Is Nanase christian?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby Windzarko on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:05 am

Wearing the cross doesn't necessarily make her christian or overly religious; at this moment, I am wearing two necklaces, one of which is a Maori Jadestone charm, and the other is a derpcounterfeits of Griever, Squall's necklace from Final Fantasy VIII. Yet I am neither Maori nor Squall (wish I was; he gets the girl without even trying, plus is a total hardass). See what I mean?
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Level 13 Bunny with 4520 XP

Support the chance of Firefly Season 2!

Munky yawns... it's super effective!
Windzarko
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raemon on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:38 am

Red hair: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_hair

According to that, Red hair is basically from Northern Europe, most commonly Ireland, Scotland and Northern England. There is also some redheads in asia, but it didn't say anything about Japan, so I think we can rule that part out.

The Red hair basically means nothing though, since hair color in EGS is pretty wacked out anyway.

Basically, it's the fairy spell that tips the scale. Though it could have just been a random spell she learned, I think it would make sense for her to have some kind of celtic heritage. That heritage could have been from a few different places in the area, but I personally think the cross + the fairy spell suggests Irish ancestry + Catholic background in the immediate past. The red hair is just icing on the cake.
Raemon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby 86' BF Injection on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:53 am

Poison wrote:yeah but that would take forever to prepare

those are my normal clothes.
tairing up washington beach till rub out.
86' BF Injection
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Free Radical on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:06 am

Raemon wrote:According to that, Red hair is basically from Northern Europe, most commonly Ireland, Scotland and Northern England. There is also some redheads in asia, but it didn't say anything about Japan, so I think we can rule that part out.

Eastern Europe and Scandanavia were also mentioned as having significant populations of redheads. Incidentally, Japan was actually mentioned: 'Red hair can be found today from North India, Iran and Pakistan, where it can be found most commonly amongst those of Iranian descent, such as the Pashtuns, all the way to Japan.'

Raemon wrote:Basically, it's the fairy spell that tips the scale.

I wouldn't have made that connection - as far as I recall the daoine sidhe of Irish mythology bear very little resemblance to Nanase's fairy doll form.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

Postby Raemon on Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:21 am

I know that Irish fairies don't really look anything like modern conceptions of them. But I made the connection anyway. All of our theories can easily be ground to a halt by the fact that Dan's world clearly isn't identical to our own. But I know that if I had been writing the story, that's the direction I would have took, so it was what made most sense to me. (I won't claim there's enough evidence to make any kind of definite statement, but the facts that I can see, when compiled together, seem to me to point collectively towards the Irish Catholic idea).
Raemon
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Poison on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:36 pm

86' BF Injection wrote:

Right... (backs off a bit)
Poison
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby 86' BF Injection on Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:44 pm

Poison wrote:
86' BF Injection wrote:

Right... (backs off a bit)

joking. i normally wair a red t-shirt(even in winter) with blue jeans. sneakers are optional.
tairing up washington beach till rub out.
86' BF Injection
Keenspotter Supreme

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive