EGS no longer in color [news Jan/10]

It means "The Goonish Shive."

Moderators: DarkShive, corran_star, Berk

EGS no longer in color [news Jan/10]

Postby Gazing Rabbit on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:07 am

Personally, if it would mean more strips, I'm OK with you disposing of shading as well.

Remember the time EGS updated every weekday? You know why it doesn't anymore? I'll tell you why.
It's because Dan wastes his time doing awesome art on every single strip. The thing is Dan, that we don't read your comic for the art. We know that you like to push your talents and experiment with new things, and we respect that. But you must remember that (at least for the comics) it can get counterproductive.
I've been reading EGS for a long time now (years), and frankly, I think your comics was awesome back when it was just line art. When you look around, you see a linear correlation between a webcomic's art quality and its release schedule, and I think you're heading for the one strip per week art quality. This is not bad by itself, since it means you're getting better as an artist. But then again, EGS's pacing isn't fast enough as it is. Making it weekly will just kill it.

My humble opinion, of course. I suggest you reserve coloring for special occasions, or to when it would actually be important to a scene.
Comment best view with your common sense turned "on".
Gazing Rabbit
Junior Keenspotter

Re: EGS no longer in color [news Jan/10]

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:47 am

As a medium, black and white art and comics are often greatly underrated. Some of the best comics I have ever read were in black and white throughout their runs. In fact, in some cases adding colour makes it harder to appreciate the artwork as colouration may distract from it. I know that while 'Usagi Yojimbo' by the esteemed Stan Sakai for a time ran in colour, I preferred it to be in black and white.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby DarkShive on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:03 am

I agree, which is one of the reasons I want to go B&W. I enjoy working in black and white, I like the LOOK of black and white, AND I get done faster with black and white. Seriously, my goal is three comics a week, and the time it takes to color two comics is roughly how long it would take to make a third black and white one instead.
El Goonish Shive - My Deviant Art Page
"Those shoes are definitely bi-curious." - Jack Donaghy, 30 Rock
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Location: Burn the land and boil the sea; you can't take the sky from me...

Postby Ineluki on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:08 am

I'm sorry, stylistically I still can't find a single upside to it.
The Old Hack wrote:Some of the best comics I have ever read were in black and white throughout their runs.

In case you mean webcomics, care to provide some links? I /do/ try to find upsides here, but...
Image_Image_Image
My DeviantArt Page - EGS Personality Quiz
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:17 am

Sinfest
I LOVE the artwork at Sinfest. The early stuff isn't that awesome, but that's the age old story of web comics.

I also like Bone. I know they're doing a special release color version, and hey, that might be an idea for EGS in the future.

PS238, the only reason I go to my local comic book store about once a month regularly, is also a comic I like the art of. It started out in a weird greyscale with some REALLY thick lines, but since has become more pure B&W and looks great.

In the end, as should go without saying, it's subjective.
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Postby Ineluki on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:34 am

can't find any strips of Bone and PS238 online, but I've read Sinfest for a long time and it's one of the very few that still make it into my daily list.
Actually I never really thought much about the artwork. Now I wonder if he does it all digitally, too. Doubt it though.
Anyway, going through a few strips again makes me realize a few things:
a) he often goes into greyscale or dithering. especially if unusual props/people apart from the main cast are involved.
b) the sunday strips.
c) the very dynamic line width that's just missing in the recent egs:np.
Image_Image_Image
»I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it.« - Joker
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby DarkShive on Mon Jan 12, 2009 6:57 am

There will be some grey; just used very sparingly.

I'll say what I said before: if I'm not going to do EGS the way I want to do it, then it's not worth it for me.
DarkShive
Meddling Squirrel

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 7:59 am

Gazing Rabbit wrote:Remember the time EGS updated every weekday? You know why it doesn't anymore? I'll tell you why.
It's because Dan wastes his time doing awesome art on every single strip.

Yes, tell an Art student that doing good drawings is a waste of time.

Hey! Musicians of the world! As long as your lyrics are good, it doesn't matter if you're worse than the Sex Pistols!

Yeah, right.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Dragonstar on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:02 am

Ineluki wrote:can't find any strips of Bone and PS238 online,

http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ps238/comics/index.php There ya go!

ETA: The only issue I have is with new characters. With knowledge of the main characters' colors, I typically see the B&W and Greyscale comics in color in my mind. However, it gets kinda weird when new characters are introduced with me having no knowledge of their colorations. It is a very small issue, nothing to alter any course over, but it is there.
Last edited by Dragonstar on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonstar
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby AFNB on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:11 am

Illusionist wrote:
Gazing Rabbit wrote:Remember the time EGS updated every weekday? You know why it doesn't anymore? I'll tell you why.
It's because Dan wastes his time doing awesome art on every single strip.

Yes, tell an Art student that doing good drawings is a waste of time.

Hey! Musicians of the world! As long as your lyrics are good, it doesn't matter if you're worse than the Sex Pistols!

Yeah, right.

Medium makes a lot of difference, Illu.

Grab your newspaper. Go to the funnies. Read your favorites. Now, look at them again, and consider their art.
He came, said his piece, then sodded off.

Callahan's Law:
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased
(and bad puns are always appreciated).

A Friendly Neighborhood Bunny
AFNB
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:15 am

Dan is not, as far as I know, a literature student. He is an ART student. Saying that art is anything less than vital is pretty pointless when we're discussing a man who spends thousands of dollars and several years of his life so he can be a better artist.

Oh, and please don't shorten my username. It bugs me.
The book is almost always better than the movie. You could have no better case in point than FROM HELL, Alan Moore's best graphic novel to date, brilliantly illustrated by Eddie Campbell. It's hard to describe just how much better the book is. It's like, "If the movie was an episode of Battlestar Galactica with a guest appearance by the Smurfs and everyone spoke Dutch, the graphic novel is Citizen Kane with added sex scenes and music by your favourite ten bands and everyone in the world you ever hated dies at the end." That's how much better it is. - Warren Ellis.

Nobody ever told Picard that "Ye cannae change the laws of Physics!". They just DID it. - Vampiress Kat.
Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Nocturn on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:24 am

Who reads EGS for the art? Seriously?

Clearly Dan should consider either writing in the style of plays, that is to say, just dialogue and basic instructions, or if art is that necessary, draw stick figures. IT WILL STILL BE EGS AND I WILL STILL LOVE IT.

So, yeah, essentially what Illusionist says. EGS is a VISUAL medium. To imply otherwise is simply foolish.

ilikepie wrote:Noxy = love + insanity + sharp pointy objects
Nocturn
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tuitsuro on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:52 am

If story was all that was required then I'd have loved the end of Avalon.

I'm fine with going back to b/w or grayscale; but there's going to be some integral parts of the story (ie. Nanase's magic abilities, for one) which uniquely rely on the use of color. So it'll be interesting to see how Dan writes around that obstacle.
Tuitsuro
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby AFNB on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:00 am

Illusionist wrote:Oh, and please don't shorten my username. It bugs me.

Sorry, Illusionist. I'll try to remember that.

Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu Illu.
He came, said his piece, then sodded off.

Callahan's Law:
Shared pain is lessened, shared joy is increased
(and bad puns are always appreciated).

A Friendly Neighborhood Bunny
AFNB
Keenspot Despot

Postby Illusionist on Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:04 am

Thanks.

Illusionist
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby The Old Hack on Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:09 am

Ineluki wrote:In case you mean webcomics, care to provide some links? I /do/ try to find upsides here, but...

At the moment, the best possible example I can think of is Girl Genius, where the first three issues were printed in black and white. I suspect this was very much done intentionally by Foglio to show how the world appeared before and after Agatha lost the pendant that suppressed her Spark, just like the classic Oz movie began in black and white and only became colourised when the setting switched from Kansas to Oz.

The story starts here.

I consider this a close to ideal example as you can directly compare the coloured pages with the noncoloured pages. And while the coloured pages certainly have great merit, I nonetheless feel a special fondness for the first three black and white issues.
Check out the test to find out who you are!
The Old Hack
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby Daremo on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:06 pm

I completely missed the bit about the colour, being caught up in the font(about the font:are you sure those were different?).

I have to say a black and white comic wholly receives my approval, as I'm used to the manga aesthetic. An occasional colour supplement or filler would still give Dan a chance to work on his colouring skills as he has time and finds fun.
"Maybe he's wise."
"He don't look wise."

Daremo
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Location: Over the Mountains of the Moon, down the Valley of the Shadow.

Postby Ineluki on Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:36 pm

Dragonstar wrote:
Ineluki wrote:can't find any strips of Bone and PS238 online,
http://nodwick.humor.gamespy.com/ps238/comics/index.php There ya go!

Thanks! And hey, now I see that I /know/ that one! It's been years... must've been when I read the completed list on belfry I guess.
But yeah, that one's pretty good. Refreshing even - but not b&w at all. :-j
Image_Image_Image
Ineluki
Keenspot Despot

Postby ForkBomb on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:17 pm

I've always liked stuff that's black and white, but uses colour occasionally for emphasis. EG magic and the TF beam etc etc.

Also, it doesn't have to be black and white, old computer screens where green and black, and things like Count Your Sheep are blue & white.

Dan discussed going B&W before, and decided against it. Like I said then, If he thinks he can get everything he needs to into it with out colour, then it gets my support.
ForkBomb
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby B.T. Isaac on Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:28 pm

Nocturn wrote:Who reads EGS for the art? Seriously?

It's a webcomic for a reason, Ya'know.

Then again, I may be asking for too much for a webcomicer who sucks at both art and storytelling.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby BinaryWraith on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:18 pm

The Old Hack wrote:
Ineluki wrote:In case you mean webcomics, care to provide some links? I /do/ try to find upsides here, but...

At the moment, the best possible example I can think of is Girl Genius, where the first three issues were printed in black and white. I suspect this was very much done intentionally by Foglio to show how the world appeared before and after Agatha lost the pendant that suppressed her Spark, just like the classic Oz movie began in black and white and only became colourised when the setting switched from Kansas to Oz.

The story starts here.

I consider this a close to ideal example as you can directly compare the coloured pages with the noncoloured pages. And while the coloured pages certainly have great merit, I nonetheless feel a special fondness for the first three black and white issues.

Yes, but frankly Foglio's art is more complex by far than EGS. He can get by on black and white with shading because he can rest on that complexity to make the viewer's eye fill in details that would normally require color.
You never saw me. I was never here.
BinaryWraith
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Tybalt on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:20 pm

ForkBomb wrote:Also, it doesn't have to be black and white, old computer screens where green and black, and things like Count Your Sheep are blue & white.

Thank you so much for the link !
My zygomatics hurt.
Tybalt
Keenspotter Supreme

Postby nitpicking on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm

I can't tell if people are deliberately insulting Dan or just being unthinking. It's not pretty either way.

Dan: don't let it get to you.
nitpicking
Grand Poobah Keenspotter

Postby B.T. Isaac on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:36 pm

nitpicking wrote:I can't tell if people are deliberately insulting Dan or just being unthinking. It's not pretty either way.

Dan: don't let it get to you.

I can see how bringing up my own comic during a discussion about EGS can be insulting. Sorry.
My avatars My Deviant art
---------------------------
ImageImage
I have this dragon egg here. Help me keep it alive by clicking it.
B.T. Isaac
Keenspot Juggernaut

Postby Gazing Rabbit on Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:50 pm

www.errantstory.com is pretty and is in B&W. Also, some of the strips were colored by another artist, you can check and see the colored version versus the B&W one.

www.sluggy.com isn't very pretty (updates every day though), and is in B&W. The artist sometimes add color effects for special purposes, like taking a standard strip and coloring red the parts that should've been red. Thus he gets a very sharp contrast effect which focuses on specific objects.

Back to topic: Frankly, I think Dan's current way of coloring subtract from the comics. It gives a cartoonish atmosphere, which doesn't go well with the realistic mindset of the characters. I know I'm not one to judge, but that's my opinion.
Interesting experiment: go read the archives of a webcomic, and try to notice the exact strip where it becomes colored. I have yet to notice such a transition.
Comment best view with your common sense turned "on".
Gazing Rabbit
Junior Keenspotter

Next

Return to El Goonish Shive