[STORY 1/12/2009] And I had better not hear you singing!

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

[STORY 1/12/2009] And I had better not hear you singing!

Postby Nasrudith on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:26 pm

Permalinky. I can't help but feel that his tangent was based off of his past experiences. (As hard as imagining ol' walrus face as a biker is.) Unfortunately they're totally irrelevant.

On another note the new style is fine.
Currently Nass for Sister II.
Vote Dan Shive for president of the united states! Who cares that he is too young to run!
XP: 485
Inventory: Newbie Kit with, TF Gun Kamikaze Add-On. 5 Sharpened Brownies
Favorite EGS Comic
Quotes:
"Please tell me it has nothing to with your current lack of pants."
The Slowly in Progress El Goonish GURPs feedback is appreciated by pm or posts.
Nasrudith
Keenspot Despot

Re: [STORY 1/12/2009] And I had better not hear you singing!

Postby Challis on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:30 pm

I thought he sounded like I do when I am trying to make an point and forget what it is part way through. The new art style is nice, just sudden( it took my eyes an few moments to be able to read it without the colour). Also, Catalina's hair looks fine, like hair should at the end of the day :) heh
um yah, no dead eggs, creepy, here is an living egg right now- Image
I finally decided to see what these eggs were all about...odd
Challis
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:33 pm

Commentary wrote:He’s a guy who cares, tries hard and means well, but is completely nuts.

Well it's nice to know I had the right impression of him. He means well, but the guy is completely off his rocker, to the point of not being able to do his job. Personally I think Verruckt would be a lot happier (and possibly even effective) as the principle of an elementary school or something, where the kids are still cute and swayable by murals.

Anyway, anybody care to take a guess as to what it was that Catalina saw in the second panel? I'm thinking it was the news crew.
Nasrudith wrote:I can't help but feel that his tangent was based off of his past experiences. (As hard as imagining ol' walrus face as a biker is.)

Nah, I think he just believes those cheesy movies and stereotypes from 30-50 years ago (from when he was a teen) are accurate.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nightranger on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:41 pm

Yeah, the black and white art was startling. I thought for a second he might be taking the Megatokyo rout and posting an unfinished comic for a second. Personally, I really liked color, myself, but it's Dan's comic.

I love Susan's flat, slightly ominous "Hello, Principal." That, with her equally emotionless acceptance of her punishment would be pretty disconserting, I'd imagine.

Mr. Walrus's "slippery sloap of doomness" was also hilarious. I'd just as soon leave the greased hair, but picturing Susan as the leader of a motorcycle gang and wearing a leather jacket is...cool. :D
MARTIN: What?
DANIEL: Okay. One, that's Star Trek; and two, it's ridiculous.
MARTIN: What's wrong with it?
CARTER: "The singularity is about to explode?"
MARTIN: Yes.
CARTER: Everything about that statement is wrong.
DANIEL: How exactly is having weapons at maximum going to help the situation?
MARTIN: The audience isn't going to know the difference. They love: "weapons at maximum."
MITCHELL: Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment.
TEAL’C: I do not understand why everything in this script must inevitably explode.
MARTIN: Look, you guys may all know how things really work out there in the galaxy, but I know the film business. Explosions make great trailers. Simple fact. More explosions, better trailer. Better trailer, more viewers.

I have discovered that Death Note + Lucky Star = awsome.
Here's more proof.
Nightranger
Keenspot Despot

Postby Circe on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:49 pm

O.o

So Susan (according to the principal at least) is Danny Zuko? Who is Sandy then, Catalina? No, Catalina has to be Rizzo. Sarah? She's blonde and is probably the most "perky" of the main cast. (tries hard to imagine Tedd as one of the T-Birds and fails miserably) Tedd is so Frenchy it's not even funny....

Anyway, I'm very glad to see the return of comics! I understand Dan's reasons for going to B&W but you'll have to count me among those who'd rather see them in color. Just my opinion...and I have to say if B&W means more comics that's a very good thing. Maybe we'll see color on title pages or the occasional pivotal panel.

So what did Catalina see outside the school? Elliot transforming? Tedd zapping? Aliens landing? Enquiring minds want to know!
"I do not dwell on the past, dahling, it distracts from the now."
- Edna Mode, The Incredibles

"The world is a mess and I just need to rule it."
- Dr. Horrible, Dr. Horrible's Sing A Long Blog

Silly, amateurish artwork available at deviantART.

Got a SecondLife? Find me there as "Circe Silvera"!
Circe
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:52 pm

And so it resumes. :) Verrückt is, as usual, living up to his name. Susan's interactions with him remind me of occasional experiences I have had with people who argue with (or against) constructs in their head. I've never been able to reason with such people, and it is an unhappy situation indeed when one of them achieves a position of authority.

As to Catalina, I give it even odds as to whether she has stumbled into the aforementioned news crew or El Goonish Rock in the middle of some mysterious magic. If the former, it would at least be no surprise how the news crew reached Susan -- Catalina unquestionably has the wits to lead it straight to her.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby BZWingZero on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:55 pm

Nightranger wrote:...but picturing Susan as the leader of a motorcycle gang and wearing a leather jacket is...cool. :D

That would make an excellent filler comic. One could hope.

Upon first hearing about the new color-less style I was skeptical, however this comic really benefits from the B&W. I like it, and the new font seals it.

/Back to lurking
This message encrypted with ROT26 to ensure a secure communication channel.
BZWingZero
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby eman on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:09 pm

Panel Layout Criticism: If panels 1 & 2 are supposed to be separate from the rest of the comic, then why is panel 3 squeezed in right next to them without any transition? I was confused and thought Catalina said "I see you're still being stubborn" there for a minute.

If I were making this, I would make panel 3 start the second row (or find a way to combine it with panel 4), or I would have made a transition/divider between panels 2 and 3 to show that 3 is in a different place/time.
eman
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Tuitsuro on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:17 pm

Mewonders if we just got a bit of the Principal's past life there...

eman wrote:Panel Layout Criticism: If panels 1 & 2 are supposed to be separate from the rest of the comic, then why is panel 3 squeezed in right next to them without any transition? I was confused and thought Catalina said "I see you're still being stubborn" there for a minute.

Webcomicker's corollary for the 180° rule?
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby DarkShive on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:20 pm

I'll be the first to admit that the transition between panel 2 and 3 is not perfect. I was working under the idea that the establishing shot in the first panel being outside combined with Susan being at her locker would make it clear enough. I think it will be clear to some and a moment to pause for others, but a better done setup could have helped.

...Which I probably could have done if I wasn't so anal about making it clear why there weren't a bunch of other people around and if I had more confidence in my locker scene drawing abilities. I could have drawn the third panel as a more effective establishing shot.

EDIT: Ok, "locker scene" just doesn't sound right ^^;
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Tuitsuro on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:30 pm

DarkShive wrote:EDIT: Ok, "locker scene" just doesn't sound right ^^;

'Susan and Verruckt - Locker Room Scene'? I'm betting Susan beat you with the script after reading that unfortunately-labeled plot title. ;)
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby ProfessorTomoe on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:51 pm

DarkShive wrote:I'll be the first to admit that the transition between panel 2 and 3 is not perfect. I was working under the idea that the establishing shot in the first panel being outside combined with Susan being at her locker would make it clear enough.

Having seen some schools where the lockers are outside (e.g., California), I fear it might not be clear enough for some.
RIMMER: "So, Lister, what are you telling us? You're a closet squirrel? Behind closed doors, you parade up and down with a strap-on bushy tail calling yourself 'Nutkin?'"
Dame HelenNet: "Damn you, ProfessorTomoe! You defeated me in the beauty contest, you shall NOT defeat me here!"
High Magister Marshmallum, Minister of FISH

Read the Professor's Wiki and visit his avatar and fanart galleries...but Beware the Seconding!
ProfessorTomoe
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby CidGregor on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:52 pm

I guess I'm going to be the only one still saying this, but after going for a year with full color....yeah, this is kind of ugly. EGS has proven to me over the last year that it is a very bright and colorful and lively world and now it feels like someone completely drained the life out of it.

I'm sorry you don't like doing color, but the comic was so, so much better with it.
"Nice guys finish last......but only because we have farther to go." - Lord Belgarion

"Lesbians are Neato!" - Tedd Verres

My EGS Fanfiction:
Twin Envy, ALTERNATE ENDING ADDED APRIL 23RD '08!
Basic Instinct, COMPLETED AUGUST 1ST '08!
CidGregor
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DarkShive on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:57 pm

ProfessorTomoe wrote:
DarkShive wrote:I'll be the first to admit that the transition between panel 2 and 3 is not perfect. I was working under the idea that the establishing shot in the first panel being outside combined with Susan being at her locker would make it clear enough.

Having seen some schools where the lockers are outside (e.g., California), I fear it might not be clear enough for some.

Outdoor lockers?! MADNESS!
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Greyryder on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:14 pm

I actually didn't even notice the lack of color, at first.

As to the prinicipal; I hate to quote Tonya Harding, but "Someone needs to smack that man around."
Greyryder
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Chaos Priest on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:26 pm

DarkShive wrote:
ProfessorTomoe wrote:

Outdoor lockers?! MADNESS!

No, California, though I will admit that there's little difference.

I remember my high school had outdoor lockers (due to being an open campus) although none of the students were allowed to actually use them. It was the presence of the ceiling in panel 4 that tipped me off to Catalina not being where Susan is.
Currently a Chaos Priestess.

"I don't want to be quoted, and don't quote that I don't want to be quoted." - Winston Burdett
Minionning for Cameo
Chaos Priest
Keenspot Despot

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:34 pm

Chaos Priest wrote:
DarkShive wrote:Outdoor lockers?! MADNESS!

No, California, though I will admit that there's little difference.

THIS! IS!! CALIFORNIA!!!
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Kyrio on Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:04 pm

I actually didn't notice it was black and white until I read the commentary...

I think my perception stat is low.
Kyrio
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby kyevan on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:12 pm

Hmm. I hope you do color those occasional panels that look fun to color and show them to us now and then... if for no other reason than I start to forget colors and assign new ones after a few months :J
Whee! Little Dragon! ^_^
kyevan
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby horus on Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:17 am

'Nuff said by me about color vs. b & w in another thread already. Maybe.

Glad to see things progressing in the confrontations between Herr Verruckt and Susan. Long may she wave (the hair, folks, the hair!).

I'm also curious to see what Catalina saw in panel one. Let's hope it's the news crew as others have already suggested.

Herr Verruckt is so farblondjet here! I love it!

Later On,
D
Incarnating as Het-heru for the duration of the Sister II story arc.

"It is my firm belief that it is a mistake to hold firm beliefs."
A Proud Member of Quote Pyramid Demolition Workers' Union Local No. 72
XP: We don't need no stinkin' XP (yet)!
EGS Inventory: Standard Newbie Pack (1 dead fish, 6 cans of unlabeled soda, 1 TF gun, 1 Squirrel teddy, "1 Thing I've forgotten" (from who?), a copy of Cat Chicks Magazine, and a Grace VooDoo doll.
Image Image
ImageImage
horus
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Raging Mouse on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:32 am

If we only could guarantee no schoolchildren in the world will ever be subjected to Verrückt's last comment, or variations thereof, the world would be a better place.
Raging Mouse
Keenspot Despot

Postby Miyu Denicalis on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:58 am

Speaking as someone who sometimes colours comics for the heck of it, I don't mind the change to B+W and certainly if its better for Dan this way.
In fact, I might colour this comic in a bit.
Edit: Figures that the very first black and white comic is also the first appearence of a character since colour started, so theres no colour reference. xD
Editedit: Though, now I'm having an odd half-memory...*checks to see if there was a colour filler with him*
Ortus Denicalis
Raven Winged Angel
Miyu Denicalis
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Tybalt on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:12 am

New comic, at last ! :P *squees*

eman wrote:Panel Layout Criticism: If panels 1 & 2 are supposed to be separate from the rest of the comic, then why is panel 3 squeezed in right next to them without any transition? I was confused and thought Catalina said "I see you're still being stubborn" there for a minute.

Seconded. That, and the beginning made me hope for a new Susan-Catalina scene.

The new B&W seems okay to me. Of course it's a little disturbing after so many comics in color, but after a few panels we'll get used to it.
Tybalt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby Jenerix525 on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:24 am

Miyu Denicalis wrote: for the heck of it,

And that's another demerit for swearing. You'll never be a productive member of society at this rate.

I agree that the principal's rant was hilarious, but it also raises a serious issue: Too many teens rebel with no reason or without understanding their own clothes. For this reason, it is necessary for people to go out and find people wearing "rebellious clothes and tell them what they really mean!

Back to the comic, I have no problem with the greyscale comics. While I liked the colour, it was nowhere near as important as most of the other great things Dan puts into the comics.
My Wiki Page, The Wiki in general
Fond of creating characters inspired by songs; I once made a pair of characters based on Red Flag.
Let me know if I am wanted/needed somewhere and seem to have forgotten. Not as rare as you might expect.
Monkeys don't fly, Marguerite
Jenerix525
Keenspot Despot

Postby Nocturn on Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:53 am

The sudden change from colour to black-and-white is somewhat unsettling, but I guess it can't be helped. I can't help but feel the black and white comics from before the change to colour looked different to this comic, but that may just be my memory playing tricks on me.

Pseudo-edit: Yeah, I don't like this art-wise. The pre-colour comics had fancy things like shading and shades of gray and such. Compared to that, this new purely-b&w thing just bothers me. I just can't bring myself to like this.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive