FanMusic - Grace's Theme: Finished for Dan's B-day

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby 10.0.0.1 on Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:39 pm

Sqauto wrote:Ah, thats better info (I wasn't thinking that). But like I said, you may need to get version 10 one of these days (just leave the download on over night if on Dial-up :lol: ).

As to being on Dial-up, I say nothing :evilgrin: .

Well I get 44-46K, which is pretty good for dialup. 44 is great compared to 28, it is like night and day (but it is still dialup :grumble:)
I have my cache set fairly high as long as a large image is always loaded from the same place it is not a big deal.
I have used WMP 10 on other computers, and it just does not offer anything I need.
*vainly attempting to get back on topic*
the midi version reports as the correct length, and is nice for dialup because the file size is so small.
FerretBob: The angry young lady with the hammers is 10.0.0.1
Yun in regards to my RP style: Like the RP equivalent of AC/DC... you play the same character every time, but she's a great character, so we don't mind ^_^
BinaryWraith (Steph from classmates): That was wierd. Not 'sweet transvestite' wierd, more 'sitting in a belltower with a rifle, singing "I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts"' wierd.
binarywraith: What the loligoth. :)
Jonixlord: Does it bother anyone that a girl RPing a guy is getting into a relationship with a guy RPing a girl? just curious.
From Aspects Chapter 8: Ten watched the professor with utmost caution. She trusted this man about as far as she could throw him. Which, given her upper body strength, or lack thereof, wasn’t very far at all.
Yun: Riten himaini ni-Ten, den risenka nige himai (Person-writes not-well Ten, but person-thinks he well)

Kraggi: The fact that you're insulting a majority and not a minority does not make it any more tasteful.
Keenspot Deity

Postby FerretBob on Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:11 am

Curse you writing what I had done already and doing a helluva better job. Admittedly mine was justa bass solo it wasn't intended to be anything like a peice of background music. maybe just something to play when she's a mopey squirrel (I'm still happy that I got blues guitar sound out of my bass :evilgrin: )[/url]
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams"

"Some people never go crazy... What truly boring lives they must lead" - Blackie Lawless
FerretBob
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cyril on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:22 pm

You did get quite the sound out of your bass... however, a good bass solo is nice and groovy... (which admitedly I am still working on)

here it is! http://www.acelie.com/cyril/temp/gracedemo.mp3

EDIT: I left in a hurry, but this is my bass solo rendition of Grace's theme (mainly because of FerretBob) Don't worry, not trying to replace you or anything...

EDIT EDIT: Do me a favor, and tell me if I am on the right track with Grace's theme, it is very pared down, (acoustic guitar, melodic instrument) but it should give you a pretty good idea of what I am going after. It's the same link.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril's Mad Music "It may look like crap, but it sounds sooooo good!" In some altrenate universe! >_>

My sucky Fanmusic thread! (why didn't I think of Putting it in my sig before?)

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby common svensson on Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:50 pm

I love the hookline-melody! Really catchy and stirring (i don't know if that's the right word). You're definitly on the right track... Maybe the guitar should also play that melody from time to time?

On a sidenote, sometimes the flute sounds a little annoying (it's them high notes all the time), the way it is right now, it doesn't mix very well with the guitar (i couldn't help but imagine you strumming away on your guitar and playing the flute at the same time :D). But I blame it all on the demo recording. Just polish the sound a little, and this could be really great!

Looking forward to your progressions :D
Image Image
My DeviantArt account
ChibiChibiChibi...

don't ask me
ask the ministry
common svensson
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Beacon on Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:45 pm

Finally got around to loading this onto my iPod and listening to it. I think it works well for Grace. It's energetic, yet serene at the same time. I think it would work pretty well for her character theme in the RPG. It reminds me of Gau's theme in some ways.
Latest artwork: 04-30-2007 Feudal Link

ImageOriginal doll base copyright of Wayuki's Place
Knight of the Order of the Bunny
Fanart thread.

Chyuc kecig quuc vleag geh iea vi Urnemja Dei, vag meg vi Neamjis, vosuaco Yu urquuic hoor ryupo u mag! (Note: Small modifications have been made to keep this pronounceable.)
Munchkin Stats
Beacon
Keenspot Despot

Postby Windzarko on Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:47 am

Illusionist wrote:I'm getting very strong Final Fantasy vibes from this. That's not a bad thing, however. Final Fantasy music is the third best game music, in my opinion. It comes after Castlevania and F-Zero, but before Megaman and Zelda.

I agree with it having strong FF vibes, and that is definetely a good thing. However I think it is heresy to say that F-Zero's music is better (dunno about Castlevania, haven't played it a long time, can't remember).

Love the music, I think it fits Grace quite well, when she's not TF'd in anyway.
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Level 13 Bunny with 4520 XP

Support the chance of Firefly Season 2!

Munky yawns... it's super effective!
Windzarko
Keenspot Despot

Postby Cyril on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:07 am

Perhaps I should specify... This is Grace in base form... or maybe non-caffineated squirrel girl form... I think I may make a "hyper-Grace" song at some point. But that will be comparitively easy. (Techno Dance Music anyone?)
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril's Mad Music "It may look like crap, but it sounds sooooo good!" In some altrenate universe! >_>

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Estelendur on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:07 am

Me likes. ^_^

The flute-y sounds are a bit grating, however. Not sure how to describe the issue... Then again, my wooden flutes sound like that whatever I do. What instrument was used for the melody?
My newbie pack: a cookie, a dead fish, a six-pack of unlabeled soda, squirrel teddy, TF gun, some brain glue and a rusty hacksaw.

My gender=none of your business. Use whichever pronoun you like when referring to me.

Image Image
As of Aug. 10, I have 1100 exp
Estelendur
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cyril on Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:53 pm

A plastic recorder. In the final mix, I will be using a soprano sax to play the melody... hopefully it will sound better.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Estelendur on Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:20 pm

Ooo. I knew there was a reason I didn't like them plastic ones. Wooden ones are so much nicer-sounding, but horribly expensive. 'S why I asked for one for Christmas. :D

It ought to sound much better on a sax.
My newbie pack: a cookie, a dead fish, a six-pack of unlabeled soda, squirrel teddy, TF gun, some brain glue and a rusty hacksaw.

My gender=none of your business. Use whichever pronoun you like when referring to me.

Image Image
As of Aug. 10, I have 1100 exp
Estelendur
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cyril on Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:09 am

I finished Grace's theme (although I have gotten comments that it doesn't fit Grace) for Dan's Birthday, I didn't know if I should have posted this in a B-day thread or not, but here it is anyway!

It's about 3:39 long and is about 3MB. I hope you all enjoy it, it took me all day yesterday to get this complete for Dan's Birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN!

Grace's Theme - Squirrel Girl
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Circe on Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:32 am

Cyril wrote:I finished Grace's theme (although I have gotten comments that it doesn't fit Grace) for Dan's Birthday, I didn't know if I should have posted this in a B-day thread or not, but here it is anyway!

It's about 3:39 long and is about 3MB. I hope you all enjoy it, it took me all day yesterday to get this complete for Dan's Birthday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN!

Grace's Theme - Squirrel Girl

Very cool! I think there's a happy bounce to it that suits Grace very nicely. The slower sections have me imagining her & Tedd together....awwww... :).

You used Cakewalk? I played with a version of that years ago to help with practicing guitar....I might have to look at it again now that my kids are starting to learn.

Good work, Cyril!
"I do not dwell on the past, dahling, it distracts from the now."
- Edna Mode, The Incredibles

"The world is a mess and I just need to rule it."
- Dr. Horrible, Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog

Silly, amateurish artwork available at deviantART.

Got a SecondLife? Find me there as "Circe Silvera"!
Circe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Weep on Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:53 am

Nice! I'm rather too sleepy at the moment to make any judgments on how appropriate or not it is for Grace, but I thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. :)
Meganekko-sense...tingling...
My fanstuff and art thread.
"Bunion Memorabilia" - Professor Tomoe
Wannabe-member of MOOMANiBE's fang club.
Weep
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:26 am

Windzarko wrote:
Illusionist wrote:I'm getting very strong Final Fantasy vibes from this. That's not a bad thing, however. Final Fantasy music is the third best game music, in my opinion. It comes after Castlevania and F-Zero, but before Megaman and Zelda.

I agree with it having strong FF vibes, and that is definetely a good thing. However I think it is heresy to say that F-Zero's music is better (dunno about Castlevania, haven't played it a long time, can't remember).

Love the music, I think it fits Grace quite well, when she's not TF'd in anyway.

Heresy? Perhaps. I just happen to have a soft spot for driving songs.

Grace's new theme's good, by the way. The guitar right at the beginning and end sounds like Crowded House. Crowded House rule.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Xiroth on Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:21 am

I like this one. Nice work :)
Xiroth
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby common svensson on Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:42 am

Whoa, I'm impressed! Well done, Cyril! As I said before, I like the melody... and I think the music, being both gloomy and cheerful, captures the two sides of Grace (troubled past, bubbly present) very well. The tempo could be a little higher, though; But maybe that's just me :).

Nice use of toms/kongas/low bells (don't know the instrument), introduced at 00:32 - they add a funny groove to the piece :D.

Is it all synthesizers, or did you also use some "real instruments"? (I hope this doesn't sound like I'm complaining, which I'm not...).
Image Image
My DeviantArt account
ChibiChibiChibi...

don't ask me
ask the ministry
common svensson
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cyril on Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:08 am

As much as I would have liked to (trust me I would have loved too) record some live instruments, I was not able too, for some reason it kept cutting out when I was trying to record the bass part and guitar part. So I had to try and sequence some realism into the piece.

EDIT: Also, the latin percussion used was (starting at when they first appear) triangle, windchimes, vibraslap, congas, bongos.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CK on Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:21 am

Hey, Cyril, I listened to your song last night. I do think that it's a pretty good interpretation on Grace's normal, sweeter side. I don't think there needs to be a seperate song for her squirrel form, because a personality is always a personality no matter the phyiscal shape.

The song I am writing is much more trancy/techno, not only because my program is best for that but it's I'm kind of putting a sci-fi interpretation on EGS.
CK
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cyril on Wed Mar 15, 2006 1:41 pm

Thanks, yeah, I don't think that there is anything wrong with doing a trance soundtrack thing, I just am a more rock/pop guy.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CK on Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:11 pm

Yeah, it's a whole different style and ability. BTW I sent you an email regarding your site.
CK
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sanchay on Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:43 pm

*Brings the thread back to life* You shall not die, little thread! Mwah!!!

Sorry about that... ^^;
DBZ Abridged wrote:Chichi: Did you have to carry a child around inside you for nine months with a husband that literally thought there were Cinnabons hidden in your shirt?!

Images are clickable.

ImageImage
Sanchay
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Cyril on Mon Mar 20, 2006 5:22 pm

May I ask why? Just curious!
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Cyril on Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:51 pm

Excuse my Double Posting. This is not a bump, but a message for... partially my inadequacy as a musician.

These themes will probably only reflect one side of a character. The beautiful thing about Dan's characters is that they are extremely hard to pigeon-hole... nay I would go so far to say that they are impossible to pigeon-hole. I mean, you can pigeonhole his characters, but that would not do them justice.

When I first posted a "Grace's Theme" it was almost exclusivly Bubbly Grace. To be certain this is not all of Grace, although it is her dominant Trait. This led to me composing the second one that is what you hear now, it is quite obvious that it had the happy Grace as the main part of it, but it also included a slightly darker section, this was a refereance to her dark past and to her Lespuko Heritage.

I will try to make my themes encompass as much of the person as I can. However, I am (once again) quite inadequate, and I depend on input from you folks about whenether I hit a particular emotion/feeling/character trait on the head musically. Soon, I will be posting something I have been working on for a very long while now with Joan. This will be a grand medley that is supposed to tell the story of Painted Black in a musical setting.

Thanks.
HAHAHAH! I have musics!

Cyril
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby kinkoblast on Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:25 pm

Cyril: It's good! Speed it up by 150% and you have CaffiSquGrace :P As for emo Grace... move the whole thing into minor and slow it down. This hits most of Grace though. I don't hear Jeremy-Grace though! (Kidding)
Current Form: I don't bother keeping track anymore. I think I'm human, and I MIGHT be male, but who really knows anymore?
---Below this line is my "global" stuff---
If you need to IM me, use Jabber! kinkoblast@jabber.org
kinkoblast
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive