Technical problem thread

Elves in their natural habitat... the message board!

Moderator: carsonfire

Technical problem thread

Postby carsonfire on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:46 pm

A guest on the tagboard said that the Elf Life homepage takes twenty minutes to load and causes errors. If anybody sees any problems, please report 'em here!

Right now, the home page has: one large comic graphic (80-100k), mandatory; one Keenspot newsbox graphic (20-60k), mandatory; appx. 16 misc. graphics (7k or less each); one tagboard hosted on another server in an iframe*; and an extremely basic set of JavaScript variables which control the "blowup" and "shush" buttons. It's about as minimalist as the Elf Life homepage has ever been, so I'm at a loss as to what could be causing twenty minute downloads and errors.

* Network problems prevent me from pruning it for December, until further notice from the network. Fixing this should shave some loading time off.
Cars, as always
carsonfire
Keenspot Mac Daddy

Postby pablo on Tue Dec 09, 2003 1:53 pm

It loaded fine for me and I have dial-up. The Keenspot site was doing wonky things earlier and not showing up, maybe that had something to do with it?
pablo
Keenspot Despot

Postby Guest on Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:05 pm

The tags boards don't show anything after nov 14 on the EL page and the temp forum tag board page.

Postby Evania on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:20 pm

The page took 17 seconds to load fully over my LAN/DSL connection. And the comic was visible much sooner than that. Tag board also loaded fully, and no errors for me (using Opera).

Must have been a temporary hitch in some server along the line... or maybe a case of wild exaggeration? Or both?
Evania
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Wizard on Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:46 pm

20 minute load times are (almost)impossible. Web browsers have a timeout, usually set around 1 to 3 minutes. Unless the user was messing with settings they shouldn't have been, in which case I don't think it's time to consider revamping the main page, yet. :roll:

Anywho, tagboard has the tendency to conk out on me from time to time. Waiting 10 minutes and refreshing usually solves the problem. By any chance is it being hosted from a dynamic IP server?
Wizard
Keenspotter Supreme

Return to Elf Life