[Story - Jan 22, 2008]

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [Story - Jan 22, 2008]

Postby Aeg'air on Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:42 am

Nocturn wrote:
Aeg'air wrote:She hasn't said anything!

You see, Aeg'air, when a woman is called a slut, she is not allowed to feel insulted. Darekun, being a whore herself, knows that.

Now I'm lost.... And that takes some effort....
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DStaal on Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:40 pm

Reading through this comic again, I'm almost surprised that Carol doesn't make Susan do another take. It looks like she likes Susan, she must be a good enough reporter to see that was a fairly weak response, and she's got time: It's taped anyway.

Coach Susan a little, without actually telling her what to say, and Carol would have a much better piece. Which would help both Carol and Susan.
DStaal
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:12 pm

Journalistic integrity, perhaps? She might want to report it as it happened, rather than massaging the facts to fit her opinion. It's an unusual trait in a journalist, but it's possible.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:17 pm

Illusionist wrote:Journalistic integrity, perhaps? She might want to report it as it happened, rather than massaging the facts to fit her opinion. It's an unusual trait in a journalist, but it's possible.

Inconceivable!
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:42 pm

Er... pardon me if this seems like a stupid question/opinion, but why exactly did Carol ask Susan for other reasons for protesting the uniforms besides them being sexist in the first place? I would think that their being sexist would be enough of a reason to protest. Sure, I realize that she was trying to get more of a story out of it, but wouldn't it have made more sense to go more into detail concerning just what about the uniforms Susan found sexist and objectionable? Maybe dig for details on what she didn't like about parts of the uniforms, such as the vest and the skirt, or maybe how she felt about the men's uniform? I think she would have been able to get more of a story that way.

Also, I realize this completely off the wall here, but whenever I see/type Carol's name I keep thinking of Miss Carol from that one episode of Rugrats. You know, the one where Angelica learns about swearing. I realize they have nothing in common thus far besides a name and being on TV, but the association just isn't leaving.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ostracee on Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:01 pm

Illusionist wrote:Journalistic integrity, perhaps? She might want to report it as it happened, rather than massaging the facts to fit her opinion. It's an unusual trait in a journalist, but it's possible.

I don't think anyone would take journalistic integrity to the point of not preparing interviews. These aren't really "the facts," from a journalistic standpoint.
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:46 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Er... pardon me if this seems like a stupid question/opinion, but why exactly did Carol ask Susan for other reasons for protesting the uniforms besides them being sexist in the first place? I would think that their being sexist would be enough of a reason to protest. Sure, I realize that she was trying to get more of a story out of it, but wouldn't it have made more sense to go more into detail concerning just what about the uniforms Susan found sexist and objectionable? Maybe dig for details on what she didn't like about parts of the uniforms, such as the vest and the skirt, or maybe how she felt about the men's uniform? I think she would have been able to get more of a story that way.

I think it's because that while the skirts are sexist, they're not really all that exploitative. They're something people would normally wear, so even though there's a sexist element there's not really any arguement to drop the skirts. (Err.. figuratively.) I mean, right now the only reason, the only reason why they're still on this is because Susan doesn't want to wear the skirt. Everyone else either conceded to it or had no problem in the first place (Well, the skirt part, not the uniform as a whole, of which the general consensus is 'they suck!'). So it looks like just one squeeky wheel with a personal problem rather than administration with a sexist one.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DStaal on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:02 pm

Ostracee wrote:

I don't think anyone would take journalistic integrity to the point of not preparing interviews. These aren't really "the facts," from a journalistic standpoint.

Exactly. I'm not saying that she should have Susan present a different opinion (although I do think that attacking the uniforms in general might be a better tack, but it's not the one Susan chose), just that I think with a little work Susan could present her opinion more effectively. Which in turn makes the story more effective, because it would have more impact.

This isn't a rally where she's interviewing random protesters. She's interviewing the head of the protest movement, away from any action. Usually in that case people have speeches prepared. (Often by speechwriters.) Giving a teenager who hasn't got anything prepared a little prep-help isn't changing the story. It's more likely to get the facts through.
DStaal
Keenspot Despot

Postby Daremo on Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:26 pm

It's not as if Carol had a lot of time to prepare, either...

Just making her trip to the high school a bit less of a waste of time...

Very...

...Off the cuff...

So to say.

Then too...

Carol didn't strike me as being super experienced.

New to the on camera position?
"Maybe he's wise."
"He don't look wise."

Daremo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Over the Mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.

Postby benkenobi5 on Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:14 pm

the news people were probably just looking for sound bytes. the only time I've ever seen something on the news where they showed the entire interview, it was with some big politician or celebrity.
this interview has enough in it for the editor at the news place to make or break her little resistance against the uniform policy.
frankly, though, I imagine the news network will eat it up. they love to throw around accusations, especially at school systems or government practices. a news network wouldn't be able to pass up the chance to showcase "SEXISM IN OUR SCHOOLS!!!!tonight at 10".
*I had to remove the Admiral Ackbar Cereal ad... something happened with the link, not sure what, though :( *
BenKenobi5's personal lightsaber. bask in the glory of its awesomeness.
benkenobi5
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:43 pm

Aeg'air wrote:She hasn't said anything!

Um, did you see this post? How many fallacies can you count?

Chaos Priest wrote:Er... pardon me if this seems like a stupid question/opinion, but why exactly did Carol ask Susan for other reasons for protesting the uniforms besides them being sexist in the first place?

It looked to me like she was looking for the whole story there - getting the information, rather than trying to make it photogenic. Turns out, that was the whole story, but she didn't know that.

Chaos Priest wrote:Maybe dig for details on what she didn't like about parts of the uniforms, such as the vest and the skirt, or maybe how she felt about the men's uniform? I think she would have been able to get more of a story that way.

The problem there is that she isn't looking for a story with any depth. This will probably be worth a sound bite and some anchor banter; Susan's first line is a good source for sound bites on the sexism angle, so that's kind of done. If I'm right about what she was trying to do, then she would've looked for sound bites on any of the other angles that turned up interesting.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Postby Stardrake_ on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:10 am

benkenobi5 wrote:the news people were probably just looking for sound bytes. the only time I've ever seen something on the news where they showed the entire interview, it was with some big politician or celebrity.
Even then, you'll probably find that the actual interviews were longer, unless it was live.
"The conflict is not between Christianity and Islam or between East and West - instead, it is between stupid people and other stupid people." - Terry Pratchett

AKA Stellar_Dragon (lost when an attempt to change the linked email address went wrong) and Stardrake (obliterated in the Great Keenspot Crash of '03).

People who are fed up with unreadably small font may wish to look here. For those who POST such text, however, this is not an excuse. Surely 6-pt gets the point across without requiring shenanigans to read?
Stardrake_
Keenspot Juggernaut

Location: Department of Paranormal Zoology, Magitech Division, Funky Horror

Postby Voldine on Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:53 am

Okay, I know we'll be moving to a new forum soon and thus I'll likely have to repost this if anyone wants to continue the discussion there but....someone mentioned Catalina being shallow because she mentioned that white stains easily?

How exactly is it shallow to be concerned about staining an article of clothing that was given to you specifically to be used as an everyday thing for school? Sure, it depends on the fabric used, but white in general does stain quite easily and this is an actual concern to those people who only have a few shirts that would \meet the dress code. How many teenagers do you know that actually own a simple, generic, non-logo-bearing, white shirt with a collar and buttons? Heck, a white polo shirt would count but MANY of them have logos (Verruckt: You mean gang signs!) and this would disqualify them.

I speak from experience when I say that white is a horrible uniform color for any situation where cleanliness is not a major point of contention. When I worked at Big Y they required white shirts, and one night a customer's son shook up a soda bottle and sprayed me with it from the register line behind me. Not only was my back sticky for the rest of my shift, I was not even allowed to leave my register due to rush time to even try to clean the shirt a small amount in the restroom. Sucky customer never even yelled at her son or apologised and I had a white shirt with a purple stain all over the back that even bleach failed to exorcise completely. And that's not even mentioning School Lunch Pizza with the cheese that tends to never disengage from itself so you'll have a whole slice's worth of cheese try to follow one bite. That's a stain nightmare with tomato sauce on a white shirt.
Voldine
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Darekun on Sun Feb 01, 2009 10:19 pm

Voldine wrote:How exactly is it shallow to be concerned about staining an article of clothing that was given to you specifically to be used as an everyday thing for school?

Reality is irrelevant; only perception matters. If panel 5 were used as a sound bite, she'd look really shallow. Sure, if this policy survived the month it'd put a divide between the students who can and can't afford to keep their wardrobe stain-free... but complaining about that still looks shallow.
If you must feed the troll, take it to PMs.
To help avoid feeding the troll, there's an ignore feature.

TFed male as "Darechan" for Sister II!
Best EGS video. Ever.
Whereas I... am not an artist.
Tricia wrote:No. There's no way in hell you're going to get away with shit like that. Go ahead and state those so-called "reasons".
Darekun
Keenspot Despot

Previous

Return to El Goonish Shive