Squato's Music Video Thread (Updated 16/10).

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby cmdrrickhunter on Thu Jun 15, 2006 3:44 pm

No idea if anyone's even reading this anymore, but I figured I'd post a small critique.

I don't know whether or not movie maker has the option, but some transitions are very good at getting a particular feeling.

The one that drew my attention as having potential is at 4:04. The song is going from a droning build from almost nothing to a fortisimo chorus, your images are transitioning from one of the cuter side episodes in EGS that I've found to the main theme (a rather serious one).

for this transition, you used a simple fade in-out from black. My first instinct when I saw it was "CAMERAFLASH!" This moment calls for a cameraflash transition, where you have a very sharp fade to white right as the chorus starts, followed by a slow decay as "the eyes slowly recover from the flash." It matches the mood, and it matches the music (cameraflash transitions work well when a song ends a long build with a solid hit to a crash cymbal).

I don't know if movie maker even offers control like that. And ceratinly dont take this too harshly. The movie was inspiring enough to make me go back to working on a java movie editor I was working on (hopefully something you could use!). I'd love to see what you could do when handed professional quality tools!
cmdrrickhunter
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sqauto on Thu Jun 15, 2006 11:45 pm

Interesting to note that, which is something that I may take a look for (when free again). But I have to ask, which editing program are you using, as I make take a look at it then.
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Sqauto on Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:50 am

Wow....I let this fall to page 12....I must do something to bring it back like add a new video....

Oh wait...I DO!

Linkin Park- Krwlng

YouTube

Download

22mb

This is an idea that I have been playing with for at least a few months since I started to feel that I could have done the "Everything Burns" video. By that I mean make Damien look more human as he fell.

Now normally I do not go back and remake a video (I'm not Mr Bready :P), but it was somethign about this song that made me want to give Painted Black another go in the hope of making something different then I had in the first place.

Now I could go into more details (and I'm sure someone would want them), but I will say who I have to thank with this. That is Ferret and Lommy.

Now Ferret I have to thank as he was the one who linked me onto this song in the first place when we had some chat about music at least 4-5 months ago (can't remember more then that). NOw he sent me the YouTube link to a video that used Teen Titans (a show I have not seen), which was made well with the song Krwlng by Linkin Park (video has since been pulled). Now I told him that it was giving me an idea for a video, but needed the song for it, help he also gave me when he sent me the song. The sad fact is that I had to sit on this for a few months (I was going to make a video for the party, but my orginal idea will not work). So thank him for that little help then.

Now Lommy is a person that you really need to thank for this. For it was he that made the great edits that you see in the video (help which I would never be able to do for a long time at his level). Now I know I was a pain to ask him, but he was more then happy to do it, and get nothing more then knowing how to use The Gimp out of it. It is a shame that some of his edits either didn't get used, drops, or I forgot to place them in (sorry mate). Still, that didn't stop him from editing the video so that you can download it as a DIVX file (see above).

So then, this has been a while, but I do hope you enjoy it.

EDIT: Fixed download link.
Last edited by Sqauto on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Csegg on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:57 am

Not bad one of the better ones ive seen out there.
( \_/ )Vote for EGSImageUltimate EGS Music Video
( O.O)[HOPE] WARNING: YOU HAVE SWITCHED TO MANUAL BREATHING
( > <)Uryuomoco Translator
ImageImage
Csegg
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Steven Jester on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:27 am

Good work all of you! :D

Hmm.... I have an idea for what to do after I'm finished with THE PROJECT!!! :evilgrin: :evilgrin: yes.... THE PROJECT.... :evilgrin: :evilgrin:
Inventory! One Noob Pack containing...
Chocolate-Chip Cookie
Dead fish.
A six-pack of MountianDew
One Squirrel Teddy.
A TF Gun! -- I can have fun with this! ^_^
A Quantum Singularity from FaweFC44!
My Kidney....
TF Gun Kamikaze Add-On
A Roasting Spiquet and portable fireplace courtesy of my Quantum Singularity. (I can't vouch for the permance of this item or any item that spews from the QS)

Official Provider of the Champagne for Major Storyline Celebrations.

Official Ellen/Nanase Shipper

Unofficial Justin/Susan Shipper

July 21, 2007 - The Saga concludes... Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
Steven Jester
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Lomgren on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:42 am

Good to see it finally up... I will say that as I watched it the first time, I had shivers going up and down my spine.
"Illustrious 'Lommy' Lomgren" - anti-paragon, "The Doer of Impossible Things" - Demonic Duck
(Got pulled in by the GPF guest strips. Read the archive in one night, getting 2 hours of sleep)
Image Image
Epic Patrol Bunny artist and avatarist, 12867 bunnypoints (version 2.8, Oct 31, 2006)
Image Image
My inventory ... Where I finished reading carrot..?
Avatar drawn by KillerFish, colored by me. Thanks!
(banners clickable!)
Lomgren
Keenspot Singularity

Postby FerretBob on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:50 am

DUDE.... just...dude...

dude...

I like
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams"

"Some people never go crazy... What truly boring lives they must lead" - Blackie Lawless
FerretBob
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby common svensson on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:43 am

good to see you're still doing videos... That's some intense imagery you got there, the edits definitely helped! Not really my music (never heard that version, btw), but still - good job!
Image Image
My DeviantArt account
ChibiChibiChibi...

don't ask me
ask the ministry
common svensson
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby thereisnosaurus on Mon Oct 16, 2006 8:56 am

very impressive, been looking forward to this 'un and you certainly didn't dissapoint. The lead in period is a touch long, but it's cool, so that's allright. The only thing I can really complain about is that it's just frame switches for almost the entire film, the only interesting bits cinematically are the flashing text bubbles and the zoom on damien's fist... Given the amount of fighting and movement in many of the scenes I think this detracts from it a bit... but still... Awesome :D

And kudos to the others who helped out as well... Specially Lomgren, awesome work on the panels there :D
Know thyself, love thyself, be thyself

thereisnosaurus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby AndersW on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:17 am

I can't get the download to work, It just sends me to a page to get a FREE collector's-account, and won't let me download anything.
DarkShive wrote:As delightfully twisted as the idea of Lisa being Grace's daughter is, it's definitely not true.

"Growing old is a fact of life, Growing up is optional." -me
"Runs with road flares" :lol:
AndersW
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sqauto on Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:17 am

thereisnosaurus wrote:very impressive, been looking forward to this 'un and you certainly didn't dissapoint. The lead in period is a touch long, but it's cool, so that's allright. The only thing I can really complain about is that it's just frame switches for almost the entire film, the only interesting bits cinematically are the flashing text bubbles and the zoom on damien's fist... Given the amount of fighting and movement in many of the scenes I think this detracts from it a bit... but still... Awesome :D

And kudos to the others who helped out as well... Specially Lomgren, awesome work on the panels there :D

Oh, I know what you mean by that. The problem is that the images are up too short for transitions (or like) too really work. Yes they would have been nice, but the image that is only up for 1/12th of a second would be lost that way.

As a note, that very reason was something that two people have given to me in msn as to why they felt it could have been better. As the example, they point out the work of common svensson.

AndersW wrote:I can't get the download to work, It just sends me to a page to get a FREE collector's-account, and won't let me download anything.

Yeah, I'm not sure why that is the case.

This is the message I get for the the video.

Thank you for your upload. Remember that only those people are able to access your files knowing the exact link.
RapidShare is a file-hoster and does not announce your files anywhere.

Get a FREE collector's-account now! You have many advantages by creating a collector's account.

I'm looking for something else to change it to if Rapidshare looks to have finally gone to the dogs.
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby xyzzy_n on Mon Oct 16, 2006 12:47 pm

There
Free stuff: The GIMP for images, Audacity for sound, Firefox for browsing the WWW (and Gopher!), OpenOffice.org for
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Taigan on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:09 pm

Wow.

Not my favorite genre of music but I can't complain about the results!

What specifically to say? Well it was a nice touch to have the picture go fuzzy whenever that static effect happened in the song. And the song really captured the mood of the series.

I think I've said before a key difference between our video styles is I tend to hit the audience over the head with the lyrics to the song while you use the nuances of the music to get the point across. So I almost didn't register the line "...these wounds will not heal" with Damien.

Very, very nice. I applaud.
"Reality is just raw material." - Safe Havens

I forgot my watch; but time will happen to me anyway.
Taigan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby WMS on Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Oooooooooh...niiiiiiiiiice....*drool*

Hey, I thought the song worked well with the images. ;)
In and out, here and there, to and fro, on and off.
*Original Vladia Fanboy* ^_^
Illusionist wrote:Accidentally transsexual ex-vampires make the best psychiatrists.
*Keeper of the Flowery Backgrounds* :D
DarkShive wrote:"Flower backgrounds in EGS signify a moment of romance, attraction, joy, beauty, etc. Note that it does not necessarily mean love or even lust, or at least not love in the sexual sense."
:o :D :wink:
WMS
Keenspot Despot

Postby KillerFish on Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:59 am

Noice (note. deliberately misspelled for added effect)

Anybody else get a Lord of The Rings vibe from the begining?
The Honorable Right Reverend Lord Sir Killerfish of the KeenFans, Knight of the Bunny, Teacher of the Ars Largomorpha
My Squires: matthlord, Dayantis, FerretBob and Squato
"Alas, poor Daffyd, I know him OzLionHeart...
Condolences to all who knew him, and apologies...
I didn't know he was going to absent mindedly walk between Squata and I...
During our battle for supremecy over the universe...
But if I had, I still would have done it...
I owed him £5" - FerretBob
KillerFish
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sqauto on Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:31 am

[quote="xyzzy_n"]There
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Dayantis on Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:34 am

I thought I posted here before. Must've 404'd and I closed the tab. Ah well, just one of those things.

Either way, I just wanted to say that this is great and gives good emotional perspective on Damien's character.

Also, GO LOMMY GO! :D

I think you should've used the LOTR theme music, though. :wink:
Dayantis
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby xyzzy_n on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:27 am

They ask you to create an account, but they don
Free stuff: The GIMP for images, Audacity for sound, Firefox for browsing the WWW (and Gopher!), OpenOffice.org for
xyzzy_n
Keenspot Despot

Postby Sqauto on Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:49 am

Oh no, it's just a case that the there was nothing there other then asking me to join. I don't know why hte site was acting like that, but it did.

Still, you can find the REAL download link as soon as I get it up (as soon as I edit it in).
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive