[Story 1-20-09]Unbelievable

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [Story 1-20-09]Unbelievable

Postby Ranma_2k8 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:47 am

horus wrote:Love the idea that new uniforms might be more newsworthy than a green 'gremmy... or did Mr. Verres cleanup crew get to the news editor already?

More likely it's the fact that Susan - a girl - is wearing a boy's uniform. Open rebellion like that is gonna grab attention regardless. Fortunately it appears to have grabbed the attention of the right person at the right time.

On a side note, I'll be rather disappointed if the interview is handled with the same degree of respect that's usually afforded to UFO sightings and reports of Sasquatch.
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - Elbert Hubbard
Ranma_2k8
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tybalt on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:50 am

Yes ! Still as good to read the new comic :P I loled in the end. "Big and juicy" ? The reporter is lucky not to be a man, otherwise we would so completely see a pair of hammers in the next panel...
B&W has very quickly found its new style, and it's definitely looking good. And the story is still well-rhythmed and well-composed too. I still love the comic. Go on, EGS rocks. Just saying :wink:

DarkShive wrote:Mega hogs are wild boar that reach huge sizes, such as over ten feet in length. They are considered unconfirmed at this point, with the large hogs that are actually found turning out to be domestic or domestic / wild hybrids. This page implies that wild hogs of giant size are confirmed, or at least more reputable than evil monkey. Either way, it's very likely to come up again, at least in passing.

Didn't know about this, but it so makes me think about Hogfather.
Tybalt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Berpol on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:54 am

belymt wrote:Hogs of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

That depends on what is an unusual size for you. A domestic pig can reach a length of 1,8 m (6 foot?) and 350 kg
Berpol
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:04 am

Berpol wrote:

That depends on what is an unusual size for you. A domestic pig can reach a length of 1,8 m (6 foot?) and 350 kg

Errr, I might be way wrong here, but I think this was actually meant as a Princess Bride reference.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Berpol on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:44 am

The Old Hack wrote:Errr, I might be way wrong here, but I think this was actually meant as a Princess Bride reference.

Possibly, but I have problems with some references when I saw the movie in german (there its "Ratten Von Außergewöhnlicher Größe")

Back to the comic.
Carols mannerism remind me of both Amanda and Lisa.
Compare her in panel 1 with Lisa in panel 3 here
Compare her in panel 4 with Amanda in panel 2 here, she also reminds me of Ellen in that pose and in panel 6.

I wonder what she wanted to say in panel 3, "Bigfoot isn't..."
  • real.
  • a monster.
  • interesting.
  • in the area, he's gone fishing with my boyfriend.
Berpol
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ineluki on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:16 am

Oh, I'm torn with this strip. The last two panels definitely rock. As nitpicking said. Out of character, yet understandable.
But I dunno if it wouldn't be better to have to first 4 panels compressed into 1 or 2. Yes, that'd probably lose the joke, but get this whole thing moving faster. The 2-updates schedule seems ridiculously slow these days to me.
And on a sidenote: ooohh, gray-tones :>
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:44 am

Ineluki wrote:But I dunno if it wouldn't be better to have to first 4 panels compressed into 1 or 2. Yes, that'd probably lose the joke, but get this whole thing moving faster. The 2-updates schedule seems ridiculously slow these days to me.

I'm assuming (hoping) they're setting up something down-plot a ways.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nightranger on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:14 am

SleepyOrigami wrote:This could very easily turn into a touching moment of Innocence Lost for Elliot.

Not to mention (another) for Susan.

Tybalt wrote:B&W has very quickly found its new style, and it's definitely looking good.

I'd been trying to not say anything, but today's comic just seems too white. In attempt to stop this thread from being hijacked by B&W good/B&W bad arguements, I feel I should point out that this isn't because it's in B&W, but because it seems more like white, with just a hint of black. While it is much less likely to happen with color, hypothetically the same basic thing could happen if a work was mostly just one color (without any big differences in tint, shade, etc.).
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Ineluki on Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:34 am

Wanted to play around with coloring a bit, so, here's a news lady for you.
egs20090120_color.png
egs20090120_color.png (129.66 KiB) Viewed 2711 times

Feel free to avatarize it.
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Wanderer on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:11 am

horus wrote:Love the idea that new uniforms might be more newsworthy than a green 'gremmy... or did Mr. Verres cleanup crew get to the news editor already?

That was my guess.

Enaronia wrote:
Tarvok wrote:You know, given that last panel, if the news media had the same level of maturity as the high school grapevine, "Susan is a Lesbian" would be about to get a much larger audience.

That's not very nice! You should apologize to the high school. :P

To be honest, I'm not sure whether that statement is insulting high school or news media. I've never been able to decide which one is worse.
I am... no one.
The Wanderer
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:44 am

I actually found out that Photoshop actually lightens my comics when I import them from Illustrator in spite of not telling it to do anything like that and both documents being in RGB. The grey in this comic should actually be a little darker. For example, it's RGB 204, 204, 204 for the pavement in the last two panels when it should be RGB 191, 191, 191. Adjusting the levels can fix it, but it's annoying that it's even an issue.

EDIT: Screw it. With the exception of reusable backgrounds (I'm looking at you, news van), I'm coloring in Photoshop >_<
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Dragonstar on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:42 am

Given that this IS Moperville and that Carol is from there, she may well think there is a possibility that Susan is actually a guy.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Berpol on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 am

Dragonstar wrote:Given that this IS Moperville and that Carol is from there, she may well think there is a possibility that Susan is actually a guy.

Only if gender changes were common before Tedd got his hands on the TF gun.
I think the question is if she went to MS North (was Verrückt already the principal?) or MS South (Mr Raven was already there). In the first case she might be inclined to use the whole power of the press against the principal, in the second case I'm not sure what she could have seen.
Berpol
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:19 am

Well played.

Also, I hold some tabloids in very high regard. Especially The Sun. Sure, it's almost as bad as the Daily Mail or the Express, but at least it doesn't pretend to be classy. I respect its honesty.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Aeg'air on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:11 am

Tuitsuro wrote:
GetsLonely wrote: In fact, wild hogs are always open season now, because they're a nuisance, and they destroy ranches and kill animals, and even people.

I thought that was only when humanity becomes too industrious and starts cutting down forests. Also, giant talking wolves.

Yay! Don't forget the man eating monkeys!
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DarkShive on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:22 am

Millions of hogs run wild in Texas due to human interference, and I think they're moving north. They're kinda like killer bees, but less famous and engineered.

Also, there are eastern Asia pythons thriving in the everglades. Hundreds got loose from pet shops during a hurricane, and it turns out Florida is a very agreeable place for them. Winter up north may be annoying, but at least the cold makes it less hospitable to non-native species that might otherwise become pests... not that we don't have some man-introduced species that are problematic.

Carol is in her twenties, so wherever she went to school, it wasn't that long ago.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby horus on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:51 am

Ineluki wrote:Wanted to play around with coloring a bit, so, here's a news lady for you.
egs20090120_color.png

Feel free to avatarize it.

Hmm... you readin' my mind? That's the hair color, almost exactly, that I pictured. Thanks.

Later On,
D
Incarnating as Het-heru for the duration of the Sister II story arc.

"It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs."
A Proud Member of Quote Pyramid Demolition Workers' Union Local No. 72
XP: We don't need no stinkin' XP (yet)!
EGS Inventory: Standard Newbie Pack (1 dead fish, 6 cans of unlabeled soda, 1 TF gun, 1 Squirrel teddy, "1 Thing I've forgotten" (from who?), a copy of Cat Chicks Magazine, and a Grace VooDoo doll.
Image Image
ImageImage
horus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tarvok on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:52 am

Brasten wrote:The sound guy is like a ninja, with an ability to manipulate comic geometries to hide objects can behind a speech bobble in plain sight.

You know, Grace sometimes interacts with the panels. Hmm...
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Dragonstar on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:00 am

Tarvok wrote:
Brasten wrote:The sound guy is like a ninja, with an ability to manipulate comic geometries to hide objects can behind a speech bobble in plain sight.

You know, Grace sometimes interacts with the panels. Hmm...

Well, we all know she is a sleepy little ninja already.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:16 am

DarkShive wrote:... not that we don't have some man-introduced species that are problematic.

Like humans. :shifty:
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Jstone on Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:50 am

What's up with the sound guy's let arm in panel 1? It looks like a flipper.
Testimonials:
hammerqueen wrote:I am both impressed and mildly concerned.
BumRussianElvis wrote:Note to self: Don't sing around Jstone when he is armed with impromptu projectiles.
In response to me being called moderator material, pixelhead777 wrote:Not Jstone. NOT Jstone.
Jstone
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ranma_2k8 on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:16 pm

Jstone wrote:What's up with the sound guy's let arm in panel 1? It looks like a flipper.

Mr. Verres: Forget you ever saw that!

:lol:
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - Elbert Hubbard
Ranma_2k8
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby raekuul on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:07 pm

Aeg'air wrote:Yay! Don't forget the man eating monkeys!

Wh...where does the hyphen go?
The News wrote:As those who saw the original version of today's comic are well aware, an edit has taken place. In the original upload, the second panel was completely uncensored. Boy, was THAT embarrassing!

raekuul's thoughts wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20031128.html, last panel.
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20080819.html, fourth panel.

Leave it to a dormant witch to have access to knowledge magic.
raekuul
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Dragonstar on Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:41 pm

Aeg'air wrote:
Yay! Don't forget the man eating monkeys!

Reminds me of a very old comedy routine:
(Paraphrased since I don't know the lines by heart)
GB: How did your fishing go?

GA: Oh, it went great! I caught a man eating shrimp!

GB: A man eating shrimp?

GA: Yeah! There was a man eating a plate of shrimp over there, and I caught him!

((cookies for whoever guesses who GB and GA stand for))
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby blort on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:35 pm

It'd be nice if Carol became something of a supporting or recurring character since I've always been a fan of the nosy, manipulative reporter characters.
blort
Junior Keenspotter

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive