TINS's Art Post (2009/01/18): Anniversary big pic!

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby thereisnosaurus on Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:05 pm

fulgrim is a sephiroth style pretty boy who all the other primarchs think is gay, and roboute, like you say, is a naggy yet reasonably nice git.

Curze is the creepy guy with palid skin and a slight cough (if you've seen the original comics, he's one of the first you meet :P)

Mortarion is the flatulent kid and perturabo is a skinhead.

All the primarchs are basically parodied on a 'high school archetype' (russ is the biker tough yet jovial guy, sanguinius is the charismatic band leader type and horus is the new kid)
Know thyself, love thyself, be thyself

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Tue May 01, 2007 7:05 am

I think you can change "all the other Primarchs" to "The entire human race"

Sounds great, can't wait to read it.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby thereisnosaurus on Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:09 am

woah... it's been a while. A real while, like three, four months. Eeeeesh... well, time to fix that *whips out tablet* Let's get it OOOOOONNN!!.

First up is the reason I'm dredging this post. I wanted to try the traditional method of tablet colouring and didn't want to do one of my own charries, so, remembering my lack of EGS goodness recently, I decided on that badass lady, susan mckickypants. Normally I colour using a pencil inking stage (so I can just paintbucket fill each area of colour on the same layer as my lineart without having to worry about darned anti-aliasing lines and yucky stuff. This time however, i went for the traditional hard brush, doing the colouring on a seperate layer. I'm not really sold, as it takes significantly longer than my usual method, for not much of an improvement (though it is there). Anyhow, enough ranting. Enjoy. Don't mess with the lady...

Funnily enough, looking back at my thread so far, I noticed that it's been almost exactly one year since I drew my first picture of susan- this:

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is living proof that ANYONE can learn how to draw. One year....

In saurus tradition, this pic will be wallpapered tommorow, if you have any preferences for size, position or background colour, get in early.

So, having sated your EGSophillia, let's move on to some other stuff I did...

Another pic I did as a kind of random improvement comparison, this time anne of the wotch variety, still managed to screw up her legs and neck

A bit of fanart for a fellow australian webcomic, the foxfire chronicles. it's a goody, particularly for you furry types, check it out:

An EGS forum exclusive. Part one of my own little comic finished yesterday (so now would be a VERY good time to start reading, hint hint, prod prod :P), and part 2 is starting on the first of october. I haven't released this pic anywhere yet, so here's a little preview that might get you interested:

One last one, one of mine again- *my* anne this time

this is the second pic I did using the hair shading method you can see on the above susan. I've been deliberately trying to make sure Anne and susan look a fair whack different as I don't want to be accused of plagiarizing, as they have both similar looks and personalities. except for the facktSusan kicks Anne's butt :3

Well, that's enough for tonight, not much to show for three months, but hopefully keeps your appetites whetted :)

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kalga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:21 am

I can't really see Susan in that pose, but the art still kicks ass.... and you have come a pretty far way in just a year... and now, I must save your comic, to be read after I finish Ctrl+Alt+Del and applegeeks Lite....
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Cheez on Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:51 am

Nice! You have definitely improved, indeed. I like. Congrats.
Cheez
Keenspot Deity

Postby Kalga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:05 am

It's true! Webcomics are artistic steroids!
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Sqauto on Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:55 am

HE LIVES (other then on msn :P)!

Good to see you posting some more work mate, and that Susan image has shown how well you have grown as an artist of late.

As to the FoxFire comic, will you be making an image to use for the link section of your site?
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Kalga on Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:08 am

Wow... I like a couple of your old backgrounds, if they were a bit better drawn.... I like the Rumisiel one....
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby thereisnosaurus on Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:37 pm

wallpaper as promised. The mural is copypasted from dan's latest filler. I used the same colouring method for the background and I gotta say, I like my original better :P

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Loztein on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:12 pm

WOW I must say your art is great!

And the Wallpaper? Aside from the slight pixelation of the Mural it looks superb! And Now that I've had a chance to look at your comic (and see some of your earlier art) I must say you have gone quite aways.

Keep up the good work, oh and as for the Susan and Anne issue, I think they look quite abit different, like they could be related if they were in the same reality but that's it, they look quite different.

Oh and I must mention that I truly like how the Hair shading came out, especially on the background version of the Susan Pic, it's very stylized and rather breathtaking, in general it adds a very nice one-of-a-kind touch that I think worked quite well with the rest of the background.
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Quote of Boredom: "Great, now we’ve got a mummy on the loose, and the son of a b**** knows how to drive a stick"
– Burton Guster, from Psych
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: A time someone of my sort just does not seem to belong...

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:49 pm

Loztein wrote:Oh and I must mention that I truly like how the Hair shading came out, especially on the background version of the Susan Pic, it's very stylized and rather breathtaking, in general it adds a very nice one-of-a-kind touch that I think worked quite well with the rest of the background.

What he said. :D :D :D
RIMMER: "So, Lister, what are you telling us? You're a closet squirrel? Behind closed doors, you parade up and down with a strap-on bushy tail calling yourself 'Nutkin?'"
Dame HelenNet: "Damn you, ProfessorTomoe! You defeated me in the beauty contest, you shall NOT defeat me here!"
High Magister Marshmallum, Minister of FISH

Read the Professor's Wiki and visit his avatar and fanart galleries...but Beware the Seconding!
ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cheez on Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:11 am

Froggin' awesome.
Cheez
Keenspot Deity

Postby Kalga on Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:33 am

I like the death aura behind Susan in the background.....
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby thereisnosaurus on Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:12 am

not really a death aura, more a kind of negative glow. It does look ok though. I'm trying to think up what to do next, any suggestions?

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: TINS's Art Post (30/08: Badass susan and more!)

Postby thereisnosaurus on Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:55 am

Given EGS's 7th anniversary is just around the corner, I thought I'd whip up a bit of art, since it's been a little while between drinks

Thanks to troy for poking me a bit to get this done

It's been a hoot (literally sometimes ^^) so here's to another seven years of insanity. Keep up the good work Dan!

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Re: TINS's Art Post (2009/01/18): Anniversary big pic!

Postby Tarvok on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:08 am

Was I hallucinating, or was that picture posted by a different account only moments ago? :-?
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby thereisnosaurus on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:32 am

it was, troy ninja logged on on my computer and I didn't notice >>

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ineluki on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:43 am

That looks friggin awesome! :D
Only critic I can bring forth is that Ellen's beam looks a bit... too solid.
But I absolutely love their expressions. :3
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby thereisnosaurus on Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:41 am

I actually usually do my effects more, well, shiny and energy-ish-like, but dan does his more solid traditional cartoony style, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Given it's nothing like what I usually do, I think it turned out ok...

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Celtic Minstrel on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:49 am

Whoa, I wish I'd noticed this thread earlier! It's mostly different art from your Wotch forum thread...
Image Image Image Image
Fire pentacle from xtremepyro; resized by Tyris
Gragak's inventory
Celtic Minstrel
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive