EGS is Moving

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

EGS is Moving

Postby ChewyChunkyChocolateMonkE on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:29 pm

Okay, not sure how many of you read the news today, but it seems that EGS is moving, and Dan is locking the forums and moving to 910CMX. I'm sorry if this issue has already been adressed. Anyway, I just came to warn you and give you enough time to move any threads you may need to the new forums.
ChewyChunkyChocolateMonkE
Keenspot Juggernaut

Re: EGS is Moving

Postby B.T. Isaac on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:49 pm

So we're moving to 910CMX? I'm not really concerned over the main forum, the question is, what happens to Mayhem? This came a little sudden though. I wonder how things will go like this?

Hm. It's odd though. This may leave Zebra Girl, the only comic I'm reading that has an active forum on Keenspot. But like I said, I wonder what will happen to Mayhem.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tuitsuro on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:21 am

I'd bet real money that Mayhem goes nowhere and they're not affected by this at all; it hasn't really been associated with EGS for a long time and because of the activity level I can't really see Keenspot dropping it any time soon.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Raging Mouse on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:02 am

Happy travels, EGS!
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tricia on Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:34 am

Tuitsuro wrote:I'd bet real money that Mayhem goes nowhere and they're not affected by this at all; it hasn't really been associated with EGS for a long time and because of the activity level I can't really see Keenspot dropping it any time soon.
I'd think that'd be a good reason *to* drop it, personally. It has to take up a *lot* of resources...and whether they want to affiliate with EGS or not, it still is EGS Mayhem.

But unless Dan manually locks it, it'll probably stick around, given the forums that have stayed here from comics that left Keenspot ages ago.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nocturn on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:12 am

The Keen Dominic Deegan forum is still open despite the comic itself having moved from Keenspot. I'm not sure the administration will care either way.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ostracee on Tue Jan 27, 2009 7:42 am

Right. You're too new to remember the move to Keenspot.

An abandoned graveyard, soon to be mercifully let fall out of reference by the mighty Dan...
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Sqauto on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:02 am

Wasn't there another thread about the move just five minutes ago?
I am what I am.
I am a Professional Hostage
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Malachy19 on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:14 am

Well congrats Dan on "going solo," as it were. More power to ya. And whatever you decide to do about Mayhem is ultimately up to you, I'd just like to know.
"Everyone wants my bacon. My delicious Canadian Bacon" -Camo
All my Characters, in one handy Place
Magical School Wiki ---
Malachy19
Keenspot Deity

Postby Nightranger on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:18 am

Sqauto wrote:Wasn't there another thread about the move just five minutes ago?

Yep, there's already a thread for this: http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=104286

And Dan's already made a comment on the fate of Mayhem: http://forums.keenspot.com/viewtopic.php?p=3441735#p3441735
Granted, from what he said he doesn't know enough to know for sure what will happen to it himself.

Tricia wrote:
Tuitsuro wrote:I'd bet real money that Mayhem goes nowhere and they're not affected by this at all; it hasn't really been associated with EGS for a long time and because of the activity level I can't really see Keenspot dropping it any time soon.
I'd think that'd be a good reason *to* drop it, personally.

No, they want that amount of activity. It means they can get more ad revenue, the way I understand it.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:33 am

So I have to wait for an admin to allow me to even make my sig, or choose an avatar?

What the hell, 910CMX? I can understand withholding posting for a while, but I can't even make preparations?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sqauto on Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:52 am

The rules are a little overly set, but know they happened for a lot of good reasons (not going to go into).
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Kalga on Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:58 pm

Sqauto wrote:The rules are a little overly set, but know they happened for a lot of good reasons (not going to go into).

Good reasons the user isn't allowed to know ain't good reasons.
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby nc-edsl on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:00 pm

Sqauto wrote:The rules are a little overly set, but know they happened for a lot of good reasons (not going to go into).

Any chance we might find out what these reasons are?
nc-edsl
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChewyChunkyChocolateMonkE on Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:58 pm

nc-edsl wrote:

Any chance we might find out what these reasons are?

probably some abusive people got banned and kept making accounts, so now they check the IP addres to make sure htey can't get back in, or maybe they got flooded with spam bots at one point and had some rules set in place to prevent them from coming back.
At least, those are the most obvious things i can think of.
ChewyChunkyChocolateMonkE
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Sqauto on Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:39 pm

Largely that, but there was also a problem they had from targeted attacks against them (anyone from those that give /b/chan a bad name, those who felt it was their place on Earth to kill things like this, and those who had been banned from the forum for good reasons and didn't take too kindly to that fact).

Please note that is nothing more then an overview of what has happened in the past.
I am what I am.
ImageImage

Just say NO to Squato.
Sqauto
Keenspot Deity

Postby Puffs on Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:37 am

Already signed up over there. I'm known as Jiggy at 910.
"I own the f**king moon. I put pandas up there! They said it couldn't be done and they... were right. The pandas exploded."
Puffs
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Kalga on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:08 am

Sqauto wrote:Largely that, but there was also a problem they had from targeted attacks against them (anyone from those that give /b/chan a bad name, those who felt it was their place on Earth to kill things like this, and those who had been banned from the forum for good reasons and didn't take too kindly to that fact).

Please note that is nothing more then an overview of what has happened in the past.

So that's why you're not allowed to set an avatar before you're accepted?
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Nocturn on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:27 am

Kalga wrote:
Sqauto wrote:Largely that, but there was also a problem they had from targeted attacks against them (anyone from those that give /b/chan a bad name, those who felt it was their place on Earth to kill things like this, and those who had been banned from the forum for good reasons and didn't take too kindly to that fact).

So that's why you're not allowed to set an avatar before you're accepted?

Goatse avatars. That's all that needs to be said.

Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kalga on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:32 am

*facepalm*

The few messed it up for the many? Well, if there are that many problems with people attacking the site, I don't think I want to be there.
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby Nocturn on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 am

Kalga wrote:*facepalm*

The few messed it up for the many? Well, if there are that many problems with people attacking the site, I don't think I want to be there.

It's purely conjecture. I don't know what exactly happened there, I'm just trying to show how easy it is to abuse avatars and signatures.

Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Kalga on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:22 am

Ah. I thought you were citing example.
Kalga
Keenspot Deity

Postby ForkBomb on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:17 am

No one would see the avatar or sig until you post, which you can't do until you are approved.
But there is no reason to allow it either.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jake R on Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:30 am

ForkBomb wrote:No one would see the avatar or sig until you post, which you can't do until you are approved.
But there is no reason to allow it either.

"Newest user" -> Profile.

You could still create an account with links to spam or other bad stuff which people curious as to why the person hasn't posted yet could click on.
Jake R
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nitpicking on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:40 pm

I have zero actual knowledge but "Because it wasn't worth anyone's trouble to fix" is a perfectly reasonable explanation for why you can't set an avatar until approved. Most users presumably (and actually) get approved really fast, so at most it's a small inconvenience one time for only some people. Others, like me, don't like avatars anyway.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive