A question of identity -- would you date "Claire"?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Would you date "Claire"?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:50 am

1. No, I just wouldn
9%
2. No, because I wouldn't want to go out with any cast member.
9%
3. No, because there is at least one cast member I wouldn't go out with and Claire might be him or her.
2%
4. No, because not knowing who Claire was would ruin the evening for me.
13%
5. Yes, because there is at least one cast member I would like to go out with so much that I would take even a small chance of going out with him or her, even though it would probably be someone else.
7%
6. Yes, because I would enjoy going out with at least one cast member and wouldn't mind any of them.
16%
7. Yes
18%
0. Other
27%

Total votes : 45

A question of identity -- would you date "Claire"?

Postby Haylo on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:50 am

Suppose that
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:54 am

Other than the fact I'm heterosexual? Knowing that I would go with a fake person would disturb me.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tarvok on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:59 am

No, 'cause she's Tedd's. :p
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haylo on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:04 am

Tarvok wrote:No, 'cause she's Tedd's. :p
Or she might be Grace's, or someone else altogether...
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kalga on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:22 am

Nocturn wrote: Knowing that I would go with a fake person would disturb me.

For once, I agree.

Call me if she becomes real.
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

"Claire"

Postby Mewtarthio on Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:45 pm

No more that I'd go out on a date with someone wearing a ski mask and trenchcoat. I think knowing the identities of others is important. For one thing, it seems a bit unfair that "Claire" gets to know who I am while I'd never recognize her if I saw her outside the date. It's the whole "Internet Anonymity" problem: People are different when they know nobody knows who they are. For another, it implies a lack of trust, and at the very least prevents me from knowing anything about "Claire" (would you go out with someone who made you refer to them with a code name and never answered personal questions?).
Mewtarthio
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Beale on Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:19 pm

Firstly, whoever Claire is right now, they've decided that they want to go out with you. All of the EGS cast who Claire could be are, at the very least, pretty good and pleasant people, and if nothing else, you'll probably just have a quiet conversation over dinner.

Secondly, in EGS at least, identity is more than just your sack of meat. (IRL it's just the dynamic state of neurons, but that's a different issue entirely.) This person has decided that they want a date with you without any preconceptions about their identity or personality (other than fashion sense, of course). Seems fair enough to me - we should all be so lucky to get such a chance. 'course, if you spend the entire time trying to guess the identity, you've just wasted the time. :P

Of course, this rather relies on you throwing out most of the preconceptions you make upon seeing Claire as being attached to the shape, not the person.

Does any of this make sense? It's pretty late for me. :P
Campaign for smaller sigs!
Beale
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:09 pm

Eh, why not? In a way it's just kinda like a blind date. Sure, you're left of in the dark a little longer, but there is no reason why that can stop you from having a good time. It might actually make it more interesting because you can have the fun of trying to figure out who it is by trying to learn a bit about them during the date. If you are not comfortable with kissing somebody you don't know, well, nothing says you have to if they don't. Besides, dates don't always have to be serious romance. You could just go out and have some fun with "Claire".
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tricia on Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:21 pm

*shrug* There's only one member of the cast I'd actually enjoy spending time with, and there's no way they'd masquerade as Claire...so...*shrug*.

And even ignoring that, I wouldn't go on a date with Claire in the first place, as I am heterosexual.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Re: A question of identity -- would you date "Claire&am

Postby Proginoskes on Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:22 pm

Haylo wrote:{I love the way EGS lets you think about abstract "identity" questions as personal and concrete situations}
I love the way the question is "Would you date 'Claire'?" while none of the options use the word "date"; simply "go out with". Contrary to the general opinion, I would "go out" with "Claire", but only in the same capacity as Sarah "went out" with Elliot to watch The Attack of the Frozen Waffle: only in friendship, with no romantic involvement at all.

Throw romance into the mix, and the answer becomes a resounding "NO". Aside from the issue of identity, I am not romantically interested in any EGS character.
((I just noticed that Chaos Priest ninjaed me on the no-romance idea. I am not observant. :oops: EDIT: BUT! is there such a thing as not-serious romance? Romance is romance, in my eyes.))
Call me Prodiraskes.
Is there any way to have inline fixed-width text in BBCode?
Favourite EGS:NP Headline: Uryuomoco Bill: Illegal to Have Non-Translated Signs?
Proginoskes
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Knight of the new moon on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:07 pm

So the question posed here is, if I had the chance to go on a date, say dinner and a movie, with someone in the form of Claire, but not knowing who that someone might be, would I do it?

Most probably not, because I don't tend to go out with people I just met. If this had been a point where i had known Claire for awhile, then something probably would have slipped about the true identity of the person behind the clone form. Depending on who that person behind the form is, then I may or may not go out with them.

Official Rhoda fanboy.

Even though I know, I don't know. - Spike "Cowboy Bebop"

SCREW MORALITY! - Susan's curiosity

They say good men are hard to find. The same is true of women, men are just more willing to settle. -Me
Knight of the new moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DarkShive on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:14 pm

Next Grace's birthday: everyone dresses the same and are zapped with the Claire clone form :wink:
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Tricia on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:18 pm

DarkShive wrote:Next Grace's birthday: everyone dresses the same and are zapped with the Claire clone form :wink:
Coming to a website near you in 2074!
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Vene on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:01 pm

Tricia wrote:
DarkShive wrote:Next Grace's birthday: everyone dresses the same and are zapped with the Claire clone form :wink:

You wish, considering one day took a year it's more likely to be 2374.
A Y is just a defective X.--DStaal

Of course, humans have a habit of expanding the Evil bin when encountering something new--Raventooth
Vene
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Antoine Bruce on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:03 pm

Now I want to see an all-Claire group photo and I don't even know why.
Antoine Bruce
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nasrudith on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Vene wrote:
Tricia wrote:

But the upside is then that means
a. Dan will never lose intrest in the comic.
b. Immorality will be a fact of life.

So its all good, we could wait for it. :D
Currently Nass for Sister II.
Vote Dan Shive for president of the united states! Who cares that he is too young to run!
XP: 485
Inventory: Newbie Kit with, TF Gun Kamikaze Add-On. 5 Sharpened Brownies
Favorite EGS Comic
Quotes:
"Please tell me it has nothing to with your current lack of pants."
The Slowly in Progress El Goonish GURPs feedback is appreciated by pm or posts.
Nasrudith
Keenspot Despot

Postby Vene on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:12 pm

Nasrudith wrote:
Vene wrote:
Tricia wrote:

But the upside is then that means

Well, I do plan on living forever. So far so good.
A Y is just a defective X.--DStaal

Of course, humans have a habit of expanding the Evil bin when encountering something new--Raventooth
Vene
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Enaronia on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Nasrudith wrote:But the upside is then that means

Do you mean "immortality," by any chance? :evilgrin:
Feel free to ignore me if I ramble too much. Or slap me, that works sometimes.
Enaronia
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby WalkerBoh on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:51 pm

I would go on a date with Claire, because... well, there isn't a single member of the main cast I wouldn't try dating. Not saying they would all work out (I imagine that Tedd or Nanase would last the shortest amount of time). But I'd definitely be interested.
You are in my Monkeysphere.
KimberBoh - Sister 2 Gender-swapped bunny
Winner of the Golden Udder

My Gear
WalkerBoh, Lord of Halloween
WalkerBoh, Prince of Winter
Master of the Universe
Compliments of Cerridwen
WalkerBoh
Keenspot Despot

Gosh, I Guess This Depends On Your Point Of View...

Postby horus on Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:51 pm

I voted "other". Allow me to explain:

I'd go on a date, which is to say, a night out (as opposed to a night in), with any of the cast - one's sexual orientation has little to do with just going out and having fun (I think Chaos Priest got here first...). I still sneak out with my buddies for a beer-n-darts kinda thing now and then (though I can no longer drink beer). That's every bit as much a "date" to me as taking my wife out to dinner and a movie. Now what might follow such dates will, of course, vary wildly, but that's the after-party.

For me, it would be interesting to not know who's behind the mask. I would be fascinated with trying to figure out who I'm really on the town with. That'd add to the fun.

As for the kiss goodnight? No one else would know "Claire" might be male, and form follows function in these things. As long as we didn't get too icky-sticky about it, why not? Keep it light-hearted and enjoy each others' company for the evening. Sure, why not?

It's time for me to move, folks (shift change).

Later On,
D

EDIT: acknowledging Chaos Priest got here (to this viewpoint) before I did. We are in agreement, then.
Incarnating as Het-heru for the duration of the Sister II story arc.

"It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs."
A Proud Member of Quote Pyramid Demolition Workers' Union Local No. 72
XP: We don't need no stinkin' XP (yet)!
EGS Inventory: Standard Newbie Pack (1 dead fish, 6 cans of unlabeled soda, 1 TF gun, 1 Squirrel teddy, "1 Thing I've forgotten" (from who?), a copy of Cat Chicks Magazine, and a Grace VooDoo doll.
Image Image
ImageImage
horus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tarvok on Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:42 pm

So it'll be Ellen's birthday party when she spins around and zaps everybody, ending with herself. ;)

Speaking of which, when IS Ellen's birthday? While there is a question as to when she and her friends would consider it appropriate to celebrate it, no doubt she does have a birth certificate, complete with a birthday. Did Mr. Verres people pick a date out of the air, or use DWD day some years ago, or Elliot's birthday, or is it, like on my driver's license pic, a "perfectly normal" day?

(Heh, I was going to link my drivers license pic, but I don't know where it is any more.)
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby littlebeast on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:27 pm

Uh... 6 and/or 7. Of course, IRL and not thinking about it, it'd probably be no just because I'm too shy to go on a date with anyone, but in theory!

But no mush.
Unless of course we're dogsledding. :shifty:
The english language is confused, you know that? For example: You use your feet in soccer, sock people in football, park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway, and apartments are stuck together.
I currently have three ninja points. Status: Kawasaki Ninja.
Previous status: Terran Ghost.
Why not, inventory.
Mandatory link to my comic.
I have a wiki page!
Random hilarious quote time!!
RichM90071 wrote:Ninja'd by a herd of pigs.
littlebeast
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenshisama on Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:48 pm

I think I would have a hard time treating it as a "date". I'd enjoy myself, sure, and I'd spend the entire time looking for clues and trying to guess who Claire actually is, but without knowing who I'm actually dealing with (and what sort of future relationship possibilities there are), it's hard to invest anything into the date.
Inventory: One unopened, 2006 vintage Ellen and Nanase celebratory champagne, courtesty of Steven Jester, an one shiny venus-form TF cookie, courtesy of Dan.

Bored? contribute to the FAQ or go comment on my fanart!
The jokes aren't that bad, I promise!
Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Maximilianop on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:18 pm

[i]0. Other
I have been to the end of the universe and back
... Sadly enough I forgot all about it ...

BIG EGS FanVideos Playlist. My personal favorites.
If you care, I have a blog (Spanish)
Maximilianop
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby WalkerBoh on Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:36 pm

You know, I'm bored and I have a keyboard. I'm gonna list the reasons I'd date each character.

1. Tedd: He's Tedd. He's smart, he has purple hair, he has the TFG... my god, he's adorable.

2. Elliot: He feels... safe, you know? Like reliable, a guy who'd really be there for you. And we know he likes to cuddle. So I'm a little emotionally dependent. Sue me.

3. Ellen: Much like Elliot, but with diametrically opposed anatomy and more impulsive, so probably better at getting me out of my shell and making me comfortable in new situations than Elliot.

4. Sarah: She's down to earth and a very emotionally centered person. She's also an artist, and I simply adore watching people work at something they love.

5. Nanase: Her name is Kitsune. She turns into a fairy. Dude, I'd be all "My bunny!" too.

6. Justin: Justin is hot. He's also geeky enough for me to relax with, and he's a guy who seems trustworthy (I have serious IRL problems with trusting guys, so it's a major bonus).

7. Grace: Shapeshifter with no compunctions against casual nudity. The only way that would be better is if that were me.

8. Susan: Very likely the one I'd form the most lasting relationship with. As I mentioned above, I have serious trust issues with guys. Susan has serious issues with accountability for guys. For some reason, I see them working themselves out between us so that we could be equals in the relationship.

As to the idea of one of them hiding behind 'Claire' for the date, it just adds a hint of mystery, and as much romance as chocolates from a secret admirer. Sure, I'd want to know in the end, and if it went well, I imagine I'd find out eventually. If not, well, I imagine that it would help keep things from being as awkward for me (though not for them, and I appreciate the sacrifice inherent in that choice).
You are in my Monkeysphere.
KimberBoh - Sister 2 Gender-swapped bunny
Winner of the Golden Udder

My Gear
WalkerBoh, Lord of Halloween
WalkerBoh, Prince of Winter
Master of the Universe
Compliments of Cerridwen
WalkerBoh
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive