[STORY 1/12/2009] And I had better not hear you singing!

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

Re: [STORY 1/12/2009] And I had better not hear you singing!

Postby Tricia on Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:19 am

I hate to say it...but I'm really forced to agree. It's not the change to black and white that bothers me...it's the change to strictly black and white. The first thing that stuck out like a sore thumb was Catalina's hair. She looks like a platinum blonde. The outline on Susan's hair as a pseudo-glare or whatever just looks goofy. I almost dread getting into a scene with Grace in it. She'll probably end up looking albino white like everyone else.

I really do sympathize with your plight, Dan. I'm all for anything that has you getting out comics more reliably. And I'm sure this is something I could get used to...eventually. But I just don't think this is EGS. It's just too...flat and uninteresting. Nothing pops out. Even pre-color days, there was still art that could stand out. This looks like Family Circus or some other uninteresting bland comic in the paper.

Like I said...if this is the only way you can work out getting a full schedule, then so be it. But I'd suggest trying some sort of compromise that would help things be at least a little less flat, but still be quicker than color.

Just my 1/50th of a dollar.
I love Darryl, yes I do.
And I love Noxy too.
Tricia
Keenspot Despot

Postby Miyu Denicalis on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:44 am

Jenerix525 wrote:I agree that the principal's rant was hilarious, but it also raises a serious issue: Too many teens rebel with no reason or without understanding their own clothes. For this reason, it is necessary for people to go out and find people wearing "rebellious clothes and tell them what they really mean!

Like those Che Guevara shirts. I like the variations with extra slogans like "I really don't know who this is." or "Che Guevara: Fooling middle class white kids since 1967".

Did this, then realized that I'm super tired and need to go fall unconscious.
Ortus Denicalis
Raven Winged Angel
Miyu Denicalis
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby nitpicking on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:47 am

FWIW, I had no trouble telling that Catalina and Susan were in different scenes.

My reaction to the b&w art is that it's gloomy. After the color comics, switching to this style makes me feel like these scenes take place at night. Maybe that's just me, or maybe Dan means this particular sequence to be gloomy.

Also, does Principal Verruckt look bigger than he did in the previous art style?
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby nitpicking on Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:52 am

Wait a minute, demerits? Since when do American schools have demerits?
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby The Old Hack on Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:21 am

nitpicking wrote:Wait a minute, demerits? Since when do American schools have demerits?

Since Verrückt introduced them. Duh. :shifty:
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby raekuul on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:03 am

The Old Hack wrote:
Chaos Priest wrote:
DarkShive wrote:Outdoor lockers?! MADNESS!

No, California, though I will admit that there's little difference.

THIS! IS!! SO-CAL!!!

Fixed for meter.

Anyway, here's my two cents on the lack of color: this looks like what I always thought he does right before coloring it. Miyu proves that it's perfectly ready for coloring, once Dan is nice and ready to color them.
The News wrote:As those who saw the original version of today's comic are well aware, an edit has taken place. In the original upload, the second panel was completely uncensored. Boy, was THAT embarrassing!

raekuul's thoughts wrote:http://www.egscomics.com/d/20031128.html, last panel.
http://www.egscomics.com/d/20080819.html, fourth panel.

Leave it to a dormant witch to have access to knowledge magic.
raekuul
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby CidGregor on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:04 am

Miyu Denicalis wrote:Image

Miyu, I would hire/enslave you as my color-artist in a heartbeat. That is a fantastic coloring job.
"Nice guys finish last......but only because we have farther to go." - Lord Belgarion

"Lesbians are Neato!" - Tedd Verres

My EGS Fanfiction:
Twin Envy, ALTERNATE ENDING ADDED APRIL 23RD '08!
Basic Instinct, COMPLETED AUGUST 1ST '08!
CidGregor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby OzLionHeart on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:10 am

Nice colouring job there, Miyu.

Although I have to admit, the black and white actually seems to emphasise the mood of the confrontation between Susan and Verruckt.

Also, am I the only one thinking that Catalina looked like she was reacting to the change to black-and-white? "What the..? Did I miss a memo or something?"
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Unforgiven on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:29 am

Amazing colouring, Miyu. Dan should get a colouring artist, similar to the way the Wotch does it (and they also post comics in b/w if they aren't coloured on time and then update them later so it doesn't delay anything). :)
El Goonish Shive Character of the Day:
EGS character of the day

My El Goonish Shive page - home of the English/Uryuomoco Translator and the Character Statistics.
Unforgiven
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Nocturn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:36 am

Miyu, that's like a 300% improvement and instills that comic with a lot of life and warmth and all those vaguely meaningless terms of endearment. Dan should totally recruit you as a colourist. It would be GLORIOUS!

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby CidGregor on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:43 am

I endorse this idea.

No, really. I'm dead serious, that would be fantastic beyond all measure. Lots of webcomics have separate writers and artists, or line-artists and colorers, or what-have-you. That could actually work here.
"Nice guys finish last......but only because we have farther to go." - Lord Belgarion

My EGS Fanfiction:
CidGregor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:45 am

Miyu Denicalis wrote:Image

This is a great argument in favour of colour comics. I've never seen anyone take a colour comic and turn it black and white. Also, seconding everyone who says Dan should get you to colour the comics. You obviously enjoy it, and you always do a dynamite job.

Also, Dan, the box setting the scene. You know how it says "Earlier"? WHY IN THE GODDAMN HELL ARE WE ONLY SEEING IT NOW IF IT HAPPENED BEFORE EVERYTHING IN TEDD'S BASEMENT? I hate the way you jump around the timeframe with absolutely no narrative lubricant. It can be incredibly jarring.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Miyu Denicalis on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:52 am

^^ Thanks.
SPOILERS:To be honest, I was just doing something pretty rough and ready. The style that the comic was in, while a lot of you seem to not like it compared to the ones with grayscale shading, meant it was pretty easy to just put down some flat colours and have it look pretty good and clean.
Considering it didn't involve any of the things I've been trying to force myself to improve at, such as proper lighting or doing hair strands/texture, didn't even do any shading for the white shirts, and took less than 3 hours, even including lying down for a bit and getting distracted playing with the cat, I have the feeling that its the quality of the basic thing that helped.
I probably WOULD be happy enough to colour the comics for Dan, if he actually wanted someone to do that. But I don't think that would happen. :p
Besides, I don't think I could keep it up in perpetuity, since eventually it could start to feel like a job, which is funnily similar to Dans reasons for switch back to non-colour. xD

Also, Dan, the box setting the scene. You know how it says "Earlier"? WHY IN THE GODDAMN HELL ARE WE ONLY SEEING IT NOW IF IT HAPPENED BEFORE EVERYTHING IN TEDD'S BASEMENT? I hate the way you jump around the timeframe with absolutely no narrative lubricant. It can be incredibly jarring.

I think its ok, its just a little jarring due to the gap in updates and change of art with it. In this case, it went from following the thread, all the stuff about Elliot and Ellen out of the way, getting all the exposition done and settling that, before getting Elliots reaction to the news, before following that nice tidbit of information and going back to follow Susan. It finishes one plot thread, drops the end of another and takes us back to follow it.

Edit: Also, I kinda thought the Ellen feeling bad thing was just about her having it much easier than Elliot, along with her having laughed about it earlier and just realizing how awkward it was going to be for him. I tend to be bad at picking up on potential foreshadowing of something worth focusing on though. :-?
Doubleedit: Dans commentary on the "How....Awkward" comic about it?
Last edited by Miyu Denicalis on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ortus Denicalis
Raven Winged Angel
Miyu Denicalis
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Illusionist on Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:55 am

The problem is, the last few comics introduced Ellen feeling bad. That's yet another subplot, and as it was linked to the main plot of those strips, it seemed logical that it would get sorted out first. Now I don't know if we'll have to wait until after this sub-plot, or if we'll get something with Grace, or Lord Tedd, or even what day the next mini-arc will be set on.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby AFNB on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:12 am

Where are you?
Where are you?
Where are you my heart's desire?
My heart is true,
but where are you?
Only you can quench the fire...

Netcookies for anyone who gets the reference (hint: it has nothing to do with the actual comic)

Additionally: all in favor of Dan recruiting Miyu for a colorist on a trial basis?
He came, said his piece, then sodded off.

Callahan's Law:
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased
(and bad puns are always appreciated).

A Friendly Neighborhood Bunny
AFNB
Keenspot Despot

Postby CidGregor on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:12 am

Miyu, the fact that you say that color job was lazily half-assed just kind of makes us wonder how well you could do if you REALLY tried.

My EGS Fanfiction:
CidGregor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Illusionist on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:14 am

CidGregor wrote:Miyu, the fact that you say that color job was lazily half-assed just kind of makes us wonder how well you could do if you REALLY tried.

I got hard just thinking about how awesome that would look.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby OzLionHeart on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:15 am

Just a bit TMI there, Illusionist...

AFNB wrote:...all in favor of Dan recruiting Miyu for a colorist on a trial basis?

Got my vote.
Image Image Image Image
My inventory/extended profile | My wiki page

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!" - HHGTTG
"I'm supposed to know how magic works?" - Ellen

Ciennas, on my RP style: "I like how your characters can travel through the brink of insanity, catch the reflected light of eternity off of a whole wave of attacking zombie plant things, and still be able to calmly get people out of danger and towards safety."
OzLionHeart
Keenspot Deity

Postby Illusionist on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:17 am

OzLionHeart wrote:Just a bit TMI there, Illusionist...

Your fault for imagining it.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Raging Mouse on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:17 am

AFNB wrote:Additionally: all in favor of Dan recruiting Miyu for a colorist on a trial basis?

I miss the colours, but I do not miss them enough to support this. This is no different from any other large-scale fan-based coloring of the comic; something Dan dislikes. All this is getting rather tiresome, in fact, so I'd be quite content if the matter died down already...

That being said, I know I'll be hunting for avatar material to colour. I know, a bit hypocritical, but it's a pleasant pastime.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:20 am

There's a difference between someone colouring comics for fun, and Miyu doing it officially.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Raging Mouse on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:22 am

Illusionist wrote:There's a difference between someone colouring comics for fun, and Miyu doing it officially.

The difference is Dan's acceptance. Now read not only the wording but the spirit of my previous post.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nocturn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:24 am

Illusionist wrote:Also, Dan, the box setting the scene. You know how it says "Earlier"? WHY IN THE GODDAMN HELL ARE WE ONLY SEEING IT NOW IF IT HAPPENED BEFORE EVERYTHING IN TEDD'S BASEMENT? I hate the way you jump around the timeframe with absolutely no narrative lubricant. It can be incredibly jarring.

I didn't even realise it took place before the last scene. I just dismissed it as the end of the next school day or something, because I entirely overlooked that box. So, yeah, I have to agree with Illusionist here, you're not exactly Tarantino, Dan.

And, again, as Illusionist said, there's a world of difference between a fan doing it for no reason and someone doing it in a collaboration with Dan. Of course, if Miyu actually did that officially, he or she would be in any financial success, and Dan wouldn't have that without contract stuff, and given Dan's usual stance on legal matters, which is to say, avoiding them as much as possible, this, too, is just a pretty idea that is trapped in the realm of dreams.
Last edited by Nocturn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby CidGregor on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:25 am

@ Mouse: As Illusionist said, I think what we meant was less of a fan-coloring project and more an actual partner in crime. Like Ryan Sohmer and Lar DeSouza of LICD, or Chris Hastings and Ken Archer and Carly Monardo of Dr McNinja. If Dan doesn't want to accept such official services, then meh, that's his choice, but be real. This is the internet. Stopping people from doing everything from coloring it to Rule 34-ing it is like trying to stop the tide.

My EGS Fanfiction:
CidGregor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby agmlego on Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:30 am

@Miyu: Very nice job! /me likes.

As to the proposed plan for Miyu to colour comics, I would think that is up to Dan, and Dan only. Seeing as he has not yet commented on this thread, we have no idea what his opinions on the matter are.
"Memento Mori Ergo Carpe Diem"

Inventory here
agmlego
Keenspotter Supreme

Location: Pontiac, MI, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Alpha Universe

PreviousNext

Return to El Goonish Shive