[STORY 1-14-2009] Next on CNN...

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [STORY 1-14-2009] Next on CNN...

Postby Tricia on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:21 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:I wouldn't say it's completely out there. She already expressed a wish that she was attracted to women and tried to experiment a little bit by having Ellen zap her during the Night Out storyline. I personally think that having the sentiment that she wishes she was attracted to women is a pretty good indicator that she isn't, but she may still try to see if she can make herself be attracted.
And we all know how that experiment turned out.

Wishing she was attracted to women doesn't mean she is. She knows this. And no matter how much she clicks her heels together and says "There's no place like Lesbianland", it's not going to happen.

I also can't believe you're actually trying to say she can "make" herself be a lesbian. You sound like the parents of homosexual children who try to "fix" their children by "making" them straight.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:26 pm

Sure, Susan can't make herself a lesbian, but does she know that?
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby agmlego on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:36 pm

Illusionist wrote:Sure, Susan can't make herself a lesbian, but does she know that?

She might just have enough willpower to convince herself that she is.
"Memento Mori Ergo Carpe Diem"

Inventory here
agmlego
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: Pontiac, MI, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Alpha Universe

Postby Tricia on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:38 pm

...her experiment with Ellen proved pretty well that she knows she can't make herself a lesbian.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:40 pm

It's a poor scientist that only does one experiment.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Schmorgluck on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:49 pm

I'm with Tricia on this one: considering her past strong misandric views and how she wished she was a lesbian, both Logic and Curiosity (heh) would have her having experimented already. And she probably tried to play with the idea in her mind.
It's not like if she did care that much about her public image, or if her mother would mind (quite the contrary for the latter), or if she prefered to imagine herself going with boys.
Punny bunny
Beers' geek
Roleplayer since 1986

Schmorgluck
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Jan 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Tricia wrote:I also can't believe you're actually trying to say she can "make" herself be a lesbian. You sound like the parents of homosexual children who try to "fix" their children by "making" them straight.

I didn't say she can make herself a lesbian. I said she might still try to make herself attracted, not that she'd be able to do so. And while she does realize that wishing she was attracted isn't going to make it happen she also happens to know about at least one piece of alien technology that can mess with sexuality so she knows that, in EGS, it is possible. I don't think it's likely that she'll continue trying to change herself, but it would hardly be a drastic break in character for her to do so.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby FIonn the Otaku on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:05 pm

The Principle really needs to stop living in mural land and join the rest of the human race. Also seeing Catalina being pulled of her feet by a over eager Susan is amusing.
Fionn the Deadhead and Marxist (of the Groucho variety) Otaku.
"Scum also rises" Words of wisdom from Hunter S. Thompson.
"Remember what the Dormouse said." Good advice From Jefferson Airplane's song White Rabbit.
"And he who made kittens put snakes in the grass." Words of wisdom from Jethro Tull's Bungle in the jungle.
"It's worse than that, it's physics, Jim!" from Star Trekking by the Firm
"There's Klingons on the starboard bow, scrape 'em off, Jim." from Star Trekking by the Firm
"What they need's a d@#n good whacking" From the Beatles' Piggies
The Walrus is dead, Long live the Walrus and the Mock Turtle.
This message has been brought to you by things man was not meant to know, FNORD and my warped sense of humor.
Hail Eris! All hail Discordia! All hail the Flying Spaghetti Monster and Invisible Pink Unicorn!
FIonn the Otaku
Junior Keenspotter

Postby Ineluki on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:13 pm

Of course Susan wouldn't change on the spot now. But I've read enough stories where the author managed to pull something that made it work in the end, anyway. It's all about the experiences that will shape Susan. I can think of a lot of ways that could have an impact on her and thus nudge her in the right direction.
Of course one does not have to be a mind reader to see that this is unlikely to happen in this story or the next. Susan's part in this one seems pretty much set and won't walz over into the Grem/reaper part of SisterII. So I think chances are slim at best in this story - and in the next ones... we'll see who get's the spotlights there.
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby Tuitsuro on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:14 pm

Heck, we don't even know if Catalina's a lesbian for sure. I still think she's confusing some sort of hero worship. Susan's never been asked out before; so she's confused with some idealized, platonic date with her.

Bottom line; EVERYONE'S CONFUSED! :gonk:
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Schmorgluck on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:54 pm

If I read again "principal" written "principle", I'm gonna cry !
Punny bunny
Beers' geek
Roleplayer since 1986

Schmorgluck
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Aeg'air on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Tuitsuro wrote:Heck, we don't even know if Catalina's a lesbian for sure. I still think she's confusing some sort of hero worship. Susan's never been asked out before; so she's confused with some idealized, platonic date with her.

Bottom line; EVERYONE'S CONFUSED! :gonk:

And that is what happens with teenagers anyway.
ImageMy devart page now has stuff!
Inventory
I will soon upload an avvy I have made. Until then I will use this Namin'e avvy for the sake of confusion and the text.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aeg'air
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Wanderer on Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Schmorgluck wrote:If I read again "principal" written "principle", I'm gonna cry !

Prynzyble! :P

Prints-able?
I am... no one.
The Wanderer
Keenspot Despot

Postby ChibiCarrera on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:05 pm

I almost think that Dan could pull off a Susan/Catalina really well. That is, if he didn't mind going away from the current storyline right now.

However, I think it would only involve one date. Susan would see it as just hanging out as friends, Catalina would be another story.
Ending in mass hysteria and confusion.
This makes me cry everytime
ChibiCarrera
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chaos Priest on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:12 pm

The Wanderer wrote:
Schmorgluck wrote:If I read again "principal" written "principle", I'm gonna cry !

Prynzable?
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby DemonicAngel on Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:21 pm

The principle's principals were against the principals of principles everywhere
DemonicAngela - Gender changed bunny
Warning: Read this, and lose the game.
DemonicAngel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tuitsuro on Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:07 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:
The Wanderer wrote:

Prynzable?

:lol: Best laugh I've had all day!
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tarvok on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:05 pm

Illusionist wrote:Looking at the canon as it stands, there really doesn't seem to be any place for dragons.

HOW? Dan's "everything is magic" kitchen sink approach to the setting allows for the possibility of ANYTHING.
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

Postby DemonicAngel on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:24 pm

Aliens, fine. Coverable up. Magic, fine. That can be covered up too. But giant, house sized, scaly, winged, fire breathing lizards? (Admittedly, that is just the main Western interpretation). Not so easy to cover up. And since no-ones ever mentioned them before, it'd be hard to work them in without breaking the background somewhat.
DemonicAngel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby The Old Hack on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:28 pm

DemonicAngel wrote:Aliens, fine. Coverable up. Magic, fine. That can be covered up too. But giant, house sized, scaly, winged, fire breathing lizards? (Admittedly, that is just the main Western interpretation). Not so easy to cover up. And since no-ones ever mentioned them before, it'd be hard to work them in without breaking the background somewhat.

Bah, they are so easy to cover up. All you need is to have them trail a banner behind them that reads "Ordinary if large bird" when they fly around and no-one will notice them.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:30 pm

I've actually met a woman who spent years in a Lesbian relationship before she and her partner both realized they were really straight. They were extreme feminists who for a time felt that being attracted to men was a betrayal of their principals. (JOKE! I know it's principles.)
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Ranma_2k8 on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:34 pm

DemonicAngel wrote:Aliens, fine. Coverable up. Magic, fine. That can be covered up too. But giant, house sized, scaly, winged, fire breathing lizards? (Admittedly, that is just the main Western interpretation). Not so easy to cover up. And since no-ones ever mentioned them before, it'd be hard to work them in without breaking the background somewhat.

Oh, please. You don't really think those are dinosaur bones in the museum, do you? :lol:
"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - Elbert Hubbard
Ranma_2k8
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tenebrais on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:40 pm

Why does a dragon have to be the size of a house? I can easily imagine a cat size dragon.
I want a cat-size dragon.

Anyway. Shive only mentioned a dragon form, which doesn't technically require there to be an actual dragon anywhere.
Tenebrais
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby DemonicAngel on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:53 pm

yeah, but he also mentioned a specific reason for gaining a dragon form. This implies to me that he's not just gonna have Tedd whip one up in the lab for her...he's gonna put some thought into it.

Plus, I think everyone would like a cat-size dragon. They be cute.
DemonicAngel
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tarvok on Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:12 pm

I always wanted my very own firedrake, ever since I saw the original cover for Magician: Apprentice.

And, oh yeah: the comic. I LOVE it when Susan gets all enthusiastic. In other words: Susan! SQUEE!! ^o^
To those who understand
I extend my hand
To the doubtful I demand
Take me as I am
Tarvok
Keenspot Despot

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive