[Story - Jan 22, 2008]

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [Story - Jan 22, 2008]

Postby DarkShive on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:24 pm

Tuitsuro wrote:So do we start shipping them now or wait until we confirm Carol is at least a reappearing character? They already have the perfect ship name;

"Carolina". :smug:

Carol will definitely reappear. Now that I have an established news reporter character, I plot to use her.

One thing I wanted to establish here is that she has a certain loyalty to Moperville and believes the events there deserve to be taken seriously and reported. This also neatly explains why it's always the same reporter showing up. She's also not a self-obsessed jerk, so there should be a lack of certain cliches... or, at the very least, there'll be a twist. I like the idea of giving Carol a rival who is more cliche in regard to their goals as a reporter, but there's a ton of other ideas to get to first.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Tarvok on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:42 pm

This argument has me reliving past trauma. There's nothing worse than ending up in a state where you find yourself obsessing over the question, "OMG, where do I look? Where do I look?" expecting rhetorical hammers to fall at any second.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Re: Re:

Postby Darryl on Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:57 pm

Ineluki wrote:zorra
And here's where your entire post lost its credibility, for using such a misogynistic slur.
I love Tricia, yes I do.
Bunny rabbits and hares are nearly as awesome as Tricia.
Scotty wrote:English is the illegitimate child of every other language on this planet.
Darryl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby raekuul on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:09 pm

DarkShive wrote:
Tuitsuro wrote:So do we start shipping them now or wait until we confirm Carol is at least a reappearing character? They already have the perfect ship name;

"Carolina". :smug:

Carol will definitely reappear. Now that I have an established news reporter character, I plot to use her.

One thing I wanted to establish here is that she has a certain loyalty to Moperville and believes the events there deserve to be taken seriously and reported. This also neatly explains why it's always the same reporter showing up. She's also not a self-obsessed jerk, so there should be a lack of certain cliches... or, at the very least, there'll be a twist. I like the idea of giving Carol a rival who is more cliche in regard to their goals as a reporter, but there's a ton of other ideas to get to first.

So Carol isn't going to be the type of reporter that would, say, risk a permanent transgendering to herself and people around her for the sake of exposing the truth?
The News wrote:As those who saw the original version of today's comic are well aware, an edit has taken place. In the original upload, the second panel was completely uncensored. Boy, was THAT embarrassing!

raekuul's thoughts wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20031128.html, last panel.
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20080819.html, fourth panel.

Leave it to a dormant witch to have access to knowledge magic.
raekuul
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:47 pm

Um, could we please not bring up the Wotch's latest plot twist? I think we have enough of our own bickering without getting into ones concerning other webcomic characters.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby benkenobi5 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:59 pm

Ivan's situation is pure cheesecake. it almost made me take the comic off my bookmarks list.
*I had to remove the Admiral Ackbar Cereal ad... something happened with the link, not sure what, though :( *
BenKenobi5's personal lightsaber. bask in the glory of its awesomeness.
benkenobi5
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Unforgiven on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:33 pm

I don't know, considering that 99% of the cast of the Wotch seems to enjoy getting transgendered, it's interesting to see someone who doesn't like it. Of course, if he grows to accept it in time (which I'm sorta expecting, to be honest) it's a whole different story.
El Goonish Shive Character of the Day:
EGS character of the day

My El Goonish Shive page - home of the English/Uryuomoco Translator and the Character Statistics.
Unforgiven
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tricia on Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:58 pm

It's only a matter of time before he's settled in and is happy being a girl.

I may not like *everything* about EGS regarding transformations...but it at least doesn't have the "everyone loves being a girl" to it, which is a major redeeming point.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby benkenobi5 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Tricia wrote:It's only a matter of time before he's settled in and is happy being a girl.

I may not like *everything* about EGS regarding transformations...but it at least doesn't have the "everyone loves being a girl" to it, which is a major redeeming point.

yea, the only one is Tedd.. and the real girls, of course.
*I had to remove the Admiral Ackbar Cereal ad... something happened with the link, not sure what, though :( *
benkenobi5
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Circe on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:10 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Um, could we please not bring up the Wotch's latest plot twist? I think we have enough of our own bickering without getting into ones concerning other webcomic characters.

Well, you did try. A for effort....
"I do not dwell on the past, dahling, it distracts from the now."
- Edna Mode, The Incredibles

"The world is a mess and I just need to rule it."
- Dr. Horrible, Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog

Silly, amateurish artwork available at deviantART.

Got a SecondLife? Find me there as "Circe Silvera"!
Circe
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tricia on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:46 pm

It's like posting a sign that says "Don't push this button". That pretty much guarantees that someone's gonna push it.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby benkenobi5 on Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:57 pm

DON'T TOUCH IT!!! IT'S THE HISTORY ERASER BUTTON, YOU FOOL!!!!!!!!!
benkenobi5
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:41 pm

benkenobi5 wrote:DON'T TOUCH IT!!! IT'S THE HISTORY ERASER BUTTON, YOU FOOL!!!!!!!!!

So hey, how about that wheel, eh? Pretty awesome that we can move heavy rocks around with round rocks. And fire? Central heating, that's what that is. Cavemankind is certainly at the pinnacle of civilization now!
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:16 am

Your civilisation has discovered Irrigation, Mining and Roads.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:09 am

I'll be damned if the Carthaginians discover philosophy before me!!
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Stardrake_ on Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:39 am

Personally, I'm not sure about Susan's expression in the final panel. It's a situation where I'd expect her to be rolling her eyes or something, not the... poker-face-ish expression she has. Of course, that might be the point.

blort wrote:I guess I'm the only one who thought that actually didn't come off well for Susan (and Catalina)? It makes it seem like they hadn't really thought about their actual reasons for hating the new dresscode beyond "Well, it's sexist because... uh... because... it's sexist!"
That's something that has me worried as well. That said, they weren't exactly planning for a press conference, but Susan has presented her case better in the past.

Tarvok wrote:Only there's no resemblance between Carol and Lois Lane of any kind. There isn't much between Carol and April O'Neal, either, but they're closer. At the very least, I imagine the hair color is similar. (Insert pedantry about April not having been a news reporter in the original comic books here.)
Also, humanoid turtles would seem to fit the setting better.

Dan wrote:Urge to make comic mocking own fanbase taking things too seriously... RISING...
DOOOO EEEEET!!!
"The conflict is not between Christianity and Islam or between East and West - instead, it is between stupid people and other stupid people." - Terry Pratchett

AKA Stellar_Dragon (lost when an attempt to change the linked email address went wrong) and Stardrake (obliterated in the Great Keenspot Crash of '03).

People who are fed up with unreadably small font may wish to look here. For those who POST such text, however, this is not an excuse. Surely 6-pt gets the point across without requiring shenanigans to read?
Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Department of Paranormal Zoology, Magitech Division, Funky Horror

Postby The Old Hack on Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:02 am

Stardrake_ wrote:
Dan wrote:Urge to make comic mocking own fanbase taking things too seriously... RISING...
DOOOO EEEEET!!!

GO DAN GO DAN GO DAN GO!

Tuitsuro wrote:I'll be damned if the Carthaginians discover philosophy before me!!

Moperville Wise Men have discovered the secret of the TFG!
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:12 am

Tricia wrote:
Also, when someone talks about something on their person, its customary to look. It would be rude to ignore them, and rude to comment on something without looking.
If a girl asked you how her shirt looked, would you look at it briefly, and then look at her with your comment? Or would you stare at her boobs the entire time you're talking to her?

I certainly hope, for your sake, that it's the former.

I'm amazed at the contention over a throwaway gag. It's a simple attraction/shallowness joke. It would be exactly the same if Tedd said it.
And if Tedd said it, I would still be saying that Dan could have done a lot better.

Point the first: Catalina's fairly obviously distracted by how short that skirt is.

Point the second: If it were Tedd saying it, would you be complaining about "lolheterosexuality"? Is Dan just not allowed to make jokes that even mention sexuality, or what?

Oh, and Darryl? Calling a woman bitch (or some local equivalent) is not misogynist. By that logic, any woman who calls a man "bastard" is misandrist. By that logic, something like 80% of humanity acts in a sexist way on a regular basis.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby benkenobi5 on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:44 am

Illusionist wrote:Oh, and Darryl? Calling a woman bitch (or some local equivalent) is not misogynist. By that logic, any woman who calls a man "bastard" is misandrist. By that logic, something like 80% of humanity acts in a sexist way on a regular basis.

it doesn't directly translate "bitch". I think it's sort of a combination of the B word, and calling the person a slut. so, yea, it's a bit misogynist.
benkenobi5
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:52 am

I'm still not seeing how it's misogynist, unless all gender-specific insults are sexist.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Darryl on Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:59 am

Illusionist wrote:I'm still not seeing how it's misogynist, unless all gender-specific insults are sexist.
Because "slut" itself is, due to the fact that it implies promiscuity in women, which actually does not have a similar insult aimed at men. Hell, half the time a promiscuous man is called a "playa", and it's considered a good thing. Ergo "slut" is a rather misogynistic insult.
I love Tricia, yes I do.
Bunny rabbits and hares are nearly as awesome as Tricia.
Scotty wrote:English is the illegitimate child of every other language on this planet.
Darryl
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:01 am

I've heard guys get called slut or whore before.

To be fair, some of it was in a joking "You left another girl?" way, but I have heard it used as a serious insult.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby nitpicking on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:22 am

Stardrake_ wrote:
blort wrote:I guess I'm the only one who thought that actually didn't come off well for Susan (and Catalina)? It makes it seem like they hadn't really thought about their actual reasons for hating the new dresscode beyond "Well, it's sexist because... uh... because... it's sexist!"
That's something that has me worried as well. That said, they weren't exactly planning for a press conference, but Susan has presented her case better in the past.

I think it's totally reasonable. She didn't have time to plan a speech (as Tedd did), and we've seen that when she gets excited she becomes somewhat less comprehensible (as when she was explaining her urgent texting). Also, she's a teenager. Confronted by a minor celebrity and knowing that this event is very important, it isn't that shocking that she might experience 5 seconds of brain-lock.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tricia on Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:52 am

I find it very interesting that Illy will throw a hissy fit if someone says "s***", but he's just fine with this.

...as is everyone else, apparently.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:00 pm

Fine with what? Are all swear words equal now or something?

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive