TINS's Art Post (2009/01/18): Anniversary big pic!

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby thereisnosaurus on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:11 am

No thanks, :P. I get enough bad puns with HiT as an abreviation, thank you very much. You shoulda seen the IM's fly when I hit (there we go again) 100k hits. Much hitty hit hitness..
Know thyself, love thyself, be thyself

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sqauto on Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:55 am

Oh like you felt that was an issue (even from the females :P).
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Iiowyn on Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:52 pm

Ignoring the fact that Tedd and Grace are my favorite EGS characters and that song has also been stuck in my head lately, that is a very very good piece. I really like the rain and the reflected sky within the water.

The only issue is as you said, the perspective of the water/land transition.

I have a new background =D

Iiowyn
Iiowyn
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DasteRoad on Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:44 pm

I hadn't really taken a decent look to your fanart thread yet, TIN (for short... if you don't mind :P), and I must say I regret it. You have some nice stuff around here, I especially like your way you find just the right words to convey the feeling of a situation or a character. Also, I can see you've definitely improved lately, especially regarding poses, proportions and expression. Keep up the good work! :D

Also, regarding CGing, trust me, there's a lot of good reasons why DODGE and BURN tools are usually avoided like hell ;) (you mentioned it in one of your early posts)
They have the rather nasty tendency to make the colours all unconsistant, and can lead to very ugly and unnatural results if overdone. And overdoing with these tools is pretty easy. Also, dodge and burn modify the base colours in always the same way: red for instance just becomes a lighter or darker red. This can make a drawing look very flat, because on the same object highlights, shadows and main colour would have the exact same hue - which can be intentional in some cases, but it's very unreal.
So usually people prefer to choose by hand the colours they want for shading, so they can exactly obtain the effect they want without so much pining.

BUT! I'm not trying to be the naggy old teacher with you of course :D The reason why I wanted to tell you this, is that you are an excellent example of someone who uses dodge and burn, and manages NOT to ruin their drawings (like alas a lot of people do)! Actually they're pretty cool, and not unnatural at all! :D Just wanted to tell you that, well, there's a lot more to colouring than dodge and burn and you can learn a lot by experimenting, since you already have a very good base! ^^
Also, dodge and burn still have their use. For instance, dodge is commonly advised for highlighting wet objects ^^

Aw, sorry for the long rant, I hope I've not bothered you! And the last piece about Tedd & Grace is awesome, I love the atmosphere O____O
DasteRoad :: Colony Scribe, Victory Colony ::
Image Image Image
Yay for deviantArt! :: Current avatar courtesy of vampiress_kat :: WerePigeon467 is my sister. Yep, really! ^^

My EGS Fanfics :: Every Time She Closed Her Eyes :: Nothing at All
My EGS Sims :: It lives again! There's a brand new thread! OMG!!!
DasteRoad
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thereisnosaurus on Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:10 pm

heh, thanks very much :). I always enjoy praise from other artists (particularly ones as good as you ;) ), and I enjoy criiticism even more. As an example, Troy got on my metaphysical tail and along with another guy convinced me to start using cylinder dolls as an undersketch, which has caused another immense leap in coolness to manifest in my latest few strips (which sadly you don't get to see for like two and a half months. G'arned buffer. ) so if you have anything at all that you think could use work. TELL ME. please. Even if it happens to be the fact I fail at life and should be hung. That always motivates me :P.

As for your comments on the dodge and burn tools, I find them useful in a number of ways.

1) PURE dodge and burn I primarily use for casting stark shadows on something OR for shading/highlighting neutral brown, grey/black/white, blue and some greens. These colours take the burn and dodge tools well, and don't usually cause any major colour annoyances.

2) The thing I appreciate most now is the linear dodge mode in photoshop. This thing is AWESOME. You access it in the same way as screen/multiply and so forth, and can do so manually for ANY colour/pattern input tool, layer, layer style and so forth. The way I usually use it is to highlight by choosing the same colour the basecolour is, lightening it slighty, and soft brushing that at very low opacities. Comes out a treat. The other great way it can be used is for lighting effects, as you can tint the dodging process (so while a pure dodge tool lightens all the respective colours along their own tint scales, if you use it as a brush mode, with say a red brush, it lightens and slightly reddens everything. Stuff like this can look truly awesome, see this picture for reference

(spoiler warning, if you read HiT and don't want the story spoiled something chronic, do NOT look at this picture...)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/ ... 28prev.jpg

This is pretty much a gradient background, with clouds seeded in on a screen layer, followed by a lensflare on a linear dodge layer, which was then colour balanced further into the red/orange spectrum. I then reduced the lightness on the charaters and applied a gaussian blur to the linear dodge layer, causing it to overlap them slightly. more recently I've also used a linear dodge brush to emphasise the bloom effect so it looks even prettier.

Dodge and burn are AWESOME tools, so long as you learn where and how to use them (and don't OVER use them as I have a tendency to do). I generaly use a mix of those, transparent brushes with lighter colours and screen/multiply layers with white and black for my shading and usually it looks okay :)

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sqauto on Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:38 am

Like you haven't sent me enough spoliers of late. :P

And it is good to know that you got something from that meeting with Troy and myself.

*Kicks time since he hasn't had enough to try and draw.

Oh, and know that Troy wanted to head over to Canberra for a week so he could stay at your place and learn arty things from you (the simple version of it...but we all know that none of that would have happened and things would have lead to some good old drinking).
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby thereisnosaurus on Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:56 pm

aaand more. Big update this time. Since EGS got the last fanart, it's the wotch's turn, and since anne is going through a rough patch I thought I'd cook up something extra special since I totally failed to get her a filler done.
The result:

Wowcrack: now with extra webcomicozate-23. Guaranteed to have you higher than a stoner with a rocket strapped to his ass standing on mount everest in under 20 minutes...

As for the other stuff, for those of you who haven't noticed (i.e everyone except me and my gopher) my comic has undergone some major renovations recently and now doesn't look like the proverbial rear end of a male bovine lifeform. in order to further shinify it, I did up an extra three wallpapers for it.

Anyhow, check it out (http://thereisnosaurus.comicgen.com/) for extra goodies and so forth. It's still no EGS, but it's mine, and I love it :)

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thereisnosaurus on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:53 am

ok, I've kinda neglected this as I haven't had much EGS fanart done over the last month or so, but my next major piece scheduled is an EGS one, so I thought I'd bump the thread with some stuff I've been up to.

You can check out my deviant art account for more stuff, just put up five pics today. Username is thereisnosaurus there, too, so it's easy enough to find :).

However, here are the recent pics done. Two are too large to fit on the board, so links shall be used:

First one is my entry to the zap fanart comp- http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/thereisnosaurus/zapcompentry.jpg, I'm rather proud of this, though it did take forever to do:

Second one is a bit of fanart for pip of Sins: venials:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v485/ ... enials.jpg

Now onto the stuff we can fit on the page, sorta:

some inhuman fanart

An avatar commission for a fellow wotcher: (this is the preview WIP pic, not the final)

And last but by no means least, slapstick comedy road signs!

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby B.T. Isaac on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:11 am

Nice. Really nice.

Politicians crossing, do not slow. I so agree with that. Politics ruined my life.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Teleros on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:12 am

Nice work there TINS :) .

BT - only problem is if your car is travelling too slowly anyway - we need a "please accelerate" version ;) .
Teleros
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:35 am

thereisnosaurus wrote:Image

Damn...gonna have to back off the throttle a bit on my Bugatti Veyron, then... :P
RIMMER: "So, Lister, what are you telling us? You're a closet squirrel? Behind closed doors, you parade up and down with a strap-on bushy tail calling yourself 'Nutkin?'"
Dame HelenNet: "Damn you, ProfessorTomoe! You defeated me in the beauty contest, you shall NOT defeat me here!"
High Magister Marshmallum, Minister of FISH

Read the Professor's Wiki and visit his avatar and fanart galleries...but Beware the Seconding!
ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Beacon on Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:51 am

Your art's improved so much. And I loved the roadsigns.
I wonder if there's a place you could go to get those printed out to hang on your wall. I could print it out myself, but that'd just be paper.
Magnets would be cool, too.
Latest artwork: 04-30-2007 Feudal Link

ImageOriginal doll base copyright of Wayuki's Place
Knight of the Order of the Bunny
Fanart thread.

Chyuc kecig quuc vleag geh iea vi Urnemja Dei, vag meg vi Neamjis, vosuaco Yu urquuic hoor ryupo u mag! (Note: Small modifications have been made to keep this pronounceable.)
Munchkin Stats
Beacon
Keenspot Despot

Postby Teleros on Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:01 am

I'm sure there are businesses online able to do it for you ;) .
Teleros
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thereisnosaurus on Fri Apr 06, 2007 3:36 pm

check my deviant art account, I believe they can print stuff. however, depending on which one it is you particularly like, there might be some copyright issues. It shouldn't be a problem, but if I end up getting paid for someone printing one of my bits of fanart, I'll forward the money on to the person who owns the characters (they usually deserve it a lot more than I need it :) )

as for swag... well, we'll see. I'm planning on doing some merch when part 1 of HiT wraps up. Oh, and I get popular. That too...

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sqauto on Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:16 am

I think it is safer just to not make any fan art be made into a print unless the artist has given you the ok.
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Beacon on Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:23 am

For what it's worth, I was just talking about the signs. Specifically, I'd like to be able to make them either as magnets, or the big plastic ones you can hang on your door.
Latest artwork: 04-30-2007 Feudal Link

ImageOriginal doll base copyright of Wayuki's Place
Knight of the Order of the Bunny
Fanart thread.

Chyuc kecig quuc vleag geh iea vi Urnemja Dei, vag meg vi Neamjis, vosuaco Yu urquuic hoor ryupo u mag! (Note: Small modifications have been made to keep this pronounceable.)
Munchkin Stats
Beacon
Keenspot Despot

Postby thereisnosaurus on Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:24 pm

ah, IC, well, that wouldn't be much of a problem. Besides, they're cell images, and that means easy to print, so if you wanted to home print them, your basic home printer wouldn't have much of a problem.

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thereisnosaurus on Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:01 am

just a little update this time. I did some comp entries for SunMK of sailor sun for a charity auction event he's running in comic. Attending are Bay and Honey (his characters) and Karen and Lindsay (of Cheer!). The aim- design their dresses!

honey and bay

Karen and lindsay

And second another bit of whimsy on my part, my own character again.

Wallpapered. I've been wanting to use those lyrics for yonks, and will probably do so again when I have more time and am not so tired

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby B.T. Isaac on Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:06 am

Nice. Real nice.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby eternaljwh on Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:20 am

You remain in the upper echelon of the bunny artists!
eternaljwh
Keenspot Transcendent

Location: Utilizing cartoon physics to stay hanging one foot below the end of my rope.

Postby Teleros on Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:25 am

What those two said :) . Very nice work there TINS :D .
Teleros
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby A Fan on Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:16 am

Are those lyrics from "Stairway to Heaven"? Rockin'. 8)
For information on this and other subjects, consult your local ninja.
Best EGS Video. Ever.
Remember: You can't spell combustion without two O's
I had to remove my personality test graph from my sig. You can still see it by clicking these sentences.
If you encounter a strange symbol in my posts, it's from a glitch in my keyboard. I can't see them, so just ignore them. Fnord.
A Fan
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Axel on Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:48 am

Who shines white light and wants to show
How everything still turns to Gold
And if you listen very hard
The tune will come to you at last
When all are one, and one is all!
To be a rock, and not to roll!
If something I say offends you, don't get angry. It's never worth the effort. Just listen to this.

"I'm prepared to passionately argue this point until nothing makes sense anymore!" - RM, http://www.dndresources.com

Inventory: 1 proton pack, 1 ghost trap, pastry and fillet of sole, six empty Mt. Dew cans, 1 squirrel teddy, a TF gun, an Emu, and Occam's Razor. Not afraid to use them.

Currently bucking for a section-8.
Axel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Take me out to the black, tell 'em I ain't comin' back.

Postby Ankhareon on Sun Apr 15, 2007 3:18 pm

Those are really great, do you have a dA gallery?
[Bannerless bunny - I can make my own graphics]
The Forum Wars | My deviantArt
Ankhareon
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thereisnosaurus on Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:44 pm

yep, account name is thereisnosaurus. I haven't updated it that much though, I'm just starting to get into the habit now :)

@ everyone: thanks for the praise :) EGS will be in the next update...

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive