EGS Motivational Posters

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: EGS Motivational Posters

Postby Nightranger on Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:23 am

Yay, my first motivator! I came up with the idea while working on my latest stripslay.

MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby CooperNRG on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:27 am

"Or it's a key all the time, and when you stick it in people, it unlocks their death."

Caboose - Red vs Blue

CooperNRG
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Redattack34 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:55 am

Illusionist wrote:1. Language.
2. Maybe I went too far by saying Nintendo make almost nothing (emphasis on almost) but casual games, but you're going just as far by saying Xbox 360 only has realistic shooters, and nobody can afford a PS3. I know several people with PS3s, and as for 360's games: Mass Effect, Oblivion, 4 new Square Enix RPGs, Half-Life 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Braid, more racing and sport games than you can shake a stick at...all realistic war games, aren't they?

Braid? Seriously? Did I miss something? I played the demo and I was completely unimpressed, but you compare it to TF2 and Penny Arcade says that it 'actually matters.'

What did I miss here?
Redattack34
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Axel on Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:27 pm

Illusionist wrote:1. Language.
2. Maybe I went too far by saying Nintendo make almost nothing (emphasis on almost) but casual games, but you're going just as far by saying Xbox 360 only has realistic shooters, and nobody can afford a PS3. I know several people with PS3s, and as for 360's games: Mass Effect, Oblivion, 4 new Square Enix RPGs, Half-Life 2, Portal, Team Fortress 2, Braid, more racing and sport games than you can shake a stick at...all realistic war games, aren't they?

Perhaps some people can afford one. But you can't argue that Sony didn't create a ridiculously overpriced product just to add functionality that most of their users wouldn't have any use for. Seriously, $600+ just for a game system? And that just so it would have support for (at the time) an unproven video format that could only be viewed by the most high-end TV's! All I want a game machine to do is play freakin' games. (Not that it matters, I haven't been following them closely, but I haven't heard anything spectacular coming out PS3 exclusive.)
Note that your list of "good" Xbox games included primarily FPS's, war games, racing games, and sport games. Given my previous statement, it'd be a good guess that I hate FPS's and wargames. Besides, even if they were good, they're all the same. How many Halo or Battlefield games before you get sick of them?* I'll add this: I also hate sport games.** And racing games are only fun as party games. So, your list boils down to Portal, which does kick serious ass. But I ain't shellin' out for the other crap that's in the Orange Box when all I want is Portal. (Also, I've been told by friends that the console versions of all first person games, including Portal, are virtually unplayable next to their PC versions. So if I do get Portal I'll be playing in WINE not 360.)

*(hint: less than one)
** (seriously, unless its Quiditch, GO OUTSIDE)
If something I say offends you, don't get angry. It's never worth the effort. Just listen to this.

"I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore!" - RM, http://www.dndresources.com

Inventory: 1 proton pack, 1 ghost trap, pastry and fillet of sole, six empty Mt. Dew cans, 1 squirrel teddy, a TF gun, an Emu, and Occam's Razor. Not afraid to use them.

Currently bucking for a section-8.
Axel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Postby Illusionist on Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:08 am

You said "realistic war games". Unless your definition of realistic includes aliens, plasma rifles, a gun that shoots life and zombie cyborgs, none of the FPS games in my list are realistic. (Neither is Mass Effect, come to think of it) Hell, even Call of Duty 4 isn't that realistic once you factor in the Arabs with laser sight, or the unkillable Price/Gaz double team.

Oh, and just Portal? Pay Braid a little respect, or at least try to find out what it is. The appeal of Braid, by the way, is the originality, time manipulation, and frankly excellent presentation. Add those to genuinely puzzling puzzles and you have a winner.

I have never played any of the Battlefield series, and Halo is actually pretty fun in multiplayer.

Oblivion is more RPG than FPS, and it has magic and goblins, so that counts as well.

4 new Square Enix RPGs, including Final Fantasy XIII, are by their very definition neither Shooters or realistic.

Oh, and Crackdown, Saints Row, Soul Calibur 4, Assassin's Creed, Age of Conan...do any of these games have an ounce of realism?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mixedintrests on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:28 am

Illusionist wrote:*snip* Age of Conan *snip*

I play this on PC and was not even aware that it had a console version. I had just equated it with WoW, which as far as I know doesn't have any console versions. How could you make this a non-MMORPG? It would suck! (Not that it's all that great as an MMORPG, but eh.)
If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.
~Mark Twain~

*** Participating in the Gender-Swap Avitar fun! In light of having a gender neutral name I shall simply change my name like so: interestsmixed! It's swaped SEE???
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Years of Bunny-ness: Over 2 Years!
Posts so far: 230
Newbies Glomped: 12 (First: 3)
Newbie Packages given: 5
TOTAL XP: 1,125

Bunny Level 6 Achieved!

Oh! And this:
mixedintrests
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:32 am

It is an MMO, using Xbox live.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby mixedintrests on Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:42 am

Illusionist wrote:It is an MMO, using Xbox live.

So you pay double for a mediocre game? Once for the X-box live subscription and again for the monthly charge? Or I guess triple if you count paying for the game itself... :okthen:
If man could be crossed with the cat, it would improve man but deteriorate the cat.
~Mark Twain~

*** Participating in the Gender-Swap Avitar fun! In light of having a gender neutral name I shall simply change my name like so: interestsmixed! It's swaped SEE???
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Years of Bunny-ness: Over 2 Years!
Posts so far: 230
Newbies Glomped: 12 (First: 3)
Newbie Packages given: 5
TOTAL XP: 1,125

Bunny Level 6 Achieved!

Oh! And this:
mixedintrests
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:09 am

I'm not sure there is any monthly charge on the Xbox version. Even if there is, Xbox Live Subscription is essentially just £5 a month, and if you can afford the subscription that shouldn't be a problem.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby theopenandclosedbook on Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:47 pm

Axel wrote:
Illusionist wrote:Nintendo pretty much just make casual games now.
Microsoft and Sony are trying to pick up the people who actually enjoy video games, instead of waving a stick to play Tennis..

As a longtime Zelda and Starfox fan I call bullshit.

High 5, star Fox fan
Current Avatar: Lea Plath the Anansi Mage.
theopenandclosedbook
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SQRT(-2) on Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:57 pm

Motivation from filler:

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal." "And Ted Verres made them girls."
SQRT(-2)
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Youwillneverknow on Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:50 pm

Youwillneverknow
Keenspot Deity

Postby Nightranger on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:24 pm

I was bored, so I decided to make a few motivators.

I don't like the way this one ended up with part of the panel cut off, but oh well. The chibi's are really all that matters anyway.

At least this is true for most people.

Do I even need to say anything here?
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Man on the Moon on Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:38 pm

:evilgrin:
Man on the Moon
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Axel on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:09 pm

Illusionist wrote:You said "realistic war games". Unless your definition of realistic includes aliens, plasma rifles, a gun that shoots life and zombie cyborgs, none of the FPS games in my list are realistic. *post continues in this vein for a while*

*Rereads post* The word "realistic" appears in my post... zero times. Well, there goes your entire argument.
If something I say offends you, don't get angry. It's never worth the effort. Just listen to this.

"I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore!" - RM, http://www.dndresources.com

Inventory: 1 proton pack, 1 ghost trap, pastry and fillet of sole, six empty Mt. Dew cans, 1 squirrel teddy, a TF gun, an Emu, and Occam's Razor. Not afraid to use them.

Currently bucking for a section-8.
Axel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Postby Illusionist on Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:13 am

Axel wrote:
Illusionist wrote:You said "realistic war games". Unless your definition of realistic includes aliens, plasma rifles, a gun that shoots life and zombie cyborgs, none of the FPS games in my list are realistic. *post continues in this vein for a while*

*Rereads post* The word "realistic" appears in my post... zero times. Well, there goes your entire argument.

"endless clones of the same wargames".

If it is a war game, it must be about a war, otherwise it is simply an FPS.

If it is about a war, it will most likely be realistic. See where I'm going with this?

Also, everyone sick of this, I apologise on Axel's behalf for this.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:27 am

Illusionist wrote:If it is a war game, it must be about a war, otherwise it is simply an FPS.

If it is about a war, it will most likely be realistic. See where I'm going with this?

Errrr... I think so. Illusionist, not to be rude or anything, but you really have to watch yourself going through Albuquerque. :(
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Stardrake_ on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:37 am

What if the game was about some fictional war invented for the game and doesn't even pretend to take itself seriously?
"The conflict is not between Christianity and Islam or between East and West - instead, it is between stupid people and other stupid people." - Terry Pratchett

AKA Stellar_Dragon (lost when an attempt to change the linked email address went wrong) and Stardrake (obliterated in the Great Keenspot Crash of '03).

People who are fed up with unreadably small font may wish to look here. For those who POST such text, however, this is not an excuse. Surely 6-pt gets the point across without requiring shenanigans to read?
Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Department of Paranormal Zoology, Magitech Division, Funky Horror

Postby Illusionist on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:47 am

Note that I mentioned Halo. It takes itself somewhat seriously, but Bungie definitely have a sense of fun.

However, by and large, if it features a war it will be a real or potentially real war.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Stardrake_ on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:58 am

You must have a broad definition of 'potentially real'.

Lets say I made a game featuring a war between corn-people and pea-people in a world where gravity always pointed in the direction of your feet and where the means of killing the opposing side's vegetables was by hurling terrible puns at them. Now, it could potentially happen in some other universe, but it's hardly what most people would consider realistic. Well, apart from the killing-people-with-puns part.
"The conflict is not between Christianity and Islam or between East and West - instead, it is between stupid people and other stupid people." - Terry Pratchett

AKA Stellar_Dragon (lost when an attempt to change the linked email address went wrong) and Stardrake (obliterated in the Great Keenspot Crash of '03).

People who are fed up with unreadably small font may wish to look here. For those who POST such text, however, this is not an excuse. Surely 6-pt gets the point across without requiring shenanigans to read?
Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Illusionist on Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:59 am

Does that game, or anything like it exist?

When I said potentially real, I meant Call of Duty 4, or the Tom Clancy games.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Stardrake_ on Sat Sep 13, 2008 4:21 am

Not as far as I know... but it wouldn't surprise me either. Could be quite fun, actually...

Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:34 am

Stardrake_ wrote:Well, apart from the killing-people-with-puns part.

In my experience, the puns are more likely to cause other people to want to kill the punster. :( (I don't get it. All I did was ask an Egyptologist friend of mine if Middle Kingdom Egypt could be said to have been run on a pyramid scheme...)
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Stardrake_ on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:58 am

Aye. I keep thinking I should get one of those ticket dispensers like you get at the deli sections of the supermarket to give to people who declare a desire to kill me...

Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby yreomyr on Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:20 am

Stardrake_ wrote:You must have a broad definition of 'potentially real'.

Lets say I made a game featuring a war between corn-people and pea-people in a world where gravity always pointed in the direction of your feet and where the means of killing the opposing side's vegetables was by hurling terrible puns at them. Now, it could potentially happen in some other universe, but it's hardly what most people would consider realistic. Well, apart from the killing-people-with-puns part.

The veggie war has raged on for too long! Don't they understand that all anyone wants is some peas and hominy?
yreomyr
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive