[Story - Jan 22, 2008]

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[Story - Jan 22, 2008]

Postby DarkShive on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:05 pm

Boy did I ever under-estimate how long it would take me to make this one >_<

Not only that, but I'll likely revise the last panel slightly the first chance I get due to the lines in the background being a little too thick for my liking... but for now, running off to class!
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Re: [Story - Jan 22, 2008]

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:08 pm

Nice to see a reasonable reporter, rather than the Rita Skeeter type.

However, Catalina's hand in panel one looks like a claw.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Greycat_55 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:11 pm

Woop! Publicity for protest. Maybe Susan will get less punishment for this... Or possibly more.. Hmm..

Ya see, now I'm thinking about it.. =_= After a long day at college too... Owieee.... *holds head*
Greycat_55
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Ineluki on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:19 pm

"It works" :lol:
Yeah, nice strip. Susan's face in p1 looking slightly off to me. Can't really pin it down, however.

And I find it slightly bugging that the birthday was so completely ignored... oh, well, victim's choice ^^
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Aeg'air on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:25 pm

What the skirt? ... ((The date's wrong on this... It's 2009))
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:26 pm

Aeg'air wrote:What the skirt? ... ((The date's wrong on this... It's 2009))

We're caught in a timewarp!
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:28 pm

I'm suprised you didn;t notice.... and still, that skirt is disturbingly short...
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:31 pm

Aeg'air wrote:I'm suprised you didn;t notice.... and still, that skirt is disturbingly short...

Yeah, that is kind of unrealistic.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby SleepyOrigami on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:39 pm

It is nice to see that the reporter is sympathetic to the cause. I like that she asks actual questions because not a lot of reporters do that. I still worry about that the story will get the tabloid treatment in editing. That or it will last all of three seconds. I'll relax when the broadcast is over unless there are more surprises along the way. Susan looks awesomely determined in panel 2.

EDIT: The skirt does seem really short, but that would probably increase viewership and ratings which is her goal it seems.
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tricia on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:42 pm

I felt this could have done without the "lollesbian" joke. And to try to stem the backlash, I don't have objections to jokes about lesbians...it's that the last panel seems to only serve as a joke that's basically "haha...it's funny because she's a lesbian". It's cheap, and I know that Dan can, and has, done a lot better. Even on the same subject matter.

Plus, the fact that she's trying to hide her sexual orientation doesn't really make ogling and (borderline) flirting with the reporter make any sense.

I'm also surprised a local news station can get away with the World's Shortiest Skirt.

But anyway...will be interesting to see where this story goes.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:55 pm

Uh, Tricia...it's less "It's funny because she's a lesbian" and more "It's funny because she's shallow".

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby blort on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:56 pm

I guess I'm the only one who thought that actually didn't come off well for Susan (and Catalina)? It makes it seem like they hadn't really thought about their actual reasons for hating the new dresscode beyond "Well, it's sexist because... uh... because... it's sexist!"

Actually, I hope the uniform sub-plot is at least reasonably close to a conclusion since outside of introducing Catalina (who I hope goes back to her old "JACKASS!" personality) and Carol (who's already one of my favorites... and definitely the hottest character so far :D ), this has felt fairly pointless which is kind of a shame since I really like both Susan and Catalina.
blort
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Tricia on Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Whatever the point of the joke may be doesn't change the fact that the joke is extremely cheap.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby FerretBob on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:06 pm

..but...but...but... I'm short on money at the moment! I can't afford any better jokes :( :( :(
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams"

"Some people never go crazy... What truly boring lives they must lead" - Blackie Lawless
FerretBob
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nightranger on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:17 pm

I think our short-skirted reporter was expecting a little more from this interview. I love the "masochist" line. So out of the blue; you can tell she's grasping for straws at this point! :)

Tricia wrote:Plus, the fact that she's trying to hide her sexual orientation doesn't really make ogling and (borderline) flirting with the reporter make any sense.

When was there been any indication Catalina's been trying to hide it? She was nervous about asking Susan out, but that doesn't mean she's trying to hide her sexual orientation.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tarvok on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:35 pm

Tricia wrote:I felt this could have done without the "lollesbian" joke.

Huh? :blink:

Oh, NOW I understand where you're going with that. I guess I'm in the minority in that I missed it. I thought she was referring not to the skirt's effect on her specifically, but on her viewers generally, a comment on the shallow nature of most people. :-?
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dragonstar on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:43 pm

Tarvok wrote:

Oh, NOW I understand where you're going with that. I guess I'm in the minority in that I missed it. I thought she was referring not to the skirt's effect on her specifically, but on her viewers generally, a comment on the shallow nature of most people. :-?

I had to go back, reread the the comic, and just assume she meant the last panel when I first saw her post, mainly through the process of elimination. (Later post confirmed said assumption)
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ranma_2k8 on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:45 pm

Tarvok wrote:

That's what I got from it, too. I guess you only see the "lollesbian" joke if you're intentionally looking for things to dislike about the comic.

Hmm... :shifty:
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - Elbert Hubbard
Ranma_2k8
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby ChibiCarrera on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:48 pm

Ranma_2k8 wrote:
Tarvok wrote:

That's what I got from it, too. I guess you only see the "lollesbian" joke if you're intentionally looking for things to dislike about the comic.

Hmm... :shifty:

I know that I got the shallow joke. I had to reread it to see the "lollesbian" joke.
This makes me cry everytime
ChibiCarrera
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:49 pm

Um, that's a skirt and not a handkerchief with a glandular condition? >.<
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:54 pm

Oh come on Susan! You know exactly why the uniforms were put into use in the first place! Call the principal on it, that it wasn't so-called 'gang activity' but that it was two geeks fighting over Star Trek!

...you don't have to mention you were one of the geeks, even... :wink:

And Lois Lane wore shortier skirts than that; and she wasn't even a television reporter...
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Puffs on Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:54 pm

Illusionist wrote:
Aeg'air wrote:I'm suprised you didn;t notice.... and still, that skirt is disturbingly short...

Yeah, that is kind of unrealistic.

I like this reporter, the last panel really helps to give her a personality.
"I own the f**king moon. I put pandas up there! They said it couldn't be done and they... were right. The pandas exploded."
Puffs
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Dragonstar on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:15 pm

Tuitsuro wrote:Oh come on Susan! You know exactly why the uniforms were put into use in the first place! Call the principal on it, that it wasn't so-called 'gang activity' but that it was two geeks fighting over Star Trek!

...you don't have to mention you were one of the geeks, even... :wink:

And Lois Lane wore shortier skirts than that; and she wasn't even a television reporter...

I think she'd rather beat it on the sexism principle. In fact, she never, as far as I am aware, objected to the uniforms in general, just the different standards for males and females in the policy.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DeaExMachina on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:18 pm

blort wrote:I guess I'm the only one who thought that actually didn't come off well for Susan (and Catalina)? It makes it seem like they hadn't really thought about their actual reasons for hating the new dresscode beyond "Well, it's sexist because... uh... because... it's sexist!"

I agree. This barely qualifies as a sound bite. It would take longer to explain the context to the TV audience than it would to play that video clip. I doubt this will air. If they had played the lesbian card, their chance would improve that it would air because of the ratings it would get. Still, the producer may introduce that card and air it if the news is slow.
This post is a Catgirl Respawn Point.
DeaExMachina
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DarkShive on Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:33 pm

Keep in mind that this is a portion of a larger report. This is the down to earth part to go with the evil monkey report.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive