
Last edited by pablo on Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Elena on Mon Dec 08, 2003 11:32 am

pablo wrote:The girl Monica is physically based on was a 28G when I met her and she had grown to a 28H.

Ooka wrote:Also to clarify bust sizes, the number value refers to the size of the female's chest sans breasts(they measure underneath for that) so the letter refers to the size of the rest.

Exactlly, her ribcage measurement was 28" around and the measurement around her bust was 36.5". That's a difference of 8.5" making the cup size a G cup. Although that doesn't mean the breasts themselves are huge but on a tiny frame like the girl in question (or Monica for that matter) they are big for her frame, thus they look big. Remember, monica is only 4 feet 11 inches and really skinny aside from her chest.

Considering the stats you gave us, Monica seems like a very "real" woman to me.

The calculation of Monica's bra size seems very correct to me for the stats we have.

My ribcage is 27.5", but around my bust I am 34.5", that makes for a difference of 7", which is 1.5" less than Monica, so if Monica was a 28H, that would make me a 28bigF, and while I never got the chance to get any bra that size, given that the closest to a good fitting bra is a 30E/F bra... hence... Monica's bra size is correct for her body measurements.

She still "looks" quite a lot bustier than I in most of the strips and tinier, even considering that we should not be all that different looking in the torso area, given that my ribcage is even a tiny smaller... but even if our body frame is alike, we still had to consider our heights and the torso-to-waist distance PLUS the role of the hips in balancing or not the "optical illusion" of a big chest. Considering that I am quite some inches taller than Monica, that torso-to-waist distance would be longer in me, making the boobs look smaller (as in occupying not as much space) in my torso, and if you add to that quite a few inches more in the hip area, the "bustiness" perception is modified as well.

I actually don't know what Monica's hips' measurement is, but comparing her proportions to mine I had came up with the notion that Monica had to be 5' tall (you say the "real" Monica is 4'11") and that she had have to have a 33" hip measurement. So... Pablo? did I guess right her measurements?

What would Monica's hips width be?
Elena
Junior Keenspotter

Postby pablo on Mon Dec 08, 2003 12:02 pm

Elena wrote:I actually don't know what Monica's hips' measurement is, but comparing her proportions to mine I had came up with the notion that Monica had to be 5' tall (you say the "real" Monica is 4'11") and that she had have to have a 33" hip measurement. So... Pablo? did I guess right her measurements?

The real "Monica" was just 5 feet tall. I don't know for sure but if I were to guess, with her rib cage at 28 her waist was about 26 or 24 and her hips were about 30 or 32. She didn't have any curves other than her breasts and her but was flat as a pancake. Her mother told her she let the door hit her one too many times. :wink:
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Great Giant Panda on Mon Dec 08, 2003 4:22 pm

Ooka wrote:I get so tired of HNGs going "Wow lookit the size of those, they must be 44Ds or something!". Fellas if you're gonna stare, at least learn about them.

44 DDs would probably make a girl that's Monica's size fall on her face. :lol:

By HNG, do you mean "Horny noobie guy"?
Last edited by The Great Giant Panda on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Great Giant Panda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby pablo on Mon Dec 08, 2003 6:13 pm

Ooka wrote:I get so tired of HNGs going "Wow lookit the size of those, they must be 44Ds or something!". Fellas if you're gonna stare, at least learn about them.

The point here is that the 44 refers to the rib cage measurement in inches, not the size of the breasts. It's the letter that designates the breast size (the closer to the letter Z the greater the contrast from rib cage to breast size). After the difference in bust to rib cage is calculated, the inch difference gives you the letter in the bra size. :wink:

Check it out here

Now get back on topic everyone! (me included) :D
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Animal on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:01 pm

pablo wrote:Now get back on topic everyone! (me included) :D

But this topic is so much fun!
Image I have a LiveJournal now. I'm not sure why.
Making people wonder what the hell is wrong with me since 1961
"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby pablo on Mon Dec 08, 2003 9:37 pm

I split this away from the Fan Art thread. As long as this doesn't degrade into bad sexual innuendo, I'll keep this thread open for honest breast and bra related questions. Please keep it clean everyone, seriously.
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Great Giant Panda on Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:52 am

pablo wrote:
The point here is that the 44 refers to the rib cage measurement in inches, not the size of the breasts. It's the letter that designates the breast size (the closer to the letter Z the greater the contrast from rib cage to breast size). After the difference in bust to rib cage is calculated, the inch difference gives you the letter in the bra size. :wink:

Now get back on topic everyone! (me included) :D

I thought this was the topic... :-?
The Great Giant Panda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ooka on Tue Dec 09, 2003 7:07 am

HNG is an irc/web derived acronym for "Horny Net Geek" so its not gender based.

My wife is about 5' 4". When she was pregnant with Alexandra she was on the brink of going past 28H. Now that Alex is 3 she's back down to a 30DD / 28F.

Over the last few years we found that buying cheap in bras was "a bad thing". We had tried a couple online places but it was Victoria's secret that actually had some really comfortable bras for her. She needs comfy not only because of her chest size but she has some chronic back problems. As with most things, these bras are a little more expensive than most, so we understand why Monica only has about three bras.
Zen and the Art of the Bunny
http://visionmeld.com
Ooka
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Guest on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:24 am

pablo wrote:
Elena wrote:I actually don't know what Monica's hips' measurement is, but comparing her proportions to mine I had came up with the notion that Monica had to be 5' tall (you say the "real" Monica is 4'11") and that she had have to have a 33" hip measurement. So... Pablo? did I guess right her measurements?

The real "Monica" was just 5 feet tall. I don't know for sure but if I were to guess, with her rib cage at 28 her waist was about 26 or 24 and her hips were about 30 or 32. She didn't have any curves other than her breasts and her but was flat as a pancake. Her mother told her she let the door hit her one too many times. :wink:

30-32" -hips make even more sense for the drawing. You actually seem really good at "grasping" people's proportions and putting them into a drawing!
I have one friend who was exactly like that (although a tiny flatter on top) up until her late twenties, she packed on weight afterwards and now she looks and is bigger, but when she was as old as Monica she looked very alike. Even her ethnic background would have been similar!

Postby pablo on Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:25 am

The Great Giant Panda wrote:I thought this was the topic...

The topic of the other thread was "Fan Art". :wink:
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby luchog on Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:32 am

a good 70 some percent of the women out there are wearing the wrong size bra

It's even worse than that, actually. A female friend posted an interesting article in her LJ a while back on the subject of bras. Not only are the vast majority of women wearing the wrong size bras, but even those with the right size are more often than not wearing the wrong shaped bra as well; which can be just as painful, if not more so, than the wrong size.

According to the article, the researchers spent quite some time talking to various manufacturers, and eventually came to the conclusion that bras are not designed or made for women. For the most part, they are designed and made for men, for male aesthetics and sensibilities (ie, for guys to look at), and not with a woman's comfort and functionality in mind. At best, even the supposedly more comfortable ones are made to fit a limited range of cookie-cutter sizes and shapes, with no real allowances for real-world bodies.

What is worse, is that this conclusion held up almost as well for "custom" bra makers as it did for the big manufacturers. Most often what passes for "custom" bras are nothing more than a limited range of band and cup sizes and styles which are mixed to (ostensibly, but not always) come closest to the customer's needs. Another interesting note is that the researchers uniformly rejected the underwire, claiming that it's sole purpose is to limit the amount of structure in the bra itself -- ie, make it more aesthetically pleasing for guys -- and is one of the worst components in use. Other conclusions were more predictable. straps were almost universally too narrow and improperly placed (again, style over function), bad seam placement, bad fabrics, etc.

And god help you if you fall outside the "standard" range of sizes. My life partner isn't very large-breasted, she has something of the opposite problem. Her breasts are "too small" for her ribcage, according to manufacturers. She has a fairly large ribcage, and most manufacturers seem to have a hard time admitting that anything below a D cup exists in that range; unless it's a "push-up" or padded bra (back to the "bras are made for men" thing again). Victoria's Secret is pretty much a lost cause; and she frequently buys bras that are too small in the chest in order to get cup sizes that fit. Even if she finds one in her size, the cup placement and shape is often wrong.

It almost makes me glad I don't have to cope with that sort of thing myself. Seems like, after all the complaining I've heard from my lovers and friends, women need to band together and just start lynching the designers until someone starts putting out better bras.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby luchog on Tue Dec 09, 2003 11:36 am

Oops, double post. :)
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AntiEntropy on Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:39 pm

My wife's breasts [I never thought I'd start a post with those words] are just a little too big for standard bras. I've actually stood with her in the bra section searching for anything close.

Her: "My breasts are huge!"

Me: "I'm so sorry honey."

Her: "Yeah, right."

As far as small breasts, how about sports bras? (I know nothing about this, it's just a thought.)

And here's another thought: since there are so many woman with the wrong bra out there, start a company to make comfortable bras that fit. Here's your tag line: "When you want to catch his eye, go to Victoria's Secret. For everything else, there's ComfortBra (c) (r) (tm)." Or how about, "Who's breasts are these, anyway? Use ComfortBra (c) (r) (tm)."
Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur: Why so can I, or so can any man, but will they come when you call for them?
AntiEntropy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Great Giant Panda on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:01 pm

What is Comic or Real Monica's approximate weight. I assume the comic avatar would range somewhere between 90-100 pounds.
The Great Giant Panda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby pablo on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:30 pm

The "real" Monica was about 112 to 115 lbs. I have Monica weighing somewhere between 95 to 100 lbs.
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Mravac Kid on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:35 pm

luchog wrote:
a good 70 some percent of the women out there are wearing the wrong size bra

It almost makes me glad I don't have to cope with that sort of thing myself. Seems like, after all the complaining I've heard from my lovers and friends, women need to band together and just start lynching the designers until someone starts putting out better bras.

I think the problem is the number of possible permutations, there would be too many diverse bras needed. It would be too expensive to manufacture.
It's a very similar point with suits, confection suits never fit. That problem is solved by going to the tailor. Perhaps that would be a solution for the bra problem as well?
Admittedly, it would be more expensive, but so are tailor-made suits.
Ride the Wild Wind - push the envelope, don't sit on the fence
Ride the Wild Wind - live life on the razor's edge
For reasons unknown, I have a LiveJournal - now featuring the Webcomic Pimping Series!
Mravac Kid
Keenspot Despot

Postby Animal on Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:03 pm

Mrs. Animal (34C) does a lot of custom sewing and tailoring (some months she makes more money than I make by pounding on the keyboard) and she's of the opinion that a custom bra would run around $200, give or take a little, were she asked to produce one.
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby PrettyPrincess on Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:11 pm

now the hard part is finding someone who can tailor bras...
PrettyPrincess
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Animal on Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:39 pm

Mrs. Animal could do it; I'm not sure how practical it'd be for you, unless you happen to live near Denver.
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

Postby luchog on Wed Dec 10, 2003 10:32 am

For everything else, there's ComfortBra (c) (r) (tm).

Actually, I believe there is a bra by this exact name, or one very similar. I friend of mine wears them. Not exclusively, but is rather fond of them. There are a few very small companies that make bras that are supposed to be more comfortable, but they're hard to find.

I think the problem is the number of possible permutations, there would be too many diverse bras needed.

This is really making me wish i could find that article (gonna try and track it down when I have time). According to the authors, it really isn't that hard to make a bra that would fit a wider range of sizes and shapes, and still be comfortable and functional. It just wouldn't be "sexy".

The first step would be to simply standardize sizes better. A D from one company may be a C in another, or E/DD in a third. A more standardized system of sizing would make it easier to find a bra that fits.

Second would be to ditch the underwire. Unless it fits perfectly, an underwire is probably the most uncomfortable part of the bra, and can actually cause nerve damage over time.

Along with that, other indicated changes would be better straps, wider for better support (I don't know how many time's i've heard women complaining about straps digging into their shoulders, even those who aren't very large); more adjustments; better fabrics, getting away from the rough laces and non-stretching sheers, and to a firmer, more elastic construction.

As previously mentioned, there have been small companies that have done this. But they are few and expensive. They can't manufacture on a large enough scale to keep their costs competitive with the big names; and the department stores don't carry them, so they have to rely on word-of-mouth and specialty-press advertising. They simply aren't "sexy" enough to get the notice and advertising.

That is probably the other big problem. Advertisers really push the "sexy" aspect hard, and women buy into it. They're far too often willing to put up with almost any discomfort to fit into a stereotyped image of attractiveness (this goes for just about every aspect of women's fashion, particularly bras and shoes). Women will almost literally torture themselves to fit things the Lastest Hot Style; regardless of the detriment to comfort, and even health.

I can understand wanting to look good, i've been known to put up with less than ideal situations in order to pull off a specific image; but let's face it, you're not really sexy if look like your in pain, and/or complaining about it the entire night.

It's a very similar point with suits, confection suits never fit. That problem is solved by going to the tailor. Perhaps that would be a solution for the bra problem as well?
Admittedly, it would be more expensive, but so are tailor-made suits.

With suits, however, there is a lot more leeway in fit. And most major manufacturers offer a much wider range of fit types (short, medium, long, XL, stout, etc) than are typically available for bras. And it's much less expensive to have simple tailoring done on a suit than it is to get the equivalent work done on a bra. Bras really can't be tailored for the most part (aside from minor work on the straps), and one is limited to "off the rack" fit, or the expense of custom, which often isn't significantly better.
luchog
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Great Giant Panda on Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:57 am

I contrived a method of bra making! Why don't companies use mold technologies to get the exact measurements and use goretex, or some other appropriate strong material.
The Great Giant Panda
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AntiEntropy on Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:42 pm

I will say it again: why not something like a sports bra? There would be no "shaping" involved (the uncomfortable part) just hold them in place so that don't flap around.

Heck, just tie something around yourself. Like a big tube top.

Heck, just don't wear them. (There are places in the world where this is the norm. Yes, they're usually hot. So wear a sweater.)

See how easily a man can fix a problem he knows nothing about? (I've got to experiment on my wife. "Honey, will you sit here while I...?")
Glendower: I can call spirits from the vasty deep.
Hotspur: Why so can I, or so can any man, but will they come when you call for them?
AntiEntropy
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Animal on Thu Dec 11, 2003 4:08 pm

When I was in college sometime back in the Paleolithic, I ran around with a girl for a while that wore a 36F. (I asked.) She wore those big school lunch-lady bras with about six hooks on the back. (I counted.) I can't remember if they had wires or not, but they were pretty dang stout.

She once told me that she liked some of the sexy lacy stuff, but she was more concerned with comfort, especially since she was pretty active physically - running and so on. I don't remember if they had sports bras then (early 80's.)

Personally, I figure you'd want to go with comfort, too. Men do it, for the most part - that's why plain old white FOTL's far, far outsell fancy-pantsie speedo breifs and other assorted custom codpieces.
Animal
Animal
Keenspot Despot

im curious

Postby Curious Guest on Sun Dec 14, 2003 8:01 am

There is a lot of talk about comparing the "real" Monica and the Monica in the strip; you said that she is based on your fianc
Curious Guest

Next

Return to Wapsi Square