Save the romance!

Elves in their natural habitat... the message board!

Moderator: carsonfire

Postby TGIF on Mon Apr 15, 2002 11:20 pm

Is it just me, or is anyone else upset at the prospect of Baughb marrying an 'empty name'?

I'm just a newbie, so maybe you all know something that I don't. (Actually - if you don't know something that I don't, I'd start worrying...)

I discovered Elf Life less than a week ago, and while I've read all of the archive (in one sitting!), I haven't received the comic book yet (but I've ordered it!), so this rant may seem out of place if the book reveals more of the future.

While there is great character development and a marvelous story arc being revealed bit by bit (it's the first time I've been weepy over a story in years - and not just once but in several places), the romance between Baughb and Filis has been pulling on my heart strings ever since I found Elf Life, and I fear my heart will break if he goes through with marrying "the egg".

Do others feel the same? Maybe if we leave some bribes in the tip jar Carson will relent? Then again, if bribery doesn't work, isn
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fat Controller on Tue Apr 16, 2002 11:19 am

Carson's a hard act to follow - mainly because he doesn't have plot twists. He has plot convulsions. Despite that he has a definite itinerary and destination in mind.

Me, I feel they still love each other, but Baughb's plans are much longer range. It's also possible he's <i>still</i> trying to prevent that future he saw.

And as for that "near-miss" of Natully on Monday... oooh, Carson, you <i>tease!</i> :smile:

Let's recap... we have a faery with accompanying baby dragon, Ar-Roogah and an incompetent "wizard", a bride who's still an unknown quantity and goblins lurking offstage. This wedding should be fairly interesting no matter what the result.

Besides, they're still a little raw and tender at the moment, but they'll heal. Eventually.
Fat Controller, global village idiot
Resident of the Brownmeadows Home for the Terminally Bemused
"What's on my mind? Earwigs. And I think they're meeting in the middle. Urgh." (Hellpope Huey)
Fat Controller
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TGIF on Tue Apr 16, 2002 1:17 pm

On 2002-04-16 12:19, Fat Controller wrote:
Besides, they're still a little raw and tender at the moment, but they'll heal. Eventually.

Yes, but will they heal in time to recognize what they mean to each other before the wedding? Or, after I pick up the pieces of my broken heart, will I have to watch them both suffer through years of "what might have been"?
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kytha on Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:12 am

Hmm? Didn't you see the name in the last two speech balloons on the comic page for April 15?

Quote:

"Oh Natulee! You're so lucky!"
"I wish I was marrying Baughb the elf!"

So now the menace has a label, ne?
"if life is a dream, make that dream come true."
Kytha
Junior Keenspotter

Postby TGIF on Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:28 am

On 2002-04-17 03:14, cosleia wrote:
Do you suppose that divorces aren't allowed in Alfheim?

I'm not patient enough to wait for a divorce - anyway, I would be long dead of heartbreak before it would take place.

Let's hope that the goblins get Natully before the wedding!
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TGIF on Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:01 am

On 2002-04-17 08:01, cosleia wrote:
How mean! We still don't know Natulee's side of the story...

It's enough for me that I know Filis' side of the story :wink:
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Lurker Below on Thu Apr 18, 2002 6:12 pm

I have to agree with TGIF. The characters in Elf Life are so well developed, I relate to them and feel about them as if they were real people.

As badly as I feel about the end of the romance between Baughb and Filis (and I feel awful about it), I am even more concerned about the effect that this will have on the rest of their lives. (Of course I worry about this because I expect them to react like "real" people.)

Part of this is because what is happening between Baughb and Filis mirrors my early adult life to a frightening degree.

Shortly after high school, I was engaged to be married. We were madly in love with each other, and had been so for two years.

As we started to plan for our life together, I made it clear that I expected her to stay home and raise our children. She, on the other hand, made it clear that this was not acceptable to her. She was going to continue to work and we would keep our children in day care.

We were both so bullheaded over this difference that we broke off our engagement.

I ended up getting married "on the rebound" to another girl a few months later. Just about the only thing she had going for her was that she was happy at the prospect of being a stay at home mother.

Because there was so little foundation to our relationship, our marriage didn't work out and we were divorced after less than four months of marriage.

As for my former fianc
Last edited by The Lurker Below on Tue Aug 20, 2002 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Lurker Below
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Fat Controller on Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:19 am

As I've mentioned before, I have a few ideas about Natully's potential exit. For instance, Ragnarok could be involved. (While Baughb is otherwise engaged, of course.) I suspect the bastard would relish the idea of Baughb coming home to a corpse.

Or a ransom note. Or a burnt-out shell (hey, the poor girl deserves a good death scene.)

I suspect Natully may be more important to the story than we know (yet.) If she and Baughb have children, then the matter of the end of the world increases in significance for Baughb: his children's lives are at stake!

Additionally, she's the addition of a (relatively) ordinary person to a decidedly eccentric group: A tomboy, a future elven ruler, a fairy without portfolio, and an anti-hero. She'll make a nice contrast.

Now, I'll admit calling Filis a tomboy probably isn't all that accurate, but Carson notes that Filis is considered "a little strange" by the rest of her family. And look at her; she's still waving swords about just like when she was a little girl. But now things are beginning to change - and that probably means she'll be doing some serious maturing sometime soon.

Maybe she'll be struck by the same ridiculous image as me: Of her with sword in one hand and the handle of a pram in the other.

I mean, look what's happened: Both Filis and Baughb have gained their dreams - but they aren't happy about the price paid.

Baughb himself is turning out to be a more devious, manipulative individual than he seems. He's guided Airek into researching faery gates. He's cultivating Filis not so much as a fellow general, but as his <i>successor.</i> And I suspect he's only given particular highlights to Glynhial to get her on side. He seems willing to make any sacrifice to achieve the goal of saving elfdom in general and Filis in particular... not that this means he has to <i>like</i> it!

However, the daft sod's placed himself in the middle of what will probably start out as a three-way tug of war between Natully, Glee and Filis. Now <i>that</i> will be interesting viewing...

And also, so far Glee is the only one apart from Baughb who knows of coming events. If she let something slip to the right person, that too would have most interesting consequences.

If Natully bears Baughb any children, then the Baughb-Filis love affair becomes tragic.

If Natully is killed for any reason (Ragnarok, birth complications) then Filis may have another chance, but again fate renders it bitter. (And if divorce exists in Alfheim, 'twould be positively poisonous for Filis, albeit nonlethal for Natully!)

But of course, we still have the wedding ceremony yet to begin, let alone finish, and I've babbled merrily about what could happen elsethread. So with that I will take in my slack and wait for future developments.
"What's on my mind? Earwigs. And I think they're meeting in the middle. Urgh." (Hellpope Huey)
Fat Controller
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Cyanna_1 on Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:35 am

OR.....Baughb may have a little problem with Filis' happy friendship with everyone's favorite barbarian. After all...it was Ar'rogah who said from the beginning that she would make a fine warrior. :wink:
Cyanna_1
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TGIF on Fri Apr 19, 2002 5:02 am

On 2002-04-18 19:12, The Lurker Below wrote:
My greatest fear, especially seeing Baughb turn around and immediately get engaged to Natulee after Filis said no, is that not only is he messing up his life, but - especially given her past feelings about marriage - he is likely to mess Filis up for life too.

Talk about messing Filis up for life - I can't believe that she's hugging Ar'roogah! Either she's on the rebound (as warned about by The Lurker Below) or she is doing it intentionally to get even with Baughb.

At the rate of three strips a week, I need a faerie gate to jump ahead to find out what's in store for us before the frustration kills me. :smile:

TGIF
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Lurker Below on Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:53 am

On 2002-04-17 03:14, cosleia wrote:
Do you suppose that divorces aren't allowed in Alfheim?

Ah, well. Baughb can always take Filis as a mistress. That way, he can have his cake and eat it too!

On 2002-04-17 05:28, TGIF wrote:

I'm not patient enough to wait for a divorce - anyway, I would be long dead of heartbreak before it would take place.

Let's hope that the goblins get Natully before the wedding!

It seems to me that Alfheim wouldn't have divorces, just as they appear to not have contraception (which makes it real hard to have a mistress). So if Baughb marries Natully, it may take her death for Baughb and Filis to get back together.

I also suspect that Baughb's experience of having lived in a "hen house" :smile: full of "disgraced elfin maidens" in his youth is part of what keeps him on the straight and narrow. He is all too aware of the consequences, both physical (pregnancy) and social (being outcast) of extramarital relationships.

I too vote to feed Natully to the goblins!
-------^o-o^-------
The Lurker Below
The Lurker Below
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Hillel on Fri Apr 19, 2002 12:27 pm

On 2002-04-19 06:02, TGIF wrote:
Talk about messing Filis up for life - I can't believe that she's hugging Ar'roogah! Either she's on the rebound (as warned about by The Lurker Below) or she is doing it intentionally to get even with Baughb.

Oh please, she is just hugging a friend she hasn't seen in a long time. Ar'roogah did turn out to be honorable in the end last time. He helped her on her first "military" mission when you think about it. Besides, she did kick his @ss.
"Don't ask questions on a fairy tale."
-- Great-Grandmother
Hillel
Junior Keenspotter

Postby TGIF on Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:10 pm

On 2002-04-19 13:27, Hillel wrote:
Oh please, she is just hugging a friend she hasn't seen in a long time.

I don't know about you, but that doesn't look like "just a friendly hug" to me. Filis looks like she is in ecstasy - either real or staged to annoy Baughb.

TGIF
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tachikawa Ogata on Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:35 pm

It looks to me that she is just happy to see her friend and surprised to see him as well. It probably is the first pleasant surprise she has had in days if not weeks. First she gets jerked around by Baughb, Glee and Aeirk go off missing for awhile with no idea where they went, Baughb is getting married, and suddenly there might be an annoying wizard on the grounds. She, with Baughb who she can't be the most comfortable around at this point, go to check it out to find that it isn't an annoying wizard but a friend who has nothing to do with any of the problems or trouble she is experiencing. I'd be estatic if I was her as well.
"Do Not Lead Me Into Temptation, I can find the way myself."
Tachikawa Ogata
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fat Controller on Fri Apr 19, 2002 10:33 pm

Well, Baughb's certainly suffered a setback, and Filis had better explain <i>fast</i> before he bites her head off.

Mind you, having that fake wizard where you can see him is probably a good idea, and Ar-Roogah's likely to make sure he behaves in case Filis holds <i>him</i> responsible.

And remember who else is at the inn? :wink:
Fat Controller
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Peterman on Fri Apr 19, 2002 11:25 pm

Oh, come on... I was gonna make a <i>joke</i> about Filis and Ar'roogah falling in love, and you people are already seriously discussing it! Jeez... :razz:
Peterman
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TGIF on Sat Apr 20, 2002 6:44 pm

On 2002-04-19 23:33, Fat Controller wrote:
And remember who else is at the inn?

I must have missed something - who else is staying at the inn?

TGIF
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TGIF on Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:08 pm

It just occurred to me a possible meaning of "eldest daughter of one of the most important elf families" - this could be Filis!!!

After all, even though she doesn't know it, Filis is the sister of great grandfather (a.k.a. Oggie)

We can always hope.

TGIF
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Fat Controller on Sat Apr 20, 2002 10:46 pm

I must have missed something - who else is staying at the inn?

Leukothea - remember her? Ex-mermaid, ex-cannibal, would-be faerie eater, thinks her saviour Airek got her preggers?

It just occurred to me a possible meaning of "eldest daughter of one of the most important elf families" - this could be Filis!!!

Sadly, Carson's pretty much dashed those hopes of yours (and mine.) Filis was adopted, after her little faery gate ride, and adopted into a relatively minor branch of the family. Great-Grandfather didn't want competition, or something like that, so he made sure <i>nothing</i> made her suspect she was anything but an ordinary elf maid. (Notice how he lied about her mother?)

But, of course, how did he know/guess who she was? Maybe it was written in the Book of Baughb... which you'll notice is treated much like a sacred relic. Filis won't be reading it any time soon.

Oh, there're ways for them to to marry, but for that to happen, they'd have to suffer horribly first.
Fat Controller
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby TGIF on Sun Apr 21, 2002 2:36 am

On 2002-04-20 23:46, Fat Controller wrote:
But, of course, how did he know/guess who she was?

It seems pretty simple. First, how many elf babies have been lost into faerie gates? Second, she's his sister. He probably recognized her - he may even have a baby painting with her in it as Baughb does.

Oh, there're ways for them to marry, but for that to happen, they'd have to suffer horribly first.

I'd rather see Natulee do the suffering and disappear - Baughb has had enough heartache and pain from lost loves. And no matter how high and elevated his motivations, it must be very painful for him to yet again face the prospect of losing one he loves.

TGIF
TGIF
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Lurker Below on Mon Apr 22, 2002 7:33 am

Carson's a hard act to follow - mainly because he doesn't have plot twists. He has plot convulsions.

Hear the prophet speak!

So now we find out that Ah'roogah and Baughb (apparently) know each other from the past, thus short-circuiting his initial response to Filis' inviting him to stay.

With any luck, maybe Ah'roogah will patch thing up between Baughb and Filis while the goblins do in Natulee :smile:.

-------^o-o^-------
The Lurker Below
The Lurker Below
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Lurker Below on Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:52 pm

Carson's a hard act to follow - mainly because he doesn't have plot twists. He has plot convulsions.

ARGH!!!

You didn't warn me that Carson could throw nested plot convulsions.

No wonder the forum server has been so ill these last few days! :wink:

--------^o-o^--------
The Lurker Below

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Lurker Below on 2002-05-01 00:56 ]</font>
The Lurker Below
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CjRayn on Thu May 02, 2002 6:23 pm

You people didn't know that Ar'roogah knew Baughb until just recently? He said he knew an elf named Bobberick a long time ago, and we have heard Baughb be reffered to as Baughberrick in the past.
CjRayn
Keenspotter Supreme

Next

Return to Elf Life