[Story 1-20-09]Unbelievable

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[Story 1-20-09]Unbelievable

Postby Nightranger on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:12 pm

I can't help but think we should have expected something like this.

Unfortunately, now I can't help but think of the Moperville newspapers as the Quibbler.
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Re: [Story 1-20-09]Unbelievable

Postby Ostracee on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:14 pm

Grew up in Moperville? Hmm...I wonder if she's recently spent time in E...

No. I will stop there. This is not remotely worth it.

Also, I see Susan and Catalina will jump in the river spotlight holding hands...

PS: This thread is first. I should have taken a screenshot to prove it.
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ranma_2k8 on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:18 pm

Bah. You beat me by all of one minute. lol
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - Elbert Hubbard
Ranma_2k8
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 pm

Well, that might explain why Mr. Verres was willing to let a story on the goo monster get published. If people outside of Mopperville regard the local paper as a tabloid then nobody will believe it when it is in the news. It's like the rest of the world has it's own weirdness censor with regards to Mopperville. Although, if Carol felt like pointing out that Bigfoot isn't, does that imply she thinks that Mega Hogs are? Wait, what's a Mega Hog anyway?

Anyway, Susan and Catalina might want to be careful. If the news crew sees them holding hands like that they might get the wrong impression about them. Possibly intentionally (hey, whatever makes for a good story).
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tuitsuro on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 pm

"Weird stuff happens here."

Appropriate description of EGS in general. ;)
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby raekuul on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Hoo boy. Two timelines at once, as per usual. I guess this is happening just as the others are getting to the Verres residence?
The News wrote:As those who saw the original version of today's comic are well aware, an edit has taken place. In the original upload, the second panel was completely uncensored. Boy, was THAT embarrassing!

raekuul's thoughts wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20031128.html, last panel.
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20080819.html, fourth panel.

Leave it to a dormant witch to have access to knowledge magic.
raekuul
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Greyryder on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:40 pm

Big and juicy, huh?

I keeping looking at the cameraman in the background drinking a pop, and expecting it to have an adverse affect on him. Like, next time we see him he'll either be tiny, or a girl. (or both) Then, I think I've read too many fillers....

Chaos Priest wrote:Wait, what's a Mega Hog anyway?

It was a wild hog that grew a lot bigger than most. I know it turned out to be smaller than the guy who shot it thought it was, but I think it still turned out to be seven or eight feet long. By hog standards, it was friggin' huge.
Greyryder
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DarkShive on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:41 pm

Yes, this is happening sometime before the end of the meeting at the Verres household.

Mega hogs are wild boar that reach huge sizes, such as over ten feet in length. They are considered unconfirmed at this point, with the large hogs that are actually found turning out to be domestic or domestic / wild hybrids. This page implies that wild hogs of giant size are confirmed, or at least more reputable than evil monkey. Either way, it's very likely to come up again, at least in passing.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby DarkShive on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Greyryder wrote:I keeping looking at the cameraman in the background drinking a pop, and expecting it to have an adverse affect on him. Like, next time we see him he'll either be tiny, or a girl. (or both) Then, I think I've read too many fillers...

That's actually the sound guy. I'm not sure where the camera dude is... I assume he's in the van or something.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Torgamus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:44 pm

Let the Catalina/Susan shippers rejoice at the last panel! I also anticipate many slays.

Maybe the principal will see the news... I cant decide if he will praise her for her good citizenship or freak out at her again.
Torgamus
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Youwillneverknow on Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:Anyway, Susan and Catalina might want to be careful. If the news crew sees them holding hands like that they might get the wrong impression about them. Possibly intentionally (hey, whatever makes for a good story).

I suppose that depend on how evil the reporter is, given her face in the last panel it seems likely

I really hope we stay with this line for a while, I can just see the discussion between reporter woman and Susan
Youwillneverknow
Keenspot Deity

Postby nitpicking on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:11 pm

I liked the "shy Catalina" body language, Dan. So out of character (on a superficial level) and so totally understandable--and also, I presume consciously, setting up a contrast with Susan's other defender, Tedd, who has overcome his even worse shyness.

And I like Susan grabbing her hand again. That's completely out of character, and yet again, not really.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby eman on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:39 pm

This reporter is pretty funny. But I think the sound guy is HILARIOUS.
eman
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tarvok on Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:43 pm

You know, given that last panel, if the news media had the same level of maturity as the high school grapevine, "Susan is a Lesbian" would be about to get a much larger audience.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:25 pm

Tarvok wrote:if the news media had the same level of maturity as the high school grapevine

Do you really have to ask that question?
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby nitpicking on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:31 pm

I don't see Susan as being all that upset if people think she's a lesbian--they already do, as repeatedly established. However, if they think Catalina is a lesbian Susan will go all protective, just as her double Diane protects Rhoda. I can see some humor coming, with people thinking that "known lesbian" Susan has seduced Catalina ...
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Enaronia on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Tarvok wrote:You know, given that last panel, if the news media had the same level of maturity as the high school grapevine, "Susan is a Lesbian" would be about to get a much larger audience.

That's not very nice! You should apologize to the high school. :P
Feel free to ignore me if I ramble too much. Or slap me, that works sometimes.
Enaronia
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:51 pm

DarkShive wrote:That's actually the sound guy. I'm not sure where the camera dude is... I assume he's in the van or something.

He's actually standing right behind the reporter. He drank a can of Dr. Gehrman's new Invisibility Soda.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SleepyOrigami on Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:45 pm

*sigh* I expected as much from the news people. Every day the news continues to disappoint me a little more. I see Elliot's smiling innocent face shining with anticipation just waiting to see what his actions have set in motion for Susan. He is so happy that he could help. Its the only positive thing he has going for him right now. This could very easily turn into a touching moment of Innocence Lost for Elliot. Its a good thing they're all together when they hear the news. I have a feeling more than one of the group are going to need the support of a friend. Then again maybe it will be good news? HA!

BTW, where did the sound guy's soda come from? Was it in his purse / sound equipment bag thing or did he pick it up off the ground between panels? He drinks all fancy like what with the extended pinky and all. A true sign of sophistication and class.
-Master Po: But your innocence, how will that be returned?
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Brasten on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:03 pm

The sound guy is like a ninja, with an ability to manipulate comic geometries to hide objects can behind a speech bobble in plain sight.

I almost don't want to know what expression Carol had on her face that made Catalina pull inward like that (awesome pose). Must have been like a mountain lion contemplating at bobcat for launch.
Brasten
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby horus on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:16 pm

Hooray for Comic No. 3 of 2009!

This wasn't altogether unexpected, given the earlier clues, but, still in all, nicely played out. Now to see what happens when the news crew interviews Susan and CatCat.

Just for reference, is Carol a blonde or a redhead? (She's a redhead, hopefully...)

Love the idea that new uniforms might be more newsworthy than a green 'gremmy... or did Mr. Verres cleanup crew get to the news editor already? Eh, could be, Doc. The whole tabloid thing opens up some amusing possibilities for newspaper headlines, too: "Aliens Not Sighted In Moperville!" (Nope, they were legal U.S. residents of Uryuom descent!)

I'm liking where this is going so far. And, yes, the sound guy is rather funny.

Later On,
D
Incarnating as Het-heru for the duration of the Sister II story arc.

"It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs."
A Proud Member of Quote Pyramid Demolition Workers' Union Local No. 72
XP: We don't need no stinkin' XP (yet)!
EGS Inventory: Standard Newbie Pack (1 dead fish, 6 cans of unlabeled soda, 1 TF gun, 1 Squirrel teddy, "1 Thing I've forgotten" (from who?), a copy of Cat Chicks Magazine, and a Grace VooDoo doll.
Image Image
ImageImage
horus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby GetsLonely on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:26 pm

Y'all are forgetting about the mega hogs!
Those are a big problem in several parts of Texas. You see, when pigs are let out into the wild, if they survive, it takes them only a few generations to turn back into wild boar. (The rumor is 5 generations, I don't know if that's exact) And wild boar can get HUGE. In fact, wild hogs are always open season now, because they're a nuisance, and they destroy ranches and kill animals, and even people. They aren't indigenous either, someone let some pigs out, and after a few generations they went completely wild. Check it out! ---> Feral Pigs
GetsLonely
Keenspot Despot

Location: Feeding the squirrel that sleeps in a box behind your house.

Postby Tuitsuro on Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:42 pm

GetsLonely wrote: In fact, wild hogs are always open season now, because they're a nuisance, and they destroy ranches and kill animals, and even people.

I thought that was only when humanity becomes too industrious and starts cutting down forests. Also, giant talking wolves.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Raging Mouse on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:26 am

Mega Hogs sounds like it will become a violent childrens' cartoon any day now, containing prejudicing stereotypes (biker hogs), poor sci-fi (from Mars) and tacked-on quasi-morality (battling the forces of evil! Buy our mechandise!).

We get a new character. And her name. And she's likely bad news for Susan (You can take that pun from my cold, dead hands)!
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby belymt on Tue Jan 20, 2009 2:27 am

Hogs of unusual size? I don't think they exist.
belymt
Junior Keenspotter

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive