Is Nanase christian?

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Postby kalikajira on Thu May 05, 2005 12:10 pm

Just read that stupid, stupid, STUPID tract, and noticed a little foot note where he called C.S. Lewis's books occult books. Chick is an official whackjob. If you don't know why I say this, check out Mere Christianity or, heck, the whole Chronicles of Narnia series. This kind of trash is the reason I said I don't consider Chick a true Christian.
CI in the Order of Jubal
EXP: 810, Hyper Bunny
Starter of Bunny Leveling
I will not PH34R.
L33t is the brain killer.
L33t is the bastardization that brings an end to communication.
I will ignore the l33t.
I will allow it to go unanswered and unacknowledged.
And when I look back to see where the l33t once was, there will be nothing.
Only language will remain. ~Litany against L33T by Lone Wolf

Please don't feed the Free Radicals. ~ me to EGS Newbies
kalikajira
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby psirrow on Thu May 05, 2005 12:21 pm

Lewis's books are some of the best stuff I've read with the overt christian slant. Not the sort of stuff that tries to convert everyone at the first word, but are simply intelligent books that have clear analysis of the christian beliefs.
Sometimes I wonder if I scare people.
Those moments of doubt don't last long.
psirrow
Keenspot Despot

Postby bunnyThor on Thu May 05, 2005 12:25 pm

psirrow wrote:Lewis's books are some of the best stuff I've read with the overt christian slant. Not the sort of stuff that tries to convert everyone at the first word, but are simply intelligent books that have clear analysis of the christian beliefs.

Maybe it's because I'm not a Christian, but I read those books and even knowing that they were supposed to be some sort of Christian allegory, I never saw anything that jumped out and smacked me on the head.

Either it's subtle, or I'm sufficiently ignorant of the requisite dogma. I don't rule out either.
bunnyThor
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby psirrow on Thu May 05, 2005 12:52 pm

It's subtle and focuses on the ideal goal as opposed to criticizing how we fall short. I particularly like the Space trilogy by Lewis (Out of the Silent Planet, Paleandra, That Hideous Strength). It's core Christian philosophy without the parts which I consider most offensive. (Personally, I don't like the sorts of people who confront you at the supermarket.)
Sometimes I wonder if I scare people.
Those moments of doubt don't last long.
psirrow
Keenspot Despot

Postby ProudOddball on Thu May 05, 2005 2:36 pm

I'm not observant enough to have something to say about Nanase, so I'll talk about another of the topics here. C. S. Lewis is subtle, which is good. Except his book about the end of Narnia. That's not as subtle.

By the way, Chick is a devil-worshipper. Sure he doesn't know it, but Satan's the great deciever and all. Come on, read some of his stuff. Isn't it obvious he serves the devil?
ProudOddball
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kizor on Thu May 05, 2005 3:25 pm

Can't say I know enough about the devil to make judgements like that. And I have to agree about Lewis being awesome. To be fair about the last book, though, it's kinda hard to write about the end times and keep it subtle.

The last time I got preached at outside the local supermarket (by a Jehovah's Witness) I had a pretty nice short chat and ended up taking a couple of pamphlets to see how they were written. I'm weird, though.
Kizor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby madbob on Thu May 05, 2005 3:32 pm

Death Mage wrote:I think we can all agree that Jack Chick is best left ignored.

Imagine the heart attack he'd have reading EGS!

...I've never heard of this guy, but I don't like already...the thought of somebody forcing their religous beliefs on me makes so pissed...sometimes I want to tell the JW that come to my door at 7:30 AM once a week that I'm just about to do my daily human sacrifice, so come on in and join in!
There are three kinds of people, the one who learns from reading, the three who learn from watching, the rest of them figure it out after they pee on the electric fence...
madbob
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Beacon on Fri May 06, 2005 8:19 am

madbob wrote:...I've never heard of this guy, but I don't like already...the thought of somebody forcing their religous beliefs on me makes so pissed...sometimes I want to tell the JW that come to my door at 7:30 AM once a week that I'm just about to do my daily human sacrifice, so come on in and join in!

Great responses for people attempting to convert you:

In general:
* Tell them that you worship the great Glamdragin. Try to convert them.
* Tell them that you worship Gandalf the White. Try to convert them.
* Tell them that you worship Tom Cruise. Try to convert them.
* Tell them that you once followed the path of God, but you got a little obsessive, and He filed a restraining order on you.
* Ask them for specific dates for Jesus's return. Tell them you want to make sure you don't have anything planned for that day.
* Act like they are literally trying to sell you something, but pretend to be interested. Inquire about return policies, competitive pricing, etc.
* Ask if their religion comes with a dental plan.
* Say you're interested, but you'd like to speak to the man in charge personally before you make any life-altering decisions. Tell them that if God is busy, you'd be willing to talk to Metatron instead.
* Press them about specific, mundane aspects of their church. When do they have bingo games. Do people bring good food to the potlucks. Things like that. Pretend that these little details are the only things you really care about in a religion.
* Confuse their religion with another, like the Amish. Refuse to accept that you have your facts wrong. "Are you sure you're not the guys who refuse to use buttons?"
* Ask them if they still do witch burnings. Act disappointed when they say no.
* Constantly interrupt them with long rambling stories, ideally working off some tangent to what they were talking about. War stories are great if you have them. If not, pretend you served in World War II.
* Stare. Try not to blink.
* While they're preaching, snigger. Periodically mutter things to your companions like "And they bought that?"
* Hit on them. Works great if they're the same sex.

If they come to your house...
* Answer the door wearing a clown suit, a dress (if you're a guy), or some other rediculous/unusual outfit.
* Answer the door wearing a bathrobe, a towel, your underwear, or nothing at all.
* Jerk open the door and shout "I'll tell you nothing!"," You'll never take me alive!" or something along those lines. Pretend to calm down but still be edgy. Apologize to them and tell them you were expecting someone else.
* Answer the door with a knife, or, if you have it, a sword (or axe, or whatever). Works well in combination with the previous method.
* Answer the door with something ludicrous, like an apple strapped to your forehead. Don't mention it. If they ask about it, pretend to have no idea what they're talking about.
* Wear scrubs, surgeon mask, etc. Ideally have red stained gloves on. Act irritable and tell them to make it quick, as you were in the middle of something.
* Answer the door in red-stained clothing, ideally with a knife with fake blood on it. Act irritable and tell them to make it quick, as you were in the middle of something.
* If you have a dog or a cat that you don't mind being outside, let it escape. Force them to help you look for it.
* Pretend to lose a contact lense. See how long they'll help you look for it.
* Pretend they're the babysitter you were waiting for.
* Pretend they're an old buddy. Invite them in for drinks. Whenever they try to talk about religion, insist that they chug a beer "for old time's sake."

If they ask you "Have you found Jesus?"...
* "Yes, I keep him locked in my basement. Would you like to see?"
* "No. Is there a reward offered?"
* "No. Have you filed a missing Saviors report?"
* "I know how you feel. I lost my dog last week."
* "Y'know, I think I last saw him hanging out with the Buddha, maybe you should ask him."
* Press them for details as if he was a lost child. Ask where he was last seen, what he was wearing at the time, etc.
Latest artwork: 04-30-2007 Feudal Link

ImageOriginal doll base copyright of Wayuki's Place
Knight of the Order of the Bunny
Fanart thread.

Chyuc kecig quuc vleag geh iea vi Urnemja Dei, vag meg vi Neamjis, vosuaco Yu urquuic hoor ryupo u mag! (Note: Small modifications have been made to keep this pronounceable.)
Munchkin Stats
Beacon
Keenspot Despot

Postby Kizor on Fri May 06, 2005 8:22 am

You've got me imitating the German in Monty Python, gasping "It's not funny!" while killing himself with laughter.
Kizor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Erik Mesoy on Fri May 06, 2005 10:23 am

Do you mind if I say "Me too!"? FUNNY!!!

I'm an evangelical Christian, and I STILL think these are great! :lol:

kalikajira wrote:noticed a little foot note where he called C.S. Lewis's books occult books. Chick is an official whackjob.
Ok. I had never seen that before. :o Chick was already an official whackjob and a laughingstock (*points at whole thread*), now he's just insane. In a bad way. So insane that even the EGS regulars, who checked their sanity at the newbie thread, can't recognize his thought-patterns.

I suggest we move to Mayhem for all this crap. Chick is officially insane, let's have a thread for laughing at him.
Erik Mesoy
Keenspot Despot

Postby JusticeZero on Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:22 am

kalikajira wrote:Finally, I do not consider Jack Chick to be a true Christian.

Please don't try to apply the True Scotsman Fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman). That fallacy annoys the heck out of me.

There's no such thing as a "true" Christian as a rule, because it's quite easy to satisfy the basic definition of the term. If I go to a bowling alley and throw a ball down the lane, at that time I am a "bowler", even though I frankly am not very good at it.

Jack Chick is a Christian, as have been a number of other nasty and odious people. This is not saying that anyone who considers themself Christian is like Jack Chick et al., it is merely acknowledging that the term "Christian" encompasses a whole lot of different kinds of people. While you may dislike sharing a category with them, you lack the authority to offhand co-ercively re-define the English language itself to fit your personal preferences.
JusticeZero
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby 86' BF Injection on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:49 am

JusticeZero wrote:
kalikajira wrote:Finally, I do not consider Jack Chick to be a true Christian.

Please don't try to apply the True Scotsman Fallacy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman). That fallacy annoys the heck out of me.

There's no such thing as a "true" Christian as a rule, because it's quite easy to satisfy the basic definition of the term. If I go to a bowling alley and throw a ball down the lane, at that time I am a "bowler", even though I frankly am not very good at it.

Jack Chick is a Christian, as have been a number of other nasty and odious people. This is not saying that anyone who considers themself Christian is like Jack Chick et al., it is merely acknowledging that the term "Christian" encompasses a whole lot of different kinds of people. While you may dislike sharing a category with them, you lack the authority to offhand co-ercively re-define the English language itself to fit your personal preferences.

bump to the future part II?
tairing up washington beach till rub out.
86' BF Injection
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Darekun on Mon Aug 07, 2006 4:51 am

I'm Eristic, and I'd like to echo the thanks for rationality and respect in handling this potential landmine.

That is all.

Thank you.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby 86' BF Injection on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:13 am

Darekun wrote:I'm Eristic, and I'd like to echo the thanks for rationality and respect in handling this potential landmine.

That is all.

Thank you.

ouh e ouh-e-ah ting tang walla-walla bing bang. oh ah oh-e-ah ting tang walla-walla bing bang.

no seriously, what does your post mean?
86' BF Injection
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Sanchay on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:25 am

DeaExMachina wrote:Considering that the cross predates christianity by upwards of 2000 years, she may be choosing to not ditch the cross for reasons her mother may be ignorant of.

Actually, Christianity was there before then, too, just by a different name. Judaism.

Please don't kill me if this has ben said already, I don't have time to look through all the pages on this... T_T
DBZ Abridged wrote:Chichi: Did you have to carry a child around inside you for nine months with a husband that literally thought there were Cinnabons hidden in your shirt?!

Images are clickable.

ImageImage
Sanchay
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Darekun on Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:59 am

86' BF Injection wrote:(snip)
no seriously, what does your post mean?

On the second page, several Christians thanked the forum for not turning this into a flamewar. I thought it would be nice to echo the sentiment from someone with closer ties to the other side of such a flamewar.

If, OTOH, you needed a definition of "Eristic", I follow Eris, the goddess of disorder in the Discordian model. Discordianism advocates(sort of) a balance between order(Aneris) and disorder(Eris), to promote the creative over the destructive. It also opposes dogma, as do I. While I don't believe in Eris, I don't think she cares much either way.

Definitely not a religion for everyone, but as a wise Scotsman once said, "If we all liked the same things, there wouldn't be enough haggis to go around.".
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby 86' BF Injection on Mon Aug 07, 2006 8:39 am

you know, i love that word. "Eristic". i just love the WOOSH! sound it's meaning makes as it files over my head.
86' BF Injection
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby soiducked on Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:24 am

Free Radical wrote:
Dahak wrote:A implies B does not mean B implies A.

Remember implication is not equality.

I didn't say that it was, I'm merely pointing out that red hair is so uncommon here in Ireland that it's unlikely to make it probable that someone with red hair had Irish ancestors.

Dahak wrote:I.e. Redheads have a relatively high probability of Irish ancestry but Irish Ancestry does not mean your hair is most likely red.

I don't know where you're getting your information (or for that matter what country your information is for) so I can't really argue with you, but could you clarify what you mean by relatively?

well, for one thing, Ireland has the second highest population of naturally redheaded people in the world, amounting to about 10% of its inhabitants. (to quote wikipedia.) so even if the proportion of redheads to non-redheads in ireland is rather small, it is still greater than that of any other nationality (excepting scotland at 13%). therefore, it is likely that natural redheads have irish heritage, because ireland has a large proportion of redheads, but not likely (one in ten) that an irish person has red hair.

on a related subject, i support the theory that tedd's mother is japanese, and that nanase's mother is tedd's mother's sister, and i'm assuming that nanase has taken her mother's maiden name (we hear little mention of her father - perhaps her parents are divorced, making it reasonable for her to use her mother's name). but really, who knows?
>i
You are carrying a cookie, a dead fish, a six-pack of unlabeled soda, a squirrel teddy, a kick-ass TF gun, and a canned zombie (emergency uses only).

>_
soiducked
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Estelendur on Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:55 am

Judaism and Christianity are very different religions, but as far as I know, most of the main differences stem from the cultures that have grown up around the core beliefs.

However, I would not say that Christianity existed before Jesus of Nazareth started preaching.
My newbie pack: a cookie, a dead fish, a six-pack of unlabeled soda, squirrel teddy, TF gun, some brain glue and a rusty hacksaw.

My gender=none of your business. Use whichever pronoun you like when referring to me.

Image Image
As of Aug. 10, I have 1100 exp
Estelendur
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Poison on Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:57 am

True Story ~ One time a couple of JWs knocked on my door and asked me If I had found jesus (numerous people try to convert me for some reason...) So I did the Ray Maclooney act And Said "Yeeeeeeeee-eees" then I took a chunk out of an appke I was holding while still staring at them and grinning wildly then I said " have you ver heard the tale of man who is 2006 years old in age and died for our sins?" Jws- "yeah.." Me- "they call him Harley - Davidson 1965 Electra Glide" Jws- "I think you mean Jesus" Me- "What be this you speak of ye unholy trout" Then I handed him the apple and said "I shall take my leave now" and did nothing until thy walked off
Poison
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby 86' BF Injection on Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:22 am

Poison wrote:True Story ~ One time a couple of JWs knocked on my door and asked me If I had found jesus (numerous people try to convert me for some reason...) So I did the Ray Maclooney act And Said "Yeeeeeeeee-eees" then I took a chunk out of an appke I was holding while still staring at them and grinning wildly then I said " have you ver heard the tale of man who is 2006 years old in age and died for our sins?" Jws- "yeah.." Me- "they call him Harley - Davidson 1965 Electra Glide" Jws- "I think you mean Jesus" Me- "What be this you speak of ye unholy trout" Then I handed him the apple and said "I shall take my leave now" and did nothing until thy walked off

owned. i find it's best to take any books/leaflets/pamphlets/other crap they give you and roll-your-own with it in front of them.

thy holy bible blunt :lol:
86' BF Injection
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Poison on Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:31 am

another thing you could do is shout "The Helbeast is among us, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES" then slam the door shut
Poison
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby 86' BF Injection on Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:15 am

Poison wrote:another thing you could do is shout "The Helbeast is among us, RUN FOR YOUR LIVES" then slam the door shut

or, you could open the door wairing a gimp suit covered in fake blood, ballgag, while holding a bloodstained ornamenal hunting knife. for added effect, play some evil sounding chanting/the DOOM II soundtrack on you stereo.

ideally you should pretend everything is normal, and fake intrest in everything they are saying.
86' BF Injection
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Poison on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:01 am

yeah but that would take forever to prepare
Poison
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Free Radical on Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:05 am

soiducked wrote:well, for one thing, Ireland has the second highest population of naturally redheaded people in the world, amounting to about 10% of its inhabitants. (to quote wikipedia.) so even if the proportion of redheads to non-redheads in ireland is rather small, it is still greater than that of any other nationality (excepting scotland at 13%). therefore, it is likely that natural redheads have irish heritage, because ireland has a large proportion of redheads, but not likely (one in ten) that an irish person has red hair.

No, that doesn't necessarily work. If some other random nationality had half the prevalence of red hair in the population as in Ireland, but twice the proportion of a population being examined had ancestry of that country as had Irish ancestry then I'm sure you'd agree that you wouldn't have enough information to say that it was likely that a redhead had ancestors from one particular country. Knowing the prevalence of red hair in Ireland isn't enough on its own to make it likely that a particular redhead has Irish ancestry.
Incidentally, that wikipedia number seems really high to me. Although I suppose there could be a lot of variation around the country, around here at least I don't think it approaches even one in twenty.
Free Radical
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive