Meet the Family [Was: Meet the Parents]

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby azrael_2001 on Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:54 pm

Tricia wrote:
Haylo wrote:
Tricia wrote:no, he's *not* a shape shifter.

He is a human. A male human. Being himself is who he needs to be.
Of all the things about Tedd to defend, the very easiest is shape shifting! He might still be ahead of Grace in total forms tested. Only by insisting on
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haylo on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:09 pm

Perhaps a further suggestion, totally truthful but edging well over the line into grandstanding: Show up as a male half-squirrel, near but not exact match to Grace, then when Grace transforms to human use the belt to change, without hiding the artificial nature of the belt. He has improved the belt since it was last used, and in any case Grace and Transforming are most of what he cares about in the world; he should be able to endure the crude transformation.
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nasrudith on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:29 pm

For sake of discussion lets expand from parents to family.
First lets start off with Dr. Sciuridae. Judging by his characterization so far this shouldn't be a problem as long as Grace is happy about Tedd. Thus there really shouldn't be a problem unless Tedd really does something to really piss him off.

Hedge of all her brothers seems the most likely to disapprove. Although he could have just been curious. I wouldn't put it past Vladia to be protective as well. Guineas is a bit of a speechless running gag so his opinion is probably unknown.

The second group of parents that is at this point entirely hypothetical would be the family of Mr. Guyur. They may or may not even be alive at this point. Depending on their opinions on seyunolu as equals or not they may not even accept Grace in the first case and thus not give a crap over who she dates. Now if Mr. Guyur's family does care but are strongly religious in the unnamed uryuom religion they may hate Tedd for the sheer reason that he makes a hobby out of improving and using a cosmetic modification device that uses object oriented programming. We really don't know much about uryuom culture, what little we see is from American uryuoms so there may not be a problem at all. After all parrents does not necessarily mean two people to them.
Currently Nass for Sister II.
Vote Dan Shive for president of the united states! Who cares that he is too young to run!
XP: 485
Inventory: Newbie Kit with, TF Gun Kamikaze Add-On. 5 Sharpened Brownies
Favorite EGS Comic
Quotes:
"Please tell me it has nothing to with your current lack of pants."
The Slowly in Progress El Goonish GURPs feedback is appreciated by pm or posts.
Nasrudith
Keenspot Despot

Postby Haylo on Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:37 pm

azrael_2001 wrote:<snip>most people who have seen her in the street will have assumed that she is actually human, if they ever actually thought about it at all. <snip>
That brings up a real difference in how I interpret things
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Loztein on Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:54 pm

Hmm, the Belt point you made their, especially if it were over his regular apparel that'd be a good way of doing that, as long as he gives off a quick or detailed (Depending on the rest of Grace's Family's interest) explanation afterwards, though Perhaps they should both come as Homosapiens and then turn into Squirrel-People?

As for my definition of "Human" I've never considered it Homosapien, no matter how many people make the connection. I've always beleived and always will continue to beleive that "Human" is an earned title of which Man, Beast, Demon, Machine, and all else can earn. Or LOSE.
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Quote of Boredom: "Great, now we’ve got a mummy on the loose, and the son of a b**** knows how to drive a stick"
– Burton Guster, from Psych
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: A time someone of my sort just does not seem to belong...

Postby Nocturn on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:34 pm

I dreamed about this train last night. It was a miracle train that brought me joy.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tuitsuro on Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:55 pm

Tricia wrote:He is a human. A male human. Being himself is who he needs to be.

Honestly, if your daughter brought home someone like Tedd, would you want her dating him?

Nocturn wrote:I dreamed about this train last night. It was a miracle train that brought me joy.

So wait... dreaming of a large phallitic object bringing you joy. Absolutely nothing Freudian there!
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:52 am

[quote="Tricia"][quote]My first suggestion was going to be Male half-squirrel, same size as Grace, a variant in a slightly lighter brown than Grace
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cheez on Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:00 am

NevrMore wrote:Anyone remember the movie "Stand By Me"? It was about those four kids who go looking for the body of a guy hit by a train.

Yeah, I remember that. My sister had it on video.
Cheez
Keenspot Deity

Postby Nocturn on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:16 am

Tuitsuro wrote:
Nocturn wrote:I dreamed about this train last night. It was a miracle train that brought me joy.

So wait... dreaming of a large phallitic object bringing you joy. Absolutely nothing Freudian there!

I don't need a psychologist to know I'm sexually unfulfilled.

Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Amon Star on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:37 am

Tuitsuro wrote:
Honestly, if your daughter brought home someone like Tedd, would you want her dating him? *Snip*
Yes.
Amon Star
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nocturn on Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:46 am

Amon Star wrote:
Tuitsuro wrote:
Honestly, if your daughter brought home someone like Tedd, would you want her dating him? *Snip*
Yes.

Tuitsuro, are you rferring to Tedd in his normal form, or some gender-switched furry form? 'cause in one case my answer is "no", and in the other my answer is "hell no."

Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Mewtarthio on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:13 am

Well, "himself" is a male human being with an unhealthy fixation on transforming himself. In fact, it would be lying if he remained the same species and/or gender throughout the entire meeting. Hey, wouldn't you hate it if your daughter brought home a man and you didn't learn until later that he enjoys transforming himself into all manner of Thing Which Nature Never Intended to Exist?
Mewtarthio
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kalga on Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:50 am

I'd love it, because then I could scare him away.... that's one of my life goals.... though with my luck, they'd turn out to be a lesbian......
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Haylo on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:43 am

Mewtarthio wrote:

Well, "himself" is a male human being with an unhealthy fixation on transforming himself. In fact, it would be lying if he remained the same species and/or gender throughout the entire meeting. Hey, wouldn't you hate it if your daughter brought home a man and you didn't learn until later that he enjoys transforming himself into all manner of Thing Which Nature Never Intended to Exist?
Almost as bad, what if I chased him off and only when it was too late found out he did, after all, have the qualities that my daughter really needed (in a case where people like that are none too common)? Suppose I had a daughter with the mutation (50% odds, since it's probably an autosomal dominant) and she brought home an amateur body builder that enjoyed being strong and yet liked the fact that she was still stronger than he was
Image .... Image
Haylo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kalga on Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:48 am

Nocturn wrote:
Amon Star wrote:
Tuitsuro wrote:
Yes.

Tuitsuro, are you rferring to Tedd in his normal form, or some gender-switched furry form? 'cause in one case my answer is "no", and in the other my answer is "hell no."

I wouldn't be surprised if a member of my family brought home a gender-switched furry......
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Loztein on Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:46 am

Loztein wrote:Hmm, the Belt point you made their, especially if it were over his regular apparel that'd be a good way of doing that, as long as he gives off a quick or detailed (Depending on the rest of Grace's Family's interest) explanation afterwards, though Perhaps they should both come as Homosapiens and then turn into Squirrel-People?

I'll stick by btoh Grace & Tedd arrive as Homosapiens then Grace Shapeshifts, he may very blatantly wear the belt there/bring the TFG, and if anyone asks/if the proper moment arrived use it to TF as well and explain it and himself, in intricate detail if someone seems interested, and of course emphasize on how he can't shapeshift naturally but relies upon said devices.

As for bringing a Gender switched (or regular for that matter) Furry home, heck I'm the most likely to in my household.

On the subject of trains, Third Rails, does anybody ever notice them?
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Quote of Boredom: "Great, now we’ve got a mummy on the loose, and the son of a b**** knows how to drive a stick"
– Burton Guster, from Psych
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: A time someone of my sort just does not seem to belong...

Postby Thog Bad on Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:35 pm

If anything I don't think Grace's brothers and sister will really mind Tedd that much. If anything, they'll probably be happy that she's getting something of a normal life.

Personally, I think that as long as he doesn't try to pass himself off as a natural shapeshifter, he should use the TFG. If he doesn't, he's not being as real as he would be if he were human the whole time. His obsession with transformations is part of who he is. He should first go in his normal form, and maybe transform after he meets them. I don't think it would bother them. They'd probably feel more normal then.

Loztein wrote:On the subject of trains, Third Rails, does anybody ever notice them?

Well, Adam Savage of the Mythbusters has stated one of it's dangers:
Adam Savage wrote:It just goes to show, do not grab the third rail with both hands and piss on it from 3 inches away!
"You have never talked to a mere mortal." --C.S. Lewis
The Dilbert Principle: People are Idiots
"If it's worth doing it's worth overdoing" -- Tory from Mythbusters
Thog Bad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tricia on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:01 pm

Nocturn wrote:
Amon Star wrote:
Tuitsuro wrote:
Yes.

My thought exactly, noxy.

The real question is...if he showed up as a half-squirrel...what conclusion could they draw *besides* him being a natural shapeshifter?
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby azrael_2001 on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:32 pm

Tricia wrote:The real question is...if he showed up as a half-squirrel...what conclusion could they draw *besides* him being a natural shapeshifter?
Frankly, they'd be stupid to draw any sort of conclusion from so little evidence, especially since Grace probably indicated that her boyfriend was human when they talked on the videophone.
Also, I fully expect that they would have come across CMDs, or information about them, during their psychological evaluation, especially since we know that their education was supervised by Tedd's Dad's department and involved at least some direct contact with pure Uryuoms. So they would at least be aware that there were other ways to change form than to be born with the ability. In fact, Vladia's existence alone should be plenty of evidence of that.

Anyway, the desired effect could just as easily be achieved by Tedd kissing Grace in half-squirrel form in front of them. Or better, when they appear to think themselves unobserved.
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby NevrMore on Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:36 pm

Nocturn wrote:
Tuitsuro wrote:

I don't need a psychologist to know I'm sexually unfulfilled.

:(
Cut off your head. Don't hesitate. Do it today; it's great! Toss out your brains - they're a disease - cut off your head and think with your knees.
NevrMore
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Michael Brazier on Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:00 am

:o :oops:

Good grief, you two, get a room. :-|
Chom cho vequcklyug teg nyuzoj quyuch cho lajjol cenogyunoc: u chot, uc cho voranum lonulpoj, chug hlowomgri fukkomc yum glekyusur sryunoc, quoom u boaisor yuc, ce ge ckoup, "cmulpoj."
Michael Brazier
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:56 am

You think that's bad, go to the DD forums.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kalga on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:31 am

No.... the Sore Thumbs forum is the worse.... they actully have threads for the sole purpose of posting Hentai.....
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Nocturn on Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:44 am

No, Kalga, Illusionist means that Nevvy and I are far more flirtatious with each other on the DD board.

Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive