Tensh's fan "art": We're on a mission from Tedd.

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby Weep on Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:54 am

[quote="xyzzy_n"]C[?] = ?<sub>1?i?n</sub> (L<sub>i</sub>[?]
Meganekko-sense...tingling...
My fanstuff and art thread.
"Bunion Memorabilia" - Professor Tomoe
Wannabe-member of MOOMANiBE's fang club.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby xyzzy_n on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:26 am

Weep wrote:Are you trying to convince him of the benefits, or scare him away?
Wasn
Free stuff: The GIMP for images, Audacity for sound, Firefox for browsing the WWW (and Gopher!), OpenOffice.org for
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Weep on Tue Mar 07, 2006 5:58 am

xyzzy_n wrote:By the way, I used some Unicode characters there. The equation is much more readable (and quotable!) if one refrains from viewing/posting it in a forty-year-old character set.
Hum. It displays just fine - when I specify "Unicode (UTF-8)" in my browser (Safari 2.0.3) it displays improperly. Back to the default (Western [ISO Latin 1]), it even displays correctly in the (quoted) text field - but as soon as it goes through to the forum software....

[quote]Anyway, I
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby xyzzy_n on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:19 am

Weep wrote:as soon as it goes through to the forum software....
Yeah, that seems to be the probable problem. Obviously when coding a forum system it is more important to make sure that three dozen emoticons
Free stuff: The GIMP for images, Audacity for sound, Firefox for browsing the WWW (and Gopher!), OpenOffice.org for
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Weep on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:41 am

xyzzy_n wrote:I used some CSS to tell Firefox not to show them when posting.
So, do you simply see nothing, or does it show the text which would have otherwise called an emoticon?

Either way, I find they're often indispensable for determining the meaning of posts written by a user who includes emoticons...even just showing the text isn't enough, since often a forum's particular emoticon graphics may tend toward subtleties different from the "standard", or the text may be nonintuitive - :okthen: for example.

Hm, I suppose it's the latter of my presumed options, since you used one yourself just a few posts ago in this thread...

Art by Tench? What's that? Image
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby xyzzy_n on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:47 am

Weep wrote:So, do you simply see nothing, or does it show the text which would have otherwise called an emoticon?
Nothing. I
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Weep on Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:50 am

[quote="xyzzy_n"]Nothing. I
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby xyzzy_n on Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:38 am

Weep wrote:Oh wait - did you mean that your CSS hides them when viewing posts, or simply the bar to the side when posting?
The latter (for now). So that this is not completely vaporous, behold my userContent.css:
[code]/* kill quoted quoted quotations */
table.forumline td.quote td.quote td.quote { display: none !important; }
/* kill those quotations
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Atashi-Cloud on Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:44 am

you called?

I like seeing new artists...always....even if I've been 'too lazy' to do any of my own art lately..^^; glad to see there are so many artists popping up here.
Current Avatar: Lapis O. Rimewing, lined by Sanchay, colored by me.
Youtubez; Oh hey, an LP by me! Youmu Konpaku: Swordswoman of Awesome Nyan-cat Miku style
"Contrary to popular belief, THE INTERNET IS NOT SERIOUS BUSINESS." --- Kalga
"Your mistakes were twofold, I'm afraid. You sprung your trap without looking to see if the game you hunted was the one you'd snare. And you sold me short. I'm no thief. I'm a Sky Pirate." --- Balthier
Y'know, I thought I'd be angrier, what with the utter humiliation and loss of my tail. Or maybe I'm just so unbelievably enraged that I've come full-circle. ---Vegeta, DBZ Abridged
Atashi-Cloud
Keenspot Deity

Postby Tenshisama on Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:21 pm

So, if I need to, I'll look more in depth into the whole file format thing. In the meantime, I'm going to look at your avatars and imagine that Ellen and Nanase are fighting over me. Yes....that's what is happening.....

Anyway, I did a real quick fancomic inspired by this thread about the most recent filler. It was a rush job, but it turned out ok. I'll mess with it more in the future, after I get GIMP set up. But in the meantime, here it is.

That's a button in panel two.... [3/7/06] (yes, it's still the seventh here)

Look! It's a .png! I don't know if that's any better than what I had been doing....but it's a .png!
Inventory: One unopened, 2006 vintage Ellen and Nanase celebratory champagne, courtesty of Steven Jester, an one shiny venus-form TF cookie, courtesy of Dan.

Bored? contribute to the FAQ or go comment on my fanart!
The jokes aren't that bad, I promise!
Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby xyzzy_n on Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:44 am

Tenshisama wrote:So, if I need to, I'll look more in depth into the whole file format thing. In the meantime, I'm going to look at your avatars and imagine that Ellen and Nanase are fighting over me. Yes....that's what is happening.....
Heh. That works too.
ROFL!
Look! It's a .png! I don't know if that's any better than what I had been doing....but it's a .png!
PNG is lossless and thus lacks compression artifacts. That makes post-processing much, much easier:

By the way, have you tried using The GIMP yet? (Pencil shading works too, but it
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenshisama on Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:31 am

First things first, it frightens me that you somehow knew that my backpack while in high school (which I based that picture off of) was green. It was a kind of faux army knapsack thing I had going on.

Anyway, I've got GIMP up and running, and I've found a few utilities already that I wish I had available before (pattern fill is going to be my friend, I can tell...) but I can also tell that I'll need to take some sort of class to know what %80 of those tools do.

Anyway, after figuring out how to scan in gimp, here's what I got. I scanned it in greyscale, which did a great job on it's own of eliminating my eraser marks and smudges made by the heel of my hand...

Pounce

I think I managed to do this without compressing it at all. When I saved it, it popped up with a bunch of checkbox options, most of which I had no idea what they meant. I moved the compression slider from 9 down to 0, because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time. The file ended up at 8 megs. So I cropped off all the white space to try to reduce the size of the file, and it somehow ended up at 12 megs. After playing around with it, and deciding that shrinking the overall proportions of the image down probably wouldn't hurt, I got it too a size that imageshack would accept.

For anyone following this thread to see where this train wreck goes next, I've drawn a picture to practice one point perspective, and it features a joke that maybe, just maybe, two of you will get! I just need to work with this GIMP thing a bit more.
Inventory: One unopened, 2006 vintage Ellen and Nanase celebratory champagne, courtesty of Steven Jester, an one shiny venus-form TF cookie, courtesy of Dan.

Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby xyzzy_n on Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:27 am

Tenshisama wrote:First things first, it frightens me that you somehow knew that my backpack while in high school (which I based that picture off of) was green. It was a kind of faux army knapsack thing I had going on.
Many people do, hence my choice. :P
Anyway, I've got GIMP up and running, and I've found a few utilities already that I wish I had available before (pattern fill is going to be my friend, I can tell...) but I can also tell that I'll need to take some sort of class to know what %80 of those tools do.
Until then, use the other 20%. Many tutorials on colouring drawings exist on the WWW; you might want to search for some. Some of those are also linked from varying threads in this forum. And, of course, you should not hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
I think I managed to do this without compressing it at all.
Er, yes. Yes, you did. However, PNG compression is actually lossless
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tenshisama on Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:47 pm

That backpack must be more popular in other areas outside my school. I don't think I ever saw anyone else in high school using one, and several people remarked to me how they hadn't seen anything like it. I guess that's what I get growing up hippie in preppie suburbia.

Anyway, I don't know if this is a utility in GIMP or not, but how would you do speech and thought bubbles in GIMP? Failing that, how would I draw a circle/oval? There wasn't exactly a button on the toolbar like there is in paint... :-?

I made a picture to practice my one point perspective. I'm rather happy with it. It's rare for me to step back after I'm finished and think "Hey, those things look like the things that they are! Sweet!" I'll explain the joke below. Even I think this one is obscure.

Would you like to take a survey? [3/9/06]

Alright, here's how the joke goes:
Most of you probably know the development of the "vurn" as a forum joke. It's a pottery hybrid between a vase and an urn. What does one keep in a vurn? Counter-surveilance equipment. What does counter surveilance equipment do? Survey counters.

There was an episode of Animaniacs a while back where the three were walking around a mall, but couldn't shake these two old ladies that kept trying to get them to take a survey. All the questions on the survey involved some combination of movies, George Went, and eating beans. (would you like to eat beans while watching a movie? would you like to eat beans with Geoge Went? Would you like to eat beans while watching a George Went movie?)

Obscure? Yes. Funny? In my head at least. It served it's purpose, though. That purpose being something for me to draw with lots of square corners.

Notes/Questions:
*It would have been nice to add glass glare to the grandfather clock, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I found an effect that made it look like I was looking at the clock through class, but not that the clock face was made of glass. I know it's in there somewhere, though.
*Do you shade using the burn tool? That's what I used on the vurn. I was just wondering if there is a preferred way.
*I can't decide if the tile looks right or not. It looks wrong at first, but then the longer I look at it, my mind starts to rationalize that it could be right.
*Next time, don't get cute and try to show texture on carpet. Just color it enough to show that people aren't walking in the dirt like my Sims and leave it alone.

Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Weep on Thu Mar 09, 2006 8:49 pm

Tenshisama wrote:What does one keep in a vurn? Counter-surveilance equipment. What does counter surveilance equipment do? Survey counters.
Arrrrrrrgh. :roll:

Notes/Questions:
*It would have been nice to add glass glare to the grandfather clock, but I couldn't find what I was looking for. I found an effect that made it look like I was looking at the clock through class, but not that the clock face was made of glass. I know it's in there somewhere, though.
No need for filters or special effects, you can just draw it in and/or shade it in when coloring. A slight diagonal jaggy-type effect is often used in cartoon styles to show glass reflections. Check out Tedd's glasses for an example. If just doing it through shading, a slightly opaque hard brush set to white color would do the job.

*Do you shade using the burn tool? That's what I used on the vurn. I was just wondering if there is a preferred way.
I don't usually, but it's a valid way, sure. (Usually I use a combination of layers in Photoshop, which should also be possible in the GIMP.)

*I can't decide if the tile looks right or not. It looks wrong at first, but then the longer I look at it, my mind starts to rationalize that it could be right.
As the angle at which you're looking at something becomes more glancing, the narrower the object becomes in terms of image proportions in the direction of distance. Right now, your tiles would be long rectangles if you rotated the view to look at them from straight above. Try dividing them twice as frequently in the distance direction - that is, put in additional horizontal lines in between the ones you already have. I think that'd be closer to a perspective view of square tiles.

If you were to ask how to figure out the proportions for perspective views of things...well, I'm sure there's a way, but I don't know it. :P I have a bit of an innate sense for it though, from my background in other media.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby ssokolow on Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:03 pm

pngcrush is pretty much dead but OptiPNG is not and it does an even better job.

I suggest combining it with AdvPNG (from the AdvanceCOMP toolset) to get even smaller. (AdvPNG works by stripping out unnecessary meta-information and then recompressing using the Deflate engine from 7-Zip, the best Deflate compressor currently available.)
== For the record: ==
As long as they're civil, I welcome PMs from anyone and everyone.
I use Gentoo Linux with a KDE desktop... heavily customized
== Quotes: ==
"I'm aware this is a comic with weresquirrels and magic, but that would have made no sense whatsoever." -- Dan Shive
"Out of all of this, I have become completely convinced of one thing: some omniscient being is playing Yahtzee with fate here." -- Midnight_zephyr
"What about painting my house an ugly color, spilling ugly photons on your land?" -- Tim Lee
I has a cookie.
ssokolow
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tenshisama on Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:41 pm

So, yeah, I haven't put anything in here for a while, but I have been doing stuff. I'm sure you were all very concerned :roll: so I thought I'd put up a few things I did the last couple of weeks.

This one is self explanatory, so long as you've seen the movie:

We're on a mission from Tedd.

It's hard to make Ellen and Elliot recognizable when you put them in different outfits, then put them behind dark glasses and hats. You can't see the trademark Dunkel shark-fin, or recognize their clothing. Oh well. That's Ellen and Elliot. Suspend disbelief on my behalf.

This next one came to me while at work.

Sarah in a bunnysuit!

I'm sure a few of you saw that coming. In case you're wondering, the gortex suits people wear inside cleanrooms are called "Bunny suits" for some reason. They are very baggy, and not flattering. I just thought that since Sarah would never wear the other type of Bunny suit (outside of that one filler), it might be funny to do a bait and switch of sorts.

There's supposed to be a plastic shield in front of her mouth...I'm not sure if it shows up at all.

The last one is about me. I don't know if anyone else does this, but I've separated all the obsessive, cynical, self-critical, doubting, sarcatic thoughts that nag me into the category of "my brain talking". I actually have some interesting arguments with my brain. I usually lose, but at least I can think of myself as a cheerful, optimistic person with an overactive, evil brain. That's not weird, right?

I'm hoping someone here can recognize the shirt I'm wearing

By the way, I'm fully aware that there are girls on the internet. There is no need to show me examples of girls on the internet to prove that Rule #1 of the internet is wrong. Remember, my brain is cynical, and thinks everyone is just trying to steal my credit card number and flood my inbox with spam. That's why most of the people who leave random messages in my myspace mailbox don't get responses. My brain convinces me it's a guy, and he's up to something.

I experimented with different methods of drawing the hair. I'm pretty happy with panel 4.

Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Loztein on Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:39 pm

I learned something NEW! I did not know that the gortex suits people wear inside cleanrooms are called "Bunny suits!!!" Yay, I love learning new things, especially since-Well, now I don't really get the We're on a mission from Tedd one.... Explain to me please? In case I missed something on the art, I sort of skimmed through them all, Dinner's right about... Now, don't 'cha know.
Atleast I got Chicken.
Urbaniacs!
Brains
Quote of Boredom: "Great, now we’ve got a mummy on the loose, and the son of a b**** knows how to drive a stick"
– Burton Guster, from Psych
Loztein
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: A time someone of my sort just does not seem to belong...

Postby Tenshisama on Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:00 pm

Renkore wrote:I learned something NEW! I did not know that the gortex suits people wear inside cleanrooms are called "Bunny suits!!!" Yay, I love learning new things, especially since-Well, now I don't really get the We're on a mission from Tedd one.... Explain to me please? In case I missed something on the art, I sort of skimmed through them all, Dinner's right about... Now, don't 'cha know.

Yep. I have no idea why they are called bunny suits, but they are. Note the filename on this one...

The "We're on a mission from Tedd" joke refers to the movie The Blues Brothers. One of the reoccurring lines form the movie is "We're on a mission from God", as their goal in the movie is to raise $5000 quick so a Catholic orphanage where they grew up doesn't get shut down.

Late in the movie, Elwood sneaks into the RV of "The good ole boys", who are out to get revenge on the Blues Brothers for something that happened earlier in the movie. He uses an industrial strength epoxy on both sides of the accelerator, so that when driver floors it in an upcoming car chase (the greatest car chase in cinema history, by the way) his foot is stuck to the gas petal, and the petal is stuck to the floor (resulting in the vehicle running out of control). After Elwood applies the glue, he walks out of the RV, shows the glue to Jake, and says "This is glue. Strong stuff."

So the joke is, Elliot and Ellen, on a mission from Tedd, glue bunny ears to the jock's head while he's asleep in school. Glue is strong stuff.

Tenshisama
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Donaby on Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:41 pm

Great, I can get pop culture references. But only if they are more than 20 years old.

*edit, forgot to add. good job, very funny and nice progress with your art*

Don, feeling decrepit
AV from http://www.flipsidecomics.com

"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." Friedrich Nietzsche, On Reading and Writing
Donaby
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Arkantim on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:21 pm

The shoulders look similar to the uniforms on the troops in Perfect Dark(N64 version) but I have no idea what the rest of the shirt is supposed to be.
<delurk>
Javascript.makePost();
</delurk>

Newbie pack:
1 cookie wrapped in shiny plastic, 1 dead fish, a six-pack of unlabeled soda, 1 squirrel teddy, TF gun, and a demonic duck plushie (Lomgren's special addition)
Arkantim
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sky Render on Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:46 pm

I think Intel coined the term "bunny suit" to describe those, back in the days of the first Pentium chips. That would've been around... what, 1995 or 1996? I seem to recall seeing a presentation about it back when I was in junior high, for Take Your Kid to Work Day.
Sky Render

Sanity is for the weak.

Sky Render
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive