Meet the Family [Was: Meet the Parents]

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby Joan Valkyrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:14 pm

Yun wrote:
Joan Valkyrie wrote:I have advice for both of you, pick your battles wisely. It is quite unwise to defend a position which is revealed to contain pedophilia without being accused of advocating it yourselves.

And I'd say the same to you. When even the man who complained about said pedophilia in the first place admits that it's a quantitatively small (albeit qualitatively huge) problem then it makes you look unreasonable to accuse those who defend Mayhem as a whole of defending pedophilia.

One instance without reproach is still one instance too many and it speaks for the social, mental and moral health of the community as a whole. You can wax philosophy all you want about the subject but the fact of the matter still remains, the community is responsible for their own actions, and by extension their own image.

Yes, you could argue that Lomgren and Kyrio are not taking the problem seriously enough, and I'll more than likely agree with you there, but their point was that the things Wraith found were not representative of Mayhem as a whole, which is something Wraith conceded.

Wraith only conceded because his brain figuratively melted after reading through just 3 of the threads in Mayhem. Allow me to quote :

[10:02] <workwraith> http://steelturman.typepad.com/photos/u ... /obese.JPG
[10:02] <Noxy> Ew.
[10:03] <workwraith> That was in the third thread I clicked on.
[10:03] <workwraith> My brain crawled out my ear and is hiding under the sofa with the bunnies.
[10:03] <Mutamu> WHAT HAVE MY EYES EVER DONE TO YOU, WRAITH?!
[10:04] <workwraith> My pain is lessened by sharing.

Allow me to throw in with the Mayhem needs a mod crowd. Locking the whole forum is only going to cause more drama, because the overwhelming majority of threads are, in fact, good clean fun and such a draconian measure is probably going to produce a flood of "What did we do?"

There will be drama regardless of what happens, it's a fact of life, fact of internet. There is little you can do to prevent that. At least with the forums locked, all the drama will be moved to a place out of sight and out of mind from Dan's perspective.
Last edited by Joan Valkyrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joan Valkyrie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kyrio on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:17 pm

so turning his back on it and shutting his ears fixes all his problems?
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level!"
"IT'S...1006"
"Really?"
"Yeah, kick his ass, Nappa."
Kyrio
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Joan Valkyrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:24 pm

Considering that he does not want to deal with the drama here, yes.
Joan Valkyrie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kyrio on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:25 pm

EDIT: You know what? nevermind. I won't bother.
Last edited by Kyrio on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Vegeta! What does the scouter say about his power level!"
"IT'S...1006"
"Really?"
"Yeah, kick his ass, Nappa."
Kyrio
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Lomgren on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:26 pm

Locking the forums is likely to stress Dan a whole lot more than leaving them open, what with the millions of PMs he will get from Bunnies wondering what is going on. So, no, Joan, you have no idea of what will happen.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby DarkShive on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:29 pm

I'm done with this thread, and I feel sorry for the bunny who started it. It began as such a simple topic, and a good one at that. Then people just spat all over it. Are you proud?

Guess I'll never know, seeing as I've locked this disaster of a thread.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive