Something like an update on the forum

Elves in their natural habitat... the message board!

Moderator: carsonfire

Something like an update on the forum

Postby Guest on Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:31 pm

[ON EDIT: Carson Fire, forgot to log in. D'oh!]

As predicted, transferring the old forum to the new phpBB forum is a Lot of Work. Kai has been killing himself to retain all of the member info, post counts, etc, even as I tell him that we'll be forgiven some missing data, under the circumstances.

He says we're getting very close, now. Many obstacles were placed in the way, like an unknown limit on the amount of something-or-other on the server. Too many scripting and server surprises tended to draw the process out.

Because of a convergence of this-and-that (like me losing my PHP site), we are merging our two forums. We'll eventually be all hacked up so our different "areas" will look appropriate. But merging the two will make the administration easier for both of us.

And since it's phpBB, and I'm an admin on these phpBB Keenspot forums, it might be possible for me to transfer some threads out of here onto the new phpBB forum. Depends on how hard it appears/ratio to the fact that there isn't much posting here. Unfortunately, I didn't get you guys pointed in this direction fast enough, and I guess most of you are posting on a third-party thing which, like MyIB should have taught us, has a database we won't be able to access when it's time to move.

Because of the limits of the new server database, we're also going to have to ask mods to "split" longer threads, in the future (this is easy to do in phpBB, don't panic). Apparently the biggest problem in transferring the old posts, and for the database to deal with ongoing forums, is that the big multi-page threads tend to choke everything. I don't expect this to to be a problem.

Anyway, keep your fingers crossed for the forum, keep your fingers crossed for the auctions, and, oh, just everything! :D

Thanks for hanging tough!

Postby carsonfire on Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:33 pm

:D Oh, drat! That was me, of course. Forgot to log in.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Re: Something like an update on the forum

Postby Wizard on Tue Dec 23, 2003 5:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:Unfortunately, I didn't get you guys pointed in this direction fast enough, and I guess most of you are posting on a third-party thing which, like MyIB should have taught us, has a database we won't be able to access when it's time to move.

I don't think you really need to worry about that. That board is even more random than usual.
Wizard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lazy-too on Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:45 pm

Geez, Cars, I wish you would STOP FUSSING over Ashex's board. Cripes. WE KNOW it's a temp forum. AND BESIDES !!! we can always cut and paste the contents over when or if necessary.
Lazy-too

Postby Kaichi on Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:02 am

Yeah...ALLLLLLLL this freaking work, and somebody had the bright idea to go execute my *$#&ing scripts, last night, WHILE I was working on them, so now I can't do ANYTHING. I knew I was asking for trouble, by having the forum in a state that I could actually access it and work with it. If we wanted people to post in there, we'd have made a post saying it's okay to post!! Right now, it is not okay!

IF I can manage to get the thing in a state where I can access it, again, I'm asking everyone to PLEASE DO NOT POST IN IT!!! Whoever decided to be "first one in" last night f-ed up an entire day's worth of PAINSTAKING work. I am NOT a happy dragon, tonight!

Just so you guys all know, we will NOT be using the forums at the old urls of http://www.kyokipress.com/cgi-bin/alfheim/ikonboard.cgi or http://www.kyokipress.com/cgi-bin/ikonb ... nboard.cgi, so please don't even go there. If you can't keep yourself from going there, and the forum actually comes up, please do NOTHING to execute those scripts. Do not make posts; do not read posts; do not edit posts; do not read or send private messages; do not make changes to your profile. I'm getting very sick of having to start over, from the beginning.

The next person who screws up my database is going to be on my crap list for the rest of their life. So please...whatever you do, stay out of the old forums, so I can finish this work and get the new forums up and running, before the century changes.

**feeling extremely irritable and grouchy, tonight**

:evil:
Kaichi Satake

Kaichi
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: In the backyard with my telescope, looking for the Mothership

Postby Lazy-too on Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:40 am

I don't like to say this but....

WHAT A FUCKING MORON !!!!
Lazy-too

Postby Athena7 on Wed Dec 24, 2003 1:04 pm

Kaichi wrote:
I am NOT a happy dragon, tonight!

Ah, poor Kai! :cry: According to what Carson the "guest" posted, you're working even harder than you need to, trying to salvage everything, even down to post counts. I, for one, will say that you don't need to bother with every little detail, especially if you are getting so unhappy and stressed about it. (Yes, I know that part of the reason you're so unhappy right now is the loss of a day of hard work, but I know you were getting stressed and overtired even before that.)

If you want to, you could e-mail me your new address, and you might just receive something sweet and yummy sometime soon! :D
The moment is near when, by a procedure of active paranoic thought, it will be possible to systematize confusion and contribute to the total discrediting of the world of reality.
Athena7
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby carsonfire on Wed Dec 24, 2003 3:04 pm

Kai's been putting himself through the wringer on this, and that's why I posted... to let you guys know that not only is he working really hard on it, he's probably working harder than he should have to. Even thought Kai would rather wait until it's all done and we can just announce that it's open, again, I didn't want anybody to think that he's just letting it go.

And I wasn't griping about the other forum, Lazy, I was basically saying what you're saying... if anything is brought over there, it'll have to be done by hand by members. Kai's got enough headaches.

And besides... I CAN FUSS WHENEVER THE HECK I WANT! WAH! so there. :P
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Re: Something like an update on the forum

Postby Athena7 on Wed Dec 24, 2003 7:49 pm

Anonymous wrote: Unfortunately, I didn't get you guys pointed in this direction fast enough, and I guess most of you are posting on a third-party thing which, like MyIB should have taught us, has a database we won't be able to access when it's time to move.

What "most of us?" I think that forum has ten members total. And there really isn't too much posting going on in there, either. It was faster at first, but has tapered off. We're all waiting for the "real" forums back, I think. But DON'T kill yourself, Kaichi!
The moment is near when, by a procedure of active paranoic thought, it will be possible to systematize confusion and contribute to the total discrediting of the world of reality.
Athena7
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Princess Loki on Wed Dec 24, 2003 8:27 pm

I figured Kai was working his butt off, since he was so quiet in this forum. I hope I'm not speaking for myself when I say that we really appreciate what Kai is doing.

If I could send Godiva chocolates through the e-mail I would...
Where she walks, doom follows,
Where she stands, evil gathers.
Princess Loki
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kaichi on Wed Dec 24, 2003 10:12 pm

heh...I'm not going to kill myself. I just get obsessed with these things, and I can't let them go until I've fixed them. But anyone who wants to send me chocolate, feel free to do so. hehe It's nice to know I'm appreciated! (^-^)

Some of the little things that seem unimportant actually ARE important to the converter script. If something is amiss, the converter won't work, properly. I had a problem, the other day, where three member names had been deleted when the old CGI program got messed up. The loss of those member names caused the loss of a great number of posts, which I didn't catch until several hours later. I managed to rebuild the names and rescue those posts, so the script would work, but now, three people (or two, if two of these names belong to the same person, which I suspect!) will have to contact me, privately, for their new passwords, so they can post in the new forums, when I have them up. I didn't have email addresses to input for them in the rebuild, so they can't use the "forgot password" function to get the password. Have to get it through me.

The three are: Gardener Druid, Web Druid, and Wizard. There was another odd problem with member names, where Ashex was Ashex in the ShadowFall forum, but ashex (all lowercase) in the Elf Life forum. This means he has both those user names in the new forum, because the database is case sensitive. Since ashex without capitalization has far more posts, I suggest he use that one, exclusively, and let the other one go. That will keep him from getting two different sets of post counts for what is essentially the same member name. The others who were members of both forums had no differences in the spellings/capitalization of their names, and will keep whatever password they had in the EL forum.

Sigh...and in my round about way of getting to the point, what I'm trying to say is that particular problem seems to have come about because one tiny piece of data in the list was corrupted. This is why I can't let any little thing go, without first making sure it isn't tied into something that is much more important.

I'm transferring over everything that I can transfer over, but some things, like member signatures, profile info, avatars, and such may have to be re-done, later. And in the rpg forums, none of the "where I went" links are going to work, so I'll have to ask everyone to go through and find and fix their own links, since each of us knows best where the story goes next, in our own posts. There's no way I will have time to do that, without help, and it's much more efficient to just ask everyone to fix their own links.

The new forums should be available in the next three or four days, depending on how much time I get to devote to them, over the holidays. I'm very close to finishing a functional board, but it won't have the unique member names the old one had, nor will it have the custom colors and such that the old ones had, until I can make mods to the script, later. I wanted to be sure the new forums transferred properly and would work, before I even thought about installing mods for customization.

Anyway, Cars or I will announce the new forum URL in here and on our sites, as soon as we're ready to open the doors. I can't wait to get to that point. It's been a very difficult process, and I'll be glad to have the worst part behind me!

Happy holidays to everyone, btw!

(^-^)
Kaichi Satake

Kaichi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Peterman on Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:19 am

Princess Loki wrote:I hope I'm not speaking for myself when I say that we really appreciate what Kai is doing.

Hear, hear! I hope you at least take some time off today of all days, Kaichi.

And Merry Christmas, all of you who've still got the celebrations ahead of you! :)
Peterman
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kaichi on Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:54 pm

Yep, taking the holidays off! No forum work for me, today! I feel so... so... FREE! hahahahahahahahaha!!!

*men in white coats arrive and carry away the giggling, code-overdosed Kaichi to a nice, soft, padded room of his own. Maybe with a plushie or two, to squeeze, if he gets lonely*

It's back to work, tomorrow, though. Oh well. I have chocolate to help me get through it.

(^-^)
Kaichi Satake

Kaichi
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Wizard on Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:51 pm

You should get yourself a code monkey. You know, a million monkeys at a million typewriters could produce every book in the London Library? (or whatever library it was. I forget now) Well, apparently one monkey typing at a computer can quickly hash out virtually any program you tell it to. Either that or try sleep coding. There's a rumour of a miracle drink known as "Jolt Cola" which induces an state of wake in the body long after the mind has shut down. I have personally used this mysterious brew only once. I do not recal much of that night nor the following day, yet I managed to get a 96 on the assignment that I had been working on with no ill effects. *So, in closing, it should be plainly obvious how Spiderman can defeat both Superman and Batman, provided he goes against Batman first. Superman first would still be possible, but that's a lesson for next time.

*randomness added for humour only. Not to be taken for canon. Not to be taken in or out of context. Not to be taken orally. Supository only.
Wizard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Guest on Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:05 am

Athena7 wrote:If you want to, you could e-mail me your new address, and you might just receive something sweet and yummy sometime soon! :D

I like how this sounds.. *ahem* :)

Postby carsonfire on Wed Feb 04, 2004 7:55 am

Everything sweet and yummy has been transferred to the new forums. Image
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Return to Elf Life