It's raining

Elves in their natural habitat... the message board!

Moderator: carsonfire

It's raining

Postby carsonfire on Fri Dec 12, 2003 2:50 pm

I haven't posted as many reports on my move as I expected. But things are still looking up. I spent a portion of the day the other day applying for some temporary work coming up. It's only data processing, but it pays more than I was making as an overworked supervisor-type person at my old company (ten years and complaints from my boss that I was making too much money, even though if I told you how much it was most of you would probably giggle)

I'm also trying to find time in between everything to work up more non-internet, non-elf art, so that I can drum up local commissions and free-lance work. In fact, I'll be setting up some more stuff on my carsonfire.com site, as soon as my host allows me to access it again.

I'm actually in a rented house, and not an apartment. It was a fantastic situation arranged by my longtime friend Kaichi... three bedrooms (one each... don't worry, it's not that kind of relationship :wink:) and one bedroom becomes our office, where we can set up the drafting table, bookshelves, and computer.

Things are going to be very tight at first, but as long as we work hard and make money, we'll finally be surviving in an environment that isn't quit as challenging as living on, oh, the surface of the sun. I mean, this is the first time in years, literally, that I've been able to sleep on an actual mattress... my mattress... in storage for years, and finally in my own room, where I can sleep on it. I really do feel like some kind of weird creature being led out into the sunlight, after years and years of living in some pit of isolation.

My chin is shaved, and my long ponytail has been clipped off (I think I'll sell it on ebay! Own Carson Fire's ponytail!)

So anyway, it's raining. Cars are driving by, reminding me that I am finally in town, again. Across the street are a gas station and some convenience stores. You'd think that would be a bad place to live, but it's actually kind of comforting. It's like having a mass of security lighting directly outside, 24/7.

Anyway, I'm taking a break from inking the next Elf Life page at this moment, trying not to feel too sleepy and comfortable because it's Friday afternoon and the rain keeps coming.

What is it that some people say about fire... that it purifies? It does nothing of the sort. Fire only destorys. Water purifies. It cleanses the world. I guess that's what I'm feeling like right now. My world has been cleansed, to a great degree. I feel like I'm finally getting the second chance that I've been looking for.

Hmmm...

*looks for a guitar, teaches himself the rainy day blues*
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

ponytail bidding!

Postby Serall on Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:00 pm

Cars, don't bother with Ebay. You're not well enough known and besides you have regulars who'll pay a fortune for it. I'll start the bidding at...........50 cents! Top that, some other person!
Serall

Postby carsonfire on Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:54 pm

What? Me not well known? *adjusts identity-concealing sunglasses*

OK, we've got 50 cents. Who'll say a dollar? :D
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby Lazy-too on Fri Dec 12, 2003 5:22 pm

I've got my own pony-tail thank you... and beard... I really should shave, it's been 3 months since I used a razor.....

CURSE THE WOMEN WHO CHOSE THE HAIRY FACED MEN TO BREED WITH !!!!!
Lazy-too

Postby Wizard on Fri Dec 12, 2003 7:30 pm

I'll pay a dollar, if shipping is included.
Water can actually be more destructive than fire. At least at the end of a forest fire, your left with nitrogen rich ash, good for regrowth. A flash-flood has the tendency of stripping everything good away and leaving only the heavy rocks and clay.
Where was I?
Oh yeah, what's the shipping costs on a lock of hair these days?
You know, I never thought about it before, but is there a Mrs. Fire, or a future Mrs. Fire? That's an honest question. No money making scheme at the humiliation of others here. :twisted:
Wizard
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fat Controller on Fri Dec 12, 2003 8:47 pm

Wizard wrote:I'll pay a dollar, if shipping is included.
Water can actually be more destructive than fire.

There's an entire township of people just down the road from me who'd agree with you on that one. :)
Fat Controller
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Guest on Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:03 pm

It's raining?! I'm soo jealous. The clouds loom above us and just pass by, rotten clouds. Just as well. After the really bad fires here, we're sure to have a mudslide.

I'm staying out of the hair bidding. I have enough of my own, thank you.

Postby Lazy-too on Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:35 pm

It's too cold here to rain. Good thing it doesn't either. I don't want everywhere around to be a skating rink.
Snow... I don't like it either. THe Farmers cna have it. Keep it out of the city.
Lazy-too

Postby reinder on Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:29 am

Is the ponytail of transplant quality? I could use some more hair on the top of my head - it's thinning out at an alarming rate.
reinder
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby carsonfire on Sat Dec 13, 2003 5:00 am

Wizard wrote:Water can actually be more destructive than fire. At least at the end of a forest fire, your left with nitrogen rich ash, good for regrowth. A flash-flood has the tendency of stripping everything good away and leaving only the heavy rocks and clay.

Hey, don't step on my melancholia, eh? :D

Don't I know it, anyway... the flood we had in the desert caused more damage than I originally estimated. Oddly, though, there was not much more than one box of books (Kai's, unfortunately) that had actual water damage -- mold growing, etc -- most of the damage was the result of the mud that the water created and swept through everything. It even got into a box containing (groan) Kai's expensive stereo. The innards full of mud.

But the rain I was describing yesterday was a long, soft, pelting rain, with no harsh winds. No flooding, just a lot of wet concrete and wet lawns. That's a very comforting rain to experience after the nightmare storms in the desert.

So, OK, the ponytail now comes with a bottle of Super Glue for transplant purposes. What do we hear bid now? :wink:
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby Kaichi on Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:06 am

carsonfire wrote:Don't I know it, anyway... the flood we had in the desert caused more damage than I originally estimated. Oddly, though, there was not much more than one box of books (Kai's, unfortunately) that had actual water damage -- mold growing, etc -- most of the damage was the result of the mud that the water created and swept through everything. It even got into a box containing (groan) Kai's expensive stereo. The innards full of mud.

Heh...Well, I wanted a new stereo, anyway. (O.o) Actually, I want a karaoke machine, so I can annoy you, endlessly, with my versions of 50s and 60s pop songs. mwahaha! And the books...well, books are replaceable. Just not the 100-year-old first edition ones. (-.-);; But even with those, it's just a loss of things. We should not be attached to material things, in the first place, ne?

So, OK, the ponytail now comes with a bottle of Super Glue for transplant purposes. What do we hear bid now? :wink:

Heh heh...I'd bid, but I just recently had my own ponytail snippage, so I don't really need it. Besides, it's brown. Wouldn't match my black hair, anyway. (~,^)
Kaichi Satake

Kaichi
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: In the backyard with my telescope, looking for the Mothership

Postby Princess_Loki on Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:52 am

Grr. Apparently I wasn't logged in. So I was the Guest remarking on the not bidding for hair.

I'm still jealous about the rain.
The world?! I call dibs!
Princess_Loki
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Spamtarro! on Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:19 pm

Well, if Carson's head carpeting is up for grabs, I'll place a bid that none can top...one dollar and eighty three and a half cents! I dare any lesser fool to top that!
Spamtarro!

Postby Serall on Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:25 pm

I'll dare: two bucks flat, meat boy or whatever you are.
Serall

Postby Spamtarro! on Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:32 pm

Peshaw! I can easily outbid you Serall. Just look at this...AAAAAA! ME MONEY GOAT BE OUT OF MONEY!!! BLAST YOU SERALL, YOU CANTAKEROUS, MALIGNANT, UPSTARTING WHELP OF A BOMBADILL! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Spamtarro!

Postby Serall on Sat Dec 13, 2003 2:39 pm

????? :-? Money Goat? And what the heck's a Bombadill?
Serall

Postby carsonfire on Sat Dec 13, 2003 4:48 pm

Spamtarro! must mean Tom Bombadil (Fellowship of the Rings).

And the Legend of the Money Goat... well, that's for another day. :o
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby Evania on Sat Dec 13, 2003 8:16 pm

The sprites have no hair, and after much debate the local hive has asked me to tell you that they'll bid two pebbles, a sweet potato, and the next shiny thing that they find. I'm not quite sure what they'll do with the hair if they get it; I think they just want to keep it around so that they can say they have hair...

On a serious note, I'm an advocate of giving pre-owned hair to bald kids: http://www.locksoflove.com
Evania
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Peterman on Sun Dec 14, 2003 3:03 pm

This almost feels like visiting an old house you used to live in, only it's been completely redecorated.

Just dropping by to say hello. I'm glad things are starting to look a little brighter for you, Carson. :D

(Ponytail? The last picture I saw of you must've been pretty old. :wink: )
Peterman
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Elf Life