Meet the Family [Was: Meet the Parents]

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby Kalga on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:22 pm

What is the Hug Hospital about?
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Tricia on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:23 pm

Lomgren wrote:...Tricia, you're stereotyping. That doesn't happen that often in Mayhem. The threads there are generally either games or RPs, with the RPs being about different things. The War Thread is, of course, about a war in a post-apocalpyse world. MKRP is about town life. 2984 is a 1984-esque future RP. And so on. Sometimes someone makes a thread about being gone for a bit, and then there's the Hug Hospital, which is one of the best thread ideas ever.
...one of the worst culprits is a thread entirely about you.

And you know very well which one I'm talking about.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Michael Brazier on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:24 pm

Tricia wrote:That's all half the people bring to the forum anymore. Not necessarily this forum...but especially Mayhem. I can't even set foot anywhere near Mayhem, because it's immensely creepy. And that kind of stuff goes on constantly over there. Hundreds of times worse than what Noxy and Nevr were doing.

What Nocturn and NevrMore were doing was a lot like those pathetic people who display their private parts on the streets. Displaying intimate details of one's life in a public place is a familiarity, and thus a breach of decorum. I don't keep up with Mayhem, but I very much doubt that anyone has discussed their real sexual activities on that forum.

As for the comparison ... Tricia, you're about the last person in the world to make that judgement. You react to transformation stories as war veterans react to the sound of a gunshot. That reflexive repulsion you feel may be evidence of some sort (though, since I don't share it, I doubt that) but while you feel it your critical faculties aren't operating. You're too quick to call something smut because it triggers that reflex.

For what it's worth, I endorse Dan's action here.
Chom cho vequcklyug teg nyuzoj quyuch cho lajjol cenogyunoc: u chot, uc cho voranum lonulpoj, chug hlowomgri fukkomc yum glekyusur sryunoc, quoom u boaisor yuc, ce ge ckoup, "cmulpoj."
Michael Brazier
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Joan Valkyrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:27 pm

What intimate details?

Also Michael, if that is what you honestly think, then you really need to regain your social perspective of what is acceptable and what's not.

Lomgren : You have an entire thread devoted to the fantasy of a miniature catboy version of yourself being shoved into cleavages and panties. HOW in the world can you not expect people to stereotype EGS Mayhem as a bunch of hormonally-charged, sexually-depraved strumpets looking for their quick fix in fetish RPs? I know for a fact that mousekrod here has/had an IRC channel specifically for flat-out sex RPs, that isn't helping the image any.

You can either learn to live with the stereotype, or to simply not contribute to such generalizations yourself.
Last edited by Joan Valkyrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Joan Valkyrie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tricia on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:30 pm

Michael Brazier wrote:What Nocturn and NevrMore were doing was a lot like those pathetic people who display their private parts on the streets. Displaying intimate details of one's life in a public place is a familiarity, and thus a breach of decorum. I don't keep up with Mayhem, but I very much doubt that anyone has discussed their real sexual activities on that forum.
Noxy and Nevr have never actually met.

As for the comparison ... Tricia, you're about the last person in the world to make that judgement. You react to transformation stories as war veterans react to the sound of a gunshot. That reflexive repulsion you feel may be evidence of some sort (though, since I don't share it, I doubt that) but while you feel it your critical faculties aren't operating. You're too quick to call something smut because it triggers that reflex.
I have no problem with transformation stories. I was once a fan of them. I, for example, loved Fruits Basket.

It's when the transformation stories get into the "Let's turn every single guy into a female, make them as good-looking as possible, with perfect bodies, and make them wear almost nothing, too!" that turns my stomach.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lomgren on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:31 pm

Tricia, I said that most threads aren't that way. Just because there might be one or two threads that have started up doesn't mean 100% of Mayhem is that way. It's stereotyping that appears to be based off preconceived notions that all Bunnies appear to be sex-deprived maniacs. Which is wrong, as 99% of Mayhem is fun and games. Please don't single out Mayhem for the exception to the rule.

Also, the Hug Hospital is a thread where you go to post problems that you are having, asking for hugs and/or advice. It was a big help when I lost one of my grandmothers last year.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby Kalga on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:33 pm

Oh.... well that a good idea.....
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Tricia on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:35 pm

Lomgren wrote:Tricia, I said that most threads aren't that way. Just because there might be one or two threads that have started up doesn't mean 100% of Mayhem is that way. It's stereotyping that appears to be based off preconceived notions that all Bunnies appear to be sex-deprived maniacs. Which is wrong, as 99% of Mayhem is fun and games. Please don't single out Mayhem for the exception to the rule.

Also, the Hug Hospital is a thread where you go to post problems that you are having, asking for hugs and/or advice. It was a big help when I lost one of my grandmothers last year.
...if you really need me to, I can get a list for you. I've looked around there, albeit briefly, and I found a *hell* of a lot more than just that one thread.

Whatever, though. There's nothing I can say that will be able to convince you that your little community isn't full of saints and angels.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby azrael_2001 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Tricia wrote:Whatever, though. There's nothing I can say that will be able to convince you that your little community isn't full of saints and angels.
More inappropriate hyperbole. No-one has ever said anything of the sort. This is exactly why some people around here resent you Tricia.

As for your list, please do get one for us, since you offered. I think it would be educational.
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:40 pm

Confession: I myself don't go into Mayhem without a moderation request. If the sort of posts I saw here are going on there, or worse, maybe I should just lock the whole damn thing and be done with it. I barely have the patience to moderate THIS forum these days.

And it wasn't JUST mention of genitalia. If you really want to know the details, PM me. In any case, I deemed the content inappropriate for these forums.

I know it's not a perfect method, but if you're about to post something that might be objectionable from an "adult content" standpoint, ask yourself if a) it's ever been in the comic, and b) would it seem significantly out of place if it was. What I deleted would never, ever be found in the comic, and if it was, I would add it to the already too long list of past comics I'm currently embarrassed by.

And yes, I am very hesitant to actually ban people. I would be in any case, but more so with these forums given that accounts are linked to multiple forums and I don't want to mess with other people's forums. I am NOT hesitant to let people know if their behavior is the sort that will result in being moderated or banned. Really, would it be a good thing if I was? Just not say anything until they're banned? How would that be a good thing?

I sometimes find myself tempted to set up a forum separate from these ones. Not just because I could use different forum software and act fully as an admin without worrying about messing with other forums, but because I could do more with sub-forums and the like. I could have an entire subforum for reactions, one for general comments, RPGs and games, etc. With the right software, I could even auto-moderate certain content violations.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby azrael_2001 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:42 pm

DarkShive wrote:I sometimes find myself tempted to set up a forum separate from these ones. Not just because I could use different forum software and act fully as an admin without worrying about messing with other forums, but because I could do more with sub-forums and the like. I could have an entire subforum for reactions, one for general comments, RPGs and games, etc. With the right software, I could even auto-moderate certain content violations.

Have you seen what Jeff has done over at the GPF forums?
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby Joan Valkyrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:43 pm

Lomgren wrote:It's stereotyping that appears to be based off preconceived notions that all Bunnies appear to be sex-deprived maniacs. Which is wrong, as 99% of Mayhem is fun and games. Please don't single out Mayhem for the exception to the rule.

I can ask the same courtesy of you and all the EGS Mayhem posters to not perpetuate the stereotype themselves. This is exactly the kind of thing I see in the fur fandom.
Joan Valkyrie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tricia on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:46 pm

...fine.

You know what? Screw it. You people are so tired of seeing me around here? You think I'm nothing but a "ball of anger", set off by anything and everything? You think I go around flame-baiting people, and trying to cause trouble? Then I'll just leave.

Maybe without Noxy and I here, you can bring back your perfect utopia where no one ever disagrees, and everything is all sunshine and rainbows.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Joan Valkyrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:50 pm

azrael_2001 wrote:
Tricia wrote:Whatever, though. There's nothing I can say that will be able to convince you that your little community isn't full of saints and angels.
More inappropriate hyperbole. No-one has ever said anything of the sort. This is exactly why some people around here resent you Tricia.

As for your list, please do get one for us, since you offered. I think it would be educational.

Because she questioned the status of the self-delusion most people carry here that they're perfect? I may not have posted much recently, but I do read a lot of threads where some of the members are obnoxiously self-righteous in response to a dissertive opinion.
Joan Valkyrie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Lomgren on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:17 pm

*sighs* Tricia, I never once accused you of anything except for stereotyping Mayhem. And Joan, even though I posted the open letter, I wasn't trying to suggest we are perfect. We do have our faults, but I was noting a general change in the forums that appears to have happened over an extended time period.

And I'm one of the few Mayhem posters that seems to come to the Main forums on a regular basis, so just telling me something won't help. But from what I read, most of the stuff posted is fine. In some cases, there are posts that use "Tasteful Curtains" to keep the forum rating, but most of that is for part of the flavor of the posts in RPs. But those don't make up a majority of posts... that's the thing.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby azrael_2001 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:20 pm

Tricia wrote:You know what? Screw it. You people are so tired of seeing me around here? You think I'm nothing but a "ball of anger", set off by anything and everything? You think I go around flame-baiting people, and trying to cause trouble? Then I'll just leave.

Who said any of this? Seriously, what?
Tricia wrote:Maybe without Noxy and I here, you can bring back your perfect utopia where no one ever disagrees, and everything is all sunshine and rainbows.
I for one never wanted Noxy to go. Nevrmore I can take or leave, but the combination is explosive. I'm of the opinion that one without the other would work just as well as not having either, but what do I know?
azrael_2001
Keenspot Despot

Postby Joan Valkyrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Lomgren wrote:And Joan, even though I posted the open letter, I wasn't trying to suggest we are perfect. We do have our faults, but I was noting a general change in the forums that appears to have happened over an extended time period.

Well, I wasn't disagreeing with you. I am just pointing what you had missed, which is the WHY of the events while you just explained the WHAT of the events.
Joan Valkyrie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby BinaryWraith on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Lomgren wrote:It's stereotyping that appears to be based off preconceived notions that all Bunnies appear to be sex-deprived maniacs. Which is wrong, as 99% of Mayhem is fun and games. Please don't single out Mayhem for the exception to the rule.

Really Lommy? How about a few examples, shall we?

A 'fanfic' about turning various posters into topless panty-clad girls, more than one of whom are known to be underaged.

Really, just pick a page. Any will do. Here a couple:

Chip & Bitch from page 76.

Fun on page 36!

Try this and the post below it! As I recall, that is from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, filmed in 2001. The girl shown, Emma Watson, was born in 1990. Let's do some math, shall we?

A wonderful fan 'comic', this one is especially nice!

Tell me once again how pure as the driven snow Mayhem is, Lomgren?

Mind you, this is what I could come up with in less than ten minutes.
BinaryWraith
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Joan Valkyrie on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:32 pm

BinaryWraith wrote:Try this and the post below it! As I recall, that is from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, filmed in 2001. The girl shown, Emma Watson, was born in 1990. Let's do some math, shall we?

Oh jesus christ! D: Is this even legal?
Joan Valkyrie
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby MOOMANiBE on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:33 pm

Okay, maybe I underestimated the percentage of "bad" topics in mayhem.
MOOMANiBE
Keenspot Despot

D:, much D:

Postby Mutamu on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:35 pm

Joan Valkyrie wrote:
BinaryWraith wrote:Try this and the post below it! As I recall, that is from Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets, filmed in 2001. The girl shown, Emma Watson, was born in 1990. Let's do some math, shall we?

I wouldn't have thought so.
Join some IRC channel. Or don't. Whichever.
Mutamu
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: D:, much D:

Postby BinaryWraith on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:38 pm

Mutamu wrote:
Joan Valkyrie wrote:

I wouldn't have thought so.

I usually don't get this worked up but... ELEVEN YEAR OLD. DO NOT WANT.
You never saw me. I was never here.
BinaryWraith
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby FaweFC44 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:39 pm

This one in the same thread is just as bad, if not worse. Especially two panels in particular.
The 'You Are _ _ _ _!', 'My Personality Is...' and all things related are stupid. There will be no argument on this.
Malachy19 wrote:[07:03] Malachy 19: yes, I TOUCH myself

Context is for the WEAK.
FaweFC44
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Malachy19 on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:40 pm

I don;t think the locking of all of Mayhem would be the best idea, since there are plenty of perfectly fine stuff amongst the muck. I think the best idea would be some kind of Mod who is on there a lot without a fear of locking bad bad threads.
"Everyone wants my bacon. My delicious Canadian Bacon" -Camo
All my Characters, in one handy Place
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby MOOMANiBE on Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:45 pm

Malachy19 wrote:I don;t think the locking of all of Mayhem would be the best idea, since there are plenty of perfectly fine stuff amongst the muck. I think the best idea would be some kind of Mod who is on there a lot without a fear of locking bad bad threads.

I can agree with that.
MOOMANiBE
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive