[STORY 1-14-2009] Next on CNN...

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [STORY 1-14-2009] Next on CNN...

Postby Tricia on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:26 am

Why would she invite Cat along if she thought it was about the monster?
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby FerretBob on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:34 am

Cat is another advocate for the Uniform situation therefore, if she succeeds in derailing the monster story in favour of the sexist uniform story, she has someone there to back her up.

(While I am stating this as "fact" it's merely for the extension of the hypothesis. I'm going to wait for more information before I say "this is what's happening")
"We all have our time machines, don't we. Those that take us back are memories... And those that carry us forward, are dreams"

"Some people never go crazy... What truly boring lives they must lead" - Blackie Lawless
FerretBob
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Ostracee on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:55 am

"Lesbian catgirls and crossdressers with daddy issues. This...is CNN."
Ostracee
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DarkShive on Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:59 am

The key thing is MIGHT be about the uniforms, which Catalina said. They're just not taking the chance that it's not.

As for Catalina overhearing something, it's already been established that the news crew is NOT there to report on the uniforms. We also know that they wind up doing so in spite of this, but that still throws a wrench in the eavesdropping Catalina approach.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Reg DeCurry on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:22 am

DarkShive wrote:
Dragonstar wrote:Maybe the Superintendent is a relative?

It's entirely possible that not only is this true, but that he looks a little like Luigi.

Which will lead to Grace getting a "Yoshi" form, no doubt.
I have never seen a giraffe shot out of a cannon through a maternity ward into a bowl of chili. But I oh so desperately want to.

Avatar drawn by Darkshive, colorized by unlucky_days, and animated by xyzzy_n.[/size]
Reg DeCurry
Keenspot Despot

Postby Unforgiven on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:27 am

Having been interviewed myself I'm aware of the tendency of reporters to connect completely unrelated facts. So I'm betting the story is going to be "schoolgirl sets loose monster to fight evil principal about uniforms".

As Knoll's law of media accuracy states, "everything you read in the newspapers is absolutely true except for that rare story of which you happen to have firsthand knowledge." :P
El Goonish Shive Character of the Day:
EGS character of the day

My El Goonish Shive page - home of the English/Uryuomoco Translator and the Character Statistics.
Unforgiven
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:34 am

The Old Hack wrote:I have to agree with Susan. It's really, really strange that Verrückt still has his job.

The head teacher at my school once slept there overnight in order to force it open even though the weather was horrible.

Verruckt is nothing.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:42 am

Illusionist wrote:The head teacher at my school once slept there overnight in order to force it open even though the weather was horrible.

Shouldn't that in this case at least be 'head inmate'?
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:54 am

Apparently not, the bastard still works there.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Huzzus on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:01 am

Last year, my Principal left me in the cafateria closet for 2 hours. It was my punishment *cause I left one class 5 minutes early* so I was suppose to sit in there until lunch was over. A 20 minute lunch period turned into and hour and 40 minutes + lunch of boredom and sleep. The point is, he still has his job.

To the comic ... My two loves Susan and Cat D: but Cat is so adorable in this one. My loyaltiy is to Susan, Cat is ... this sounds rude but Cat's my 2nd love D:
Huzzus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:12 am

Huzzus wrote:Last year, my Principal left me in the cafateria closet for 2 hours. It was my punishment *cause I left one class 5 minutes early* so I was suppose to sit in there until lunch was over. A 20 minute lunch period turned into and hour and 40 minutes + lunch of boredom and sleep. The point is, he still has his job.

...You win. Your prize is a phone call to the NSPCC.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DarkShive on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:20 am

Reg DeCurry wrote:
DarkShive wrote:
Dragonstar wrote:Maybe the Superintendent is a relative?

It's entirely possible that not only is this true, but that he looks a little like Luigi.

Which will lead to Grace getting a "Yoshi" form, no doubt.

I DO want to give Grace a dragon form, but I'm waiting until I can actually give it to her without it being just "oh, look. Dragon form. Whee." That'll probably be a while as far as canon goes.

Verrukt, overall, isn't THAT bad. He's exaggerated for the sake of jokes, but I'd rather have him than an apathetic and/or corrupt principal. At least this guy is TRYING to do right by his students. What he really needs more than anything else is some better guidelines as to how to best do that provided by a source he won't disregard as a hooligan.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:29 am

Looking at the canon as it stands, there really doesn't seem to be any place for dragons.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:34 am

DarkShive wrote:Verrukt, overall, isn't THAT bad. He's exaggerated for the sake of jokes, but I'd rather have him than an apathetic and/or corrupt principal. At least this guy is TRYING to do right by his students. What he really needs more than anything else is some better guidelines as to how to best do that provided by a source he won't disregard as a hooligan.

I admit, the above is true. See the other examples given of bad teachers here, and then look at the principal of Sunnydale High in Buffy season 2 and 3... there are worse things than Verrückt out there. >.<
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tenebrais on Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:57 am

The monochrome is certainly working wonders for the schedule.

Also, Catalina is very cute. One of those characters you just want to hug. Only a matter of time before Susan falls to such a power, then things get really interesting...
Tenebrais
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby agmlego on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:10 am

Tenebrais wrote:Also, Catalina is very cute. One of those characters you just want to hug. Only a matter of time before Susan falls to such a power, then things get really interesting...

I, for one, am awaiting that...although that would leave Justin alone...
"Memento Mori Ergo Carpe Diem"

Inventory here
agmlego
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: Pontiac, MI, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Alpha Universe

Postby Nocturn on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:15 am

Susan is not a lesbian.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ForkBomb on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:19 am

As far as we know.
And doesn't mean she wont give it a try.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby agmlego on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:23 am

ForkBomb wrote:As far as we know.

Especially given her behavior back around Sister I, when she (thought she) wanted to hook up with Ellen.
"Memento Mori Ergo Carpe Diem"

Inventory here
agmlego
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: Pontiac, MI, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Alpha Universe

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:27 am

agmlego wrote:
Tenebrais wrote:Also, Catalina is very cute. One of those characters you just want to hug. Only a matter of time before Susan falls to such a power, then things get really interesting...

Justin: Noah...only Noah...Noah Noah Noah Noah Noah...
Noah: Noah...only Noah...Noah Noah Noah Noah Noah...
Grace: Teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedd...

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tricia on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:56 am

ForkBomb wrote:As far as we know.
The day that happens is the day I give up all hope in Dan.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:57 am

Yeah, because a teenager experimenting with sexuality is totally unrealistic.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tricia on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:00 pm

Illusionist wrote:Yeah, because a teenager experimenting with sexuality is totally unrealistic.
When the teenager is someone as stoic and hardened in their beliefs as Susan...yes. It is.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:03 pm

You mean someone who was willing to experiment with Ellen, and who is clearly willing to have some kind of relationship with Catalina? Besides, stoic =/= unwilling to try new things.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:15 pm

agmlego wrote:

How would that affect Justin? The only time Justin has shown physical attraction to Susan was when she was a guy, and I doubt that's something she is going to make a habit of.
Tricia wrote:
Illusionist wrote:Yeah, because a teenager experimenting with sexuality is totally unrealistic.
When the teenager is someone as stoic and hardened in their beliefs as Susan...yes. It is.

I wouldn't say it's completely out there. She already expressed a wish that she was attracted to women and tried to experiment a little bit by having Ellen zap her during the Night Out storyline. I personally think that having the sentiment that she wishes she was attracted to women is a pretty good indicator that she isn't, but she may still try to see if she can make herself be attracted.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive