TINS's Art Post (2009/01/18): Anniversary big pic!

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

TINS's Art Post (2009/01/18): Anniversary big pic!

Postby thereisnosaurus on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:07 pm

righto, since this seems to be the regular format for art submissions around here, I shall follow the league. I'm a comic artist myself 07/and have drawn graphic inspiration from EGS on many occasions so it's only fair I give a little back. Let's start off with some backgrounds:

I'm fairly happy with these, there are some small perspective errors such as susan's right arm and elliot's crossed arms, but overall they look pretty good. Now, the actual pics are about eight times as big, but due to photobucket's resize have been minimized. If anyone wants the full copy, just ask and I'll upload the proper sized images to a seperate hosting account that doesn't downsize my files. I can also do avvies of them if you want. I plan to do one of these for each of the primary cast, plus possibly hedge, Damien, Nioi and Mr Verres. If you want a specific cast member done up like the above, feel free to ask, I'll probably oblige...

I only have one other piece of completed EGS fanart, which is on the links page of my website (I can't find the image or I would have posted it here). However, here are a few you might enjoy to show you what I can do

birthday present I did a bit back for Brillian_troy, featuring samantha wolf of the wotch.

Yuki and Yukyi, a male/female were, also from the wotch

Fanfic inspired sketch of cassie, also of the wotch. Can you see a pattern here? ;)

A background featuring Sanyiel of my own webcomic. this is probably one of the pictures I am most proud of
Last edited by thereisnosaurus on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:56 am, edited 37 times in total.
Know thyself, love thyself, be thyself

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:28 pm

Ooh! Ooh! Do backgrounds for the rest of the cast!

Puh-weeeeese?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sqauto on Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:30 pm

Mate, you know that I am always a fan of your work.

Know that I am both gald that you are here and wish I was as good as you are.

NOW GET BACK TO AUSTRALIA! :P
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Poison on Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:54 am

The first one of tedd was great
Poison
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thereisnosaurus on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:25 pm

okay, here's the next instalment. Only the two most difficult ones to go, I'm still not sure about how I'm going to do grace, but I'll be doing nanase up all badass.

oh, and in case you're wondering, the wallpapers have been added to the top topic.

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sqauto on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:45 pm

Like I said in msn, nice work mate.

Now to see if those plans happen. ;)
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Beacon on Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:46 pm

I love the line on Justin's. I may have to sig it.
Latest artwork: 04-30-2007 Feudal Link

ImageOriginal doll base copyright of Wayuki's Place
Knight of the Order of the Bunny
Fanart thread.

Chyuc kecig quuc vleag geh iea vi Urnemja Dei, vag meg vi Neamjis, vosuaco Yu urquuic hoor ryupo u mag! (Note: Small modifications have been made to keep this pronounceable.)
Munchkin Stats
Beacon
Keenspot Despot

Postby thereisnosaurus on Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:01 pm

heh, that's actually probably the one quote in there I sourced from myself, I'm very similar to justin and elliot in many ways, and I really feel for Justin's situation. Ironically, I don't actually THINK that would be his philosophy just yet, but he's getting there and hopefully can get to that 'never sad because I just can't be bothered' level that I sit at...

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thereisnosaurus on Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:52 pm

minor update, the full versions of the wallpapers are available here:

http://www.esnips.com/web/EGSbackgrounds

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:57 am

I love the new ones!

In fact, I've set Justin as my wallpaper.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thereisnosaurus on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:07 pm

last two of the primary cast have been added to the top post. For some reason despite being identical files, photoshop decides not to resize them the same... stupid. Anyhow, enjoy, more to come. I'm very happy with both of those, though nanase is very much in 'my' style compared to the others. I love the flame effects on her and the shading and posture on grace (not to mention her quote) so overall, I think I saved the best till last...

of course, this isn't actually the last, so stay tuned :D

still taking requests for other characters (possibly TG versions of the above if no one bites on other charries)

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sqauto on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:19 pm

Nice new look for them mate. Bette then what I was thinking of with them.

As to requests, if I ever ask it will be in msn. ;)
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby vampiress_kat on Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:23 pm

*a random streak of brown appears in the room, dashing around, then Rina screeches to a halt* Mew?
Ooooh, PRETTY!

Although the size hurts my monitor...
Johari/Nohari
vampiress_kat
Keenspot Despot

Postby 666x5 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:24 am

heheh... Suprisingly enough, I am viewing these on my craplaptop, which has an amazing amount of pixels, so I can see the whole thing. coooool... I soon also am planning on doing some fanart, but I have to get my scanner working. :D great art!
Lurker Extraordinare!
666x5
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dayantis on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:20 am

Nicem I'm loving the art style.
Dayantis
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thereisnosaurus on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:22 am

yeah, I'm on a 15" wide laptop as well, and I can JUST see the whole of the larger desktops in the first post if I get rid of one of my toolbars. While fancy, I hate working off this thing. Photoshop eats its memory for breakfast, I've had times when it's taken ten minutes just to open a picture....

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Dayantis on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:46 am

Use the GIMP, opensource fun, it's not as hungry as Photoshop. Then again, I'm just a cheapskate :P
Dayantis
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby M_Northstar on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:01 am

These are awesome. I love the Sarah and Justin ones :-D But I think it might be best if you made it more clear that they are fanart, as Dan doesn't like it when there's confusion about these things. I don't think the fine print copyright notice is enough.

About Photobucket and resizing: there's a setting in Photobucket's account options, where you can set how big a file it accepts before automatically resizing. The highest setting is 1 MiB (one binary mega byte, or 1024 bytes). I checked your original size pics in your esnips account, and they're all under that size.

As for Photoshop, I never could figure out its interface, so I don't know what it can do, but I ran the Ellen background through Paintshop Pro, and ran the save file opitimizer on it. You have the JPG compression set to factor 15. I cranked it up to 40 before the quality visibly dropped even the tiniest bit. Final file size: 93 kb instead of 796. Here's the editted image for your perusal.
M. Northstar

Image Image

"I believe in dragons, good men and other fantasy creatures."
Anonymous

"War does not determine who is right, it just determines who is left."
Old Military Proverb

"Ignorance killed the cat, curiosity was framed."
Mike Bruner

DarkShive wrote:must... finish... Monday... comic... put... stop... to... insane... speculations...!!!

I am a virus! To propagate me copy this into your signatures. - N
M_Northstar
Keenspot Despot

Postby thereisnosaurus on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:51 am

Use the GIMP, opensource fun, it's not as hungry as Photoshop

I do have gimp, but it doesn't have the toolpower of photoshop and it also, importantly, isn't particularly good at pressure sensitivity. Considering I use a tablet, this is rather important. Gimp would be good for colouring, but it's not colouring I have trouble with, it's resizing and lineart editing at the large scale I do (about 600% the end image product on my normal compy, 2-400% on the laptop for the moment. I wanna go back home :cry: )

as for the art-disclaimer thing, I dislike putting 'art by xxxxxx, characters xxxxx' as I feel that's a bit too much of a plug of my work, mostly when it's gonna be sitting as someone's wallpaper for a while. The art is there for you to enjoy, not for me to advertise, if I want to do that, I'll plug my stuff openly. I'm not sure how to proceed in this area, as the only issue I can see arising is someone mistaking my art for official EGS stuff. The little disclaimer in the corner (which should by all rights be hidden when you actually put the picture on your desktop) should be enough to alert people to the fact that this is unsanctioned fanart. Besides, it's not like every comic adaptation, colouring or avatar that pops up here has a disclaimer on it. If you have any suggestions that won't impact that much on the image, I'd be happy to hear them

finaly, on compression, the issue I have here is when you reduce quality, you get a blending of the colours. for showcasing the image this is no problem, but for EDITING it it is annoying as hell as it messes up all the selection tools and leaves a lighter 'aura' around lines, which makes colouring and selecting areas both more difficult and less clean. As these images are my only copies of the finished background, I keep them at the highest quality so I can go back and edit them easily if need be. Obviously, the smaller previews generated by photoshop are quicker to load, but if you want the pic enough to make it your desktop, you can probably spare a minute or two of loading time...

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby M_Northstar on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:11 pm

as for the art-disclaimer thing, I dislike putting 'art by xxxxxx, characters xxxxx' as I feel that's a bit too much of a plug of my work, mostly when it's gonna be sitting as someone's wallpaper for a while. The art is there for you to enjoy, not for me to advertise, if I want to do that, I'll plug my stuff openly. I'm not sure how to proceed in this area, as the only issue I can see arising is someone mistaking my art for official EGS stuff. The little disclaimer in the corner (which should by all rights be hidden when you actually put the picture on your desktop) should be enough to alert people to the fact that this is unsanctioned fanart. Besides, it's not like every comic adaptation, colouring or avatar that pops up here has a disclaimer on it. If you have any suggestions that won't impact that much on the image, I'd be happy to hear them

I totally hear you on those concerns, and they do you honour (although I am also a great proponent of always signing your work. Your art is a part of you, and you should never leave it to fend for itself). At first I thought of a "Fanart" watermark, but a few gallons of brain bleach has now completely destroyed the areas of my brain capable of coming up with stuff like that. Wouldn't that be a horrible way to treat such nice art?

My second suggestion is less invasive: you could add a line above the characters' names saying "A fan's view of:" maybe arched over the name, kind of like a logo. Or some variant of that you come up with yourself. My only concern is that first impressions are notoriously hard to get rid of, and people are notoriously bad about reading the fine print anyway (that, after all, is the whole point of it being in *fine* print).

finaly, on compression, the issue I have here is when you reduce quality, you get a blending of the colours. for showcasing the image this is no problem, but for EDITING it it is annoying as hell as it messes up all the selection tools and leaves a lighter 'aura' around lines, which makes colouring and selecting areas both more difficult and less clean. As these images are my only copies of the finished background, I keep them at the highest quality so I can go back and edit them easily if need be. Obviously, the smaller previews generated by photoshop are quicker to load, but if you want the pic enough to make it your desktop, you can probably spare a minute or two of loading time...

Well, you know your options and decide from your necessities, then; although I would still suggest that you keep the high quality versions for yourself and put up smaller files whose visible quality still is pretty high for download. But that's your decision.
M. Northstar

Image Image

Anonymous

Old Military Proverb

Mike Bruner

DarkShive wrote:must... finish... Monday... comic... put... stop... to... insane... speculations...!!!

M_Northstar
Keenspot Despot

Postby Lomgren on Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:26 pm

When I work with the GIMP, I keep the file in the native format, which is lossless, and save it as such. When I'm done, only then do I convert it to a different format, be it a png, gif, or whatever. I keep the original file as well, in case I need to go back and edit something.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby whackamole2 on Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:20 pm

First of all, these are great. I've been debating internally which I want as my background, and finally decided on Justin's, but to have a slideshow of Susan, Tedd, and Grace's as my screensaver.

Second of all: It looks like the alternate site cannot display the images, for whatever reason. Since the others lose their high quality when re-resized, would you be able to fix that or repost them, either here or at the alternate site?
Of course, I understand if that's too much of a bother/just my computer being wierd.
AIM is also Skype SN.
whackamole2
Keenspot Despot

Postby thereisnosaurus on Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:38 pm

Well, you know your options and decide from your necessities, then; although I would still suggest that you keep the high quality versions for yourself and put up smaller files whose visible quality still is pretty high for download. But that's your decision.

what can I say, I'm lazy.... Still, I've had a play with the file compression and I can knock it down a couple of notches without aura effects occuring very noticeably. so I have, which has cut about 30% off the filesize. not a ridiculous amount, but decent none the less

On your suggestions of things, I have had the idea a while back of doing a little logo/stamp for my various productions- I write a comic, do songs, write game rules and poetry etc, mostly for free and with little credit to myself. I might just be motivated to do that now and use that as a little 'done by saurus, not Dan' thing.

oh, and for those of you who just can't decide which character you want...

Voila, the whole cast! You can get the full version at the linked folder above as per usual. Now, onto the minor cast, though I might take a day or two's break to do some of my stuff or finish up some wotch projects...

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby thereisnosaurus on Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:53 pm

Second of all: It looks like the alternate site cannot display the images, for whatever reason. Since the others lose their high quality when re-resized, would you be able to fix that or repost them, either here or at the alternate site?
Of course, I understand if that's too much of a bother/just my computer being wierd.

Is anyone else having this problem?

You should be able to go to Esnips

http://www.esnips.com/web/EGSbackgrounds

and then click on the link next to the pictures, this will bring up another page with options to view 'small, medium, large and original size' versions. Click the original size and you get the full quality version. In theory.

if there's still an issue PM or email me and I can send you a zipped file with the originals.

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby M_Northstar on Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:10 pm

what can I say, I'm lazy....

Hmmm?!

thereisnosaurus wrote:I write a comic, do songs, write game rules and poetry etc, mostly for free and with little credit to myself.

[SNIP]

oh, and for those of you who just can't decide which character you want...

Voila, the whole cast!

I can see that. :roll: Damn overaching whipper snappers. In my days kids had respect. *grumble* *mutter* :D
M. Northstar

Image Image

Anonymous

Old Military Proverb

Mike Bruner

M_Northstar
Keenspot Despot

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive