Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[S.T.O.R.Y. 5/29/02] Suddenly Susan

Postby Chaos Priest on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:00 pm

http://www.egscomics.com/d/20020529.html

You are the hammer queen, swift and mean, only seventeen
Hammer queen, serve the pain from the whacking
You can smash, you can drive, beat within an inch of their life
See that girl, flee the scene, dodging the hammer queen

I love Susan's pose in the last panel. It is pure awesomeness. I wonder how much time she spends practicing her form?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Re: [S.T.O.R.Y. 5/29/02] Suddenly Susan

Postby ChibiCarrera on Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:54 pm

I don't think she spends too much time on her poses. Susan is the pure essence of awesomeness. She needs no practice.
This makes me cry everytime
ChibiCarrera
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Nightranger on Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:46 pm

I just thought of something: do we ever see Susan teasing Sarah (or anyone else) like she is here any other time?
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:03 pm

hallelujah, here she comes
queen hammergirl
enchanté, what can I say
don't care at all
You know, she used to have to wait around
she used to be the lonely one
but now that she can hammer the whole town
she's the only -- she's the only one...

Susan is all but a walking Crowning Moment of Awesome. And I don't actually think she is teasing Sarah here. She is merely trying to be genuinely supportive in a somewhat skewed way, given that this is in her very early stages where she hasn't gotten to know either Elliot, Tedd or Justin that well.

With thanks and apologies to the Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler for my blatant theft and subversion of their lyrics.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby ChronosCat on Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:10 pm

== Spring, 2006 ==

Chronos: I've heard plenty of stories before of people who couldn't see that the person they were pining for / in a relationship with was a jerk. From an outside point of view, I can see how Susan might think this was one of those cases. On the other hand, the "Typical male behavior" part was uncalled for.

Also, that in panel 4 needs to know when to quit while he's behind.

== Jan, 2009 ==

Nightranger wrote:I just thought of something: do we ever see Susan teasing Sarah (or anyone else) like she is here any other time?

Crystal: The first time I read it, I thought Susan was being completely serious. (Wrong, in the case of being Sarah's hero, but still completely serious.) Even now, that last part is the only part where I think she might be teasing.

While I don't know about teasing, joking in general is not out of character for Susan - IIRC she does occasionally crack a dry joke - though she's more likely to be the one responding sarcastically.
Last edited by ChronosCat on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reverse-Gendered for Sister II! (Call me "Crystal"!)
Current form: blue anthro tigress
Equipped Items: TF Gun, Diamond Katana
Inventory
Image Image

Click the nifty little globe icon to the right to check out my website.
ChronosCat
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby SleepyOrigami on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:33 pm

I assume that Susan must practice using the hammers quite often as she is very skilled in their use and they are important to her. It seems like forever since there has been a good hammering in the comic. I wonder how awesome it will be when all her (assumed) hard work pays off with an awakening. 100 hammers at once? One giant hammer?

Anyways, this strip seems to provide further proof that Sarah has very few friends at this point. I wonder if this is a personal choice or due to some dark secret in her past that has yet to be revealed.
-Please please be the dark secret thing
Those aren't children; they're packets of cream cheese. -SGC2C
"I steal things. <.< >.>"~TingYi, Sept 17, 2010
I stole my current avatar from: here
here
P.S. I like turtles
SleepyOrigami
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tarvok on Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:04 am

The more I read, the more I get the impression that this first arc showed us some last vestige, of immature, junior-highish behavior. Elliot and his Cloak of Solitude. Susan and her bombastic man-hating. Tedd and his awkward glasses-wearing, reflexively perverted self. Nanase's early self-confidence shattered temporarily by growth. All but Grace, whose character's progression is the only one that betrays drift, as opposed to growth... and Sarah, who began as the most "mature" member of the cast (having started her career as "the chick" to "the stupid guys"), but seems to be relaxing now that her friends are growing up a bit (and she sheds an old grudge).

I have to agree with The Old Hack: Susan is a veritable walking Crowning Moment of Awesome, even today. She just doesn't wield the hammers any more. They've all faced danger together multiple times (Sister, Painted Black), and then bonded in a highly intimate fashion (Birthday Party).

Given how little in-comic time has passed for these developments, I have to bring up my "temporal microcosm" theory, once more. It really feels like they've advanced from freshman to junior year in a matter of weeks.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Return to El Goonish Shive